Am I the only one who isn't worried?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I get it, whether your team has the financial means or not, the fan in all of us secretly wants a splash move every year. But luckily my emotions didn't get the best of me today, and I was able to step back and view the Rams plans from an objective standpoint. Every move they've made this offseason were predictable and necessary. Fish was able to admit his mistakes by making tough fires and cuts. Trading in GW for Walton is a no-brainer. Cutting Finny & Dahl made sense. Letting oft injured Roger walk for $8M per was rational. Would it be nice to have Verner or Byrd? Sure. But fans need to take a step back and look big picture.

Some fans are reacting to our roster as of today (3/11/14) as if were our opening day roster for week 1. There are many more days of FA and the draft will be where the RAMS are making the bigger splashes in the league.

I get it. Our OL as of right now has two older guys recovering from injury and a RT in his contract year. Would it have been nice to add Beadles, Schwartz, or Asamoah? Sure. But I think we HAVE to have faith in Fish and Snead to find quality players in the draft. If anything this is an indication that we will go OL early and often in the draft. I think our chances of drafting Matthews/Robinson vs others shot up from about 60/40 to about 75/25 after today. And while I don't mind Williams & Smith, they aren't starting material. I can see us adding an OG in rounds 1-3 to be an immediate starter at one of the guards. Yankey & Jackson make a lot of sense.

And who really thought the Rams would pay out their ass for a 27 year-old (going on 28) FS with knee issues over 6 years. We got our big splashes last year in Cook & Long, if you continue to pile the big splashes year after year you end up like Dallas or NO, having to cut half of your team just to get some cap. Demoff has carefully designed our cap for future years so that we can resign OUR OWN players instead of adding through FA. Remember the BEST players never hit FA. Quinn, Brock, Jenks, Tru, & Barksdale all have their deals ending soon.

I get the argument that you do want SOME vet presences on your team, otherwise it will look like a pop warner game out there. And although we will likely be the youngest team in the NFL again this year, our core is going into year 3, 4, 5, and beyond. I'm sure we'll add some vets in the secondary and possibly a DT. Likely some OL depth and other help on O.

But I get their philosophy don't overpay for guys in FA that have question marks or don't fit your scheme. Instead they choose to address those needs through the draft. Matthews/Robinson have the versatility of Roger (to play OT & OG), but come at a fraction of the cost, no extensive injury histories, and are younger. The same could go for say Verrett who, while I'm not comparing him to Verner could round out our top 3 CBs making about 1/6 of what Verner is making. I'm also not sure if Verner is a natural fit for our scheme.

Anyways I'm just rambling. See if you can make any sense of my tangent...

Nope, you aren't alone. I don't give a shit about making headlines in March. I care even less than shit about being a FA winner.

Free Agency...overrated as fuck.

A55VA6

Legend
Not worried, just a bit frustrated. I'll let the FA process finish before I speak my mind. I trust Fisher and Snead, just hope we sign SOMEBODY.

nighttrain

Legend
I agree . It's nice to see the Rams in a position where desperation plays a big role in decisions. The Rams have a young and talented core and most needs can be filled in this years draft. Lets keep our talented players and pay them and let the other teams overpay for todays free agents. Go Rams
I've seen plenty of players start who weren't first round choices make it and start, Saffold for instance was drafted in 2nd round as a right tackle, then beat out Smith for left spot, graded out pretty good in first year i thot.
train

nighttrain

Legend
Absolutely. Snisher did say that they don't think the team has any holes. And offensive line (guard in particular) is the easiest for a rookie to make a successful impact. Experience is the biggest key for the team and with the new draft picks and young players, they'll all grow together into winners.
Agreed, guard by far the easiest line position to begin for a rook.
train

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Kroenke wants us to mimic the Patriots as far as how we are run.

Well no splash free agents, and trading down in the draft will help with that. We just need to hit on the picks and signings and we are gold.

Still plenty of guys for us to get. Daryl Smith can come in and be an upgrade over Dunbar.
There's still Nicks.
Safeties are still in play.

I'm not really worried. I just got my hopes up for one big signing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like what you said OP....

I just wanted Verner for 7-8 million per year, which was very realistic.

We didn't sign Verner because he's a zone CB that struggles in press coverage and can get beat over the top in man. Poor scheme fit for a team that plans to blitz and press.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We didn't sign Verner because he's a zone CB that struggles in press coverage and can get beat over the top in man. Poor scheme fit for a team that plans to blitz and press.

Strictly a zone guy, eh? That explains why he went for less than 10 million.