Any chance Clowney does not go #1?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I know there is some talk of the Texans selecting a QB (Bortles, Bridgewater or Manziel) with their #1 pick but I have a really hard time believing they won't take Clowney (In my opinion he's just too good to pass on!) or trade the pick to someone who will pick him. I really hope I am wrong since I am keeping my fingers crossed that someone else does go #1 and the Rams do take him. I sure wish the NFL did not move the Draft back to May!!!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Here's how I look at it.

If Houston doesn't take a QB at #1, all 3 of them could slide to at least #8. I can easily see Jax taking Mack, Cleve taking Watkins, and Oak taking Robinson.

But if Houston doesn't take Clowney, there is no way he gets past #2.

That's all I need to know to realize the disparity in value of the QBs and Clowney.

Houston taking a QB at #1 is a terrible business move.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I think the Texans will take Clowney at 1, then either try and trade back up into the first if one of the QBs slides, or take someone like Garropolo (sp?) at the top of round 2.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
They have to start trying to put things right by selecting a lineman whether it be offensive or defensive. That's where games are won and lost.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I worry the Texans take Clowney. But...

Does the fan base really get excited about Fitzpatrick? Then take a QB next year? Let me get this straight;

2014 Fitzpatrick
2015 Rookie QB
2016 Your next shot at playoffs

See you in 3yrs Texan fans!

Yeah, they could draft a non-top tier QB and hope he's not Ponder, Boller, G Smith, Weeden, Gabbert, Clausen... And the whole list of QB's that were almost good enough to go higher, but didn't for a reason.

If I'm the Texans; you gotta get a QB now. You need to ignite the fans somehow.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Here's how I look at it.

If Houston doesn't take a QB at #1, all 3 of them could slide to at least #8. I can easily see Jax taking Mack, Cleve taking Watkins, and Oak taking Robinson.

But if Houston doesn't take Clowney, there is no way he gets past #2.

That's all I need to know to realize the disparity in value of the QBs and Clowney.

Houston taking a QB at #1 is a terrible business move.

The only thing is that QB is a more impactful position than DE and the team would risk losing their guy with a move down (if they like one of the usual suspects).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Are the Texans really in as bad shape talent-wise as they appear to be? I mean sure, they went into the crapper and spiraled down the drain but i looked at their schedule.
They won their first two games vs San Diego and Tennessee.
They faced the NFC West. Thats four games vs the best division in football.
They also had New England, Denver and Kansas City on the schedule. Those three teams alone combined for a 36-12 record.

Yeah yeah their divisional opponents weren't very good i get that(Jacksonville and Tennessee), but the Colts were good at 11-5. Two games vs those Colts.
Thats 9 games vs very tough competition...just sayin.

This team was 12-4 and 10-6 the previous two seasons and won a playoff game both seasons. Are they really that bad?

I'm no expert on Houston. All i know is that we kicked the shit out of them in their building. Looking over their roster....and it seems to me that they've still got some quality talent there. A.Johnson is getting older but he had a good year, Arian Foster will be back after back surgery, JJ Watt of course.
By all accounts Matt Shaub just completely lost it last season. Was that the straw that broke the camels back ? Did bad QB play suck the lifeforce out of the entire team?
Opinions on that anyone? WTF happened.

Maybe they feel they're still close. Maybe just one young, wide-eyed QB close. Does Clowney really make the best sense for a team that could just need some fresh blood at QB?

Just thinking out loud i guess.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Houston is in the same boat as most of the teams at the top of the draft, more than one hole to fill. So taking a QB would not surprise me nor would them taking Clowney. Of course, I want them taking a QB so the Rams have the choice of Clowney or a bounty for him because somebody will pay relatively big for him. And I'm torn on the Rams taking him. I kinda wish we needed a DE more and some other position less.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I worry the Texans take Clowney. But...

Does the fan base really get excited about Fitzpatrick? Then take a QB next year? Let me get this straight;

2014 Fitzpatrick
2015 Rookie QB
2016 Your next shot at playoffs

See you in 3yrs Texan fans!

Yeah, they could draft a non-top tier QB and hope he's not Ponder, Boller, G Smith, Weeden, Gabbert, Clausen... And the whole list of QB's that were almost good enough to go higher, but didn't for a reason.

