Any doubt that McVay is damned serious about the OL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMBUSH

Starter
I would bet all my current rod dollars that g-Rob starts every game and plays well this year .

TexasRam

Legend
I would bet all my current rod dollars that g-Rob starts every game and plays well this year .

I will bet you all my Rod Dollars that he won't play every game and if he does he won't play well. If he does play all games we could host the vote here on this site.

RAMBUSH

Starter
I will bet you all my Rod Dollars that he won't play every game and if he does he won't play well. If he does play all games we could host the vote here on this site.
Well, I don't know how many I got , or how to go about doing such a thing . But your on ... if you know how...

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I still hope we can draft another OG that can possible be able to start at some point this season. I like Javon Brown. I think he will bounce back this year and be a good player for us. Donnal appears to be a less of a fit in new system. Not a power guy imho where as Javon Brown thats his game. Prefer to have Donnal be a back up. Wichmann is the wild card moving fwd imho also

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sullivan is not an answer at Center. He's a stopgap "just in case the draft doesn't go our way at center" option.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
C'mon FLV, get the odds going on who starts the season on the OL. :help:
Left to Right;
Whitworth
Saffold
Sullivan
Brown
Havenstein

Backups;
Robinson T/G
Draft pick Center
Wichmann G/C
Donnal

Practice Squad;
Murphy
Williams
Late draft pick/UDFA

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Four of these young Ram OL'ers we have been mentioning here in this thread.....have back to back seasons dealing with injuries. #1-Starting OLG/ORG Cody Wichmann has had back to back high ankle sprains on the same lower leg. #2-OLG/ORG Jamon Brown had a badly broken leg his rookie season & was very slow to recover from it then about the time he was catching up he broke his hand. #3-RT/LG/RG Andrew Donnal in his rookie season was shelved after game 8 with a grade level 3 knee sprain & then later half of 2016 injured his hip continued to play ,after the season had surgery on it. #4- Darrell Williams in his rookie season dislocated & tore just about all the wrist ligaments & was IR'd. Williams was still having big issues with an UN healthy wrist in 2016 & was IR'd do to it when the season got underway.

The others in this discussion .....RT Rob Havenstein was iron man his rookie season but before the OTA's got underway broke his big toe which caused all kinds of other nagging injuries to his lower leg through-out the 2016 season. This OL'er in hindsight should have been IR'd. Havenstein will now move to RG post.

With the injuries to OT's Havenstein & Donnal, Rookie OT 6-6 308 pound Pace Murphy was activated & ended up seeing a ton of action @ RT post in the last two games was impressive on the technical side but needs to gain strength. With the injury shelved OG Cody Wichmann, RG David Arkin was activated & played in the offense as the third OT at times. Even with the injured & damaged foot center Tim Barnes back up center Demetrius Rhaney saw very little action in 2016.

The big Unknown here is or IF Aaron Kromer has his sights set on developing a current Ram starting OL'er to play center or be the the top reserve. No ideal who that could be .....whomever decides to step up & with an excellent work ethic & has a proven record to be coached up on the technical side of the position. One would surmise that interior OL'er 3rd yr OG Cody Wichmann may need to step up into the center position here to earn a roster spot in his 3rd season.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I'm not so hopeful that it will be average. Kromer has a lot to overcome, the OL was a mess.
Under Kromer tutelage offensive line will show improvement and get better in all areas. Kromer will make something out of first-round bust LT Greg Robinson.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I thought they were done, and then they sign Tre Jackson. Yes they are DAMN serious about the OL IF Jackson is completely healthy, he could be starting material.

I got a feeling Rams will have a starting OL no one has yet to foresee

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought they were done, and then they sign Tre Jackson. Yes they are DAMN serious about the OL IF Jackson is completely healthy, he could be starting material.

I got a feeling Rams will have a starting OL no one has yet to foresee

You're gonna need an assistant just to help watch the OL drills for your camp reports, bubba. Lol.

BadCompany

Rookie
Sullivan is not an answer at Center. He's a stopgap "just in case the draft doesn't go our way at center" option.

So I was wondering about this... I keep hearing people say we should draft a center in the mid rounds, but given our failure to get an impact guy - or even just a guy - with that philosophy, wouldn't it be better to simply use our second round pick on the best available guy? I know center isn't usually thought of as a premium-pick position, and I know we have other needs... but if we're going to base the near-to-mid-term future of the franchise on getting Goff and Gurley going, then shouldn't we be putting as many of our best resources as we can into the O-Line?

I know people will say "but you can get a guy who is as good, or close to being as good, in the 4th or 5th rounds"... but what if that fails? What if you end up with the 6th best center, because for some unknown reason there was a run on them? Birds in the bush hatching chickens into your hands and all that.

It may not be sexy, but if we can get an above average, or even dare I say it, a Pro Bowl center with our second round pick, then surely that would be worth it?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Again. Based on what?

Please give me any reason that you think this could happen based on what we've seen of his career so far?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

I'm not trying to ruin the good vibes party here....but...

Tre Jackson's best season was his junior year in college.

He did so well that I found several reports that thought he would have a dominating senior year, which he did not.

He then came out rated as a 3rd prospect but fell to the 5th round.

New England was so desperate for help on the o-line that they did something they never do and started the rookie where he looked OK between two excellent lineman.

Unfortunately it's been all downhill since there.

I think he has about the same chance of making this team as a backup Guard as anybody else excepting he only plays Guard.

Players that play two positions like Donnal, Wichmann and even Darrell Williams could make the cut because of their versatility before Jackson. JMO.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
With all the attention and player moves (cuts, signings, position changes) on the OL, they could very well go OL with their 1st or 2nd selection. This new coaching staff realizes that if the Rams offense is going to have ANY chance for success, the OL HAS to improve, and not just a little. MAJOR improvement. Goff needs a pocket to step back into and Gurley doesn't need to fight an defender for the handoff, and holes to get yards.

When Kromer and McVay first started looking at game film to assess the OL they must have laughed or cried. But they both must have agreed, that the OL was a mess, and that LT and C had to be addressed first and foremost. Bye bye Barnes, move GRob to the other side, Hello Whitworth and Sullivan.

And they're still not done tweeking the OL. They've had over a week with players, and they must have an idea of at least how much each players knows and processes knowledge of their position.

That they're still tweeking makes me think they are not satisfied with what they have.

Yes 43, I'm going to have a lot to report. The OL position group is the biggest question mark on the entire team. Who will make the 53, who will play where, who will get cut? What kind of scheme will Kromer employ, Zone? Power?

Going to be real interesting TC.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I see a direct correlation between a really really bad O line and the Rams 12 year losing streak.

To me it all starts with the O-line.

Bubba, from what I've been able to pick up, McVay ran a combination ZBS/MBS in Washington.

Most of our players drafted were MBS in college but I have noticed that the Rams, in the last couple of years, have ran both MBS and ZBS plays.

Switching players over from MBS to ZBS might have been part of the reason that their learning curve was behind.

RAMBUSH

Starter
Again. Based on what?

Please give me any reason that you think this could happen based on what we've seen of his career so far?
I guess I don't have anything to base this on .. I justill think the man has all the tools to be a solid starter in this league ... he is huge and strong , we will see if new coaching will help .