An Open Letter to NFL Owners

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/24/open-letter-to-nfl-owners-roger-goodell-should-be-replaced/

An Open Letter to NFL Owners: The Game Deserves Better
The author, a writer for The MMQB, says it’s time to replace or reassign Roger Goodell, and bring in an independent commissioner who represents the interests of everyone who contributes to football’s success
By Greg A. Bedard

bedard-growing-up.jpg

The author as a young football fan.

Dear NFL owners,

I have loved the NFL ever since I can remember. I can recall watching games on the couch with my father, and how he stressed the importance of good line play. I remember my first plastic Dolphins helmet, and my favorite Dan Marino jersey (it’s still in my closet somewhere). I cheered in the rain at the Orange Bowl and froze on the metal bleachers at Foxboro Stadium.

I tried to make it out alive at Giants Stadium and the Vet. I now make my living by (hopefully) enhancing fans’ knowledge of the game, and I often talk in the car with my son and daughter about the big games coming up. I can’t remember when the NFL hasn’t played a central role in my life. I love the game of football, and I have immense respect for those who are in that arena.

After much debate and consideration, I feel it’s necessary to tell you this: You can and should do better. Roger Goodell needs to go, or at least be reassigned. And he should be replaced by an independent commissioner.

I get it: You like Goodell. He’s been a loyal NFL employee for many years, and he’s made you a lot of money by positioning the league to take advantage of every revenue stream and by getting you a great deal in the current collective bargaining agreement. He also seems to be a good guy.

But NFL fans have lost faith in his ability to lead the league. In Sports Illustrated’s Fan Poll, just 29% think Goodell should keep his job. After last week’s press conference debacle, he has no credibility. The players have felt this way for a long time. Now fans are standing with them, hoping for better.

Article VIII in the Constitution and Bylaws of the National Football League is titled, “Commissioner.” The first line reads: “The League shall select and employ a person of unquestioned integrity to serve as Commissioner…” Goodell’s integrity is very much in question, which, by the letter of your law, means he is unfit for the office he holds.

How he handled the Ray Rice case is just the latest example. How Goodell passed judgment on him without demanding the video from inside the elevator is unconscionable at best, and showing possible favoritism to the Ravens at worst. This has been a problem before.

Goodell meted out his punishment for the Patriots in Spygate four days before anyone from the league office examined the Patriots’ other tapes and associated notes to determine the extent and influence of the illegal taping. Then the tapes and notes were destroyed. Why? Was it a favor to Patriots owner Robert Kraft? We’ll never know.

When Goodell conducted a coin toss to determine whether the Giants or Jets would host the first game at MetLife Stadium, he didn’t invite either team and declared the Giants the winner. Was this a favor to the Maras one of the NFL’s founding families, over newcomer Woody Johnson? Again, we’ll never know. But Johnson issued a statementthat said plenty, then and now. “The League departed from our time-honored tradition and declined the opportunity to set the matter straight with a transparent process,” he said.

It’s not clear if Goodell even understands the concept of transparency, which is the foundation of trust and integrity. During the press conference he said, “There is no reason we cannot be as transparent and as effective on these [personal conduct] issues as we are with the game on the field.” Later, when asked what Rice said in the hearing, Goodell sidestepped the question by invoking Rice’s appeal. There is no reason not to answer that question. What Rice already said is fact and evidence. An appeal, in which Goodell will be called as a witness to explain how Rice’s words were ambiguous, is not going to change that. Tell us now what your testimony will be.

goodell-kraft.jpg

Goodell’s chummy relationship with some NFL owners, like New England’s Robert Kraft, has called into question the commissioner’s ability to rule without prejudice. (Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

When asked about the Associated Press report that said the elevator tape of Rice knocking out his then-fiancée had been sent to the league office months before Goodell handed down a mere two-game ban, the commissioner offered nothing in the way of genuine answers. When asked about anything of substance, Goodell deferred to the investigation by former FBI director Robert Mueller or to the committee he plans to form by the Super Bowl—five months from now—to recommend changes to the personal conduct policy.

Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf were found by a New Jersey judge in a civil case to have committed fraud, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty, in violation of the state’s RICO statute, and ordered to pay $84.5 million. They have not been punished by Goodell.

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam’s truck stop company, Pilot Flying J, agreed to pay a $92 million penalty as part of a federal fraud investigation. He has not been punished by the NFL.

