Aug-05 Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Practice Report 8/5: Rules of the Game

By Myles Simmons

[www.therams.com]

Every year there are a few changes to the NFL rulebook. Some are designed to enhance player safety, others made to quell any competitive unbalance. On Friday, a crew of NFL officials were at UC Irvine to help explain them to the Rams through a short video presentation and officiating practice.

“It’s always good when you have a referee and part of his crew out,” head coach Jeff Fisher said. “We’ll kind of informally talk; they’ll informally talk with the players, answer questions and things like that. It’s always a good meeting to attend.”

“One of the reasons we come to training camp, is to show the video and to answer questions, and then put ourselves on the field with them, so [they can] ask questions out on the field,” said referee John Hussey, who also gave a presentation to the media. “A lot of times they won’t ask a question in the meeting, just for whatever reason. But they’ll come up to you out on the field and they’ll talk in further detail. It’s very helpful for us, and I’ve always found it good to engage with the players in an environment where we can kind of interact and kind of figure stuff out.”

VIEW GALLERY | 69 Photos
PHOTOS: #RamsCamp Day 6
Fisher said he wasn’t too concerned about any of the rule changes, though there was one he brought up that may take some adjusting.

“There’s not really anything significant other than, to me, from my opinion, other than the touchback,” Fisher said. “We have to wait and see where that goes during the year. Beyond that, subtle changes related to player safety and things like that.”

While many recent changes to the rulebook have a reputation for benefiting the offense, there are a couple this year at least in part designed for defensive players. The most clear example of that is the elimination of the chop block.

From the video the officials show to players around the league, a chop block is “a two-man, high-low block, in which a defensive player is engaged above the waist by one offensive player, and blocked at the thigh or below by another offensive player.” As Hussey put it, these blocks have mostly been phased out of offenses. But in the few instances that they do happen, it is a safety issue because of the high risk for lower-leg injuries.

“If you’re out there and you see it, it’s ugly,” Hussey said. “And it engenders ill will because players have careers. I like [the change].”

Another point of emphasis this year will be the quarterback feet-first slide. This year, it’s a point of emphasis for signal-callers to get down early if they want full protection from receiving a legal hit by a defender.

“They were pushing the envelope of getting to the ground,” Hussey said. “And that’s what the point of emphasis is to them, to say, ‘hey, you want max protection and you don’t want to get touched at all, then get down early.’ And that’s the message that we hope is clear.”

That, however, doesn’t mean a defender has free reign on a quarterback who’s clearly going to the ground — particularly when it’s a player-safety issue.

If [the quarterback] slides while the defensive contact is imminent, then the defender needs to stay off the head,” Hussey said. “If he’s airborne and he’s launching, and he’s up around the head or neck area [the quarterback is] fouled. Or if [a defender] lowers the crown of his helmet to any part of his body, [the quarterback is] fouled.”

Another headline-garnering change is two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties resulting in an ejection. Officials have always had the option to eject a player if necessary — for actions such as a punch or spitting. But implementing this rule is akin to making a deterrent so players will be less likely to do whatever they’ve done again.

“This is really an emphasis toward behavior toward your official and your opponent,” Hussey said. “Taunting, actions towards us — so it’s just putting more depth in the unsportsmanlike [conduct penalties].”

There are a few more rule changes and points of emphasis that will be implemented for the 2016 season. If you’d like to watch the video the players saw about them, you can view it here.

EXTRA POINTS

— The Rams will host Family Day at the Coliseum on Saturday afternoon. The players will strap up their pads at the stadium for the first time since returning to Los Angeles.

“Oh man, that’s going to be a great feeling. It’s definitely going to be breathtaking,” offensive lineman Rodger Saffold said. “You’re talking about just a ton of people in there. It’s going to be good just to just scrimmage.”

While the event is free, fans do need to register for tickets. You can do that at the link here.

Gates open at 1 p.m. and practice will start at 3 p.m.

