An Open Letter to NFL Owners

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I don't think it's the rules as much as how the refs are calling things. That's what should change IMO, the rules are fine and I have no problem with player safety. As I've posted before most rules changes in the last several decades have been to improve player safety. I posted a list of all the rules changes and I don't have a problem with them.

Fix the fukken refs though and few of us will have any complaints.

Maybe it's the rules, or maybe it's the emphasis, but either way, something is out of whack. I'm sick and tired of seeing guys get called for roughing the passer because their arm grazed the QB's shoulder pads. And I'm tired of teams getting away with offensive holding as another way to protect the QB's.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Maybe it's the rules, or maybe it's the emphasis, but either way, something is out of whack. I'm sick and tired of seeing guys get called for roughing the passer because their arm grazed the QB's shoulder pads. And I'm tired of teams getting away with offensive holding as another way to protect the QB's.

That would be what I am talking about......the refs are the problem not the rules.

Alan

Legend
Stranger with a strange twist:
so, it was over "power"?
It's called respect for authority. There isn't a boss in the world that doesn't require that.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ive-in-the-short-term-not-over-the-long-haul/

Goodell may survive in the short term, not over the long haul
Posted by Mike Florio on September 29, 2014

goodell21.jpg
AP

The league office typically doesn’t issue pink slips in the wake of controversy. Instead, the NFL usually waits for the issue to subside, and then the person deemed responsible for the problem quietly takes another job, either with an NFL team or as the A.D. at a Pac-12 school.

As it turns out, that same thing could happen to Commissioner Roger Goodell, even if his eventual departure would hardly be quiet.

Peter King of TheMMQB.com explains that at least one owner believes that Goodell could survive over the short term, but that lingering harm to the brand and/or public discontent could result in Goodell leaving at some point down the road.

Eventually, he may want to go — especially if he’s pushed to give up some of the extreme power he currently enjoys over matters of player discipline. Per King, some owners believe Goodell spends too much time on discipline. There’s also a belief he plays favorites when it comes to meting out punishment; it could be argued that the Ravens received an ill-advised favor on Ray Rice and that the Saints were unduly hammered two years ago in the bounty scandal.

Before any of that becomes relevant, Goodell must survive the aftermath of the Robert Mueller report and the ensuing Ray Rice appeal hearing, which likely will feature testimony from the Commissioner.

So while the focus for most football fans and those covering the sport have returned to the game, important issues linger regarding the man who runs pro football. Those issues could still bring him down.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't like Goodell but he is being treated really badly by the media jackals. Florio should know better, in fact he DOES know better. Two games is what has been meted out as justice for players that commit domestic violence, right or wrong that's how it's been forever. So for him to say that Goodell did the Ravens a favor is intellectually dishonest and really lacks integrity.

This whole thing is SO overblown in my opinion. They are creating drama to drive page views and clicks and flushing journalism and reporting right down the shitter.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
It's called respect for authority. There isn't a boss in the world that doesn't require that.
I don't have a "boss", and I never have had one. Why would I ever allow someone else to tell me what to do? That seems like a ridiculous abandonment of power. I respect people for their humanity, not someone who has a man-made "title". Hierarchical structures are quickly disappearing, anyway, as we shed what's left of this old style economy - but that's outside the scope of this forum.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ive-in-the-short-term-not-over-the-long-haul/

Goodell may survive in the short term, not over the long haul
Posted by Mike Florio on September 29, 2014

goodell21.jpg
AP

The league office typically doesn’t issue pink slips in the wake of controversy. Instead, the NFL usually waits for the issue to subside, and then the person deemed responsible for the problem quietly takes another job, either with an NFL team or as the A.D. at a Pac-12 school.

As it turns out, that same thing could happen to Commissioner Roger Goodell, even if his eventual departure would hardly be quiet.

Peter King of TheMMQB.com explains that at least one owner believes that Goodell could survive over the short term, but that lingering harm to the brand and/or public discontent could result in Goodell leaving at some point down the road.

Eventually, he may want to go — especially if he’s pushed to give up some of the extreme power he currently enjoys over matters of player discipline. Per King, some owners believe Goodell spends too much time on discipline. There’s also a belief he plays favorites when it comes to meting out punishment; it could be argued that the Ravens received an ill-advised favor on Ray Rice and that the Saints were unduly hammered two years ago in the bounty scandal.

Before any of that becomes relevant, Goodell must survive the aftermath of the Robert Mueller report and the ensuing Ray Rice appeal hearing, which likely will feature testimony from the Commissioner.

So while the focus for most football fans and those covering the sport have returned to the game, important issues linger regarding the man who runs pro football. Those issues could still bring him down.
The mind boggles at the 12-dimensional chess match that must be going-on behind the scenes now in the NFL re: Goodhell and his future.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't have a "boss", and I never have had one. Why would I ever allow someone else to tell me what to do? That seems like a ridiculous abandonment of power. I respect people for their humanity, not someone who has a man-made "title". Hierarchical structures are quickly disappearing, anyway, as we shed what's left of this old style economy - but that's outside the scope of this forum.

The mind boggles at the 12-dimensional chess match that must be going-on behind the scenes now in the NFL re: Goodhell and his future.

Do you respect a police officers badge and authority and man made title when you get pulled over? What about the IRS?

Laws of almost every kind dictate what you can do, in effect telling you what to do.

Even traffic signs "tell you what to do".

Alan

Legend
Stranger with immaterial info:
I don't have a "boss", and I never have had one. Why would I ever allow someone else to tell me what to do? That seems like a ridiculous abandonment of power. I respect people who demonstrate humanity, not someone who has a man-made "title"
It's wonderful that you're your own boss but that really has nothing to do with this incident. Simmons isn't wearing your shoes is he? Plus, your statement is incorrect. You allow those in authority to tell you what to do all the time. The police, the courts, the ROD mods and all the different divisions of the government such as the IRS. Not to mention your wife. :LOL: Doing what your boss asks is a ridiculous abandonment of power? No, it's you doing what you promised in the bargain you made when accepting employment. You agreed to do what your boss wants and he agreed to compensate you for keeping your end of the bargain. Feel free to dare the IRS to tell you what you have to pay in taxes because I'd like them concentrating on you instead of me. :fighting: :ROFLMAO: Not that I'm worried about the IRS. :unsure: :cautious:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
It's wonderful that you're your own boss but that really has nothing to do with this incident. Simmons isn't wearing your shoes is he? Plus, your statement is incorrect. You allow those in authority to tell you what to do all the time. The police, the courts, the ROD mods and all the different divisions of the government such as the IRS. Not to mention your wife. :LOL: Doing what your boss asks is a ridiculous abandonment of power? No, it's you doing what you promised in the bargain you made when accepting employment. You agreed to do what your boss wants and he agreed to compensate you for keeping your end of the bargain. Feel free to dare the IRS to tell you what you have to pay in taxes because I'd like them concentrating on you instead of me. :fighting: :ROFLMAO: Not that I'm worried about the IRS. :unsure: :cautious:
Yup, you're right. I guess that's why I never accepted that bargain.