With Haslam, the league has taken the position that “there have been no allegations of any personal conduct that is in violation of NFL policy.” The league hasn’t issued a statement on the Wilfs, but the cases are similar: Two league owners were punished by the judicial system for fraud.

The league’s personal conduct policy clearly states that a person doesn’t have to be convicted or even engage in criminal activity to be punished. “You are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the League is based, and is lawful,” the policy reads. “Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime.” One circumstance that allows discipline to be imposed: “Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players.”

And, finally, Goodell appointed Mueller to conduct the independent investigation of the Rice episode. Mueller is a partner at the law firm of WilmerHale. Not only has that firm done work for the NFL, but Ravens president Dick Cass, a central figure in the investigation, was also a partner there for 31 years. This isn’t just a failure of transparency. It’s an insult to NFL fans who are continually being disappointed by the failures of leadership.

These are just the examples we know about, but it makes you wonder: How many times has Goodell sided with one team because he knows that owner better? Did he punish the Saints harshly in Bountygate because Goodell isn’t as chummy with Tom Benson? Which owners are talking to Goodell before he disciplines a player on that team? We don’t know because Goodell doesn’t want us to know.

His idea of transparency has been a curtain, and only he holds the rope. A few years back I questioned his involvement in a Rex Ryan scheme to manipulate then-Jets receiver Santonio Holmes to the team’s advantage. Goodell wouldn’t stop to answer my questions, so our “interview” was 71 seconds long on the move. The look he gave me was, basically, “How dare you question my motives?”

condi-rice.jpg

Condoleezza Rice (Tim Dominick/MCT/Getty Images)

All NFL owners have preached, in some form, that everyone must do right by the league and game. It’s time to show fans that you care about more than money and personal loyalties. The game of football is bigger than that. It is time for the league to have an independent commissioner who is not handpicked by the owners. Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice would make a fine choice. Other respected public figures who come to mind include John Madden, Steve Young, Alan Page, Steve Largent, Tony Dungy, J.C. Watts, Carl Levin, Robert Thomas, Cory Booker and Jon Runyan.

Really, it doesn’t matter who it is. As long as the next commissioner has a mission of overseeing the game fairly, independently and transparently, fans will be on board. It has to be about more than just “protecting the shield”—which we now know is code for looking out for team owners, with Goodell telling fans only what he thinks we need to know and when. With all due respect, you owners might control the teams, but the players give football its vitality and fans are the ones who buy the tickets, purchase the concessions, give you the TV ratings and buy the merchandise that funds this game. We have a stake in the game. In our own way, we too are owners. We more than deserve a say.

I’ve spoken to many of you owners during my career. You take great pride in knowing that football is the most popular game in the country. You want the NFL to be a beacon that people can look to for direction. You’ve made plenty of money, and you’ll continue to make much more. Electing an independent commissioner can make the NFL even more popular without threatening your bottom line. You would be acting as true stewards of the game and making fans feel as if they’re more than just line items on a spreadsheet. Prove to them that they have a voice. Prove to them that you’re listening.

Convene a committee to find the next NFL commissioner, and include player representatives and season-ticket holders. Let them whittle down the list of candidates. Find the people with the best ideas on how to bring the integrity of the league up to the level of the game. Should there be a clearer line of demarcation between the football side of the league office and the business side? Should there be a CEO along with the CFO, both of whom report to a commissioner? Who should make personal conduct decisions? Let’s find a way to bring more transparency to 345 Park Avenue.

The game has taken a massive hit due to out-of-touch leadership. Don’t further the damage by backing Roger Goodell out of misguided loyalty. Instead, take a step back and open your minds. Football is a great game, but only because of the people who play it and support it. You’ll never get another opportunity like this. The time to act is now. Put someone in charge who will do what’s right for the game, not just for you.

Sincerely,

Greg A. Bedard

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/24/bill-simmons-goes-all-in-against-roger-goodell/

Bill Simmons goes all in against Roger Goodell
Posted by Mike Florio on September 24, 2014

simmons.jpg
Getty Images

On Friday, Tedy Bruschi of ESPN made the case for a new Commissioner in a clear and passionate way. On Monday, Bill Simmons of ESPN opted for something equally passionate, but also more than a little profane.

