Andre Johnson wants out of Houston

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
That risk depends only on the type of player.

Based on production only, who is the greater risk Andre Johnson or Kenny Britt/Austin Pettis/Brian Quick?

Age is a number, players decline differently. For WR, tho there have been a number of WRs that played well into their mid 30s: Terrell Owens, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Randy Moss, Anquan Boldin, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Rod Smith, etc just to name a few off the top of my head.

I fail to see why anyone would want to pass up an All-Pro like him.

You will never be able to buy Andre's past production. You're only going to get what he is going forward. But whoever pays for his services will likely be paying for his past production.

Check out what age Holt and Moss's numbers fell off a cliff. Bruce did have that one year at 34, but all of his other seasons at 33 and older were spotty. Jennings is 30 now.

Different guys fall apart at different points in their 30s, but it happens to all of them. Can't fight gravity. It's possible Andre could go another couple seasons at his current production level. It's possible he could go the route of Moss and Holt. Like I said, it's a risk. And in order to get return on what he'd probably command, he'd HAVE to produce like he has before to get good return on that.

It's not a risk I'd be comfortable taking, were I in a position to make such a decision as opposed to being a dude on a keyboard. Andre Johnson is going to fall apart someday, and no one is going to be able to predict when. If it's next season, I'd rather not be the team paying his likely costly demands.

VARam

A 33 year old Johnson is better than the young "receivers" we have. They still can't catch the ball nor stretch the field. Offense is what's going to be our downfall.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
You will never be able to buy Andre's past production. You're only going to get what he is going forward. But whoever pays for his services will likely be paying for his past production.

Check out what age Holt and Moss's numbers fell off a cliff. Bruce did have that one year at 34, but all of his other seasons at 33 and older were spotty. Jennings is 30 now.

Different guys fall apart at different points in their 30s, but it happens to all of them. Can't fight gravity. It's possible Andre could go another couple seasons at his current production level. It's possible he could go the route of Moss and Holt. Like I said, it's a risk. And in order to get return on what he'd probably command, he'd HAVE to produce like he has before to get good return on that.

It's not a risk I'd be comfortable taking, were I in a position to make such a decision as opposed to being a dude on a keyboard. Andre Johnson is going to fall apart someday, and no one is going to be able to predict when. If it's next season, I'd rather not be the team paying his likely costly demands.

I just can't equate "risk" to a player of Andre Johnson's caliber.

A risk is Kenny Britt. If that dude can't cut it or does something stupid off field, the WRs are fucked. Or if Brian Quick can't develop, Austin Pettis remains who he is, etc.

All the WRs I mentioned had great years in their 30s. They may not have had 1800 yards or 10 TDs or anythig crazy like that, but really Andre getting 800 yards and 6 TDs isn't crazy. That would be the best a Ram since Torry Holt was here. And if it happens to be a couple seasons, so be it. It would be better than waiting for one of these guys to finally make a name for themselves, like we've been doing since 2009 or so.

Although the whole thing is moot right now as Houston came out and said they aren't trading him.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I just can't equate "risk" to a player of Andre Johnson's caliber.

A risk is Kenny Britt. If that dude can't cut it or does something stupid off field, the WRs are fucked. Or if Brian Quick can't develop, Austin Pettis remains who he is, etc.

All the WRs I mentioned had great years in their 30s. They may not have had 1800 yards or 10 TDs or anythig crazy like that, but really Andre getting 800 yards and 6 TDs isn't crazy. That would be the best a Ram since Torry Holt was here. And if it happens to be a couple seasons, so be it. It would be better than waiting for one of these guys to finally make a name for themselves, like we've been doing since 2009 or so.

Although the whole thing is moot right now as Houston came out and said they aren't trading him.

You think our receivers are so bad that if the Rams paid a guy what Andre would likely command and he put up 800 yards and 6 TDs you'd think it'd be worth it?

I guess I'm just more optimistic about the guys we have. I think we have guys on the roster now that could do that.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
You think our receivers are so bad that if the Rams paid a guy what Andre would likely command and he put up 800 yards and 6 TDs you'd think it'd be worth it?

I guess I'm just more optimistic about the guys we have. I think we have guys on the roster now that could do that.

No, I don't think they're "bad" I just don't think they have translated on the field, ad the team has been trying for years now.

Sure, I can understand guys like Tavon, Sted, Brian Quick, Chris Givens will take some years to develop but guys like Austin Pettis, Kenny Britt, Brandon Gibson, etc have all just remained average or in the case of Kenny Britt, other issues that may prevent him from reaching his potential. Swap out one of those guys with Andre and instantly our WRs become on par with the rest of the division.

Andre would help not just in yards and points, but will garner attention, not stack the box, cause less blitzes, etc. It's a ripple effect. If that means 800 yards on top of that he's absolutely worth it. And it's not just yards, making the sure catch instead of holding and hoping he'd hang on to the damn thing. It's the respect factor that garners with an All-Pro like him.

Plus, he would mask the development of the other guys, instead of making them seem like their not.

