Are we in a rebuild? How many wins in 2017?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A few long term players left this off season. Kendricks, Hayes, Simms, TruJo (probably), Barnes, Britt, McDonald (?), Benny C. (?)...Change to 3-4, which is a defensive formation rarely used by the Rams except when they were being tricky boys. Of course adding upgrades at LT and WR so far....

I have no clue what we will do this season. Eliminating our starting Center without any apparent replacement (sorry Rhaney, you will never be a legit starter)..... I hope that we can at least be competitive this year... (7-9? :giveup:)

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Honestly, if we can find a solid center and a decent receiver we can ride Gurley and the D to at least 8 wins. We were talented enough to win 10 games last year, but sadly Fisher didn't have them ready

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll let you know after FA and the draft.

I was trying to subtract the overconfidence about what rookies will do, which we all do...I wonder if we will get another legit, battle trained veteran like Mangold? We are about to get wrapped up in dreaming about draft picks...That's why I am asking now before....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly, if we can find a solid center and a decent receiver we can ride Gurley and the D to at least 8 wins. We were talented enough to win 10 games last year, but sadly Fisher didn't have them ready
MANGOLD!....Yeah....I don't know about our defense yet.....Seems like we are missing too many pieces there..

DrHavenstein

Rookie
Name
Ty
Hard to say without having the draft, but with this current roster is expect 4-6 wins. If we can add some nice pieces via the draft, maybe we can get some 7-9, 8-8 bullshit.

But it is a rebuild, so I'd like to see us pick in a spot next year to get a #1 WR

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It feels like a mini-rebuild, to me.

But...

That doesn't mean we can't make a run at the playoffs this year, IMO.

We've got a solid core; Donald, Goff, Gurley, Ogletree, Quinn, Brockers, Barron, Austin, Tru, Whitworth, etc. Those are good players, and/or emerging young players.

The cupboard is not bare, unlike most rebuilds.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I was trying to subtract the overconfidence about what rookies will do, which we all do...I wonder if we will get another legit, battle trained veteran like Mangold? We are about to get wrapped up in dreaming about draft picks...That's why I am asking now before....

It's too hard to say. We just cut or traded half the team. And haven't replaced them. Once we finish FA, I can give my opinion. Right now? Playing backups in starting spots because we haven't filled the holes, 3-4 wins? But I'm guessing we add at least Kayvon Webster and Ryan Groy. In that case, I'd bump us up to about 6-7 wins. A good o line and offensive scheme could put us over the top. But after that we'd still have holes at WR, LB, TE and S in my opinion. Enter the rookies.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we are currently reloading or rebuilding. Dont really know the difference. This team is going to have a lot of new faces.

IMO right now, we are starting to put the pieces in place, but lack depth at certain positions. I still believe that we can put together a winning season if we stay healthy.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Los Angeles Rams under All the way McVay will start out slow, but will gather steam and close the season at 8-8 (A record Jeff Fisher never obtained with the Rams) winning several of their last games giving hope to 2018, in which, they will have a winning record and finally entering post season, which will pave the way for winning the Super Bowl after they enter their new palatial venue in 2019.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't care about wins. I just want to see Goff progress like Derek Carr did, and the Rams become competitive by the end of the season. We will only go as far as Goff's progression takes us. Nothing against Gurley, but if we can't pass, he won't be able to run (again). Thank God the Rams are investing in a new line and new receivers. Fisher's offensive picks have not worked out well. IMHO

Zodi

Hall of Fame
The foundation, walls and roof are there. We're simply building the patio and buying new furniture.

I'd say 10 wins.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The foundation, walls and roof are there. We're simply building the patio and buying new furniture.

I'd say 10 wins.
Don't know about that...Seems to me we are missing several starters.
Offense:
1. Center
2. Wherever Saffold starts by Week 3.
3. #1 WR or #2 WR, depending on what you think Robert Woods is.
4. Higbee a starter?

3/4 Defense:
1. 3/4 DE
2. NT ? (Brockers a legit NT in a 3/4?)
3. 3/4 LBers? Is Mark Barron going to be a legit 3/4 Lb?
4. Safety (s?)

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
We just cut / let go our #1 TE, C, and WR. We also let go a starting DE and a very good backup DE. Apparently we are now looking to let go of our #1 CB. It is looking like we will lose our #1 SS as well. And possibly our #2 RB.

We will have new schemes on both sides of the ball next year with an entirely new coaching staff in place.

Make no mistake about it. This is a rebuild. But as other have said the cupboard is not bare, as is often the case with rebuilding teams. Especially on defence we have some solid players to work with. Donald, Brockers, Quinn, Ogletree, Barron, Gurley, Austin, Whitworth .... this roster still has talent.

I think we are probably looking at 7 or 8 wins. But unlike the Fisher years, that will hopefully be our record as we build to something great, and won't reflect a massive under achievement for what is on the roster.

I don't put much stock in saying "wait until after the draft". Every other team will be adding rookies via the draft, too. Most of them with a 1st round selection. I don't think the Rams will be gaining ground on too many teams through the draft this year. A more realistic bet is to see us do less with more at the draft table, find some diamonds in the rough, and keep pace with those teams with a 1st round selection.

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
We've made a lot of additions by subtraction so far. But who knows, a lot of offseason left.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
after 5 years of perpetually having the youngest team in the league but with solid pieces like 99, Tree, Goff, Gurley, and loads of young unproven talent, i think this team just needs to add more vets, lock down our best players, and mature a bit - we never seemed to get that chance with Fisher. So no, we are not in a rebuild but the start of actually having a competitve team week in and week out, preparing to take the next step into playoff competitor

McVay is gonna bring excitement and enthusiasm to this young team - i say 8-8 or 9-6 and we play with guts every week

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Mostly it's just been getting rid of all Jeff Fishers dead weight

Rams43

Hall of Fame
That's a 2 part question, Loyal.

Part 1. Yeah, this is a major renovation underway. I see 10 new faces at specific starting positions this year. Maybe more. And that's not counting Zuerlein, either. That's a sea change by anybody's definition.

Part 2. I'm optimistic about our '17 record. The remaining starters are pretty danged good. The 3 FA's brought in so far are like a breath of fresh air. This new coaching staff seems to get it. I'm expecting that TruJo trade bonanza. I'm expecting a good Snead/McVay draft. I'm also expecting good player development by this new staff.

What does all of that add up to? I think a 10-6 record is doable and will be good for 2nd place in our division. Hell, maybe even a shot at wild card, who knows? If we can sneak into the playoffs, anything can happen.

Bottom line, though? This '17 team will be miles ahead of the '16 version. Miles.

RamWoodie

Legend
NO! The Rams are not in full rebuild. They are building though. Think about it:

1. The defense is solid. Some tweaking going on.
2. The OLine needs *some* work when it comes to depth...and with the release of Barnes, center is a definite need.
3. With Britt gone...it's obvious WR is a concern/

You rebuild when you tear it all down...that's not what's happening. Let McVay make his moves/