“Goodell, if he didn’t know what was on that tape, he’s a liar,” Simmons said Monday on his podcast, via Mediaite.com. “I’m just saying it. He is lying. I think that dude is lying. If you put him up on a lie detector test that guy would fail. For all these people to pretend they didn’t know is such f–king bullsh-t. It really is. It’s such f–king bullsh-t. And for him to go in that press conference and pretend otherwise, I was so insulted. I really was.”

Simmons later reiterated his belief that Goodell is a liar, and then Simmons dared ESPN to tell him to tone it down.

“I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell,” Simmons said. “Because if one person says that to me, I’m going public. You leave me alone. The Commissioner’s a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. . . . Please, call me and say I’m in trouble. I dare you.”

With so many voices so aggressively attacking Goodell and the Ravens, ESPN seems to be daring the league to retaliate. Which has prompted some in the media to wonder whether, if Goodell ultimately survives, he’ll hold a grudge against the network that once canceledPlaymakers at the insistence of his predecessor. (The league thought Playmakers unfairly depicted pro football players . . . and the story lines from the last two weeks would have been rejected at the time as way too far fetched.)

On one hand, it would be easier at this point for Goodell to list those who haven’t called him out in the last two weeks. On the other hand, ESPN has been the loudest and the most blunt in its attacks on the Commissioner.

Throw in the quickly eroding report about the Ravens’ mishandling of the case and, yeah, it makes sense for ESPN to be a little nervous about coexisting with the league office and the Ravens if the dust settles with the key players still in place in both Baltimore and Manhattan.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/24/open-letter-to-nfl-owners-roger-goodell-should-be-replaced/

An Open Letter to NFL Owners: The Game Deserves Better
The author, a writer for The MMQB, says it’s time to replace or reassign Roger Goodell, and bring in an independent commissioner who represents the interests of everyone who contributes to football’s success
By Greg A. Bedard

bedard-growing-up.jpg

The author as a young football fan.

Dear NFL owners,

I have loved the NFL ever since I can remember. I can recall watching games on the couch with my father, and how he stressed the importance of good line play. I remember my first plastic Dolphins helmet, and my favorite Dan Marino jersey (it’s still in my closet somewhere). I cheered in the rain at the Orange Bowl and froze on the metal bleachers at Foxboro Stadium.

I tried to make it out alive at Giants Stadium and the Vet. I now make my living by (hopefully) enhancing fans’ knowledge of the game, and I often talk in the car with my son and daughter about the big games coming up. I can’t remember when the NFL hasn’t played a central role in my life. I love the game of football, and I have immense respect for those who are in that arena.

After much debate and consideration, I feel it’s necessary to tell you this: You can and should do better. Roger Goodell needs to go, or at least be reassigned. And he should be replaced by an independent commissioner.

I get it: You like Goodell. He’s been a loyal NFL employee for many years, and he’s made you a lot of money by positioning the league to take advantage of every revenue stream and by getting you a great deal in the current collective bargaining agreement. He also seems to be a good guy.

But NFL fans have lost faith in his ability to lead the league. In Sports Illustrated’s Fan Poll, just 29% think Goodell should keep his job. After last week’s press conference debacle, he has no credibility. The players have felt this way for a long time. Now fans are standing with them, hoping for better.

Article VIII in the Constitution and Bylaws of the National Football League is titled, “Commissioner.” The first line reads: “The League shall select and employ a person of unquestioned integrity to serve as Commissioner…” Goodell’s integrity is very much in question, which, by the letter of your law, means he is unfit for the office he holds.

How he handled the Ray Rice case is just the latest example. How Goodell passed judgment on him without demanding the video from inside the elevator is unconscionable at best, and showing possible favoritism to the Ravens at worst. This has been a problem before.

Goodell meted out his punishment for the Patriots in Spygate four days before anyone from the league office examined the Patriots’ other tapes and associated notes to determine the extent and influence of the illegal taping. Then the tapes and notes were destroyed. Why? Was it a favor to Patriots owner Robert Kraft? We’ll never know.

When Goodell conducted a coin toss to determine whether the Giants or Jets would host the first game at MetLife Stadium, he didn’t invite either team and declared the Giants the winner. Was this a favor to the Maras one of the NFL’s founding families, over newcomer Woody Johnson? Again, we’ll never know. But Johnson issued a statementthat said plenty, then and now. “The League departed from our time-honored tradition and declined the opportunity to set the matter straight with a transparent process,” he said.

