Areas the Rams need to improve for the playoffs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Just some stuff off the top of my head I think they need to work on:

1. Replays/Challenges. The Rams have a "speed of processing the decision to challenge" problem, and a "when do we challenge" problem. And just my opinion here, but watching the game live is the issue. This is why I think fans so often have the call right, because we watch the live feed and see the primary camera angles immediately afterward, and thus have a better feel of "holy F challenge that now!"

My proposed fix is to have someone on the feed who is responsible for telling McVay to challenge ONLY watching the game on TV, or at the least having a TV feed right there at his fingertips. It probably sounds crazy and I might be way out of wack on this one, but IMO it would speed up the decision making process on whether to challenge. And if they already have that type of thing set up, then they need to replace who's doing it or hire someone new for that specific purpose.

2. Goff's accuracy on the run. This has been a problem for Goff all year to my eye. His accuracy dips horribly when he's moving faster than a shuffle, and at some point if he doesn't start to fix this it might cost us in a critical situation.

3. Working the refs. I think this is something McVay needs to improve on. In that game vs the Titans the officiating was effin terrible and the Rams did get some big calls in their favor, but the continued holding of Quinn and some of the other guys up front without calls was out of control.

IMO the non-calls are something that don't get enough press, and they translate back to the head coach's ability to work the refs and make them aware of the other team's BS.

4. Tip and INT drills. Rams need to do this bad IMO. Seems like of late they've left a lot of turnovers out on the field, and I think it's something that would benefit them greatly to improve on when it's sudden death playoff time.

EDIT:

5. TEs. Forgot about them, they're a group that I think have the ability to raise our offense to an even higher level of potency if one of them can emerge as a consistent passing game weapon. Higs had a couple nice catches last game, the one along the sideline was superb too, but they also have Everett with good hands, body control and RAC ability.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
Yea Goff is terrific sensing the pressure and buying time to the right. But he almost never connects on those.

I’ve rewatched the film and his WR’s
Need a lot if work on broken plays getting open when the plays occur.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Just some stuff off the top of my head I think they need to work on:

1. Replays/Challenges. The Rams have a "speed of processing the decision to challenge" problem, and a "when do we challenge" problem. And just my opinion here, but watching the game live is the issue. This is why I think fans so often have the call right, because we watch the live feed and see the primary camera angles immediately afterward, and thus have a better feel of "holy F challenge that now!"

My proposed fix is to have someone on the feed who is responsible for telling McVay to challenge ONLY watching the game on TV, or at the least having a TV feed right there at his fingertips. It probably sounds crazy and I might be way out of wack on this one, but IMO it would speed up the decision making process on whether to challenge. And if they already have that type of thing set up, then they need to replace who's doing it or hire someone new for that specific purpose.

2. Goff's accuracy on the run. This has been a problem for Goff all year to my eye. His accuracy dips horribly when he's moving faster than a shuffle, and at some point if he doesn't start to fix this it might cost us in a critical situation.

3. Working the refs. I think this is something McVay needs to improve on. In that game vs the Titans the officiating was effin terrible and the Rams did get some big calls in their favor, but the continued holding of Quinn and some of the other guys up front without calls was out of control.

IMO the non-calls are something that don't get enough press, and they translate back to the head coach's ability to work the refs and make them aware of the other team's BS.

4. Tip and INT drills. Rams need to do this bad IMO. Seems like of late they've left a lot of turnovers out on the field, and I think it's something that would benefit them greatly to improve on when it's sudden death playoff time.

EDIT:

5. TEs. Forgot about them, they're a group that I think have the ability to raise our offense to an even higher level of potency if one of them can emerge as a consistent passing game weapon. Higs had a couple nice catches last game, the one along the sideline was superb too, but they also have Everett with good hands, body control and RAC ability.
Another thing I would like to add is penalties on special teams. Especially during punt returns. I feel like it’s been a tiny bit better lately, but it’s been a sore spot all season. It kills momentum and field position which will be huge in the playoffs.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea Goff is terrific sensing the pressure and buying time to the right. But he almost never connects on those.

I’ve rewatched the film and his WR’s
Need a lot if work on broken plays getting open when the plays occur.

100% agreed. From the replays I've seen the receivers generally just shuffle across with Goff making no effort to change tack and try to get open.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
To go to the superbowl:
*all the above as mentioned by others
*Goff to make throws while submerged in the pocket (see Vikings game)
*Corner play down the field---no interference penalties
*Barwin, Ebukama and Quinn to take another step up
*Run the ball like we have the last 5 games.
*Convert ALL 3rd and 1s

Remove:
*(Goff won't be throwing better on the run until next year--if ever)

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I’d say... Goff protecting the ball in crunch time.

