An Elite Franchise (Dynasty in the making?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
https://clutchpoints.com/how-long-can-the-los-angeles-rams-remain-title-contenders/

The Los Angeles Rams have found relative success in getting into the title picture recently. After years of underperforming and underutilizing talent, they’ve found their groove with the current regime and players. Los Angeles features one of the brightest offensive minds at head coach with Sean McVay, as well as some incredible cornerstones.

They’ve worked their way from the 7-9 seasons under Jeff Fisher to getting to the Super Bowl in just the second year of McVay at the helm. But, some pieces can get in the way of Los Angeles remaining at the top of NFL landscape.

From health concerns to contract negotiations to even the play of these great players can get in the way of them achieving longevity. So it’s essential to look into how long the Rams have to remain as title contenders.

Todd Gurley’s Health
The Rams star running back has proven that he is one of the best offensive weapons in the league over the last two seasons. He’s earned offensive player of the year honors in 2017 and has led the league in both rushing touchdowns (30) and total touchdowns (40) during that span.

However, Gurley’s knee is a significant issue that’s keeping him from a long career and assisting the Rams’ long-term offensive success. Gurley suffered a torn ACL back in his junior year at the University of Georgia, and as much as he’s found success since then, it’s lingered and is keeping him from the field. A lot of this was shown in the postseason last season when CJ Anderson was cutting into Gurley’s carries. And this can be due to Gurley being overused.

Since his rookie season, Gurley has carried the ball 1,042 times. No other running back has 950 carries during that period. And the former Bulldog has missed six games as well.

Adding onto the large workload is the fact that Gurley’s knee has an arthritic component to it as well. Typically ACL tears come with this, but not usually this early in an athlete’s career.

Because of this, the Los Angeles Rams have already looked into replacement options in rookie Darrell Henderson, and are looking to not only keep Gurley’s weight down but his touches as well.

Gurley is a critical part of the team’s offensive success. So now this will hinder on the success of offensive weapons outside of the backfield. They do have this, but that’s another issue that will come up soon.

Keeping and Developing Talent
With the way the Los Angeles Rams were dealing trades and signing players in the 2018 offseason, it will be difficult to see them keep everyone together. New players will want to be signed to longer deals and veterans will play on until they get a championship. But with the amount of talent around, it’s going to be hard to satisfy everyone.

The Rams have the fourth-lowest cap space in the league, and they’re looking at plenty of players that either wants to re-sign or get an extension. Key players like safety John Johnson, receiver Cooper Kupp, and quarterback Jared Goff will all be looking for that money. The Rams would be crazy not to pay them what they want.

But it will be complicated with the many big contracts that have already been given to guys like Aaron Donald and Brandin Cooks, as well as some significantly-priced deals to Eric Weddle and Clay Matthews. This will make it challenging to look for other big names in free agency to help bolster them to the title that fell through their hands. Even worse when considering the draft picks they’ve given up as well.

They have yet to draft a player in the first round in the McVay era. The Rams found success in the 2017 class but fell apart with their 2018 draft class they ranked last in the NFL for what they came away with. Zero starts from any of their rookies last season and very little playing time at all from the 11 players they selected. And even this recent draft was just depth over trying to fill holes on the team.

And it won’t help with a division that they play in that continues to improve.

A Competitive NFC West
A critical factor in getting to the playoffs is by being the best team in your division. It’s only common sense.

However, the NFC West is beginning to turn the corner and provide a severe long-term threat to the Los Angeles Rams. And it shows with what’s happened during this offseason.
  • Seattle Seahawks: A playoff contender any season that locked up franchise quarterback Russell Wilson for the future and filled needs in the draft and free agency.
  • Arizona Cardinals: A team with a revitalized offense with their draft haul that’s looking to improve on the defense as they look to improve from last year.
  • San Francisco 49ers: A team, that if healthy, can be very dangerous with their young talent and offensive-minded head coach.
All of these opponents in this division are getting better through developing young talent and utilizing transactions for long-term success. And Seattle and Arizona are due for a big free agency load with their cap space in the 2020 offseason.

All of these teams are built for the future and have plenty of depth to go around. The Rams need to be better in providing not only depth but players they can develop and bring in at any moment’s notice.

And a lot of this can be attested to the quarterback crop in this division. And speaking on that is the most essential part of this list.

Jared Goff
Quarterback is, without a doubt the most crucial position in football. It’s obvious, and the Rams will likely continue to go with him for the future.

But a lot of this will go back to the contracts situation from earlier. Signing Goff to likely being the highest-paid quarterback in the league is coming soon. And with this rolling around next offseason, it will destroy the Rams’ ability to sign other talents to build around Goff.

Every quarterback that has signed a deal making them the highest-paid quarterback in league history has missed the playoffs the following year. And with a lack of being able to sign other players and re-sign key contributors, Los Angeles will go down very quickly with the deals they have already in place.