— Rookie wide receiver Pharoh Cooper made his return to the practice field on Friday after sitting out a few practices due to a mild quad issue.

“They’re just being precautionary about it — nothing real, real serious,” Cooper said of his quad. “It felt good to get back on the field today after a couple of days off. It was the first time I could actually put the pads on, so it felt good to be back out there with the boys instead of just watching.”

— Fisher said cornerback E.J. Gaines has a mild hamstring strain and will be out for a little while.

“I haven’t ruled him out for Dallas yet, but I’m not anticipating him doing anything tomorrow,” Fisher said.

— As expected at this point, Fisher confirmed Case Keenum will be the starting quarterback in the Rams’ first preseason game against the Cowboys on Aug. 13. Rookie QB Jared Goff will follow Keenum and get significant playing time.

“Nothing unusual — what you want to do is you want to play your starting quarterback with your starters and then you start subbing and then Jared comes in,” Fisher said. “He will get to play. I’m sure he will get to play quite a bit — probably play a half.”

— Finally, the Rams had another special guest at practice as the club hosted new Los Angeles Lakers head coach Luke Walton for Friday’s session. Fisher said he was excited to have Walton around the team.

“We made contact over a week or so ago and I was really impressed that he wanted to come down and see what we do,” Fisher said. “We got to spend a lot of one-on-one time together today, which was very, very impressive from my standpoint — to have an opportunity to learn his world and he got an opportunity to learn our world.”

Our Dani Klupenger sat down with Walton for her own one-on-one time with the head coach, which you can view in the video below.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Seriously though, if Goff is struggling it's because we're throwing him in the fire to get him up to speed.

If the idea was to coddle him and make him look good to all these new fans, I have no doubt they could have scripted some crap against a soft cover 2 shell and let him look good in front of these great big crowds.
That's not the plan. The plan is to turn this dude into our franchise QB, this year.

This is all I want. I think of the last 4 years of Fisher and how camp and preseason were all very vanilla, and then see their record the first 4 games of each year and get a little pissed. Crank it up, have these guys compete and have them in fighting mode come September.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Fisher said Goff "will probably play a half" vs Cowboys next Saturday night.

That would be nice. We already know what Keenum can do. Keenum in the first, Goff the second and third, and Mannion the fourth. It's perfect.

Sweet avatar by the way, A55VA6

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
quarterback feet-first slide. This year, it’s a point of emphasis for signal-callers to get down early if they want full protection from receiving a legal hit by a defender.

“They were pushing the envelope of getting to the ground,” Hussey said. “And that’s what the point of emphasis is to them, to say, ‘hey, you want max protection and you don’t want to get touched at all, then get down early.’ And that’s the message that we hope is clear.”

I guess we can call this the "Joiner Rule"?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So I read Goff threw one interception and two nice TD's. Is the one interception the reason people are saying he struggled? Personally at that rate it's 32 td and 16 int I don't know many people that wouldn't take that especially from a rookie QB.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's hard for me to get excited (or down) on any players...

A week into camp...

Before any preseason...

I mean I guess I prefer good news... But I just don't put much weight into it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It hard for me to get excited (or down) on any players...

A week into camp...

Before any preseason...

I mean I guess I prefer good news... But I just don't put much weight into it.

I concur and the only concern I have now is injuries, I'm confident in the coaching staff on both sides of the ball and I feel good about the talent on the team, stay healthy find a couple of gems and win at the very least 2 preseason games to keep hope alive and pick up a more consistent kicker.

lockdnram21

Legend
So I read Goff threw one interception and two nice TD's. Is the one interception the reason people are saying he struggled? Personally at that rate it's 32 td and 16 int I don't know many people that wouldn't take that especially from a rookie QB.
Its not just the one interception I've read that passes are late and he should have way more interceptions

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This is going to sound ridiculous, too, but it seemed like Keenum got more heat than Goff, and have no idea whether it's the line blocking being better when Goff was in there, the DL being afraid to hurt the #1 draft pick, or whatever.
Excellent....just excellent....did you take notes, or was this all from memory?
great work my man... @CoachO & @Hammer would be proud....