If I'm the Texans; you gotta get a QB now. You need to ignite the fans somehow.
Lol i didn't even read your post before posting mine. Thinking alike i see (y)

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The only thing is that QB is a more impactful position than DE and the team would risk losing their guy with a move down (if they like one of the usual suspects).

I hear ya, but how many times has that been the right move?

I mean, when a QB was not even close to the top positional player?

And history shows that almost every team drafting #1 needs a QB, yet there have been many years when either a QB didn't go first or it was a huge mistake to take the QB.

I wouldn't pass on Clowney if I could chose between Peyton Manning and Tom Brady to QB my team for the next 15 years and I had Jack Youngblood and Deacon Jones as my DEs, the Texans aren't going to pass on Clowney for some mediocre QB prospect.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
The Texans last year are a lot like the 1997 San Antonio Spurs.
The Spurs, like the Texans last year, were expected to compete for the championship but due to injuries and bad breaks ended up with the first pick. They took Tim Duncan.
The rest is history.

The Texans don't really don't have as many holes as you may think. They can absolutely take Clowney and address QB later in the draft (late round 1 or early 2 probably).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Texans last year are a lot like the 1997 San Antonio Spurs.
The Spurs, like the Texans last year, were expected to compete for the championship but due to injuries and bad breaks ended up with the first pick. They took Tim Duncan.
The rest is history.

The Texans don't really don't have as many holes as you may think. They can absolutely take Clowney and address QB later in the draft (late round 1 or early 2 probably).
The Spurs tanked it to draft Duncan when their superstar David Robinson went down. Fuck the Spurs. :mad:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If I can recall it correctly the Texan caught the injury virus form the Rams.
INJURIES VIRUS

All pro starting RB Foster went down in game 8 & was IR'd with back surgery. N0#2 RB Ben Taint landed on IR too. Before the season started four of the 2013 drafted rookies were on IR. Starting TE Owen Daniels played in only five games due to injury. 3rd round pick ORT Brennan Williams was slated to start but was IR'd.They signed all pro safety Ed Reed & released him after they found out he could no longer play safety. Starting CB Johnathan Joseph had a injury-marred season. Star starting LB'er Cushing missed the final nine games of the season due to his knee injury and still isn't fully recovered. In addition Dennis Johnson and Deji Karim went down. FB's Greg Jones had knee issues all season & later his back up Smelley was injured too.

Too many injuries to account for them all. But the texans team site seems very happy to have three GREAT QB's to pick from to lead this team in Ryan Fitzpatatrick, Case Keenum & TY Yates!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
They signed all pro safety Ed Reed & released him after they found out he could no longer play safety.
smilol.gif

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Houston had the shitchickens beat the week before they (Houston) played the Rams. A stupid play call and consequent pick 6 by Matt Schaub gave them a loss. They aren't a bad team, and actually have a need for a DE opposite JJ Watt b/c they let go of Antonio Smith. But then again, w/ JJ Watt's contract coming up, they may not want to invest so much $$$ in 1 position.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'd be somewhat surprised if the Texans DON'T draft Blake B. with the #1 pick.

Prior to Clowney's Pro Day,,, there were serious questions about his commitment to the game. After he ran around in his underwear,,, suddenly everyone feel in complete love with him. This same thing happens with me when I strut around in my underwear,,, so I can understand the infatuation,,, but believe me, I look better than I can play these days.

Houston is taking Blake... and I believe Blake is going to be one hell of a successful NFL QB.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob

Prior to Clowney's Pro Day,,, there were serious questions about his commitment to the game. After he ran around in his underwear,,, suddenly everyone feel in complete love with him. This same thing happens with me when I strut around in my underwear,,, so I can understand the infatuation,,, but believe me, I look better than I can play these days.

Houston is taking Blake... and I believe Blake is going to be one hell of a successful NFL QB.
You saying "I'm as good once as I ever was"?

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I'm hoping they pass on Clowney, but I don't think they will. Much of their fan base probably wants a QB, but they aren't afraid to go against the grain there. I'm sure everyone was in an uproar in Houston when they took Williams instead of Bush, but they stood by their guns, I think they do the same here.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame

Boy I hope you're right, the Rams would be in a great position then.