Any chance Saffold is the future LT?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JRobinson

MiLB
Is Saffold our future LT? Really?

Unless I’m completely missing something, I’m pretty sure he has about a good 3-4 years left of good production. Our “future” LT is most likely not even on our roster yet. Saffold is our legit LG where he will remain baring injury, and even then, he may remain there.

jap

Legend
To play left tackle in this league, one has to be able to dance on the edges with grace, finesse, and power. Roger "Beetlejuice" Saffold does not have that grace & finesse and has hurt himself so often trying to do more than his body allows him to do. Roger will give you his all . . . and then some. But he is at his very best playing in a phone booth at guard. He possesses enough agility to lead sweeps and screen passes but not enough agility to consistently stymie athletic defensive ends without risking serious injury.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is Saffold our future LT? Really?

Unless I’m completely missing something, I’m pretty sure he has about a good 3-4 years left of good production. Our “future” LT is most likely not even on our roster yet. Saffold is our legit LG where he will remain baring injury, and even then, he may remain there.

Future does not mean long-term.... just saying he might end up taking over for Whitworth at some point until they find a long-term solution. I just don't see them being in position to get that answer anytime soon with the other holes on the roster that need immediate attention.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like Saffold in the role he’s in.

Guard. Back up Tackle.

Our LT of the future is probably coming from this draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Future does not mean long-term.... just saying he might end up taking over for Whitworth at some point until they find a long-term solution. I just don't see them being in position to get that answer anytime soon with the other holes on the roster that need immediate attention.
Your post is a good discussion certainly those who are many here have little to say other than No....& say the future LT resides in the draft. That's a solid no brainer.

Most all would have to agree with that because the Rams do not have any legit contending LT prospect on the roster now, nor did they have one in the 2017 season or the 2016 season nor the 2015 season. Maybe a few weeks in 2014 before Jake Long went out the Rams had one (or what they thought was one in GRob :rolllaugh:). Thus I am sure is the reason for your post in the first place..........Fact is Saffold has been our only back up LT for many seasons & if things remain the same he will once more be that main back up to a unhealthy or gone Whitworth. Most do not like that but it does not change a thing here.

Rams certainly do not have a good working past in finding future LT's either just recall first round sections of Jason Smith(#2 overall pick) or Alex Barron & GRob (#2 overall pick) for the proof of Rams consistent "Fail Mode" in this area. Whitworth may be the best one season LT since shall I say it ??? o_ORodger Saffold 2010 season:sneaky:. Oh by the way Jake Long was no success either it was a much the same dismal Fail Mode as the other 3 were.

flv post says it clear about Saffold too ....Saffold stands a very good chance to be out of the Rams uni after next season anyway & far from being the future Rams LT. I do not think they will be able to come close to offer Saffold a contract to remain @ LG after this yr so its a good chance we may be enjoying the likes of a Jake Eldrenkamp or Aaron Nearly as our starting LG in the future.

In truth the Rams most likely are involved in trying to figure out who will be our future starting LT, LG, RG & RT after the conclusion of the 2018 season.:shocking:

Who is Cornelius Lucas?

train
He was a WWC OT who the Rams picked up mid season last yr. He dressed for one game & started @ RT in the 9er loss. He is NOT under any contract for any NFL team in 2018. @ best he is an emergency swing OT candidate for a NFL team who are in a weak situation @ OT.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your post is a good discussion certainly those who are many here have little to say other than No....& say the future LT resides in the draft. That's a solid no brainer.

Most all would have to agree with that because the Rams do not have any legit contending LT prospect on the roster now, nor did they have one in the 2017 season or the 2016 season nor the 2015 season. Maybe a few weeks in 2014 before Jake Long went out the Rams had one (or what they thought was one in GRob :rolllaugh:). Thus I am sure is the reason for your post in the first place..........Fact is Saffold has been our only back up LT for many seasons & if things remain the same he will once more be that main back up to a unhealthy or gone Whitworth. Most do not like that but it does not change a thing here.

Rams certainly do not have a good working past in finding future LT's either just recall first round sections of Jason Smith(#2 overall pick) or Alex Barron & GRob (#2 overall pick) for the proof of Rams consistent "Fail Mode" in this area. Whitworth may be the best one season LT since shall I say it ??? o_ORodger Saffold 2010 season:sneaky:. Oh by the way Jake Long was no success either it was a much the same dismal Fail Mode as the other 3 were.

flv post says it clear about Saffold too ....Saffold stands a very good chance to be out of the Rams uni after next season anyway & far from being the future Rams LT. I do not think they will be able to come close to offer Saffold a contract to remain @ LG after this yr so its a good chance we may be enjoying the likes of a Jake Eldrenkamp or Aaron Nearly as our starting LG in the future.