It's a win/win IMO. But he's not coming. Contracts, Texans' stubbornness, etc.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I wouldn't be against sending a 3rd to HOU. Let's say Quick doesn't pan out as hoped and Britt is a free agent after this year. We're left with Tavon, Bailey, and Givens as our top wideouts.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
If we could work out the financials to be more cap friendly I think a coach like Fisher and Gm like Snead would create interest for Johnson to level out the contract and Snead could work out a deal with the Texans for a 5th rounder
1575.jpg

After speaking to four NFL executives regarding potential trade compensation for Andre Johnson, the Sideline View's Lance Zierlein received answers ranging from a second- to fifth-round pick.
Although the Houston Chronicle's John McClain has been adamant the Texans will not trade Johnson, it's worth remembering McClain was adamant for most of the pre-draft process that the Texans would not select Jadeveon Clowney at No. 1 overall. (They did.) We suspect GM Rick Smith would seriously consider dealing Johnson if a win-now team offered a 2015 second-round pick. If the offer were a fourth- or fifth-rounder, the Texans should comfortably pass.

Lets go Snead trade that 4th rounder :) lol

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
1575.jpg

After speaking to four NFL executives regarding potential trade compensation for Andre Johnson, the Sideline View's Lance Zierlein received answers ranging from a second- to fifth-round pick.
Although the Houston Chronicle's John McClain has been adamant the Texans will not trade Johnson, it's worth remembering McClain was adamant for most of the pre-draft process that the Texans would not select Jadeveon Clowney at No. 1 overall. (They did.) We suspect GM Rick Smith would seriously consider dealing Johnson if a win-now team offered a 2015 second-round pick. If the offer were a fourth- or fifth-rounder, the Texans should comfortably pass.

I'd love to have him for a 3rd round pick, but we just can't afford him. I think he could really help teach the position to our younger players, and could be invaluable that way, but his salary is just too big right now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As much as I'd like Johnson, the Rams need to be working their salary cap spreadsheet to retain our own.

We have a glut of young players that will need deals soon. Assuming these young players deliver, I'd rather the dollars be directed to their second contracts as opposed to Johnson's last.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
1575.jpg

Like Boldin a few years back, the pick is not the real issue (though do to age, I wouldn't give up a 2nd rounder). The issue is the contract and the salary cap.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The big problem is that getting him would mean inevitably that someone else the Rams want to keep would end up leaving in free agency in a year or two, since it would require the Rams to restructure contracts to clear space, pushing the cap hit into future years. So the cost to get him is not just the draft pick traded, but whichever player or two the Rams would have liked to keep but end up signing elsewhere. So to get him would be the draft pick, plus a much younger desirable player or two. If the Rams were really one receiver away from the Super Bowl that would be one thing. But even adding Johnson they still play in the toughest division in football, and could easily miss the playoffs still even if Johnson plays great for them. In a vacuum he'd be nice - in practice it would mess up the cap big time.
Beyond his age, and paying for past production, trading for Johnson would alter the FO plan. The plan is to keep their own drafted players, those that they value. There is no room for a $10 million dollar player, not even an All-Pro like Johnson.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
This is not even an option. The Rams drafted a left guard and passed on Watkins. They are all in on their current receiver group.

That is not a shot at Robinson, in a year or 2 he will be a bookend LT.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
This is not even an option. The Rams drafted a left guard and passed on Watkins. They are all in on their current receiver group.

That is not a shot at Robinson, in a year or 2 he will be a bookend LT.
I still think it was more of a matter of thinking Robinson was BPA, and upgrades being gone by the time the Rams picked again.

I think they were all in AFTER the draft... since what other choice do they have than to hope (it's not so farfetched that such hope will be rewarded) someone steps up?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Any Houston player with tread left on their tires and aspirations to win a championship should want out of Houston right now. Hiring OBrien was a mistake. He is not a good head coach. He is credited with working miracles at PSU but the truth is the high character roster lead by Sr. leaders Mike Mauti and Mike Zordich are what held that team together. OBrien won with prior players. He did bring in a great QB, but I have witnessed too many boneheaded gameplans and poor decisions, plus bad clock management (Rams fans are familiar with that) to make me think OBrien is head coach material. I predict Houston is going to continue to slide under the lead of Bill.

And as a PSU fan, no I am not soured because he left. I was glad he left. I never wanted him to start because I had questioned his head coaching ability before he showed up.

Any Houston player with tread left on their tires and aspirations to win a championship should want out of Houston right now. Hiring OBrien was a mistake. He is not a good head coach. He is credited with working miracles at PSU but the truth is the high character roster lead by Sr. leaders Mike Mauti and Mike Zordich are what held that team together. OBrien won with prior players. He did bring in a great QB, but I have witnessed too many boneheaded gameplans and poor decisions, plus bad clock management (Rams fans are familiar with that) to make me think OBrien is head coach material. I predict Houston is going to continue to slide under the lead of Bill.

And as a PSU fan, no I am not soured because he left. I was glad he left. I never wanted him to start because I had questioned his head coaching ability before he showed up.

I was saying this on another site the other day, it's a rarity that you can lose a HC to a "better" position and yet get an upgrade to replace him.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
We will rally around these receivers and we will play good football

Athos

Legend
Andre could put a fringe playoff team over the hump in at least the first two years of his contract provided he maintains his health.

That's worth it for a lot of teams.