All you blaming the refs on our loss

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fancents86

Starter
Do me a favor, go watch the redskins game from 2012 when the replacement refs were in place. We were denied first downs, touchdowns, etc. hell I think we were down by almost 30 points in the 3rd qtr. But we came back and won. A tough team finds a way to win, a soft team lets the momentum get the best of them. We are a weak team. stop blaming the refs for one bad call and saying they lost the game for us. San Fran had them too and they still prevailed.

LooNaTik83

Out of observation from a logical human being. I did notice the tables turned from the 49ers making penalties to the Rams making penalties. It didn't seem consistent throughout this game. As if the Ref would say well we can call penalties on the 49ers for the first the half and Rams on the second. I am talking major penalties.

fancents86

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The niners were out of synch the first half, which would explain the penalties. We imploded the 2nd half, which would explain the penalties. Niners adjusted and got in a groove, we never adjusted. Which IMO leads to crappy playing.

LooNaTik83

I would of liked thee same amount of calls on both teams in the same half, but it didn't seem that way. Like lets just keep it simple, and move forward.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'm not blaming the refs on tonights loss, but they sure as hell didn't do a good job. The Rams have got the worse end of all the calls this season, and it doesn't appear to be getting better.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
First of all, telling folks what to feel or think is bad form.

And perhaps your example makes our point. The refereeing going on this season in particular... and NOT just with respect to our Rams... has been GROSSLY suspicious.

Jerry Jones has the head of officiating in his party bus with chicks and booze and we're supposed to think that Dallas' 5-1 start is totally merit based when their OL doesn't get called for holds that they used to get called? Now, all of a sudden, that OL is just dominant? Well, I'd give them good, but dominant? No. I see tons of holds going UNCALLED. Which allows DeMarco Murray to put up numbers that rival Jim freakin' Brown.

This whole season is playing out like a WWE script. Even the damn games... too many "biggest comebacks ever" and all that nonsense. It's like the NFL doesn't realize that we're watching in HD.

Also, in a close contest, it only takes a few calls at the right time to radically shift a game. It's called momentum and it's HUGE. You know this as do we all.

The Jared Cook phantom Offensive PI call was HORRIBLE. That should have allowed the Rams in FG position to at least go up 17-3 or maybe even 21-3. Who knows if that 80yd play even happens?

GREAT teams may overcome the officiating playing super craptastic teams. Like Denver over the Jets. The Refs tried like hell to give that game to the Jets. I watched that game and, man, if there was a way to just put points on the board, the Refs would have just flagged Denver and put points on the board for the Jets. But the Jets were SO inept that Denver STILL won.

So, Denver being a GREAT team playing a completely inept team like the Jets...yes. They can overcome the Refs.

But, even the Seahawks couldn't overcome the Refs... AT HOME. Against a Dallas team that nearly lost to...US. I mean, I've NEVER seen Richard Sherman so ticky-tacked in my life. They've never called a game like that against him... and certainly not at home. So, it's just coincidence, now? I don't buy it.

Wouldn't it just be better if the game were called straight up? Legit? No home cookin'? No phantom calls? No obvious non-calls? Just legit calls? Wouldn't THAT be better?

Cuz that's ALL I've ever wanted. If the Rams lose fair and square, then I can focus on the Rams. But what team can beat two opponents on the field at the same time???

Simba

Rookie
I have just seen a lot of time when we played that the same action is called foul when we play in offense and when we play in defense.How it's possible? The Cook's touch is the same that Mc.Donald contact.Why the first one is offensive passing and the second defensive?I am tired on this refrs ... Last years with the whiners, the same situation ...

fancents86

Starter
I'm not telling anyone what to feel or think. I made an observation and I put it on the forum. People cry about penalties and I pointed out a game in which the penalties wee completly stacked against us yet we still played hard and won. Is the game rigged? Who knows. There is no proof. Why would the nfl want the jets to win over the broncos when I guarantee you they make more money of a winning broncos team than a winning jets team. Why would they want the rams to keep losing? What's in it for them? It's all speculation. I'm stating facts. The niners are right behind us in penalties, yet they still win. The 2012 Ravens were just like us when it came to penalties, maybe worse, yet they still made it to the playoffs. The penalties do suck, but was it really the unfair penalties or our bone headed moves that caused the loss?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's great that we fought back but this team just doesn't seem mentally strong and SF is a far better team than Washington was.

However, the refs deserve the blame. If that play stood as it should, we go into halftime up 17-3 or 21-3. I don't see the 49ers recovering and I don't see the Rams imploding the way they did.

