And so it Begins....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Lol, I remember when we played the 9ers how everybody would always stroke Davis off on how mature he had gotten, how much better he was than in the past, but now that the team needs money to sign other key contributors he's bellyaching about getting his and throwing a tantrum and holding out.

Oops?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Ahhh.... Maybe I'm overthinking this thing. I'm just very passionate about what a team should be and how players should display 110% commitment.

... And I kinda dislike the Richard Sherman outlook where your salary is what determines your worth as a player and being humble is for the birds (apparently not Seahawks though)...

Sorry guys... (n)
@mr.stlouis @Ky Ram @Thordaddy @kurtfaulk @Dick84 @V3

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I am surprised by this, and very happy. This in itself will add stress to the front office to get Kapersnuck happy....come one $18MM+....then Davis and then Iupati....and then and then.....well, this helps the Rams a bit. One half of one percent, but it all adds up.

Crabtree is a good player, and what will he want $7MM a year....soon the 9ers won't be able to sign their own guys...They still can go 12-4 or 11-5, but maybe all this negative contract situation creates some rifts.

I am very happy the rams signed no big outside free agents this year. I hope that continues....well, ok, except for a #1 WR.

This Ram team feels like the 1999 rams to me (Not the super bowl part).....pieces are coming together, and other teams are weakened a bit.
I think Arizona will be much stronger this year, if Palmer stays healthy. But Seattle and 9ers don't scare me.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Normally I would be angry at someone holding out for a new contract. I mean the guy signed a contract, he should honor it. But teams cut players all of the time when they still have active contracts. If teams honored their contracts, I would be more on their side. But since they don't honor their contracts, I'm in favor of players holding out to get more money.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Normally I would be angry at someone holding out for a new contract. I mean the guy signed a contract, he should honor it. But teams cut players all of the time when they still have active contracts. If teams honored their contracts, I would be more on their side. But since they don't honor their contracts, I'm in favor of players holding out to get more money.
If the contracts were like baseball contracts, the teams would be up the creek! NFL does smart contracts so they don't get stuck! Business is business! :(

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
If the contracts were like baseball contracts, the teams would be up the creek! NFL does smart contracts so they don't get stuck! Business is business! :(
I agree, but then the NFL shouldn't be mad when players don't honor their contracts the way teams don't

V3

Hall of Fame
It is a business, that's exactly the point. In any business, you can be fired if you underperform just like players can get cut. When you make millions to play a sport, that's the gamble you are walking into. Frankly, 95% of professional athletes are overpaid if you ask me. When a franchise invests millions of dollars in you, is it right to withhold playing for them simply because in your mind you are not acquiring enough millions yet? The rest of the team is giving all they have to achieve what they always dreamed of and a greedy player can forsake his team on a whim? I don't get the view that the players are deserving of whatever they believe they deserve because they think so. They can do the job they are paid highly to do.
Why is it that you repeat the part about players being cut if they underperform but you again leave out the part where if they outperform their contract, they can't get a raise? If you outperform everyone else at work, do you not think you deserve a raise? You really need to drop the whole idea of "being a good teammate" because that doesn't fly in the business world. The only reason it exists in sports is because of the emotions people(mostly fans) assign to it. In every other business in the world, if a person is one of the best in their field, they get compensated or they find another place that will compensate them.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't think the NFL should ever go to a system like baseball due to how volatile the sport is. The injury aspect alone would kill teams that were stuck with huge contracts for players that couldn't perform anymore. You'd see a huge drop in performance because teams would have to keep bad players on the team and wouldn't be able to afford new ones. You'd also see good players get less money because the teams wouldn't be able to afford to sign new players while they were stuck with the bad ones unless those new players took a pay cut.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Ahhh.... Maybe I'm overthinking this thing. I'm just very passionate about what a team should be and how players should display 110% commitment.

... And I kinda dislike the Richard Sherman outlook where your salary is what determines your worth as a player and being humble is for the birds (apparently not Seahawks though)...

Sorry guys... (n)
No worries you're absolutely right when it comes to Davis his contract isn't up,he's holding out Sherman, his time had come and wasn't really doing anything less honorable than his team.
I don't care WHO wins between multimillionaires when they wrangle NEW contracts but I always get sideways at guys who don't honor contracts

PhxRam

I agree, but then the NFL shouldn't be mad when players don't honor their contracts the way teams don't

Teams DO honor the contracts. There is GUARANTEED money and there is money that could potentially be paid over the life of the contract. You get cut after one season you still get your guaranteed money.

Players know the business enough that they realize they will never see the end of a contract that is heavily loaded on the back end.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Teams DO honor the contracts. There is GUARANTEED money and there is money that could potentially be paid over the life of the contract. You get cut after one season you still get your guaranteed money.

Players know the business enough that they realize they will never see the end of a contract that is heavily loaded on the back end.
Aren't we lamenting the Wells deal right now? And isn't Langford a potential cap casualty next year since we drafted the Donald?

RustyRay

Rookie
Aren't we lamenting the Wells deal right now? And isn't Langford a potential cap casualty next year since we drafted the Donald?

They have received the bonus money and are now into the main salary parts of their contracts, the Rams have paid what was promised or the G jack so to speak.

I never have an issue with guys getting paid....Sherman was due...Peterson was due....If any of us were in that position no matter what our job is we want to tap out the most money we can make...When I am due for a raise I want the largest % available to me.

The problem I have with Davis he got his big payday and is being paid well still and is in no danger of getting cut..2 years left, show up and tell the team you think your due a "raise" and work it out..I hate the fact that he can just not show up for work and get paid...and likely force them to pay him more...

The teams do it to players all the time to, they release guys with years left on deals and most of the fans are okay with that..so it's a tough spot for the players. They should try to maximize their earnings while playing...and Davis is getting close to the last 3rd of his career...

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm not going to get into whether Davis deserves this or not, or the wider debate over players getting paid ... but I definitely love seeing dissension in the 49er ranks ;)

V3

Hall of Fame

Sorry guys... (n)
Sorry, I didn't see this post. It's all good. I totally get where you're coming from with regards to the passion. Pro sports are about the only business I know where the consumer is "supposed" to buy the product whether the product is good or bad. It's hard to separate the passion from the money side of it. I used to get so mad at the players too.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Negotiations still stalled between 49ers, Harbaugh
Posted by Mike Florio on June 5, 2014

harbaugh1.jpg
AP

With the 49ers getting quarterback Colin Kaepernick under contract, the question becomes whether a new deal will be struck with the man who has mentored Kaepernick through his three NFL seasons.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, not much is happening. The 49ers have made an offer to Harbaugh, and Harbaugh has yet to respond to it.

The problem continues to be that Harbaugh, in the estimation of the 49ers, wants to be paid like a coach who has won a Super Bowl, even though he hasn’t. And Harbaugh seems to be content to bet on himself, eventually proving his value by ongoing success — and potentially becoming a free agent.

Signed through 2015, an effort to extend Harbaugh’s contract went nowhere last year. If a deal can’t be finalized before the end of the upcoming campaign, a divorce isn’t out of the question, even though Harbaugh has insisted he’ll remain with the 49ers for the final two seasons of a five-year deal.

Until an extension is signed, anything can happen.

jap

Legend
Ya mean Kaepernick might have to learn a new playbook soon?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ya mean Kaepernick might have to learn a new playbook soon?
Yeah, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Page 1 - Look at first option (center will tell you who that is)
Page 2 - Run