Are you guys sold on our defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Im in desperate need of some reassurance. As most of you may know, I am new to this team or should I say new to calling myself a fan of this team. Is our defense as good as it was last year or even better? Where will we finish the year in defensive standings?

Defensively, and i know it was only the preseason where our starters didnt play complete games etc for some reason I am somewhat concerned. Ive read several different threads here that I am not fully understanding or grasping. There seems to be some who think we are as good or better than last year and some that think we arent. thoughts please?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
DegenR(g)ambler said:
Im in desperate need of some reassurance. As most of you may know, I am new to this team or should I say new to calling myself a fan of this team. Is our defense as good as it was last year or even better? Where will we finish the year in defensive standings?

Defensively, and i know it was only the preseason where our starters didnt play complete games etc for some reason I am somewhat concerned. Ive read several different threads here that I am not fully understanding or grasping. There seems to be some who think we are as good or better than last year and some that think we arent. thoughts please?

On paper I think we are better on D.

It depends on the maturation of the young guys. Key guys are Brockers, Quinn, and Jenkins. If Brockers plays like I believe he is capable of playing this D can be stellar.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Sort of. I'm still not comfortable with the performance of Langford and him playing next to Long is bad for Long and the Rams. I think the improvement we made at other positions like Safety and LB will improve our overall D.

If you look up wiffle-waffle in the urban dictionary you will see a picture of me. I wouldn't advise doing that though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I really like our defense.

I'm not sure we come out firing week one because I expect to see mistakes from Ogletree, McDonald, and McLeod early in the season.

I hope, however, we get off to a fast start pressuring the QB and getting turnovers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
Sort of. I'm still not comfortable with the performance of Langford and him playing next to Long is bad for Long and the Rams. I think the improvement we made at other positions like Safety and LB will improve our overall D.

If you look up wiffle-waffle in the urban dictionary you will see a picture of me. I wouldn't advise doing that though.

i just googled that and you are right, i shouldnt have!

CGI_Ram said:
I really like our defense.

I'm not sure we come out firing week one because I expect to see mistakes from Ogletree, McDonald, and McLeod early in the season.

I hope, however, we get off to a fast start pressuring the QB and getting turnovers.

thats my thinking as well, turnovers? i want to see if we are capable defensively of winning ballgames and i think turnovers are going to be a big factor. in fact, do you know how many turnovers we had in the preseason and how that compares to last years def?

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I get the feeling your doubts are largely due to the preseason play. If that's the case then you can relax a little. They won't be playing strictly cover two and three schemes in the regular season.

A few things to keep in mind.

1. The d-line is a beast and has good depth. They will continue to pressure the passer and rack up sacks. The run game I'm not as sold on but it should be solid.

2. The starting lb'ers are definetly improved over last year and the depth seems to be slightly improved with the additions of Witherspoon and Ray Ray.

3. The corners are about ad good as you can ask for. The safties postion could be scary bad at times due to all the youth but I think its a solid group. Then again ask me again after four games.

Overall I don't see any reason to think this deefense won't be just as good as last years. I can't say they'll be a whole lot better but I think the more playing time they get the better they will look.

The Rams should end the season with a top ten defense.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:

Of all the things you could be concerned about regarding this defense, (youth at Safety, development of Ogletree, lack of depth at OLB), you focus on Langford?

What are you expectations of a "3 technique" DT? And while there will be times he lines up NEXT to Long, its not an every down thing.

By the very nature of the position, Langford is not going to be a "stat" guy. So if you are concerned because he doesn't make a load of plays behind the LOS, not going to garner a ton of sacks, then IMO, your concerns are unfounded. What he will do, is be strong at the point of attack, and be a compliment to Brockers.

They have put together a Dline loaded with playmakers. With Quinn, Long, Hayes, Sims, and Brockers.

If you ask me, the biggest guy to be "uncomfortable" with, it would be Robert Quinn. Unless and until he learns to be more than a "one trick pony", he will be a liability as an every down DE.

PhxRam

I am more concerned about Walton.

What kind of coordinator will he be when trying to protect a lead late in the 4th?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I think it should progress.

Last year there were times when the defense was inconsistent and others just bad.

Just like the offense, it should continue to get better.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PhxRam said:
I am more concerned about Walton.

What kind of coordinator will he be when trying to protect a lead late in the 4th?
Good point. Will he be an extension of Fisher in that regard, or will he do his own thing?

Afro Ram said:
I get the feeling your doubts are largely due to the preseason play. If that's the case then you can relax a little. They won't be playing strictly cover two and three schemes in the regular season.

A few things to keep in mind.

1. The d-line is a beast and has good depth. They will continue to pressure the passer and rack up sacks. The run game I'm not as sold on but it should be solid.

2. The starting lb'ers are definetly improved over last year and the depth seems to be slightly improved with the additions of Witherspoon and Ray Ray.

