Any holes remaining after draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BeefJurky

Rookie
We signed two UDFA to compete at Center along with what the coaches have already stated will happen in veterans working there as well. I'm happy with the roster. Love our starting CB and Safeties, we have veteran OLB to rush the passer with some talented youth behind it. We have two good starting ILB and some youth behind them. We have a damned good rotational DLine.

WR might be a strength of the roster now and there is a lot of talent at the TE position. Gurley has Dunbar, Green, Brown and our UDFA backing him up. I like where the roster is at personally.

At WR, our average talent level has increased a lot.
Woods, Austin, Kupp, Cooper, Reynolds...

But I feel like the individual ceiling hasn't raised much if at all. I don't know if Woods is better than Britt but he's comparable for now, so I'm still wondering if we are missing a true WR1 but then again some teams do fine without "that guy" aka look at the Patriots. They have success with depth like we have as opposed to having 1 superstar and a few meh guys..but then again thats Tom Brady we are talking about. A WR1 does a lot to draw focus and open up the other targets too.

That might not make sense lol let me know if you feel me

BeefJurky

Rookie
Here's how I imagine our receivers roles:

-Tavon: Gadget, short/medium range, potential for a deep threat based on his wheels but unknown.
-Woods: Effectively our most complete receiver and our WR1. short/intermediate/long range, primary target. Reliable and safe but might lack the stellar attributes of our other guys (Tavon's speed and Kupp's hands)
-Kupp: WR2, slot target, 3rd down king of moving the chains. Can make tough catches, through traffic, contested balls, so it really allows Goff to sling it to him if theres even a slim chance of him catching it.
-Reynolds: Fuck it and chuck it mostly. He's not blazing fast like Tavon or other burners (Mike Thomas?) but his body positioning and ball tracking/awareness are elite. If he can get seperation like on a double move, thats where he'll shine. aka no more drops like this:
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000757503/Mike-Thomas-drops-a-pass-from-Jared-Goff

Dunbar and Gurley and even Rogers can catch out of the backfield, screens, flats, wheels, etc.

Everett and Higbee are gonna create mismatches on slow LBs or safetys. McVay loves his TEs as targets

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Body count wise, with the 90 men we now have, We don't have any holes per say.
But weather or not we have needs we won't be able to tell until the pre-season is over and we see the first couple of real games! I think that goes with-out saying!
But I really like everyone the Rams have brought in, and I haven't been able to say that in a while!(y);):D

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Corner is a much bigger need than some think. Specifically outside corners because we have plenty of players (NRC, Joyner, J. Johnson, Gaines) that can play nickel. For viable outside guys we just have Tru J., Webster, and Gaines. I don't consider Troy Hill and Michael Jordan reliable talent. When we start losing DBs to injury, which will happen, opposing QBs will have certain players to pick on throughout the game like they did with Sensabaugh.

We did pick up a bunch from udfa. Maybe one of these guys will stand out and be able serve as depth and eventually develop.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
TBH, DB is probably the 1 position group that Fisher and staff had an eye for and could develop. So the Rams arent really all that bad off at CB IMO.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
We did pick up a bunch from udfa. Maybe one of these guys will stand out and be able serve as depth and eventually develop.

There are holes at CB in terms of looking out the over the next few years, but I agree that they have it covered for this season.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
But isn't that true for most, if not all, teams? I wonder how many teams could say their 6th CB would be a reliable talent. Hill and Jordan could develop into reliable talent, they're entering their second year after going undrafted and playing in/starting in multiple games. Jordan's first 2 games of the season were against NE and ATL(starter), not an easy task.
So damn true! NO TEAM has EVERY 53 man on their team locked up. You just can't afford that with the salary cap. You have depth. and how good that depth is at each position/unit varies from team to team. EVERY team has weaknesses. they key is being able to mask those weaknesses and cover your deficiencies with the strengths of your team. That is why the Patriots change there roster every damn season. They have their strengths covered, and then just fill in voids with guys who are just doing their jobs. I see McVay preaching this same thing. Unlike fisher ... who had his strengths ( mostly Defense) and just expect them to carry the team. the bottom of your roster will always be churning over. But in all three phases of the game, you have to have strengths, then JAG's buying into just doing their job. The next year, you are going to have to replenish the bottom of your roster and replace a key guy here and there. that is the salary cap.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

