Another example on how to use Tavon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Just look at Darren Sproles. The way the Eagles and before them, the Saints is simply brilliant. Austin has some qualities that Sproles does.

If I'm Schottenheimer I look at Harvin, Sproles, and Patterson for inspiration.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree with this. Looking at the quick screen to Sproles late in the game. Bring him in motion and quickly get the ball to him....two differences I can see with the Rams trying to run that play....Sproles is very good at using his blockers, not sure Austin has the feel for this and the Eagles have a line that seriously gets down field to block.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
TA is TA. He's not those other guys. We are still finding out what he is. He could be a phenom. Who knows. It's too early to tell.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Schotty isn't tat smart to look at how to do this and create mismatch problems with Tavon on a weekly.... and key word is weekly basis.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Just look at Darren Sproles. The way the Eagles and before them, the Saints is simply brilliant. Austin has some qualities that Sproles does.

If I'm Schottenheimer I look at Harvin, Sproles, and Patterson for inspiration.
I think he will and agree he should ,coming out of the backfield isolated on a linebacker after a play fake to him with the rest of the recs. running deep the way Sproles did was AWESOME.
I prayed we'd draft Sproles ,nothing in my life has shaken my faith more

Athos

Legend
Maybe....but then again, probably not.

You can use Sproles play calls for ideas, but....Austin isn't going to be able to do exactly what Sproles does because Sproles is BUILT LIKE A TANK! He actually looks like a real RB. Thick thighs and quads. Can break tackles, bounce off guys, and still keep going.

Not Tavon's forte.

It all starts with the blocking though. And the Eagles lineman are probably the most conditioned guys in the league.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Shotty can NOT use TA in any fashion presently. In TA's last three NFL games that TA has played he has been injured twice. It was a major concern before the Rams used 2013 first #16, second #46, third #78 & a #222 draft selections to make him a Ram.

I have very little faith in OC Shotty will ever be able to utilize TA in his offense where TA will ever be the weapon that Sproles, Harvin or even Patterson are for their teams. I think Stedman Bailey will be more productive in Shotty's offense...Sad.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
TA is TA. He's not those other guys. We are still finding out what he is. He could be a phenom. Who knows. It's too early to tell.

Exactly. Darren Sproles didn't become Darren Sproles until the third year of his career.

Let's give Tavon a little time.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Schotty isn't tat smart to look at how to do this and create mismatch problems with Tavon on a weekly.... and key word is weekly basis.
I'm not too sure of this, after the game he called in TB!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
It seems to me that it's the flavor of the week, to compare Austin to all of these other players throughout the league, when in fact, he isn't really comparable to any of them. He has a unique set of skills, but falls short in many of the skills that most of these other players he is being compared to have.

Whether it be his size (same height as Sproles), quickness (quicker than Harvin), versatility (similar to Patterson)...... The bottom line for me, is he doesn't have the overall game that these others have. While Austin has better straight line speed, everyone of these guys he gets compared to are bigger and stronger with the ball in their hands than he is.

Austin has to beat people with his elusiveness, whereas each and every one of these other players can run through tackles and seem to have a better feel for just turning up field and going.

The one player he seems to share a common trait with his Harvin. And that trait would be not being able to stay healthy.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
It's going to take Tavon a little longer than most WRs to put it all together because of his skill set, and lack of bulk.

I think he just needs to study Isaac Bruce's game, and spend as much time talking and learning from Isaac as he can. He can teach Tavon how to avoid the big hits, and clean up his route running.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
ZSs19Cd.png

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
TA is a lot closer to Devin Hester than an of the others mentioned in this post.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I would like to see us call plays for Tavon where we run one play than hurry the next-don't give the defense time to react to where he is at. Get him the ball quickly. Anything to disguise what we are doing a little. When I know whats coming so does everybody else.

V3

Hall of Fame
It's going to take Tavon a little longer than most WRs to put it all together because of his skill set, and lack of bulk.

I think he just needs to study Isaac Bruce's game, and spend as much time talking and learning from Isaac as he can. He can teach Tavon how to avoid the big hits, and clean up his route running.

Those were reasons given by the proponents of Austin on why he was worth the pick, among other things. They said, "Don't worry about his size, he knows how to avoid getting hit and has never been injured." They also said, "Patterson isn't worth a first round pick because he can't run routes. Austin is much better."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
yeah wasn't bad but wasn't brilliant either. Not bad doesn't cut it vs. the NFC West.
We haven't played anyone in the west yet, so we'll see what happens when we do! 4 or 5 weeks from now is a long time in Football time a lot can happen!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Agreed. Some of these things will work with TA and I agree are worth considering but more than anything, the Rams need to let Austin be Austin. Stop trying to make him Amendola or Harvin or Sproles.

Tavon Austin has exceptional speed. Something none of those guys have. Harvin has great speed but is a couple steps slower than Tavon at top-end. Use Tavon as a deep threat like DeSean Jackson. Yes, Tavon can be effective on jet sweeps, end-arounds, reverses, passes out of the back-field, screens, and runs(EVEN UP THE MIDDLE). But more than anything, the kid can play WR. Give him a chance to do THAT and then build onto it. It irritates me that the Rams don't seem to trust Tavon's ability to play WR. Give him a chance. And by chance, I don't mean trying to make him Amendola or Welker. That's not who the guy is. Pettis and Bailey are more like those two.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Agreed. Some of these things will work with TA and I agree are worth considering but more than anything, the Rams need to let Austin be Austin. Stop trying to make him Amendola or Harvin or Sproles.

Tavon Austin has exceptional speed. Something none of those guys have. Harvin has great speed but is a couple steps slower than Tavon at top-end. Use Tavon as a deep threat like DeSean Jackson. Yes, Tavon can be effective on jet sweeps, end-arounds, reverses, passes out of the back-field, screens, and runs(EVEN UP THE MIDDLE). But more than anything, the kid can play WR. Give him a chance to do THAT and then build onto it. It irritates me that the Rams don't seem to trust Tavon's ability to play WR. Give him a chance. And by chance, I don't mean trying to make him Amendola or Welker. That's not who the guy is. Pettis and Bailey are more like those two.

Could not agree more!!! Clearly this is where not having a "prototypical" QB who can throw the long ball hurts us.... In addition to TA being schemed like he's a bigger guy... as opposed to a D. Jackson type player who could average 20 yards a reception... The fact that we're using him as an Amendola type is horrible. You don't draft a slot receiver who gets 7 ypa and 0 yac in the first round... (This isn't a criticism of where we drafted him b/c you can't "teach" the type of speed and playmaking ability that TA has.)