Andre Johnson wants out of Houston

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Too much tread on the tires.

Too little tread, but I get ya, FA's scare me this age...Young FA's scare me too....Cook doesn't give us 1000+ and 10+ TD's...wow, his contract is a killer.

I think the Texans HAVE to give him his million$$ bonus, as good faith...I heard he's a leader/captain....I would think outta the teams PrimeTime (thanks PT) listed he'd like the Ravens, Patriots, & Panthers....although the Ravens & Panthers may have some O-Line issues.....

We can't afford a $10 mil hit....nor should we want one...Go Quick...Go Britt...Go Tavon...Go Givens....Go Cookie

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Not for that ind of money.....not a good idea to give up a draft pick then take on a 33 year old with over 20 mil due to him in the next two years.

That's what you call a bad deal.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Too little tread, but I get ya, FA's scare me this age...Young FA's scare me too....Cook doesn't give us 1000+ and 10+ TD's...wow, his contract is a killer.

I think the Texans HAVE to give him his million$$ bonus, as good faith...I heard he's a leader/captain....I would think outta the teams PrimeTime (thanks PT) listed he'd like the Ravens, Patriots, & Panthers....although the Ravens & Panthers may have some O-Line issues.....

We can't afford a $10 mil hit....nor should we want one...Go Quick...Go Britt...Go Tavon...Go Givens....Go Cookie

I don't see the Patriots coughing up that kinda money for a player that old.....its just not the way they roll. The Panthers on the other hand are in dire need so they may make a play for him.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Too expensive, too old, too high maintenance.

I think we should trade a 5th, 6th, or 7th round draft pick during the 2015 off season for a vet wide receiver.
Draft picks are at a premium in the weeks approaching the draft, while veteran wide receivers can be had for bottom basement prices.

The 49'ers have traded for vet wide receivers the last two years. Anquan Boldin and Stevie Johnson for a 6th and 4th round picks!

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Do you really think he is danger of being cut?

In a general since you are correct, but as a practical matter, he is being a diva. The Rams do not need this kind of a person on the roster. He is being payed above his level of production, and frankly his age is going to become a factor sooner rather than later.
I don't know... I really don't see NFL contracts as anyone's WORD because the team can end them at any time.

Now if they were fully guaranteed and Johnson was just refusing to play, yeah, that'd be different.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I have never been a cheerleader for people that don't honor their word. Nobody forced him to sign that monster contract. I would not only pass on a trade, I would take him off of the radar forever.

I am a big fan of character in people. You can be a knucklehead, but most of the time even knuckleheads have honor. Andre is dead to me!
I disagree whole heartedly. It's not a word, it's business. Teams opt out or cut a player all the time short of their contract, how about their word? That's ok?

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
If we could work out the financials to be more cap friendly I think a coach like Fisher and Gm like Snead would create interest for Johnson to level out the contract and Snead could work out a deal with the Texans for a 5th rounder

A55VA6

Legend
I can only see us going for him if he's still in Houston at the start of the season and we have problems at WR. (Injuries / lack of production). Can we even afford him under our cap? lol

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I can only see us going for him if he's still in Houston at the start of the season and we have problems at WR. (Injuries / lack of production). Can we even afford him under our cap? lol
Yeah I could see where your coming from on that....
Remember Lloyd? he turned out to be Sam's best target that season after we acquired him.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Do you really think he is danger of being cut?

In a general since you are correct, but as a practical matter, he is being a diva. The Rams do not need this kind of a person on the roster. He is being payed above his level of production, and frankly his age is going to become a factor sooner rather than later.
Whether he's in danger of being cut is not the issue here. The issue is whether players should be treated as word breakers for deciding not to honor an NFL contract to its full terms when teams can unilaterally end the contract at will.

With that last factor, it's not really a contract in the same terms you and I might make one and both be held to what we agreed to.

Yeah I could see where your coming from on that....
Remember Lloyd? he turned out to be Sam's best target that season after we acquired him.

I was thinking about the Lloyd trade earlier, and how that put into effect us trading down and picking Pead and Watkins rather than just staying put and drafting Wagner. Considering Lloyd never played with a healthy Sam that could be one of the worst trades ever (or at least that season :whistle:).

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Man I wish the Rams would do this, but it's not their style. Besides, we got a log-jam already.

Our back is up against the cap, too. It's just not realistic. I'd give up a second rounder for him. That's cheap for a Lambardi lol.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
we dont need him

Kenny Britt or Andre Johnson?

Austin Pettis or Andre Johnson?

Honestly, giving up even a 3rd round pick won't set the team as far back as people like to think.

Money aside (which is the main reason it won't happen), why wouldn't anyone take him over one of our current guys? The dude had 1400+ yards, 5 TDs last year w/ Case freakin Keenum at QB.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Kenny Britt or Andre Johnson?

Austin Pettis or Andre Johnson?

Honestly, giving up even a 3rd round pick won't set the team as far back as people like to think.

Money aside (which is the main reason it won't happen), why wouldn't anyone take him over one of our current guys? The dude had 1400+ yards, 5 TDs last year w/ Case freakin Keenum at QB.

Because for an NFL WR, he's old.

He's at an age where WRs start to decline. And no one ever sees it coming, but nonetheless it does.

Maybe he does have another season or two left where he can produce the numbers he has previously, but it's far from a guarantee.

You can say, "besides the money" about anybody, because if players had no contracts or no cap hits, it would make sense to take a chance on anybody, there's no risk.

But in the real world, there's a lot of evidence that there's some very real risk to this guy not returning the investment he'd be asking for because of his age.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The big problem is that getting him would mean inevitably that someone else the Rams want to keep would end up leaving in free agency in a year or two, since it would require the Rams to restructure contracts to clear space, pushing the cap hit into future years. So the cost to get him is not just the draft pick traded, but whichever player or two the Rams would have liked to keep but end up signing elsewhere. So to get him would be the draft pick, plus a much younger desirable player or two. If the Rams were really one receiver away from the Super Bowl that would be one thing. But even adding Johnson they still play in the toughest division in football, and could easily miss the playoffs still even if Johnson plays great for them. In a vacuum he'd be nice - in practice it would mess up the cap big time.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Too much money for his age....

We should have went after Greg Jennings before he went to the vikings.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Because for an NFL WR, he's old.

He's at an age where WRs start to decline. And no one ever sees it coming, but nonetheless it does.

Maybe he does have another season or two left where he can produce the numbers he has previously, but it's far from a guarantee.

You can say, "besides the money" about anybody, because if players had no contracts or no cap hits, it would make sense to take a chance on anybody, there's no risk.

But in the real world, there's a lot of evidence that there's some very real risk to this guy not returning the investment he'd be asking for because of his age.

That risk depends only on the type of player.

Based on production only, who is the greater risk Andre Johnson or Kenny Britt/Austin Pettis/Brian Quick?

Age is a number, players decline differently. For WR, tho there have been a number of WRs that played well into their mid 30s: Terrell Owens, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Randy Moss, Anquan Boldin, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Rod Smith, etc just to name a few off the top of my head.

I fail to see why anyone would want to pass up an All-Pro like him.