Anybody else feel pretty comfortable about our pick at #23?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As long as they don't reach they honestly can't go wrong. Take the best guy on the board there, and chances are it will be a need position.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
As long as they don't reach they honestly can't go wrong. Take the best guy on the board there, and chances are it will be a need position.

What he said.
I would say a minimum 4 QBs, 1WRS, and 1RBs (probably 5, 2 and 2) are picked before us, meaning we have a shot at one of the best LB, DL, DE, CB, OT and OG available.
If my math is correct, we are guaranteed to get the 3rd best player (worst case), at one of these 6 positions, (assuming LS doesn't trade down).
Nice place to be.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I'll wait and see how tomorrow goes first

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What he said.
I would say a minimum 4 QBs, 1WRS, and 1RBs (probably 5, 2 and 2) are picked before us, meaning we have a shot at one of the best LB, DL, DE, CB, OT and OG available.
If my math is correct, we are guaranteed to get the 3rd best player (worst case), at one of these 6 positions, (assuming LS doesn't trade down).
Nice place to be.

No doubt. We can also start to eliminate some of the defensive elite types too tbh...

* 4 QBs: Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield almost certainly gone before 23.
* OG Nelson: he isn't going to get by Chicago, but if he does won't drop far from there.
* RB Barkley: top five (blew up the combine).
* S Fitzpatrick: 4.47 forty cemented him with his flexibility and film as a likely top ten to fifteen pick.
* ILB Edmunds: young as F, super-elite prospect and ran a 4.55 forty, top ten for sure probably to SF latest.
* CB J Jackson: covered him in the CB thread, he ran a 4.49 forty he's gone in top twenty probably to Seattle latest.
* CB Ward: another sticky cover guy with great film and ran a 4.32 cementing himself as an early prospect.
* DE Davenport: 6'6" 260 and ran a 4.58 forty, flashed in Senior Bowl game, gone very high he's a ten to fifteen guy.
* WR Ridley: instant starter in a weak WR class, he won't see twenty.
* S James: ran surprisingly slow 4.6 but impact player will be upgrade for too many teams in top twenty.
* DL/NT Vea: ran a good time for his size and no doubt in my mind he's gone top twenty.

We can pretty much cross off those 14 players IMO. Sick thing is there's still some great CB options in Hughes and Alexander. Great ILB options in Vander Esch and Evans (these two guys, just damn, with Vander Esch bringing size and range, Evans flexibility and range). Great NT option in Payne. And great OLB options in Landry (some questions on his play in some games personally) and Carter (my favorite OLB in the draft).

And that's not counting one of those guys listed high falling due to team needs. Rams will see top defensive value at 23, and might get a prospect with an equivalent grade to a top 10-15 prospect in a normal draft.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'll wait and see how tomorrow goes first
Me too!! I like the fact we are picking 23rd, But I want to see what happens Tomorrow on the "Tag Dead-Line" and in one week at the beginning of Free-Agency!! I have a feeling Snead and McVay have some more Tricks-Up-there-Sleeves!!(y);):D

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I heard Mike Mayock comment that Vander Esch was a starter for only one year. Could be that he has more to learn than other ILB prospects. Landry comes from a 3-4 defense and looked very smooth in the agility drills; I think he would be a good replacement for Quinn on the outside. Other LBs struggled because they did not have to drop back into coverage in their college system.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Me too!! I like the fact we are picking 23rd, But I want to see what happens Tomorrow on the "Tag Dead-Line" and in one week at the beginning of Free-Agency!! I have a feeling Snead and McVay have some more Tricks-Up-there-Sleeves!!(y);):D

exactly, the ways things are going , by draft night , the Rams might not even have the 23rd pick .............lol

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard Mike Mayock comment that Vander Esch was a starter for only one year. Could be that he has more to learn than other ILB prospects.

Yeah I don't know what teams are saying, or any of that. But if you just queue his film up, the dude is a legit round one talent. He's a guy I felt all along was undervalued by the media types. Posted a cutup of him in the draft section under ILBs, he is a plug and play starter for the Rams.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
After watching the DBs today at the combine, I feel pretty good the Rams could trade down in the 1st and still get a starting caliber CB. This is a great draft foe DBs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After watching the DBs today at the combine, I feel pretty good the Rams could trade down in the 1st and still get a starting caliber CB. This is a great draft foe DBs.

Yeah the position is downright insane. To the point where even taking an ILB or OLB will probably be a slight reach on their board. That's how good those corners are, and note that's taking into account fit, so the prioritization on man coverage ability. Barring 4 guys coming off the board before 23 it will probably be highest value and maybe even if they move down.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could be wrong but I thought the 5th year option only applied to the 1st 15 picks, not the entire 1st round.
It’s for the whole round. Top 10 picks 5th year option pays more than the last 22 as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah I don't know what teams are saying, or any of that. But if you just queue his film up, the dude is a legit round one talent. He's a guy I felt all along was undervalued by the media types. Posted a cutup of him in the draft section under ILBs, he is a plug and play starter for the Rams.
If Leighton Vander Esch was the pick I would bet that he would start @ the Strong Side interior LB'ing post with Alec Ogletree moving into a better playing post @ the Weak Side interior LB'ing post. those two moves alone would certainly help our weak run defense a good amount.

Still think that Todd Davis would be an excellent UFA sign to plug in @ the SSILB'er post.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah the position is downright insane. To the point where even taking an ILB or OLB will probably be a slight reach on their board. That's how good those corners are, and note that's taking into account fit, so the prioritization on man coverage ability. Barring 4 guys coming off the board before 23 it will probably be highest value and maybe even if they move down.
I would agree here but selecting a NT like Payne or Vea would be a steal IMO.

I would give Aaron Donald a very talented big brother to plug & destroy the middle of the OL so Donald can be free'd up to dominate along with Brockers each & every play. Of course the same can be said if they selected a talented Edge Rusher to line up to Donald's right & get turned loose. I just believe the talented NT like Payne or Vea would make Donald even better than he is now:seizure:!

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Depends who's available, of course - but I would have no trouble with the Rams getting a good young CB to play opposite Peters and then if Peters leaves after two seasons, take over as the #1 guy. It would give the Rams one of the top secondaries, and allow them continuity going forward. But I wouldn't mind if the Rams find a linebacker they really like, or if there's an elite NT available. Or if a great player at another position falls to them, that would be fine too. Just don't reach is all I ask. Oh, and pick football players, not just athletes.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
We have an excellent shot of getting a starting MLB, NT, or CB with our pick at #23. I definitely could see us trading back to pick up our missing 2nd rounder though, and I'd be all for that since there is depth at the positions we need. That said, I wouldn't be shocked if we drafted someone like Wynn or Daniels at #23. Not a terrible idea to get some good young lineman in the mix, though thats not to say I'd be thrilled about it.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I heard Mike Mayock comment that Vander Esch was a starter for only one year. Could be that he has more to learn than other ILB prospects. Landry comes from a 3-4 defense and looked very smooth in the agility drills; I think he would be a good replacement for Quinn on the outside. Other LBs struggled because they did not have to drop back into coverage in their college system.

I saw a video online of the Wyoming game.... he did not impress much. Guessed on some runs, did not make a ton of plays... I could see that he may need some time.

JYB

Starter
Snead’s MO with early picks is to target a guy they really like and move around to get him. I suspect it’s very unlikely they’ll just sit still and let the draft come to them. They’ll go to whatever pick they think they need to go to get their guy, whoever that guy is.