It’s not clear if Goodell even understands the concept of transparency, which is the foundation of trust and integrity. During the press conference he said, “There is no reason we cannot be as transparent and as effective on these [personal conduct] issues as we are with the game on the field.” Later, when asked what Rice said in the hearing, Goodell sidestepped the question by invoking Rice’s appeal. There is no reason not to answer that question. What Rice already said is fact and evidence. An appeal, in which Goodell will be called as a witness to explain how Rice’s words were ambiguous, is not going to change that. Tell us now what your testimony will be.

goodell-kraft.jpg

Goodell’s chummy relationship with some NFL owners, like New England’s Robert Kraft, has called into question the commissioner’s ability to rule without prejudice. (Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

When asked about the Associated Press report that said the elevator tape of Rice knocking out his then-fiancée had been sent to the league office months before Goodell handed down a mere two-game ban, the commissioner offered nothing in the way of genuine answers. When asked about anything of substance, Goodell deferred to the investigation by former FBI director Robert Mueller or to the committee he plans to form by the Super Bowl—five months from now—to recommend changes to the personal conduct policy.

Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf were found by a New Jersey judge in a civil case to have committed fraud, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty, in violation of the state’s RICO statute, and ordered to pay $84.5 million. They have not been punished by Goodell.

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam’s truck stop company, Pilot Flying J, agreed to pay a $92 million penalty as part of a federal fraud investigation. He has not been punished by the NFL.

With Haslam, the league has taken the position that “there have been no allegations of any personal conduct that is in violation of NFL policy.” The league hasn’t issued a statement on the Wilfs, but the cases are similar: Two league owners were punished by the judicial system for fraud.

The league’s personal conduct policy clearly states that a person doesn’t have to be convicted or even engage in criminal activity to be punished. “You are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the League is based, and is lawful,” the policy reads. “Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime.” One circumstance that allows discipline to be imposed: “Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players.”

And, finally, Goodell appointed Mueller to conduct the independent investigation of the Rice episode. Mueller is a partner at the law firm of WilmerHale. Not only has that firm done work for the NFL, but Ravens president Dick Cass, a central figure in the investigation, was also a partner there for 31 years. This isn’t just a failure of transparency. It’s an insult to NFL fans who are continually being disappointed by the failures of leadership.

These are just the examples we know about, but it makes you wonder: How many times has Goodell sided with one team because he knows that owner better? Did he punish the Saints harshly in Bountygate because Goodell isn’t as chummy with Tom Benson? Which owners are talking to Goodell before he disciplines a player on that team? We don’t know because Goodell doesn’t want us to know.

His idea of transparency has been a curtain, and only he holds the rope. A few years back I questioned his involvement in a Rex Ryan scheme to manipulate then-Jets receiver Santonio Holmes to the team’s advantage. Goodell wouldn’t stop to answer my questions, so our “interview” was 71 seconds long on the move. The look he gave me was, basically, “How dare you question my motives?”

condi-rice.jpg

Condoleezza Rice (Tim Dominick/MCT/Getty Images)

All NFL owners have preached, in some form, that everyone must do right by the league and game. It’s time to show fans that you care about more than money and personal loyalties. The game of football is bigger than that. It is time for the league to have an independent commissioner who is not handpicked by the owners. Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice would make a fine choice. Other respected public figures who come to mind include John Madden, Steve Young, Alan Page, Steve Largent, Tony Dungy, J.C. Watts, Carl Levin, Robert Thomas, Cory Booker and Jon Runyan.

Really, it doesn’t matter who it is. As long as the next commissioner has a mission of overseeing the game fairly, independently and transparently, fans will be on board. It has to be about more than just “protecting the shield”—which we now know is code for looking out for team owners, with Goodell telling fans only what he thinks we need to know and when. With all due respect, you owners might control the teams, but the players give football its vitality and fans are the ones who buy the tickets, purchase the concessions, give you the TV ratings and buy the merchandise that funds this game. We have a stake in the game. In our own way, we too are owners. We more than deserve a say.