But I feel like the individual ceiling hasn't raised much if at all. I don't know if Woods is better than Britt but he's comparable for now, so I'm still wondering if we are missing a true WR1 but then again some teams do fine without "that guy" aka look at the Patriots. They have success with depth like we have as opposed to having 1 superstar and a few meh guys..but then again thats Tom Brady we are talking about. A WR1 does a lot to draw focus and open up the other targets too.

A WR1 could draw double coverages and try to make it easier for the others running routes. But what makes it better? If all the WR's and TE on a passing play are able to run good routes and catch the ball. Now you have 4 or 5 guys out in the pattern able to hurt the defense. Most teams with a WR1 lack a 2 so all they have is a good WR being doubled and they're hoping the other options can get it done. Most of the time they can't and the ball is forced into the WR1's hands and run the risk of interceptions throwing into heavy coverage. I like their approach all the guys they've drafted and signed are good route runners, hard workers and able to catch the ball. I think we'll be much better with this crew than last years. But I'm the eternal optimist so take it for what it's worth :D

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
So damn true! NO TEAM has EVERY 53 man on their team locked up. You just can't afford that with the salary cap. You have depth. and how good that depth is at each position/unit varies from team to team. EVERY team has weaknesses. they key is being able to mask those weaknesses and cover your deficiencies with the strengths of your team. That is why the Patriots change there roster every damn season. They have their strengths covered, and then just fill in voids with guys who are just doing their jobs. I see McVay preaching this same thing. Unlike fisher ... who had his strengths ( mostly Defense) and just expect them to carry the team. the bottom of your roster will always be churning over. But in all three phases of the game, you have to have strengths, then JAG's buying into just doing their job. The next year, you are going to have to replenish the bottom of your roster and replace a key guy here and there. that is the salary cap.
That and the roster size will always create "holes", it all depends on injury luck. You can only have so many players at each position, and no team can predict what position groups get injured. Almost every team would have a "hole" on their team if their starting QB went down.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yep, the Eagles were drafting a starting DE and at least one starting CB in this draft, and they are still short a starting CB. They have no secondary depth at all.

Plus, they do not have a starting RB right now either, having 3 small backs in Sproles, Smallwood, and now Pumphrey. They are apparently going to let Matthews go. I think he got hurt again during the offseason. They are tired of him never being available

Ram65

Legend

Throw out last year.

McVay has a completely different approach to offense. I'm not saying he has all the answers but he has an advanced offensive mind. At some point he will most likely run the offense through Everett like he did with Jordan. Everett can become a monster that will create a mismatch as a move TE (for the most part).Until then, Everett and Higbee give lots of versatility with movement and even lining up outside. McVay uses read and react routes. Kupp will also be an immediate asset as he can already read defenses (listen to McVay at the press conference). McVay keeps talking about packages and is putting them together. The new fullback Sam Rodgers has great hands as does Lance Dunbar the free agent tailback. Seems like you answered similarly down below. You got Woods down as primary and reliable target. Tavon as a wild card that can go short to deep. Reynolds with a big catch radius and a deep threat with great body position. Heck McVay mentioned Hemingway looking good in OTAs.

The Rams offense has more weapons that can be used in a variety of ways and at different times in the passing game. You will see many different sets with the availability of three receiving TEs, catching RBs and FB and many different but, sure handed reliable WRs. Everyone is more than a capable blocker as well. McVay will be able to pass or run on many different set/packages. He will be able to keep defenses off balance. He and the Rams don't need that so called number 1 WR.