That was a suspicious call that changed the game.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I'm not telling anyone what to feel or think. I made an observation and I put it on the forum. People cry about penalties and I pointed out a game in which the penalties wee completly stacked against us yet we still played hard and won. Is the game rigged? Who knows. There is no proof. Why would the nfl want the jets to win over the broncos when I guarantee you they make more money of a winning broncos team than a winning jets team. Why would they want the rams to keep losing? What's in it for them? It's all speculation. I'm stating facts. The niners are right behind us in penalties, yet they still win. The 2012 Ravens were just like us when it came to penalties, maybe worse, yet they still made it to the playoffs. The penalties do suck, but was it really the unfair penalties or our bone headed moves that caused the loss?
What's this?
Do me a favor, go watch the redskins game from 2012 when the replacement refs were in place. We were denied first downs, touchdowns, etc. hell I think we were down by almost 30 points in the 3rd qtr. But we came back and won. A tough team finds a way to win, a soft team lets the momentum get the best of them. We are a weak team. stop blaming the refs for one bad call and saying they lost the game for us. San Fran had them too and they still prevailed.

fancents86

Starter
That's great that we fought back but this team just doesn't seem mentally strong and SF is a far better team than Washington was.

However, the refs deserve the blame. If that play stood as it should, we go into halftime up 17-3 or 21-3. I don't see the 49ers recovering and I don't see the Rams imploding the way they did.

That was a suspicious call that changed the game.
Ok, and if JJ got caught pulling, I believe it was crabtree's sleeve, which was extremely obvious, they probably would have added to their lead a lot sooner. The fact that it seems this team is effected by one wrong call so much that it turns the game into a complete 180 makes me blame the character of the team.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
The question isn't just penalties, it's WHICH penalties. The Cook OPI was a first down that put the Rams in FG range late in the first half and would have sealed a 17-3 or even a 21-3 halftime lead. Instead, we punt and they gash us for an 80 yard TD.

It was a HUGE turn of events. And that's the point. That completely wrong call, which everyone even on the broadcast team called both wrong and game-changing, changed the complexion of the game. Instead of the Rams having a commanding lead going into the half with the 9ers doubting themselves, they went into the half only down 4 and feeling like they just needed to get back to 9er ball and everything would be all right. That one quick turn around allowed to settle down.

it was potentially a 14 point swing and totally changed the game because if the 9ers are down 21-3, they have to throw more, which means maybe the Rams can dial up the pass rush more. Who knows what happens then? We sure don't because the damn refs called fouls that didn't happen and totally changed the outcome of the game.

As for crying about penalties, I don't see that. I can only speak for myself, but I only want fair. If we go 0-16, but lose fair and square, I might have plenty to say about our team, but I won't be complaining about the Refereeing (btw, they should have called Janoris Jenkins for a PI on Crabtree, but the game was pretty much over at that point, so I guess the Refs just let it go. I would rather they called it because... it was a foul. Call it legit and let the chips fall where they may. I'd rather be blown out legit than lose like this...wondering what the hell could have been if the game WERE legit. And this game just...was NOT. The Cook OPI wasn't the only illegitimate call, either, to really damage the Rams at a really inopportune time.

Point is that all penalties aren't created equal. A false start on 1-10 isn't the same as a holding on 3-4 making it 3-14. Massive difference.

And really, must we look any further than Robert Quinn having ZERO sacks in 5 games? Does anyone think he's really not been held??? And if those calls were called, wouldn't that affect the game?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, and if JJ got caught pulling, I believe it was crabtree's sleeve, which was extremely obvious, they probably would have added to their lead a lot sooner. The fact that it seems this team is effected by one wrong call so much that it turns the game into a complete 180 makes me blame the character of the team.

Jenkins's missed PI came well after the game had gone the 49ers direction. It wasn't a momentum swing. The 49ers had a comfortable lead.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And really, must we look any further than Robert Quinn having ZERO sacks in 5 games? Does anyone think he's really not been held??? And if those calls were called, wouldn't that affect the game?

You want irony? Joe Staley consistently grabbed Quinn by the collar and dragged him to the ground when he tried to turn the corner. Consistently did it. Either that or he'd get his hands up into his neck or face. Nothing. Not a single call. The refs, somehow, managed to call Quinn for holding Staley, though.

That's irony. Staley engaged Quinn as a blocker and then tried to spin away(he was considered a TE on the play) after Quinn latched on to counter his block and got a penalty called in his favor. That's a bad call. And yet the refs were oblivious to holding every time Quinn rushed the passer.

The refs were oblivious to holding on the same play that they called Quinn for holding on when the 49ers OL grabbed Donald from behind to keep him from sacking Kaepernick because Donald beat him off the snap. This was in the center of the line right in front of the QB. There was no question if the ref saw it. There was no question if it was holding. Yet, that also went uncalled.