As to this question /\,I have seen Goff behind the 2nd team O-Line...And Keenum behind the ones....And most of the time, I see AD, Brockers, Quinn, and Hayes going after Keenum...so....1's against 1's...2nd's vs 2nd's...mostly....sometimes they sub the 1st team defense out often....and keep the first team offense in...
Fixed it back for ya Florida
QUICK-BE-ON-DA-BENCH
Fixed it for ya LACHAMP46
okay...we shall see...I remember the LACK of conversions on 3rd downs last year...Keeping the D on the field all day...If we want to convert on 3rd down...the money$$$$ down, we need our best targets out there...actually getting the ball thrown their way....

Earlier this week Wentz has been struggling with his passes. The Eagles have been working on his mechanics and he is throwing some out passes that actually wobble. This is from local radio ESPN. As of now Wentz will not be active for games. Hard to apply your theory here. I think all rookie QBs are going to have troubles early with NFL defenses.
Hmmm....see, I'd figure he'd struggle with mechanics...remember, Goff's footwork is magical...his pocket presence, under pressure has been honed for 3 years in the mighty Pac-12 (stay with the narrative, no giggling), I knew he'd look better, physically. I wonder does he know the checks, and does he call the plays in the huddle better? Can Wentz call plays and basically do the simple stuff, better than Goff? At this point, I don't know...
On another note, I'm pissed that Hundley won't play this Sunday....curious to see how his game has grown with the proverbial "redshirt" year.

@lockdnram21

Benjamin Allbright @AllbrightNFL
From personal observation, & talking to others Paxton Lynch is the closest to "starter" ready, followed by Wentz, Goff a distant third.
you're just tryin to get me pissed, huh?:redcard::sadwalk::mrburns::stop::palm:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Thank you @Merlin for the report!! Man I wish I could be there. As far as Albright's tweet, spare me. First week of training camp and these phuktards are declaring things like this. I can't stand most of the media these days. I doubt Wentz is even getting many reps in that camp.

fancents86

Starter
Thanks for the update, Merlin. Good to hear Marquez is doing well. I'll be rooting for him hard this season considering alot of people are willing to write him off for rookies who haven't even played a down.

Anyone know what's up with Battle? I've heard one thing and it was positive, but I'd like to know more if possible.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Anyone know what's up with Battle?

classic-bsg-shot.png

old-time-battleship.jpg

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, thanks for an outstanding report with lots of insight, Merlin.

Know what?

I think we've stumbled onto some O playmakers this offseason...

Goff (of course)
Higbee (steal)
Cooper (possible steal)
Thomas (possible steal)
Spruce (yes, Spruce)

Add in Groh who seems to be able to maximize these WR's.
An apparently "reborn" Quick.
A surging Williams.

I'm expecting that this '16 O will bear little resemblance to that pathetic '15 O.

By mid season, when they've gelled together, I predict that this O will be a real handful for our opponents. A very worthy complement to our D and ST. Finally...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Thanks for a great report, Merlin...Wow...I hope for great things with Goff and the WR group. Even with Keenum, having so many weapons to throw to could very well make us into a playoff team, as long as we keep Legatron of the field...:fuelfire:
What did I ever do to you :(

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think we've stumbled onto some O playmakers this offseason...

Goff (of course)
Higbee (steal)
Cooper (possible steal)
Thomas (possible steal)
Spruce (yes, Spruce)

Add in Groh who seems to be able to maximize these WR's.
An apparently "reborn" Quick.
A surging Williams.

I'm expecting that this '16 O will bear little resemblance to that pathetic '15 O.

By mid season, when they've gelled together, I predict that this O will be a real handful for our opponents. A very worthy complement to our D and ST. Finally...

If you are right; this would be one of the best drafts ever considering the investment to go get Goff.