I’ve spoken to many of you owners during my career. You take great pride in knowing that football is the most popular game in the country. You want the NFL to be a beacon that people can look to for direction. You’ve made plenty of money, and you’ll continue to make much more. Electing an independent commissioner can make the NFL even more popular without threatening your bottom line. You would be acting as true stewards of the game and making fans feel as if they’re more than just line items on a spreadsheet. Prove to them that they have a voice. Prove to them that you’re listening.

Convene a committee to find the next NFL commissioner, and include player representatives and season-ticket holders. Let them whittle down the list of candidates. Find the people with the best ideas on how to bring the integrity of the league up to the level of the game. Should there be a clearer line of demarcation between the football side of the league office and the business side? Should there be a CEO along with the CFO, both of whom report to a commissioner? Who should make personal conduct decisions? Let’s find a way to bring more transparency to 345 Park Avenue.

The game has taken a massive hit due to out-of-touch leadership. Don’t further the damage by backing Roger Goodell out of misguided loyalty. Instead, take a step back and open your minds. Football is a great game, but only because of the people who play it and support it. You’ll never get another opportunity like this. The time to act is now. Put someone in charge who will do what’s right for the game, not just for you.

Sincerely,

Greg A. Bedard

Damn, that's pretty spot on.
There was a time when I honestly thought Goodell was doing a good job, and it wasn't even that long ago. But the issue of player safety feels like it rings hollow, the Ray Rice thing is a joke of epic proportions and his punishments as judge, jury and executioner are carried out with no rhyme or reason to them.

I don't know that the owners will cave because as the author states, the NFL has really boomed under Goodell's tenure and fans, though good intentioned, really lack the willingness to organize any sort of boycott outside of strongly worded messages on boards and chat rooms.

I don't think this episode will be over any time soon.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Helluva "Open Letter..."! Can't say I disagree with anything said in it.

Alan

Legend
Nothing we didn't already know but the chorus is getting larger and stronger.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The NFL and it corrupt, shitbag owners hold all the cards...and they know it. Goodell is a schmuck for sure, but also nothing more than a figurehead for the owners. If this gets too hot, the owners will simply place him under the bus and laugh. The media will happily drive over his body, then backup and drive over it some more, and we will all celebrate our great "win" for the game we love. A few months later, the owners will appoint another mouthpiece and move on per the status quo. When another dire crisis emerges, rinse and repeat.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The NFL and it corrupt, shitbag owners hold all the cards...and they know it. Goodell is a schmuck for sure, but also nothing more than a figurehead for the owners. If this gets too hot, the owners will simply place him under the bus and laugh. The media will happily drive over his body, then backup and drive over it some more, and we will all celebrate our great "win" for the game we love. A few months later, the owners will appoint another mouthpiece and move on per the status quo. When another dire crisis emerges, rinse and repeat.

"Meet the new boss ... same as the old boss"

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
It's a great point. Goodell is just a million dollar patsy really. He carries out the owner's bidding pretty plain and simple. If he leaves, he'll be given a nice severance package and the owners can tell everyone "We care, we put that rapscallion out of office!" Then prop up their next puppet. I'd like to see a much more impartial and democratic process to putting in a new commissioner, but at the end of the day, does it really matter?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I said it before.........Goodell is going to be the sacrificial lamb the owners use even though they don't want to, in order to right the image of the NFL.

Now I think he has done some really good things, and some really bad things. And now there is enough "bad" that he should be forced out.

Philly5

Rookie
Lets hope the intensity keeps up. Right now Goodell is in 'ride out the storm' mode.

Unfortunately, being good for some owners and the sponsors is all that will matter.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
The thing is, Goodell knows where all the bodies are buried so to speak. If the owners decide to use him as a scapegoat, they had better be prepared to pay through the nose for his silence. If they don't handle his departure with grace and a fat payout (assuming that is in fact how this plays out and he is asked to leave), he could quite easily make a fortune with the release of a tell all book or interview. I have no doubt he has all sorts of leverage over the owners in that respect.

Alan

Legend
Ramrocket thinking about the wrong kind of bodies:
The thing is, Goodell knows where all the bodies are buried so to speak.
That might be because he buried many of them himself. :LOL:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Lets hope the intensity keeps up. Right now Goodell is in 'ride out the storm' mode.

Unfortunately, being good for some owners and the sponsors is all that will matter.