It's one of those things that's impossible to swallow. Like Langford being tackled to the ground on the Dez Bryant TD.

fancents86

Starter
Jenkins's missed PI came well after the game had gone the 49ers direction. It wasn't a momentum swing. The 49ers had a comfortable lead.
So did we. So why was ours so detrimental but they kept on playing without a hitch? That's what I'm saying. Was the pi call on cook bs, yes it was, but that does not make up for 3 qtrs of crappy playing. We got out coached and out played, one penalty that early in a game should not effect the outcome.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So did we. So why was ours so detrimental but they kept on playing without a hitch? That's what I'm saying. Was the pi call on cook bs, yes it was, but that does not make up for 3 qtrs of crappy playing. We got out coached and out played, one penalty that early in a game should not effect the outcome.

Because our team isn't mentally strong AND our penalty didn't come in the 4th quarter with a comfortable lead.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

I'm just going to go to bed with this: if you don't know or refuse to acknowledge the difference in penalties, when they happen and which ones are called and why that makes a difference, then this isn't a conversation. This is just you trying to TELL a bunch of really knowledgeable football people to get stuffed.

I'm sorry, but I've been watching football since the early-mid 70s and I've NEVER seen anything like this and I reserve the right to point that out using my years of experience watching this game. I reserve the right to respectfully disagree with you and to emphatically state my case using actual evidence.

Now, if you wish to engage in a dialogue and counter that with something beyond vague assertions like "well, they had penalties and they overcame it" which completely ignores the time, type, frequency (or lack thereof) and context of the penalties, then great. That's what football forums are all about.

But short of that, you're just repeating yourself and your first statement that the refereeing doesn't affect good teams which is empirically untrue no matter how much a person may wish to deny it.

I'll leave the rest of this in more capable hands. I'm off to bed.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The question isn't just penalties, it's WHICH penalties. The Cook OPI was a first down that put the Rams in FG range late in the first half and would have sealed a 17-3 or even a 21-3 halftime lead. Instead, we punt and they gash us for an 80 yard TD.

It was a HUGE turn of events. And that's the point. That completely wrong call, which everyone even on the broadcast team called both wrong and game-changing, changed the complexion of the game. Instead of the Rams having a commanding lead going into the half with the 9ers doubting themselves, they went into the half only down 4 and feeling like they just needed to get back to 9er ball and everything would be all right. That one quick turn around allowed to settle down.

it was potentially a 14 point swing and totally changed the game because if the 9ers are down 21-3, they have to throw more, which means maybe the Rams can dial up the pass rush more. Who knows what happens then? We sure don't because the damn refs called fouls that didn't happen and totally changed the outcome of the game.

As for crying about penalties, I don't see that. I can only speak for myself, but I only want fair. If we go 0-16, but lose fair and square, I might have plenty to say about our team, but I won't be complaining about the Refereeing (btw, they should have called Janoris Jenkins for a PI on Crabtree, but the game was pretty much over at that point, so I guess the Refs just let it go. I would rather they called it because... it was a foul. Call it legit and let the chips fall where they may. I'd rather be blown out legit than lose like this...wondering what the hell could have been if the game WERE legit. And this game just...was NOT. The Cook OPI wasn't the only illegitimate call, either, to really damage the Rams at a really inopportune time.

Point is that all penalties aren't created equal. A false start on 1-10 isn't the same as a holding on 3-4 making it 3-14. Massive difference.

+1

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
You want irony? Joe Staley consistently grabbed Quinn by the collar and dragged him to the ground when he tried to turn the corner. Consistently did it. Either that or he'd get his hands up into his neck or face. Nothing. Not a single call. The refs, somehow, managed to call Quinn for holding Staley, though.

That's irony. Staley engaged Quinn as a blocker and then tried to spin away(he was considered a TE on the play) after Quinn latched on to counter his block and got a penalty called in his favor. That's a bad call. And yet the refs were oblivious to holding every time Quinn rushed the passer.

The refs were oblivious to holding on the same play that they called Quinn for holding on when the 49ers OL grabbed Donald from behind to keep him from sacking Kaepernick because Donald beat him off the snap. This was in the center of the line right in front of the QB. There was no question if the ref saw it. There was no question if it was holding. Yet, that also went uncalled.

It's one of those things that's impossible to swallow. Like Langford being tackled to the ground on the Dez Bryant TD.
So, it's one thing if these calls, or non-calls, by the refs were random or inconsistent. But we're all clearly seeing multiple referee teams behaving similarly toward the Rams irrespective of what team the Rams are playing. That's called a pattern. It's called a bias. What we haven't done yet is quantify the bias, but to argue that there is no ref bias against the Rams defies logic.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
But that's not what happened. Jenkins horrible play was the one that rocked the team.