Here's how I imagine our receivers roles:

-Tavon: Gadget, short/medium range, potential for a deep threat based on his wheels but unknown.
-Woods: Effectively our most complete receiver and our WR1. short/intermediate/long range, primary target. Reliable and safe but might lack the stellar attributes of our other guys (Tavon's speed and Kupp's hands)
-Kupp: WR2, slot target, 3rd down king of moving the chains. Can make tough catches, through traffic, contested balls, so it really allows Goff to sling it to him if theres even a slim chance of him catching it.
-Reynolds: freak it and chuck it mostly. He's not blazing fast like Tavon or other burners (Mike Thomas?) but his body positioning and ball tracking/awareness are elite. If he can get seperation like on a double move, thats where he'll shine. aka no more drops like this:
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000757503/Mike-Thomas-drops-a-pass-from-Jared-Goff

Dunbar and Gurley and even Rogers can catch out of the backfield, screens, flats, wheels, etc.

Everett and Higbee are gonna create mismatches on slow LBs or safetys. McVay loves his TEs as targets

Last edited:

RAMBUSH

Starter
we need a backup center
Sullivan hasn't started more than a couple games per year since 2014, theres a good chance he won't this year so I'd like someone to be able to compete with Rhaney, a 7 rounder himself who was unable to beat out Barnes
Very good point ! I agree 100%.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I get a kick out of complaints that our WR's and TE weren't productive in an offense that wasn't designed to be productive in this century. I'm all for criticizing their hands or route running. But I doubt many players would have excelled statistically in Fishers garbage of an offense.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I will feel a helluva lot better once I've read camp reports and seen with my own eyes that we have a solid backup C.

Snead said that one of the UDFA players was high on Kromer's wish list as a C. Might've had as high as a 5th round grade, even. So, we'll see.

I do have a lot of faith in Kromer's ability to cross train an OG over to C. And there's always the final cuts from other teams route.

I'm not losing sleep over it, mind you, but it's the closest thing to a hole that we have left. Assuming that Goff takes a big step up, of course. Gulp...

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Which begs the question, will Brockers be playing a single gap attacking role in Wade's defense and not the typical 2-gap play in the the 3-4 or even in his 4-3 work last year.

Wade plays a 1 gap 3-4, but basically its a 4-3 w/ OLB on the line and the offense doesn't now where the rush will be coming from. Thats if I understand Wade's concept.. Big if though

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess what I don't know is if Wade's 3-4 has all one-gap penetrators or just some and others two gapping. Traditionally, the 3-4 has all the dlinemen two-gap. I don't know that Wade just has everyone one-gap. Even many 4-3 defenses have at least one DT two-gap (ala ours when Donald came on).

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wade plays a 1 gap 3-4, but basically its a 4-3 w/ OLB on the line and the offense doesn't now where the rush will be coming from. Thats if I understand Wade's concept.. Big if though

With a 4-3 under which is kinda what you're describing, at least one DT two-gaps if I'm not mistaken.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They covered their needs for this year. Are their future holes to be worried about? Sure but it is year 1 for a new staff. This year will be about getting started and further evaluation of the roster. There are players that they still need to learn about. We can't expect that they will be in the playoffs in the first year. Sure it would be nice but this is a partial rebuild. It takes time.

I really hope that they are able to trade a few parts that they find don't fit so well. A few extra picks for next years draft would be great to help the rebuild.

Good post.

I think they have a general direction they want to go...but this first year will be throwing it on a wall and seeing what sticks. It's a no-lose situation for McVay in this first year.

I also think that having talent on defense and a very good defensive coordinator will really help the defense. We will be able to withstand injury to anyone except Aaron Donald IMO, as long as it's not 5 starters at a time.

On offense they have to figure this OL out, and while I would've been okay with us drafting Lamp, I also understand not wanting to bring more youth and inexperience to the OL. You have 5 young guys who have all started games - time to figure out what we actually have in them.