In truth the Rams most likely are involved in trying to figure out who will be our future starting LT, LG, RG & RT after the conclusion of the 2018 season.:shocking:

He was a WWC OT who the Rams picked up mid season last yr. He dressed for one game & started @ RT in the 9er loss. He is NOT under any contract for any NFL team in 2018. @ best he is an emergency swing OT candidate for a NFL team who are in a weak situation @ OT.
He's been our backup LT for years but hasn't taken a snap there in years? Whitworth goes down for a bit and what does McVay and Kromer do? Bring in Williams not move Saffold over and plug somebody else is. The problem with thinking Saffold should just slide over to LT is now you've weakened two positions. You take somebody who in the past hasn't been good at LT (I know you think he's great but the guy has been replaced at LT at least twice and this last season instead of moving him over they signed a vet) and you've weakened LT. Then you have to plug in a lesser player at LG and you've now weakened Jared's entire blindside. Sorry better option is to put in Williams and keep the near Pro Bowl LG next to him and give him help outside with a TE to chip. Not perfect by any means but with our current roster it is the best option.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sorry better option is to put in Williams and keep the near Pro Bowl LG next to him and give him help outside with a TE to chip. Not perfect by any means but with our current roster it is the best option.

This is where an upgrade is needed, IMO, Williams is not a player you can count on against the 49ers, he did not impress, whereas, RT Cornelius Lucas did. I want to see if Lucas can handle LT, also would like to draft a future left offensive tackle and guard, but I concur leaving Saffold at LG because when Saffold played Tackle, he also seemed to get hurt.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He's been our backup LT for years but hasn't taken a snap there in years? Whitworth goes down for a bit and what does McVay and Kromer do? Bring in Williams not move Saffold over and plug somebody else is. The problem with thinking Saffold should just slide over to LT is now you've weakened two positions. You take somebody who in the past hasn't been good at LT (I know you think he's great but the guy has been replaced at LT at least twice and this last season instead of moving him over they signed a vet) and you've weakened LT. Then you have to plug in a lesser player at LG and you've now weakened Jared's entire blindside. Sorry better option is to put in Williams and keep the near Pro Bowl LG next to him and give him help outside with a TE to chip. Not perfect by any means but with our current roster it is the best option.
Good Morning OldSchool :coffee:. I believe we have had this discussion before. First we know you & I have never agreed on Saffold & never will. Great chance that we will not have to have this debate after 2018 either. Your points on Saffold getting injured @ LT has merit but that because he has so many seasons & events when he was the starting Rams LT too.;)

To get the timing down right on the last time Rodger Saffold started @ Left OT was on 12/30 2016. About 13 months ago. Darrell Williams is not under Ram contract @ this time. If they do decide to offer him a contract... I am sure he would be listed on the depth chart @ LT since that the only real OL post he can manage with his limited skill set. DW was a Ram from 2015/2016 & 2017 & saw action as a starter in one game @ LT his only start was wk #17.

The fact is IF Whitworth were to go down for a moderate to longer period of time places the OL in a weaken state this state ..would be there even if there were no Saffold available to insert. So Saffold does not add to this issue by the mere mentioning of his name does it. Rams best playing OG is Saffold so naturally any OL'er who is plugged in @ LG would be a lesser player that's a given. I would never plan to utilize a Darrell Williams for any moderate or long term period of time @ starting LT. Our current best reserve OL'er is Austin Blythe not Darrell Williams.

The situation is not a good one to be in & thus its a matter that must be addressed ASAP. The options are few & either expensive or costly in future Ram team investments & assets. Until this matter is rectified my humble suggested plan for the long term @ the moment would be Saffold in for Whitworth @ LT & Austin Blyhte @ LG. If that makes you :sick: then let us both hope that our team can :lifting: & come up with a much better solution....I sure hope so(y). I wish them great luck in this huge undertaking.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is where an upgrade is needed, IMO, Williams is not a player you can count on against the 49ers, he did not impress, whereas, RT Cornelius Lucas did. I want to see if Lucas can handle LT, also would like to draft a future left offensive tackle and guard, but I concur leaving Saffold at LG because when Saffold played Tackle, he also seemed to get hurt.
See my just now posted mock offseason :)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good Morning OldSchool :coffee:. I believe we have had this discussion before. First we know you & I have never agreed on Saffold & never will. Great chance that we will not have to have this debate after 2018 either. Your points on Saffold getting injured @ LT has merit but that because he has so many seasons & events when he was the starting Rams LT too.;)

To get the timing down right on the last time Rodger Saffold started @ Left OT was on 12/30 2016. About 13 months ago. Darrell Williams is not under Ram contract @ this time. If they do decide to offer him a contract... I am sure he would be listed on the depth chart @ LT since that the only real OL post he can manage with his limited skill set. DW was a Ram from 2015/2016 & 2017 & saw action as a starter in one game @ LT his only start was wk #17.