^ This. Sadly.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The thing is, Goodell knows where all the bodies are buried so to speak. If the owners decide to use him as a scapegoat, they had better be prepared to pay through the nose for his silence. If they don't handle his departure with grace and a fat payout (assuming that is in fact how this plays out and he is asked to leave), he could quite easily make a fortune with the release of a tell all book or interview. I have no doubt he has all sorts of leverage over the owners in that respect.

Quite sure his contract contains a confidentiality agreement.

If he so much as steps out of line, he's in line for legal action.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I wonder who is behind the push to oust Goodhell. Perhaps AB has collected a contingent of sponsors who have had a serious conversation with ESPN board level execs, and the dogs are now being released. Wish I could say that this is really just individual reporters going off, but my guess is that these reporters have been wanting to say what they are now saying for years, and their editors and producers have finally given them the green light.

I wonder if some of the owners are quiety behind this push as well? Stan could have spoken to his Walmart wife, who has pushed to have walmart execs engage in quiet conversations with media execs.

Anyway, the sponsors finally get it. They realize billions are at stake if fans start turning away from the NFL for it's duplicitious secrecy. It's in everyone's interest to clean-up the league to keep the money flowing. Hence, media pressure ensues, to be followed by action.

Don't worry, it won't be long now, new candidates have already been vetted, at least that's my hunch. The media is just prepping the public for what's already been decided. I'd give Goodhell until the end of October, if not sooner.

Let's just hope the changes are real, meaningful and deep... not simply window dressing to appease an angry public.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Let's just hope the changes are real, meaningful and deep... not simply window dressing to appease an angry public.

my real meaningful and deep do you mean that the NFL will no longer be fixed :sneaky:

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Quite sure his contract contains a confidentiality agreement.

If he so much as steps out of line, he's in line for legal action.

Yes, but if he was involved in anything illegal, those confidentiality clauses effectively are redundant. He could offer to blow the whistle in return for immunity from prosecution.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here's what happens when you dare to speak out against Roger Goodell and his crew:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-espn-bill-simmons-suspended-20140924-story.html

ESPN's Bill Simmons suspended for Goodell rant; barred from Twitter
By RYAN PARKER

600x338

Sports analyst Bill Simmons, shown in Los Angeles in 2011, was suspended for three weeks after a rant against NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. (Tiffany Rose / WireImage)

ESPN analyst Bill Simmons has been suspended for three weeks after he made profane comments about NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell during a podcast.

In addition, Simmons is not allowed to use Twitter while suspended, an ESPN spokesman confirmed to The Times.

Shortly after the suspension was announced, #FreeSimmons began trending worldwide on Twitter.

On his BS Report podcast hosted on ESPN.com, Simmons used the F word multiple times while passionately exclaiming that Goodell was lying about his involvement and knowledge of the mishandling of the Ray Rice domestic abuse scandal.

“Goodell, if he didn’t know what was on that tape, he’s a liar. I’m just saying it. He is lying. If you put him up on a lie detector test, that guy would fail. For all these people to pretend they didn’t know is such ... . It really is, it’s such ... . For him to go into that press conference and pretend otherwise -- I was so insulted.”

Simmons, also the editor-in-chief of Grantland.com, then dared ESPN to reprimand him for what he said during the same podcast.

“I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell,” Simmons said. “Because if one person says that to me, I’m going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner’s a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. ... Please, call me and say I’m in trouble. I dare you.”

ESPN did just that.

“Every employee must be accountable to ESPN and those engaged in our editorial operations must also operate within ESPN’s journalistic standards,” it said in a statement. “We have worked hard to ensure that our recent NFL coverage has met that criteria. Bill Simmons did not meet those obligations in a recent podcast, and as a result we have suspended him for three weeks.”

This is not the first time Simmons has been in hot water for comments he has made.

In March 2013, Simmons was suspended from Twitter by ESPN after he tweeted comments about a segment on the popular show "First Take" during which co-host Skip Bayless and flamboyant Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman went shot-for-shot while discussing Sherman's comments about his greatness, Deadspin reported.

Follow @theryanparker on Twitter for breaking news.

So the media (ESPN in this case) suspends someone who exercises free speach?

Odd.

209RamsFan

f–king bullsh-t. It really is. It’s such f–king bullsh-t.

My exact same thoughts from that prick Goodell and the F-king pats walking around with OUR SB36 rings....i will never let it die and will speak about it when given any opportunity...