And just like that, Rams have top 10 defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
63C8F747-049C-4F23-95FC-CD18AC418831.jpeg

And the number one offense. What a turnaround Rams fans.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I just posted that in another thread.

Man am I going to be rooting for the Texans next week (they play at Seattle)...

jjab360

Legend
Absolutely insane what young McVay is doing in his first year as a head coach. Rams are one of the most complete teams in the entire NFL through the first half of the season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Doesn't seem real yet.
I've been conditioned to expect this all to fall apart.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And spec teams aren’t to shabby either

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesn't seem real yet.

I dunno, i was so impressed by the demeanour of Jared during interviews after training camp. It just filled me with such confidence for the season ahead. Then the pre-season games confirmed that notion. After a few regular season games and i was all in. The offense looks like it has all the answers and can methodically work it's way down the field. Just waiting for the fast strike plays to flow more freely.

The d can look after itself. The second half against the cowboys had me feeling much better that better things were ahead. And so they were. Now they are a ruthless unit that doesn't stop.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Doesn't seem real yet.
It didn't for me either until after today.
I mean, if you count this London "home" game as another away game(which i do) the Rams are 4-0 on the road this year. That's just....that's a good football team no matter how you slice it.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
That loss to the Seahawks was tough. When the Rams play in Seattle at the end of the season for the NFC West title, we have to win at their place for the division crown.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Defense was scary yesterday, they have been destroying offensive lines over the last couple weeks .

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I was very critical of Wade in the beginning and his "All Shucks." response to the struggles of the defense and low and behold, Wade Phillips knows more about defense than me? Imagine that! Great job by the defensive staff led by one of the best in the history of the NFL.

wade-phillips-defensive-history-rams-success-aaron-donald.jpg

Last edited:

JRobinson

MiLB
I have to eat some crow on this thread. I seriously felt like we didn't have the right personnel on D to be successful on a consistent basis. Well, it's clear that I was completely wrong and misguided on my stance. Barwin is getting in on the action, Quinn is trying different pass rushing attempts other than speed rushing, and Alec is looking like Alec. The secondary is doing their job and man how I love NRC and how he plays the game. Here is to the second half!

Name
Preman
Kayvon Webster has looked really good, so has Robey Coleman. Watkins is making plays for us and Brockers has definitely arrived, our D and our O is steadily improving. Thanks Sean McVay and squad...

Flint

Pro Bowler
I have to eat some crow on this thread. I seriously felt like we didn't have the right personnel on D to be successful on a consistent basis. Well, it's clear that I was completely wrong and misguided on my stance. Barwin is getting in on the action, Quinn is trying different pass rushing attempts other than speed rushing, and Alec is looking like Alec. The secondary is doing their job and man how I love NRC and how he plays the game. Here is to the second half!

It seems weird that a lot of the moves they made have panned out, I guess I've been scarred by waiting for GRob or Barron to finally get it or by watching Barnes get shoved into the qb's lap again or by Case Keenum being Case Keenum or by Sam wearing street clothes.
Not having some spectacular failure every week is going to take some getting use to.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Doesn't seem real yet.

X, most of us gain hope during the offseason. Carriker “rag dolling” offensive linemen. Bradford the next Aikman. McDaniels gonna make the passing game dangerous since Stan wants to do it the Patriot way. Fisher and Finnegan making our defense nasty. Long and Wells to solidify the OLine.

I swore to myself I would NOT be Charlie Brown this year. Transforming the NFL’s worst offense would simply require time. A few key injuries and we’d be toast. Ogletree and Barron are too light to play inside. We played Indy without Luck, the Cowboys without Sean Lee and A Hitchens. The Jags are doomed with Bortles and the Hawks/Cards have two of the worst OLines in the NFL. Save the great ST play, the Jags win. Every year a couple teams get propped up by inflated turnover margins early only to come back to earth as the season progresses (Rich Brooks ‘95 season started 5-1) like the Lions and Jags.

So yeah, we are still harping on the flaws (Red Zone production, Sammy Watkins misses, Kupp’s drops, Tavon’s salary, we let the 9”ers get way too close to winning, mobile QB’s give us fits yadda yadda yadda...) Yet most expect the Pats to fix their defense and Brady to succeed without Edelman and Gronk. We give Roethlisberger a pass after throwing a dozen picks against the Jags. The Seahawks don’t need an OLine to win somehow. The Viking defense is good enough to carry them with our QB castoffs. I too am conditioned to worry this team will read two weeks of press love and take the depleted Giants for granted and get ambushed.

But McVay’s, Phillips’, and Bone’s “process”
Is the difference. Rarely do any of them get outcoached. Never do you see them complacent. With a couple mild exceptions that get eggagerated (Watkins targets, Gurley’s travel dislike) every player sings from the same songbook in harmony...we just want to be better next week. And it’s more than words. Donald has no extension and he’s currently playing even better than ever before. Goff continues to grind himself into a more efficient QB making more and more checks on the line, running when necessary, and throwing away bad plays. The defense is becoming assignment sound. Cooper only runs it on kickoffs if the conditions are favorable. Penalties are down. Unsportsmanlike conduct has disappeared. Nobody’s getting arrested or suspended. Injury management, while mostly luck...is partially better by plan. The OLine is gaining continuity. Gurley is hitting holes with confidence. Defenders no longer claim they know the play before the snap. Eight man boxes have all but disappeared. The secondary has fewer coverage breakdowns and are playing with less cushion. The linebackers are in their run fits. Tanziel Smart defeated a double team from the nose and tackled AP. Longacre leads the team in sacks (remember when Kevin Greene couldn’t get on the field?). Joyner got a pick and lamented after the game that he needs to get much better, as though he had lost the game.

In short, this team expects to win on every snap. I suppose I can start to do the same.

fearsomefour

Legend
I just posted that in another thread.

Man am I going to be rooting for the Texans next week (they play at Seattle)...
Amen to that.
The Texans are a team with a good D still, despite the injuries. Their QB is a guy that can test Seattles D in a number of way. They could easily beat Seattle. Of course the same applies to us.

fearsomefour

Legend
Kayvon Webster has looked really good, so has Robey Coleman. Watkins is making plays for us and Brockers has definitely arrived, our D and our O is steadily improving. Thanks Sean McVay and squad...
The thing I would take issue with in your statement is Brockers. He arrived years ago.
Excellent player.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very impressive.

I'm more of a yards guy than points, because points can be fluky (i.e. that 30 ppg includes all of our non offensive TDs).

Either way, the most impressive change to this offense has been the 3rd down conversions IMO.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree.
My bitching about Wade was premature. I think the personal group can get better this offseason in a couple of spots.