Am I the only one who isn't worried?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I get it, whether your team has the financial means or not, the fan in all of us secretly wants a splash move every year. But luckily my emotions didn't get the best of me today, and I was able to step back and view the Rams plans from an objective standpoint. Every move they've made this offseason were predictable and necessary. Fish was able to admit his mistakes by making tough fires and cuts. Trading in GW for Walton is a no-brainer. Cutting Finny & Dahl made sense. Letting oft injured Roger walk for $8M per was rational. Would it be nice to have Verner or Byrd? Sure. But fans need to take a step back and look big picture.

Some fans are reacting to our roster as of today (3/11/14) as if were our opening day roster for week 1. There are many more days of FA and the draft will be where the RAMS are making the bigger splashes in the league.

I get it. Our OL as of right now has two older guys recovering from injury and a RT in his contract year. Would it have been nice to add Beadles, Schwartz, or Asamoah? Sure. But I think we HAVE to have faith in Fish and Snead to find quality players in the draft. If anything this is an indication that we will go OL early and often in the draft. I think our chances of drafting Matthews/Robinson vs others shot up from about 60/40 to about 75/25 after today. And while I don't mind Williams & Smith, they aren't starting material. I can see us adding an OG in rounds 1-3 to be an immediate starter at one of the guards. Yankey & Jackson make a lot of sense.

And who really thought the Rams would pay out their ass for a 27 year-old (going on 28) FS with knee issues over 6 years. We got our big splashes last year in Cook & Long, if you continue to pile the big splashes year after year you end up like Dallas or NO, having to cut half of your team just to get some cap. Demoff has carefully designed our cap for future years so that we can resign OUR OWN players instead of adding through FA. Remember the BEST players never hit FA. Quinn, Brock, Jenks, Tru, & Barksdale all have their deals ending soon.

I get the argument that you do want SOME vet presences on your team, otherwise it will look like a pop warner game out there. And although we will likely be the youngest team in the NFL again this year, our core is going into year 3, 4, 5, and beyond. I'm sure we'll add some vets in the secondary and possibly a DT. Likely some OL depth and other help on O.

But I get their philosophy don't overpay for guys in FA that have question marks or don't fit your scheme. Instead they choose to address those needs through the draft. Matthews/Robinson have the versatility of Roger (to play OT & OG), but come at a fraction of the cost, no extensive injury histories, and are younger. The same could go for say Verrett who, while I'm not comparing him to Verner could round out our top 3 CBs making about 1/6 of what Verner is making. I'm also not sure if Verner is a natural fit for our scheme.

Anyways I'm just rambling. See if you can make any sense of my tangent...

xander47

Rookie
Absolutely. Snisher did say that they don't think the team has any holes. And offensive line (guard in particular) is the easiest for a rookie to make a successful impact. Experience is the biggest key for the team and with the new draft picks and young players, they'll all grow together into winners.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
We got 4-5 "splash" "big" free agents the last 2 years, how that turn out? Guys are to over priced the first day, especially with not a whole lot of cap space

crazyhorns

Rookie
I agree . It's nice to see the Rams in a position where desperation plays a big role in decisions. The Rams have a young and talented core and most needs can be filled in this years draft. Lets keep our talented players and pay them and let the other teams overpay for todays free agents. Go Rams

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Worried? No, I'm not worried.

But I am anxious to see what the plan is. I'm glad they didn't throw big dollars at some players that probably aren't worth it. But I am, say...uncomfortable with the lack of proven players on the line.

jjab360

Legend
There's still some options out there, Hakeem Nicks, DRC, Willie Colon, Eric Decker, Chris Clemons, etc. These guys may only be a small tier below their first day counterparts, but the difference in price range is astounding.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

verner going to the bucs tells me everything i need to know about him as a player. he's strictly a zone cb. hopefully this means willaims will bring back the press coverage jj and tru are better at than that horrid zone walton was running with last season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's still some options out there, Hakeem Nicks, DRC, Willie Colon, Eric Decker, Chris Clemons, etc. These guys may only be a small tier below their first day counterparts, but the difference in price range is astounding.

If DRC's market continues to suck, he'd actually be a guy that I'd consider. But that would really rely on what Williams thinks.

Regardless, no, I'm not worried. I'm glad the Rams sat out day 1 of FA. I want them to make smart signings for good value. Not overpay for players that will be cut 2-3 years later.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just another reason I can't WAAAAAIIIITTTT for the draft

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'm amazed at how much teams are overpaying right now.
Even Denver paid Talib $9M+.
Verner for $6M...Yeah I would of been ok with that but the rest is just crazy.

And there is a ton of talent still out there that can make a difference for us.
So I'm not disappointed. Like Sum said though, anxious to see what the plan is.
I was and still am way more curious for the draft than FA.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Its still early but I'm pretty sure the Broncos will make the playoffs. Rams, a playoff team coming out the nfcw in 2014? Yeah, no. Its still early, though

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I trust Snead and Fisher enough to not be worrying just yet.

But I think this draft is going to be big for the decision of whether or not to renew their contracts when it comes time for that. I have to think Jake Long's recovery timetable is going to be a huge key element in the Rams' strategy.

All I'll say is we have massive holes in our roster, they have plenty of time to fill them with playoff calibre players, but the clock has started on what should be the show me year.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I like what you said OP....

I just wanted Verner for 7-8 million per year, which was very realistic.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I'll be more worried if it turns out the Rams offered Verner and Schwartz comparable money to what they signed for and they just chose to go elsewhere.

Alan

Legend
rams24/7 not spazzing out like he should:
A bunch of stuff that makes no sense whatsoever except for this:
Anyways I'm just rambling.
Yes, you're the only one. All those other posters are lying through their teeth.
However, there is something I like about that expression you used. upload_2014-3-12_7-49-0.jpeg

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I'm not concerned about this.

I'd like to see the Rams become a team that will be perennial contenders (obviously) and if it takes an extra couple of years to reach that stage by building through the draft (rather than paying through the nose for veterans with over-inflated views of their value - Saffold's contract with Oakland ffs!!!) then I'm happy with that. I know Rams fans are desperate for success but the current regime weren't responsible for the past decade of incompetence. Give them time and they'll get us there and hopefully keep us there

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Why worry, nothing worrying can change.

I'm sort of glad we didn't put $8 million a year on the line for a guy as injury prone as Danny A, I wish Saffold had signed for what we offered , but we offered a smart contract, if we have to be stupid to soothe peoples anxiety,it's not the team I worry about it's the fans.

We have a super star in Robert Quinn who is going to be dictating stupid money we have to plan to keep, we have a QB we have to plan to keep, we can't marry ourselves to stupid contracts for people their own teams won't be stupid for.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Isn't September still almost half a year from now. We still have a long way to go before we know the names of all the players who will make up our 53.

I liked a few of the FA guards who signed elsewhere yesterday, but not much else. Some years have awesome FAs available, some don't. Drafts are the same way,,, and according to the so called experts this year's draft is kick ass.

We're going to sign some FAs before the season,,, that's STILL going to happen. Our Rams will be better than they were a year ago. Improvement IS coming.