Another New Football League Says It Will Start Play in 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/sports/football/alliance-of-american-football.html

Another New Football League Says It Will Start Play in 2019
By KEN BELSON

merlin_52626098_39d64d9a-fbf2-4d65-a8ab-ea2d4403e03b-master768.jpg

The former Colts vice chairman Bill Polian is one of the founders of a new professional football league that hopes to start play in 2019.
Credit Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images

The N.F.L. is under pressure from falling television ratings, lawsuits over its handling of concussions, and fan opposition to player protests during the national anthem.

Yet investors keep lining up to help start new football leagues. On Tuesday, the longtime N.F.L. executive Bill Polian and the television and movie producer Charlie Ebersol became the latest entrepreneurs to join the fray when they unveiled plans for the Alliance of American Football.

There have been several short-lived football leagues before, including the United Football League, United States Football League and XFL. Like others before them, Polian and Ebersol say they have a formula for success.

They have acquired investments from Silicon Valley firms that will allow their eight-team league to start playing a week after the Super Bowl in February 2019. Their partners include CBS, which will show a few games on its main channel and some on its cable network. They will also launch a smartphone app on which fans will be able to stream games and play fantasy football.

The league will also aim for two-and-a-half hour games (N.F.L. games generally last at least three hours). To achieve that, there will be no kickoffs or extra points — only 2-point plays — and a 30-second play clock, as opposed to the N.F.L.’s 45-second clock. There will also be no television timeouts, which will lead to about 60 percent fewer commercials.

Ebersol, whose father, Dick Ebersol, ran NBC Sports for many years, said each team would be owned by the league, which would reduce the likelihood of teams being sold and of infighting among owners about the direction of the business. The league will also draw from the pool of undrafted college players and others who are not on an N.F.L. roster.

“This is not a development league,” Ebersol said. “There are tens of thousands of players who don’t have a job, which translates into hundreds of Kurt Warners” — a reference to the quarterback who spent time playing in the indoor Arena Football League before putting together a Hall of Famer career in the N.F.L.

Ebersol declined to say whether the league would receive a media rights fee from CBS. But he said there was enough funding to get the league on its feet. He said the league would appeal to the tens of millions of fans who play fantasy football but must stop playing once the N.F.L. season ends.

The Alliance of American Football, though, will have to overcome the obstacles that others could not, including runaway expenses, limited media exposure and a lack of fans. It will also have to compete with a new development league being started by Don Yee, the football agent who represents Tom Brady, which will focus on players who want to skip college. The pro wrestling impresario Vince McMahon said in January he was going to revive the XFL, which folded in its initial effort more than a decade ago, in 2020.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Am I the only one who thinks the kick off is one of the most exciting plays when going to a football game? The anticipation and lead up to the kick off is one of the times I'm most excited when surrounded by all the hubbub of a live game.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
No you're not. Kickoffs are a big part of the game. Teams that are good at it can beat teams that are better at everything else. Who doesn't like to see a 101 yd kickoff return?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The timing is good.

The NFL collective bargaining before the 2020 season will almost certainly turn into a hold out situation.

And I'll be 100% on the players sides. What the NBA players got will make the NFL players hold out IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If I were looking to carve out a niche the dev league would be my approach. Put the franchises in the smaller cities, and get the NFL to buy in as you build league clout year to year on a tight budget with the players who don't make the cut in the NFL.

If their goal is to dominate a big market, then overseas is the way to go. Make a go at Europe, where I still think the NFL effed up by pulling the plug too early. You'll never beat soccer there, but IMO there's a market for a league that operates within a strict budget with a growth approach.

But going head to head with the NFL in the US is nonsense. Lot of investors gonna lose their money IMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But going head to head with the NFL in the US is nonsense. Lot of investors gonna lose their money IMO.
They aren’t going head to head with the nfl. They will start their season after the Super Bowl
Already have a network contract with CBS

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If I were looking to carve out a niche the dev league would be my approach
Seems to me they won’t have a choice. Like it or not, they will - at least at first - be highlighting players the NFL will scout and sign if they are good.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They aren’t going head to head with the nfl. They will start their season after the Super Bowl
Already have a network contract with CBS
The USFL didn’t either - did they? It was either them or another one that played its games in the off season. I think the XFL did too - no?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Anything apart from the NFL will fail. It has to be a farm system league like NFL Europe. We are used to watching the best athletes in the game at the NFL level. Anything else will be a step down for viewers. So, their has to be more to it.

The WWE league won't even get off the ground if the other two come first. The league for guys that don't want to go to college could produce some NFL type talent. If it has a chance to grow the NCAA could lose a lot of talented players. I am sure they don't want the competition. It will also result in colleges lowering standards to compete for the top recruit. It would also speed up the push for college players to get paid.

fearsomefour

Legend
The USFL didn’t either - did they? It was either them or another one that played its games in the off season. I think the XFL did too - no?
Yeah USFL.
It just is a hard sell.
With rare exceptions the talent won't be the same. That's ok. As long as the talent levels are pretty even there could be very entertaining games.
But, what do they have to offer that is unique.
The only way to compete is to have a game that is different.
Arena League has survived for awhile because it is a different game.
Pretty tough to do really.
Don't see it going anywhere.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
So, we're possibly looking at 2 additional football leagues in the near future?
This one and the one planned by the WWE?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
USFL played in the summer. Wasn’t head to head with nfl. Their move to the fall, to go head to head with the nfl was their demise

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, we're possibly looking at 2 additional football leagues in the near future?
This one and the one planned by the WWE?
What’s interesting is that Dick Ebersol helped McMahon launch the XFL and Ebersol’s son is involved with this league, not the XFL re-boot
Also of note, I also heard that the Nfl is endorsing this league? That sure helps

Last edited:

jacktheripper85

Starter
Ebersol was on the radio yesterday. Some comments regarding the league:

-salary is $50,000 per player. Can earn up to $30,000 additionally through incentive and win/loss bonuses

-supposedly have well known names already signed up to coach.

-maximum of 4 replays per game. 2 for each team

-no kickoffs, however if you wanted to “request an onsides kick” you will get the ball on your own 35-yd line. I think he said it would be 4th and 10 or 15 and it’s do or die. Convert and maintain the drive or fail and opposing team gets ball on your 35.

-will have a separate pool of money set aside for each player with funds that could only be used for college or a vocational school.

There were a few other items but I just pointed out some of the highlights. Sounds interesting. May work due to the low salaries. Good option for guys who don’t get drafted and can’t earn a living doing something else or just want to keep playing football.