Any chance Saffold is the future LT?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Is it possible they add interior line help this year at C & OG, with the idea they kick Saffold outside in 19' and keep him there until they get the chance to draft a big time LT prospect?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think they will use Saffold as the back up until they find their future LT. I don't envision their plan for Saffold as a regular starting LT. That plan has come and gone IMHO

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
18nl58invo9kggif.gif

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Hope it doesn’t come to that.

Not that Saffold couldn’t be “pretty good” there. It’s just that he’s playing at a Pro Bowl level at LG. I would HATE to lose that.

nighttrain

Legend
Hope it doesn’t come to that.

Not that Saffold couldn’t be “pretty good” there. It’s just that he’s playing at a Pro Bowl level at LG. I would HATE to lose that.
this issue of the OL is one i'm very sure that McVay and CO have plans to address.
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Name any other Ram OL'er under contract that might be able to keep Goff from getting molested each & every pass play if Whitworth were to injured or retired in 2018?

Snead does not have any other OT's signed under contract in 2018 other than Havenstien & Whitworth.

We heard some comments from Snead suggesting that they might be planning to look @ numerous OT's who could be drafted on day three. Brought in & moved early inside @ OG competition & later prepare them later in their early Ram careers for exterior OT action. Snead has both his starting OG's (Saffold/Brown) in their last yr. under Ram contract. That also includes starting RT Havenstein too.

Rodger Saffold is set to make $ 7.5 million in 2018 Saffold will see a much bigger payday in his next 2019 contract. In conclusion I would imagine he will earn that next big contract playing LEFT OG not LEFT OT.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Is it possible they add interior line help this year at C & OG, with the idea they kick Saffold outside in 19' and keep him there until they get the chance to draft a big time LT prospect?

No.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, I get it that he would not be a long term solution, but there is a very real possibility that a 4th round LT taken this year, would not be ready to play LT in his 2nd year at a high level.

So Saffold could be moved there to give a prospect another year to develop or give the Rams another draft to grab a 1st rounder.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't Snead bring that up at one point? Moving saffold over after whitworth? Potentially anyway

WestCoastRam

Legend
Most likely the Rams will make every attempt to find a LT before moving Saffold. I imagine moving him to LT is in consideration right above moving Higbee to LT.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Future LT will be drafted. Probably next year too for that matter. This class meh. We're not going to find a LT of the future at 23 in this draft. Chances are if they roll the dice on that they'll miss or at least miss out on a better prospect.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I get it that he would not be a long term solution, but there is a very real possibility that a 4th round LT taken this year, would not be ready to play LT in his 2nd year at a high level.

So Saffold could be moved there to give a prospect another year to develop or give the Rams another draft to grab a 1st rounder.
Saffold would not be able to play LT at a high level this year, next year or three years from now. He's an exceptional LG, why are we continually trying to put him back at LT. A position where he got hurt multiple times and was replaced multiple times because of his play.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Saffold would not be able to play LT at a high level this year, next year or three years from now. He's an exceptional LG, why are we continually trying to put him back at LT. A position where he got hurt multiple times and was replaced multiple times because of his play.

He did not look great at LG in 2016 either... coaching/scheme matter.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Do not see the future LT on the roster at this time. Would like to see that player on the roster soon.

nighttrain

Legend
Don't see him at LT.
He was ok at RT week 16.
Bit, who knows? He is only 24 has has a couple years experience with the Lions.
Turned 26, has the measurables but just never has played to his potential, oh well, it's OK to hope this time of year
train