3. The corners are about ad good as you can ask for. The safties postion could be scary bad at times due to all the youth but I think its a solid group. Then again ask me again after four games.

Overall I don't see any reason to think this deefense won't be just as good as last years. I can't say they'll be a whole lot better but I think the more playing time they get the better they will look.

The Rams should end the season with a top ten defense.

thank you. i "liked" this!

fearsomefour

Legend
I look at it like this in terms of the personel....

Would I rather have last years LBs over the guys we added this year? Not at all. McIntosh was solid. Both Ogletree and Armstrong show potential to be special. Ogletree really flashed rare athletic ability for the position in Denver.

Would I rather have last years S group as a whole over this one? No. Dahl is addition by subtraction and both youngsters look like players.

Rivers adding very unusual Dline depth.

Very positive developments in my opinion. Just have to be patient with some of the young guys. The only guy from last years D that might be tough to replace is Mikell, but, there were times he would disappear as well.

Fisher/Snead said they had a three year plan. They are right on schedule as far as I can see. The D may have some rough spots in the early going (this is why I think a vet S like Giordono was kept as a fail safe sort of backup) as the young guys adjust to real game speed and game plans but this group could be one of the best in the NFL in short time.

F. Mulder

Starter
Concerns I have:

1) the ability to generate pass rush with 4 DL. Doing so makes blitzes that much more effective vs. having to constantly blitz.

2) Run Defense. I thought Quinn struggled vs the run and felt the LBers and DBs did a poor job coming up and making tackles.

3) Death by a thousand paper-cuts. I understand the reason(s) why they did it last year but this year I hope there is a lot more press coverage even if it results in the possibility of some bigger plays.

4) The ever present TE hall of fame performance. I know it was pre-season but I do not want a return to every opponent's TE looking like Tony Gonzalez against us.

On paper this is a very talented, quicker, deeper, big-play potential D. For all of the ups and downs we will see with guys like Ogletree, McDonald, and other rookies the key to me is the development of second-year players. If guys like Brockers, Jenkins, Quinn, can make the next leap then look out.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'll just say that we haven't even seen our defense this year, but I like the talent on it, the speed particularly.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
DegenR(g)ambler said:
Im in desperate need of some reassurance.
Is our defense as good as it was last year or even better?

Lets look at the facts dealing with the roster from 2012 to now 2013.

This time last yr Rams DT starters were Cudjo & Langford with only one healthy reserve Heard who was just cut from another team. DT rookies Conrath & Brockers were injured & out.

Today starters Langford & Brockers are @ 100%. Conrath is a 100% healthy & Cudjo has just returned to play. Based off that bit looks much better to me. Then throw in that our starterss have played together of most of last season & all of TC & Pre season this yr. Conrath has been very impressive. Cudjo well we know what he can do healthy. So it looks much better in this area.

DE's starters last yr was Long & Quinn with Sims as the top reserve. Hayes had not been played much & was still rounding into form from a serious shoulder issue for two yrs in Tenn. Now starters are the same Quinn is only 23 but Long is not healthy. Hayes & Sims are 100% and looking very well then add UDFA Gerald Rivers .....I would say you would be very hard pressed to find a better 5 cadre of DE's in the entire NFL!

LB'ers have been an issue forever with this Ram team...not the case any longer. In 2012 Rams had JL,Dunbar & McIntosh as starters with Haggan-Hull & Justin Cole in reserve. Rams do not have Haggan, Hull or Cole or Brown here but have added veteran Witherspoon & four Rookies. One is a #1 draft choice Alec Ogletree & another is a sensational find called Ray Ray Armstrong. This is the area where we have made major improvements and where the as the season moves on it will get even better.

CB's in 2012 Rams played three rookies (Jenkins,Johnson & pointer) one started Jenkins. Past Starter Bradley Fletcher was the 3rd corner. Big plays came from this new secondary & soon Fletcher gave way to Trumaine Johnson in the Nickle. Presently the Rams let Fletcher who had been slowed by two major knee surgeries depart & added Brandon McGee in the 5th round. One should expect that last yrs 3 rookies will be much better in their second years.

Safety....in 2012 was NOT good. Mikell & Dahl were the starters with rookies Matt Daniels & McLeod the reserves. Stewart like this yr was injured all the time. The Rams defense was killed by the lack of good play by these two safeties. Thus Fisher let both starters depart. Now 2013 Rams have replaced them with 3rd rd rookie TJ McDonald & Giordano but we have some injury concerns presently. Our new starters are McDonald & McLeod with bit hit Matt Daniels as the main reserve. Both Stewart & Giordano are injured & out. I still could argue that the safety play has improved nicely with these two younger faster players.

In conclusion; I do not see any degrading from last season I see very good improvement in all the areas that should get even better as each games passes. Does this help my new fellow ROD'mer?