The fact is IF Whitworth were to go down for a moderate to longer period of time places the OL in a weaken state this state ..would be there even if there were no Saffold available to insert. So Saffold does not add to this issue by the mere mentioning of his name does it. Rams best playing OG is Saffold so naturally any OL'er who is plugged in @ LG would be a lesser player that's a given. I would never plan to utilize a Darrell Williams for any moderate or long term period of time @ starting LT. Our current best reserve OL'er is Austin Blythe not Darrell Williams.

The situation is not a good one to be in & thus its a matter that must be addressed ASAP. The options are few & either expensive or costly in future Ram team investments & assets. Until this matter is rectified my humble suggested plan for the long term @ the moment would be Saffold in for Whitworth @ LT & Austin Blyhte @ LG. If that makes you :sick: then let us both hope that our team can :lifting: & come up with a much better solution....I sure hope so(y). I wish them great luck in this huge undertaking.
See my mock :) I'll never be ok with moving Saffold back to LT again just so he can get hurt or replaced again :) I've drafted what my vision for the LT of the future is.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I don't think we will have any idea of the rams plans are until after fa and the draft. if they don't address l t in fa or draft I think they either figure Williams is better then we think or they figure on scaffold as back up

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Saffold has proven over the years to be a great OG, he is only good as an OT!! JMHO!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Snead did come up with a excellent plan last year @ starting & reserve LT prospects. It was a huge success as far as the starting LT acquirement of veteran Andrew Whitworth. Yes it came @ an enormous cost in terms of team assets but was well worth it IMO. Guess there's a lesson still to be learned here for me. Some pricey aging vets are worth it & do pan out.

Other 2 elements of this plan included ex starting & still very young LT for Rams seasons 2014/2015/2016 was Greg Robinson & Darrel Williams 2015/2016. The two other lesser prospects were Andrew Donnal who saw some sizeable snaps & LT & our previous 3 seasons starting LT 2010/2011/2012 Rodger Saffold. That's the five OL'er who had a part in the plans @ LT. Not a bad overall plan as it looked early summer last yr.

The biggest unforeseen #1 hit this early 2017 plan took was with the very poor attitude & non professional Greg Robinson off season lack of effort. Kromer & GRob did not blend well & GRob soon found himself working 2nd & 3rd team RT behind former swing reserve OG Jamon Brown. This situation went sour fast & one element of the LT reserve plan was sent packing to Detroit for a draft selection & salary relief & some other reliefs not fully known too.

I was of the opinion that Grob was still to be game planned right up to his departure as the main swing OT on the game day roster. That ended on 06/15/2017. There were some other lesser known OT issues that Kromer learned early too. #2 hit Darrell Williams is not close to being a NFL reserve Right OT. #3 hit Same was learned about Jamon Brown, that Jamon was much better @ both OG posts Than @ RT. Thus those two negative issues resulted in Kromer to shelve his desires on having Rob Havenstein as his starting Right OG & forced him to insert Rob back in @ starting RT.

Rams had no reserve RT so on 09/12/17 they savaging the Wavier Wire Contention & came up free agent ex Lion Cornelius Lucas. Another lesser negative element event @ reserve OT was the late 2016 season injury surgery & #4 hit never ending rehabbing event of Andrew Donnal. That event ended on 11/11/2017 when he was released.

So here we are back @ the OT planning stage again for a new season. This time Snead/McVay/Kromer have a much greater knowledge of their situation in their OL than last season. This time they have very few current signed OT's. As far as free agency offing much help...I have posted on a few possible UFA considerations in the area of reserve RT types who play the interior now like (Justin Pugh NYG or Jack Mewhort Colts) However I see nothing available @ LT. So the draft appears to be the likely path route to take here.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
About Saffold’s health at LOT.

Two things have changed since those days.

Saffold has had both shoulders successfully repaired through surgery since then. The doctors say that they’re now better than new.

The other thing is that Saffold has backed away from his former insane weightlifting regimen. Hell, one of his shoulder injuries occurred while weightlifting.

So, those two changes are probably more of a health factor for Saffold than the OG vs LOT positions.

Having said all that, I would extend him ASAP and I would keep him at his current OG spot. I think that both are no brainers.

JRobinson

MiLB

When someone says “the future” or “our future”, to me that means long term solution. So, if you’re saying Saffold could be a stop-gap LT for a season or something then the title of your thread is misleading; to me anyways. But even then, I’d be shocked if Saffold ever moved again. Why move a pro-bowl caliber player from his position?

Heck, we can easily hear it from J. Brown and Hav about how much it matters to stick to one position.

When a guy is playing at the highest level of his career, you don’t move him just because you need stability.... that’s why depth, and drafting is so important.. so you don’t take a guy out of his position.