Endings of Was and Philly were rough

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Time Out management. It has improved, but I just hope McVay doesnt waste to many early on again. Just a small thing that could end up being big.

fearsomefour

Legend
The kick offs are a concern.
Zuerline was either a near auto touchback or he is good at directional kicking.
Ficken's kickoffs seemed very returnable.
Hopefully some time with Bones will get him dialed in.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Giving up 170 yards rushing, like we did to an unheralded Viking RB corp, is not how you win playoff games.

Ram65

Legend

I agree and would expand the thought to a couple other things. Last week he wasn't aware on the 3rd down and three of where the first down marker was. He had it but, hesitated trying to still look to pass. Cost a big first down. I don't want him to get hurt but, sometimes he slides to soon and misses some valuable yardage.

He also at times needs to step up more in the pocket to get away from getting his feet tangled with players around him. It's happened last week and he missed a open Watkins cutting across the field.

I might be nitpicking. Overall improving his throws on the run and stepping up and out of the pocket can be big plays that are needed in close playoff games.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree and would expand the thought to a couple other things. Last week he wasn't aware on the 3rd down and three of where the first down marker was. He had it but, hesitated trying to still look to pass. Cost a big first down. I don't want him to get hurt but, sometimes he slides to soon and misses some valuable yardage.

He also at times needs to step up more in the pocket to get away from getting his feet tangled with players around him. It's happened last week and he missed a open Watkins cutting across the field.

I might be nitpicking. Overall improving his throws on the run and stepping up and out of the pocket can be big plays that are needed in close playoff games.

Well yeah this whole thread is sorta nitpicking and that's kind of the point. No team's perfect, and figured it was worth some discussion to consider the things they can improve on.

Goff's "feel" does need to improve a bit in the pocket, yes. I'd also say maybe at times he needs to tuck it in and commit to running earlier in those situations, but it's hard to coach these guys on that I suppose since you want the QB looking down the field.

Some of these things, like the pocket awareness and sadly most likely the throwing on the run will require a combination of more camps and offseason work, and more snaps. But McVay I am sure is all over this kind of stuff wrt the QB position at the least and probably works it with the QB room.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Giving up 170 yards rushing, like we did to an unheralded Viking RB corp, is not how you win playoff games.

Speaking of the Vikes... The CBs need to do a better job playin the MFing ball or at least gettin their heads around when they flip their hips and go. Case misses a lot on the sideline and intermediate throws and often underthrows them, and if you don't play the ball it's gonna be a PI; conversely playing the ball can often be an INT.

Rams really got to work on that one IMO.

nighttrain

Legend
Well yeah this whole thread is sorta nitpicking and that's kind of the point. No team's perfect, and figured it was worth some discussion to consider the things they can improve on.

Goff's "feel" does need to improve a bit in the pocket, yes. I'd also say maybe at times he needs to tuck it in and commit to running earlier in those situations, but it's hard to coach these guys on that I suppose since you want the QB looking down the field.

Some of these things, like the pocket awareness and sadly most likely the throwing on the run will require a combination of more camps and offseason work, and more snaps. But McVay I am sure is all over this kind of stuff wrt the QB position at the least and probably works it with the QB room.
next year @Merlin
train

PatDaddy13

Rookie
Run defense. We give up a lot of big plays up the middle. They seem to have tightened that up a little bit in the last few weeks though.

jap

Legend
Kupp not dropping a pass, especially on 3rd down.

This should be fixed mostly by next season. All new receivers (i.e., WRs, TEs, & RBs) go through an (usually) extended adjustment period as they get used to absorbing NFL-caliber hits that first season. It's a shock to be constantly hit so hard so consistently when they hardly ever were tagged like that in the collegiate ranks. Cooper and the other youngsters need to muscle up their bodies and toughen their will to hold onto rocks during their first NFL off-season. I am especially looking for our young TEs to really extend their usefulness with stronger bodies next season.

jap

Legend

This won't happen if we meet the Norsemen again. Aaron "The Beast!" Donald has already gone on record that he wants another crack at Case. I believe he felt embarrassed when he and another fellow defender both had opportunities to sack Case on the same play, and they both went too high on the relatively short Case, who ducked on both of them successively and each go sailing harmlessly over his back. Case then completed the pass to an open receiver on what I felt was a huge momentum swing. What could have been a field position crippling sack turned into a critical first down for the Vikes. Aaron wants to make up for that mistake and others.