Any holes remaining after draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think many of us can come up with perceived holes at various positions but is there anywhere we're we truly lack bodies or depth? Maybe DL still, LB??

FRO

Legend
CB
Offensive line
Inside LB
Depth LB
Pass rush

I see this as a rebuilding roster with young guys needing to step up and come into their own. They definitely have guys who are candidates to do so. It's just going to be tough to go up against more established rosters.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, we certainly have the bodies at CB.

CB:
Johnson
Gaines
Webster
Hill

NB:
Joyner
Robby-Coleman

BeefJurky

Rookie
we need a backup center
Sullivan hasn't started more than a couple games per year since 2014, theres a good chance he won't this year so I'd like someone to be able to compete with Rhaney, a 7 rounder himself who was unable to beat out Barnes

WestCoastRam

Legend
Great point @BeefJurky, I have to imagine the plan is for one of the guards to be cross-trained there, but boy that doesn't give me confidence.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
This coaching staff may value Rhaney more than the previous staff because they had plenty of chances to pick up a quality center in this draft if they felt it was a need.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Do we have a backup to Brockers?
Would that be Walker?

If Brockers went down to injury, i'd have to say no we don't. Walker has excellent pass rush skills, but he's a lousy run defender, for me he's a situational rotation DT/DE. I'd like to add a free agent NT with good rush defense skills once the cuts get underway, even if he's just a practice squad guy who would only come up in the event of injury. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm done worrying about that for now. Gonna wait for preseason and early season games which will tell us where we're weak. There's gonna be holes, but maybe not in every spot we think.

Ram65

Legend
Smart could play some NT according to Coach Johnson.

The defensive line and Lbers will have to be sorted out as far as depth goes. I think it should be good. Hard to replace a player like Brokers should he get hurt or Donald.

When the coaching McVay and Phillips took over who would have thought the Rams could have revamped the secondary, improved the offensive line and added future playmakers to the offense so quickly. Depth is the big question mark but, isn't always?

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/D-Line-Coach-Bill-Johnson-Comments-on-Smart/5354057e-491f-4546-868e-6823bdc6479f

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We signed two UDFA to compete at Center along with what the coaches have already stated will happen in veterans working there as well. I'm happy with the roster. Love our starting CB and Safeties, we have veteran OLB to rush the passer with some talented youth behind it. We have two good starting ILB and some youth behind them. We have a damned good rotational DLine.

WR might be a strength of the roster now and there is a lot of talent at the TE position. Gurley has Dunbar, Green, Brown and our UDFA backing him up. I like where the roster is at personally.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Corner is a much bigger need than some think. Specifically outside corners because we have plenty of players (NRC, Joyner, J. Johnson, Gaines) that can play nickel. For viable outside guys we just have Tru J., Webster, and Gaines. I don't consider Troy Hill and Michael Jordan reliable talent. When we start losing DBs to injury, which will happen, opposing QBs will have certain players to pick on throughout the game like they did with Sensabaugh.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Smart is a penetrating NT Brockers backup IMO.

Which begs the question, will Brockers be playing a single gap attacking role in Wade's defense and not the typical 2-gap play in the the 3-4 or even in his 4-3 work last year.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
If any holes means are there starters and back-ups for each position currently on the 90 man roster, then no there are no holes.
On the other hand, there are huge question marks as far as starters and back-ups throughout the roster. Almost all positions fall into this category.

Oline, if it is 2015 potential + 2 starters at OT and C, could be really good. If 2016 was more indicative and Sullivan does not get healthy there may be lots of holes.
Gurley , what we saw in early 2015 or just another guy.
Goff, time will tell.
WR seems like rookies are the key.
TE rookie and 2nd year players, have to grow.
DL may be the strongest but what about backup quality
LB can they transition?
DBs will they improve?

Special teams are really good though

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They covered their needs for this year. Are their future holes to be worried about? Sure but it is year 1 for a new staff. This year will be about getting started and further evaluation of the roster. There are players that they still need to learn about. We can't expect that they will be in the playoffs in the first year. Sure it would be nice but this is a partial rebuild. It takes time.

I really hope that they are able to trade a few parts that they find don't fit so well. A few extra picks for next years draft would be great to help the rebuild.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Depth wise an inury to a tackle would require shuffling
Which begs the question, will Brockers be playing a single gap attacking role in Wade's defense and not the typical 2-gap play in the the 3-4 or even in his 4-3 work last year.

Wade likes his DL to penetrate and one gap unlike the traditional 3-4. Brockers will probably be asked to penetrate and cause problems with his power from the 1 tech spot.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Smart could play some NT according to Coach Johnson.

The defensive line and Lbers will have to be sorted out as far as depth goes. I think it should be good. Hard to replace a player like Brokers should he get hurt or Donald.

When the coaching McVay and Phillips took over who would have thought the Rams could have revamped the secondary, improved the offensive line and added future playmakers to the offense so quickly. Depth is the big question mark but, isn't always?

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/D-Line-Coach-Bill-Johnson-Comments-on-Smart/5354057e-491f-4546-868e-6823bdc6479f

Aaron Donald Clone (Short Football players with size and strength often have a tremendous advantage.)
Center of Gravity
A shorter player also has an advantage over a taller player because he has a lower center of gravity.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Aaron Donald Clone (Short Football players with size and strength often have a tremendous advantage.)
Center of Gravity
A shorter player also has an advantage over a taller player because he has a lower center of gravity.
gives them tremendous leverage especially when they also have speed and strength

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Corner is a much bigger need than some think. Specifically outside corners because we have plenty of players (NRC, Joyner, J. Johnson, Gaines) that can play nickel. For viable outside guys we just have Tru J., Webster, and Gaines. I don't consider Troy Hill and Michael Jordan reliable talent. When we start losing DBs to injury, which will happen, opposing QBs will have certain players to pick on throughout the game like they did with Sensabaugh.
But isn't that true for most, if not all, teams? I wonder how many teams could say their 6th CB would be a reliable talent. Hill and Jordan could develop into reliable talent, they're entering their second year after going undrafted and playing in/starting in multiple games. Jordan's first 2 games of the season were against NE and ATL(starter), not an easy task.