Especially with a quarterback that has proven to be unreliable in the playoffs and unable to find success without Todd Gurley. Last postseason he completed 59 of his 106 passes (55.7 percent) for 712 yards and one touchdown to two interceptions and getting sacked five times (a passer rating of 71.7). Not the numbers you want to see from your franchise quarterback in the playoffs.

How Long do the Los Angeles Rams have left?
Realistically with the contracts, they have in place and the young talent that will likely be going away, we should expect them to be done in 2-3 years.

The Los Angeles Rams are a cautionary tale of a team that with a win-now mindset and overworking their star players will end a probable dynasty before it even starts. It’s unfortunate to see, but it’s always great while it lasted.

************************************************************************************************************************

LMAO

Obviously, this guy is just a talking head who has not really looked at this team in depth. If he had he would see that the FO has a plan. They aren't just selling out to win now. They have drafted well and now are beginning to release the heavy overhead and moving their developed young guys up into starting positions. He hasn't followed their drafts and seems to assume that if a player isn't taken in the first or second round they don't have talent, i.e. it shows the author really doesn't know football as much as he thinks. The Rams continue to be very selective in their FA signings to get key veteran players who are either upgrades to what they have, such as Fowler, or who can mentor their young guys for a year or two like Mathews and Weddle. Whose cap hit is slightly over $9M combined.

Next year they will clear a huge amount of cap space when just 3 players, i.e. Talib ($8M), Brockers ($10.7M) and Whitworth ($16.6M) are off the books. I didn't add in Peters ($9M) because I think they might re-sign him to a one year deal depending how he plays this year. This gives them a lot of flexibility in their ability to make extensions. Most of all they aren't creating holes in the roster as they already have good players to fill those positions with Long, JFM/Obo, and Noteboom. They allowed guys like Suh, Sullivan and Saffold to walk replacing them with Gaines, Noteboom (this year) and Allen. They got younger and maybe even better. Sullivan was beginning to show his age (34) in his play. It's not surprising that he remains unsigned. While Saffold got his last big payday in TN (around $11M/yr)

These kinds of move reveal that the Ram FO is clearly operating under a plan to sustain their success. I don't see the Ram's not being an elite franchise for years to come.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
He knocks the Rams 2018 draft because they had enough talent that none of the 2018 rookies had to start a game. He claims the division is getting better and the Rams are getting worse, seattle is the only team in the division that might improve enough to push the Rams. The whiners still have an unproven injury prone QB and a HC that has a way of wearing out his welcome. Arizona is unproven and just because they improve doesnt make them a contender.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There isn't a team who has a better chance to be the next football dynasty than the Rams. From there who the F knows. But after we win the Super Bowl this year all that chatter is gonna get louder.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Next year they will clear a huge amount of cap space when just 3 players, i.e. Talib ($8M), Brockers ($10.7M) and Whitworth ($16.6M) are off the books. I didn't add in Peters ($9M) because I think they might re-sign him to a one year deal depending how he plays this year. This gives them a lot of flexibility in their ability to make extensions. Most of all they aren't creating holes in the roster as they already have good players to fill those positions with Long, JFM/Obo, and Noteboom. They allowed guys like Suh, Sullivan and Saffold to walk replacing them with Gaines, Noteboom (this year) and Allen. They got younger and maybe even better. Sullivan was beginning to show his age (34) in his play. It's not surprising that he remains unsigned. While Saffold got his last big payday in TN (around $11M/yr)

These kinds of move reveal that the Ram FO is clearly operating under a plan to sustain their success. I don't see the Ram's not being an elite franchise for years to come.

I do think that depending on how they play that there's a chance they resign Talib instead of Peters. If they both play well, Talib will be cheaper and likely can be signed to a one or two year contract. If Peters plays well he'd need to be franchised to stay here. I agree that Brockers is likely gone, and Whitworth likely retires. He considered doing so this offseason.

While I haven't agreed with every move they've made, the Rams FO does have a plan. They also clearly prefer picking multiple players in lower rounds who fit the system well, than going for one non-superstar type player earlier.

It's a tightrope the Rams are walking, but so far they seem to be doing a good job of it. Barring a bargain to fill an unexpected hole, I expect them to have all their picks in 2020, plus a couple of comp picks, and should get a couple of impactful players. The 2018 draft didn't have much immediate impact, but that was substantially because they only had later picks and had a solid roster for the most part already. Having 9 picks before moving around in 2020 should make it easier to fill holes while getting immediate impact players. As it is, it's not unreasonable to expect 4 players from the 2019 draft to make an impact this season, possibly more, but I would be very surprised if at least 3 weren't important players for the Rams this season, with several others being developed to be important in 2020.