BonifayRam said:
DegenR(g)ambler said:
Im in desperate need of some reassurance.
Is our defense as good as it was last year or even better?

Lets look at the facts dealing with the roster from 2012 to now 2013.

This time last yr Rams DT starters were Cudjo & Langford with only one healthy reserve Heard who was just cut from another team. DT rookies Conrath & Brockers were injured & out.

Today starters Langford & Brockers are @ 100%. Conrath is a 100% healthy & Cudjo has just returned to play. Based off that bit looks much better to me. Then throw in that our starterss have played together of most of last season & all of TC & Pre season this yr. Conrath has been very impressive. Cudjo well we know what he can do healthy. So it looks much better in this area.

DE's starters last yr was Long & Quinn with Sims as the top reserve. Hayes had not been played much & was still rounding into form from a serious shoulder issue for two yrs in Tenn. Now starters are the same Quinn is only 23 but Long is not healthy. Hayes & Sims are 100% and looking very well then add UDFA Gerald Rivers .....I would say you would be very hard pressed to find a better 5 cadre of DE's in the entire NFL!

LB'ers have been an issue forever with this Ram team...not the case any longer. In 2012 Rams had JL,Dunbar & McIntosh as starters with Haggan-Hull & Justin Cole in reserve. Rams do not have Haggan, Hull or Cole or Brown here but have added veteran Witherspoon & four Rookies. One is a #1 draft choice Alec Ogletree & another is a sensational find called Ray Ray Armstrong. This is the area where we have made major improvements and where the as the season moves on it will get even better.

CB's in 2012 Rams played three rookies (Jenkins,Johnson & pointer) one started Jenkins. Past Starter Bradley Fletcher was the 3rd corner. Big plays came from this new secondary & soon Fletcher gave way to Trumaine Johnson in the Nickle. Presently the Rams let Fletcher who had been slowed by two major knee surgeries depart & added Brandon McGee in the 5th round. One should expect that last yrs 3 rookies will be much better in their second years.

Safety....in 2012 was NOT good. Mikell & Dahl were the starters with rookies Matt Daniels & McLeod the reserves. Stewart like this yr was injured all the time. The Rams defense was killed by the lack of good play by these two safeties. Thus Fisher let both starters depart. Now 2013 Rams have replaced them with 3rd rd rookie TJ McDonald & Giordano but we have some injury concerns presently. Our new starters are McDonald & McLeod with bit hit Matt Daniels as the main reserve. Both Stewart & Giordano are injured & out. I still could argue that the safety play has improved nicely with these two younger faster players.

In conclusion; I do not see any degrading from last season I see very good improvement in all the areas that should get even better as each games passes. Does this help my new fellow ROD'mer?

thanks for taking the time. nice write up!

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Run game!! Don't want to see a highlight of some RB (Peterson) sprinting to the end zone against us all off-season.

Maybe our overall team speed will help.

If we do well against the run, this defense is gonna KILL. Having some nice leads wouldn't hurt at all.....

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CoachO liking Langford better than I do:
albefree69 said:

Of all the things you could be concerned about regarding this defense, (youth at Safety, development of Ogletree, lack of depth at OLB), you focus on Langford?

What are you expectations of a "3 technique" DT? And while there will be times he lines up NEXT to Long, its not an every down thing.

By the very nature of the position, Langford is not going to be a "stat" guy. So if you are concerned because he doesn't make a load of plays behind the LOS, not going to garner a ton of sacks, then IMO, your concerns are unfounded. What he will do, is be strong at the point of attack, and be a compliment to Brockers.

They have put together a Dline loaded with playmakers. With Quinn, Long, Hayes, Sims, and Brockers.

If you ask me, the biggest guy to be "uncomfortable" with, it would be Robert Quinn. Unless and until he learns to be more than a "one trick pony", he will be a liability as an every down DE.

I would just refer you to Rambill's commentary on game 3 and I was saying this before I read that. Briefly, he wasn't stout against the run, didn't tackle well and achieved no push on his pass rush. What else is there besides looking good in the team photo? :lol:

My comment concerning him playing next to Long was based on this:
The opposing team is going to attack our weakest link in the run game and that's Langford. I believe that will force Long to be less aggressive because he'll have to help him out. In obvious passing situations, if they keep him in (which they probably won't because of his lack of push), they will be able to double team Long with impunity.

If he actually was stout against the run I would be thinking differently about this. I have yet to see a game where he's showed this. You probably still have all these games available to watch again and I invite you to go back and try and find a good game by him. I might have missed something and I sure would feel better if you could show me where I'm wrong.

Just my opinion of course but it's why I'm nervous about this D. Of course he didn't play well last year either and our D was still good which is why I still predict we'll be improved this year because of the other things I mentioned.