Analysis of Rams-Saints game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Got this from another board

alyoshamucci
As usual, the initial reviews I read before watching the game were totally different from the game I saw . . . but they got closer to what I saw after a day or so.

Of course there was no gameplanning, 1 starter on the D line playing, and 0 of our top 3 CBs. Also, the biggest thing, JL, the General of our defense was not on field to make the calls . .. I am pretty sure thats why we were a step late in our run fits.

The Good

1) Aaron Donald was putting on a show . . . his ability to get through around and under starting O linemen was pretty stunning. The opposing coaches are going to have to design run plays with him in mind, because he's coming through one way or another on most plays it looks like. I put his TFL over under at 20 (including sacks) . . .

2) G Rob is a freak. He has excellent balance, and seems to be setting up just fine for passing plays . . inside and outside (though outside he was against 2nd teamers). His drive blocking and ability to shoot out to the next level was pretty insane . . he didn't look like it was more of a physical challenge then college, though the game was moving faster for him, that was obvious.

3) EJ Gaines was what I expected. Professional and ready to play at this level. He was a tackler in the SEC, and he forced 2 fumbles during the game. He was patient. there was a play where Michael Sam was giving chase and the QB was rolling out . . Gaines didn't play to the ball until the QB let it go, ensuring he got the breakup, no first down, and no PI. That was pretty savvy. If you can make the team in one PS game, I figure he did it. The play aginst the fullback on the goal line sealed it for me.

4) Tavon looks really comfortable. He seems to be running his routes at a different speed.

5) Stedman Bailey is really a quality receiver. The back shoulder TD showcased his body intelligence. As he started making his turn to get the ball, he gave the defender a light tap on the shoulder, BUT DID NOT EXTEND HIS ARM. He got the push off with no Offensive PI by doing that. That was pretty awesome.

6) Our TE group is pretty impressive and specialized. Harkey is impressive and rumbling boulder of a person, Kendricks has gotten so smooth in his routes I no longer hold my breathe when he rolls out for the ball. Bayer is ready to play. He was more showcased at Bowling Green than any other receiver (except maybe Gallon), so he's used to having the ball come his way.

7) Emory Blake and Austin Franklin made cases for themselves. If not here, then somewhere. Franklin's route running is special.

8) Michael Sam looked better than Westbrooks . . which I was not expecting. Guess the stage kinda scared him. Between the D line and the DBs, Im not sure we keep everyone, maybe we can trade rather than just cutting, but I want to keep 10 DBs and 10 Dline.

9) Pettis is going to be tough to cut.

10) Zac Stacy was a vision. He makes his cuts so effortlessly with those ballerina feet. I think many do not give him credit for how hard he hits the hole. Tre Mason may have better lateral agility . . but he is not the runner that Benny or Zac is yet. I think besides KC, we have the best running attack in football (I am counting Tavon). I picked Cunningham as my surprise player this year. He does not have the feet or vision to get 7 yards where there is only 3 like Zac does, but he has the ability to breakaway if the D makes a mistake, and I believe we will see it couple times this year.

11) The young LBs fared fine, and I really like them blitzing Steward.

12) Joyner isn't going to have any trouble tackling at his size.

13) The backup QBs are an upgrade for sure.

The not so good.

14) Givens may wash out this year. He is not dynamic or trustworthy.

15) Barnes upset me a couple times. He may practice well, but I am going to be stunned if Barrett Jones cannot take his spot.

16) Cody Davis is going to have a hard time. He is playing kinda francic, and if he misses tackles like that he wont make the team.

17) Jo-Lonn Dunbar is too old to miss tackling high.

18) Carrington, Conrath, etc . . . no push. Carrington did get through one play and then didnt have the burst to get to the ball carrier.

Thats all for now . . . I have to look back at my threads last year to see if I have the right format. Thanks for reading.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
That was a really great read! I agree on Givens. He just doesnt show "the wiggle" he needs to have with his lack of height. He's a straight line burner and that has its limitations. Starting to wonder if his rookie year was a fluke. Luckily he still has a lot of time to prove himself.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Agree with most except on Greg Robinson. Looked great at times and was impressive getting to the 2nd level at LG. But had a lot of trouble picking up stunts inside in the passing game. I think that should improve once Wells returns. He did get better as the game went on, but still a little concerned with his pass blocking. Overall happy with what I seen but there is still work to be done.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Interesting read..Agree with a bunch of this...

I agree with most except for the part about Barnes. Thought he played well, opened up some nice holes and no issues in pass protection other that the miscommunication with Robinson, which was most likely a rookie mistake. IMO Barnes can push Wells for the starting job.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Cody Davis didn't have a great outting at all. If Mo would play STs I'd think Davis wouldn't make it past first cuts.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would like to add to your very good list if I may Steve Brown......I would add:
The very Good above your The Good to say.....