Ram65

Legend
They have yet to draft a player in the first round in the McVay era. The Rams found success in the 2017 class but fell apart with their 2018 draft class they ranked last in the NFL for what they came away with. Zero starts from any of their rookies last season and very little playing time at all from the 11 players they selected. And even this recent draft was just depth over trying to fill holes on the team.

You have to count Cooks as a draft pick. So that's one starter there. This year Noteboom, Allen and Kiser will be starters. JFM and SJD will be at least rotational players. Obo, Demby, Young, Howard and Lawler could all be contributors that make the roster along with some UDFAs like Hodges. Drafts like this can help overcome having to pay other players higher cap hits.

This years draft will have contributors right away that will be future great starters.

Realistically with the contracts, they have in place and the young talent that will likely be going away, we should expect them to be done in 2-3 years.

The Los Angeles Rams are a cautionary tale of a team that with a win-now mindset and overworking their star players will end a probable dynasty before it even starts. It’s unfortunate to see, but it’s always great while it lasted.

Win now and still have a good chance to win later is more likely. That's for a franchise that was losing year in and year out . The Rams have managed to turn around the entire franchise with a new winning culture that will continue for many years.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I think what they’re doing can be sustainable, Talib wanted to play for Phillips, Weddle and Matthews wanted to come as soon as they were released. These old guys can help mentor the rookies who are taking their jobs. Look at all the young guys ready to play a lot this year: Boom, Allen, Kiser, Obo, JFM. Even when Goff gets paid many of these guys are on rookie deals so I don’t see a talent vacuum.
All that being said , I think the dynasty thing ends with pats. Dynasties are all about winning it all, the Cowboys, niners and Pats were dynasties, multiple titles won

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So you don't feel the Rams are capable of multiple Super Bowl wins? I disagree, though perhaps they do not win 6 but I see a few in their future and more importantly I see a team setting themselves up to be perennial contenders for a long long time.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Have to win one before I can think about a second. Thought we were a dynasty in the making in the GSOT days. It fell apart so quickly.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
How Long do the Los Angeles Rams have left?

giphy.gif

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I hope that person does not get paid for writing, because that was just awful. I swear the members of this forum are better "journalists" than most of the shit writers I see on the interwebz.

Flint

Pro Bowler
So you don't feel the Rams are capable of multiple Super Bowl wins? I disagree, though perhaps they do not win 6 but I see a few in their future and more importantly I see a team setting themselves up to be perennial contenders for a long long time.

Seattle is the only team in the past 10 years to go to multiple SB’s in the same 2-3 year window from the nfc. So the same team is not even getting to the game much less win it. Yes, I think the rams can win a title but winning multiples is a tall order.
On the other hand maybe this is the time, Brady, Brees, Rogers, Ben, these guys are going to start transitioning out of the league at some point, maybe a team like the Rams can make a run.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Signing Wilson makes the Hags better? Rams are done in 2-3 years? :jerkoff:

He also mentioned QB's that signed the biggest deal in the league at the time did not make the playoffs the first year of the deal. Wilson just signed a big contract. Kinda contradicted himself there.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Personally I posted this because I thought you guys could use a good laugh during this slack time. I hate this time of year. I used to take all my vacations during this time. Now that I'm on a permanent vacation it's boring.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
It's my impression that Snead seems to be matching and rising to the level of McVay's intensity. It's clear there's a lot of forward-thinking going on. I'm optimistic.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They can't write story without diminishing Jared Goff. Fuck 'em.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
In the NFC I'd put the Eagles over anyone else. They just won one two years ago and still have a really good team now.

AFC it has to be KC, IND, or CLE. Pats aren't included because they pretty much are the standard right now and that's not the subject. Ravens are the dark horse.

NO and LAC have old QB's that wont be around much longer.

(I'm being polite. Everyone knows its KC.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x6tiK8xGLMM
)

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the NFC I'd put the Eagles over anyone else. They just won one two years ago and still have a really good team now.

AFC it has to be KC, IND, or CLE. Pats aren't included because they pretty much are the standard right now and that's not the subject. Ravens are the dark horse.

NO and LAC have old QB's that wont be around much longer.

(I'm being polite. Everyone knows its KC.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x6tiK8xGLMM
)

I don't think so as far as the Iggles. They have a good QB who can't stay healthy, and his style of play will lead to more injuries, imo. KC has a really good QB, but they are bleeding elite players.

Rams are the Ones.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I don't think so as far as the Iggles. They have a good QB who can't stay healthy, and his style of play will lead to more injuries, imo. KC has a really good QB, but they are bleeding elite players.

Rams are the Ones.

If the KC D can go from 31 to 15 and stay there then I think its KC. I think Mahomes will always be able to improvise points.

Rams offense seems to run around Gurley. When the Rams RB's get shut down Goff seems like a different QB. I'm curious is McVay can write a new script because I think the NFL might be catching up.