*Mike Person who played mostly OLT with some OLG in Friday nights first pre season game. I would encourage everyone to re watch the left side of the OL not just Greg Robinson which was good but the super smooth effective and zero mistakes taking place out on the island of OLT by Mike Person. You will be highly pleased with what you will see! Person was replaced in the 3rd quarter by Sean Hooey and the OLT post was nowhere as effective. This to me was my biggest good surprise of the Rams-Saints game.

I was a little surprised on the play of Davin Joseph of the five original starters....Person/Robinson/Barnes& Barksdale....he permitted more penetration than the rest...Barnes on a regular basis would get the over center big DT handled more often than Joseph. As a whole the interior OL did not get out & get many helmets on the Lb'ers as I would have liked.....if you want to compare the two OG's you will see Robinson moving very little while the DT just squirms around doing nothing where Joseph is getting pushed back often. I also have to admit that Robinson sure looks mighty good securing the OLT post too such a larger man than Person but those feet of Person.....nice flow!

Last edited:

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would like to add to your very good list if I may Steve Brown......I would add:
The very Good above your The Good to say.....

*Mike Person who played mostly OLT with some OLG in Friday nights first pre season game. I would encourage everyone to re watch the left side of the OL not just Greg Robinson which was good but the super smooth effective and zero mistakes taking place out on the island of OLT by Mike Person. You will be highly pleased with what you will see! Person was replaced in the 3rd quarter by Sean Hooey and the OLT post was nowhere as effective. This to me was my biggest good surprise of the Rams-Saints game.
I am surprised about Person.Can't wait to see... I can't watch the game yet...TORTURE!

RamWoodie

Legend
It's one game folks....and they ain't showing much past basic football. The preseason is a measuring tool...and the coaching staff is looking at ability and intelligence.

Take a deep breath...and don't read too much into ANYTHING!!!

FRO

Legend
@12intheBox , you were right about Hill's throw to Cook. The window was much bigger than I remembered. Just rewatched the play. Cook made a great play on a poor throw.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's one game folks....and they ain't showing much past basic football. The preseason is a measuring tool...and the coaching staff is looking at ability and intelligence.

Take a deep breath...and don't read too much into ANYTHING!!!

Yes all true but before the end of the first half the Saints DC was throwing 6 & 7 defenders @ that OL!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
@12intheBox , you were right about Hill's throw to Cook. The window was much bigger than I remembered. Just rewatched the play. Cook made a great play on a poor throw.

Hard to say where the truth lies without knowing the playcall - but if it was just a zone read - the ball a few more feet inside would have been nice.

I think Cook is much more effective 15+ yards down the field than he is in the short field - they should be stretching it w him a bit more often in my opinion.

FRO

Legend
Hard to say where the truth lies without knowing the playcall - but if it was just a zone read - the ball a few more feet inside would have been nice.

I think Cook is much more effective 15+ yards down the field than he is in the short field - they should be stretching it w him a bit more often in my opinion.
The guy has all pro talent. I would like to see him go down the seam more often.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam not liking what he sees:
I was a little surprised on the play of Davin Joseph of the five original starters....Person/Robinson/Barnes& Barksdale....he permitted more penetration than the rest...Barnes on a regular basis would get the over center big DT handled more often than Joseph.
Now we see why he was pretty much unwanted in FA. It appears he's still not back from the injury. Still, I think he's an upgrade over Williams and Shelly and the best backup we have at guard. What are your thoughts?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Now we see why he was pretty much unwanted in FA. It appears he's still not back from the injury. Still, I think he's an upgrade over Williams and Shelly and the best backup we have at guard. What are your thoughts?

I believe he will get better & improve as he gets more comfortable with the OL'ers around him. When the older veteran gets back in line (Wells) I would expect him to assist both GR & DJ in those times when either could use the assistance.... I still think Joseph right now is better than any ORG we have had other than Saffold in many many years...take that however you want but we are very lucky to have him here @ the price we got him. This Saturday we go up against a true 34 defense ......yes it will get interesting. I will get a chance to see Person going up against those super quick RDE/ROSLB tweeners so that will be trial for him too. Barksdale had @ times too has his issues with the 34 defense with some examples when we played the Cowboys/9ers & Cards last yr with those quicker Tweeners . My understanding is both starters @ OSLB'er will not play but for the first time we will see Julius Peppers OSLB'er post in a 34????

Oh you will get a chance to watch one of your favorite safeties in this last draft Clnton-Dix..... Alan