All-Time Rams Team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Who would you roll with on your 53? Here's mine, but I'm very interested in a debate as I don't have extensive knowledge of Rams personnel outside the 90s.

OFFENSE

QB: Kurt Warner.

Kurt is the unanimous #1 I think we can all agree, but some of you more "mature" folks who had the opportunity of watching the Rams in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s help me out. The other QBs I'm considering are Norm Van Brocklin, Bob Waterfield, Roman Gabriel, Vince Ferragamo, Jim Everett, and Marc Bulger. I've seen snippets of some of the older guys, but those of you who had the fortune of watching all or most would be able to shed better light with less bias on these QBs.

RB: 1) Eric Dickerson, 2) Marshall Faulk, 3) Steven Jackson

Most if not all would agree with this top 3, however some may reorder it. ED is the home run hitter who gets the bulk of the 1st and 2nd down carries. Faulk backs up ED on 1st and 2nd downs and is the top 3rd down back on the depth chart. SJ backs up ED and Marshall and is 2nd string 3rd down back. SJ could possibly get in work at FB and carry on short distance and goal line situations. If additional backs make the team I'd consider "Deacon" Dan Towler, Lawrence McCutcheon, and Jerome Bettis. Robert Holcombe and Madison Hedgecock get consideration for TRUE FB.

WR: 1) Isaac Bruce, 2) Torry Holt, Henry Ellard, Elroy "Crazylegs" Hirsch, Tom Fears, Jack Snow, Az-Zahir Hakim

Those are my guys, however someone may have to be relegated to the practice squad :snicker:. I KNOW! Too much talent. Other considerations include Willie "Flipper" Anderson, Kevin Curtis, and Danny Amendola. All I know is I'm firm with my top 2. Ike and Biggame are flankers, but I'm unsure who I'd start in the slot.

TE: Jared Cook, Roland Williams, Ernie Conwell

This is really the one where I'm most open to suggestions. If you asked me I couldn't name a great Rams TE pre-dating the GSOT. But from the decent amount I do know about Rams history, it doesn't seem like its our strongest position historically. I'd go with the athleticism of Cookie; his straight-line speed up the seams kills. Imagine him in the GSOT. Williams and Conwell played significant roles in the GSOT. I'd even throw in Randy McMichael, Danny Fells, Lance Kendricks, and Brandon Manumaleuna as contenders. Kendricks and Manumaleuna would battle out for blocking TE.

OT: LT Orlando Pace, RT Jackie Slater, Greg Robinson (too soon?:snicker:)

There's no question who the top 2 tackles are, but I give Big O the slight edge to start at LT. Slater backs up Pace. Greg Robinson is the swing tackle, but who knows how soon he pushes Pace and Slater for playing time ;). Other wild cards are Rodger Saffold and Kyle Turley (2003).

OG: Tom Mack, Adam Timmerman, Tom Nutten, Rodger Saffold

This is another one where historical context may help from my elders ;). There's little doubt that HOFer Mack is a starter, but I couldn't even tell you if he started at LG or RG. Timmerman was very good in the GSOT as was Nutten.

C: Andy McCollum, Mike Gruttadauria, ???

Again, I need help guys. McCollum was pretty good in the early 2000s for us and was 1/2 of the doughnut bros. And don't say Jason Brown or Scott Wells.

3-4 DEFENSE:

DE: Deacon Jones, Jack Youngblood, Robert Quinn, Kevin Carter

I think most will agree with my top 4, but may reorder it. I'm running a 3-4 scheme so that we can get the maximum amount of pass rushing talent on the field. Some DEs may switch to OLB and some OLB may switch to DE, we may even alternate between 3-4 and 4-3.

OLB: Kevin Greene, Leonard Little, Chris Long, Will Witherspoon (first tour w/Rams), Pisa Tinoisamoa

We trot out Greene, LL, and Long as rush LBs in the 3-4 but all 3 have familiarity with standing up and have the athleticism to cover if needed. In a base 4-3 I like Spoon as one of my starters. Pisa is a candidate for the other spot. I'm also considering Todd Collins, Tommy Polley, and Alec Ogletree.

DT: Merlin Olsen, D'Marco Farr, Rosie Grier, Ryan Pickett, Aaron Donald (too soon?:snicker:)

Merlin Olsen is unanimous but the other spot is a toss up. If we run a 3-4 I'm not sure if Olsen plays NT.

MLB:

London Fletcher, James Laurinaitis

One of the biggest front office mistakes in franchise history. In our perfect All-time Rams team, Fletcher doesn't get away. James is a very solid backup.

CB: 1) Dick "Night Train" Lane, 2) Aeneas Williams, Dre Bly, Ron Bartell, Bradley Fletcher

I'm open to suggestions at CB but 1 and 2 I feel are pretty firm. Aeneas played at a high enough level at CB before moving to FS to win the 2nd starting spot on the outside.

FS: Oshiomogho Atogwe

Idk who else to put in there, but OJ led the NFL for about 5 years in turnovers and had several double-digit turnover seasons. Ball hawk.

SS: TJ McDonald, Adam Archuleta

Idk on this one too, not many great SS since I started watching the Rams. Either that or my brain is fried after a long day. TJ could very well be the greatest if he continues what he's doing in GW's D.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K: Jeff "Money" Wilkins, Greg Zuerlein

If you need a money kick in crunch time, trot out Wilky. If you need distance: GZ. If you need to recover an onside kick WILKY. Man was he good at kicking onside kicks.

P: Johnny Hekker, Donnie Jones

Both are great punters who can boom it, but I'll take the punter who can throw TDs.

LS: Chris Massey, Jake McQuaide

From an article in 2010: "In 8½ seasons, Massey has clean snaps on 964 of 965 attempts (99.9 percent)." Dude was money. McQuaide, Massey's successor has been just as money, but has yet to reach Massey's longevity.

KR: Tony Horne

The GSOT was all about offensive TDs, Tony Horne scored 4 KR TDs from 1998-2000, including 2 in 1999 leading the NFL in return average (29.7).

PR: Dre Bly, Danny Amendola, Dante Hall

Toss up if you ask me.

That's my list. Fire away!

jjab360

Legend
It's funny how for all the shtick Jared Cook gets, he might actually be the best TE in Rams history. He's really improved his blocking this year and off the top of my head I can't really remember any memorable drops so far. Really athletic, almost uncoverable by LBs and most Ss, it's about time we give the guy a break if you ask me.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah. He doesn't have great lateral speed but his straight line speed up the seams kills teams. I think Hill will be able to make more out of those opportunities than Davis

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Isaiah Robertson was the best Linebacker in Rams history.

At corner Jerry Grey and Leroy Irvin, Billy Waddy and Pat Thomas had some good years better than Fletcher and Bartell.

Your missing Nolan Cromwell and Dave Elmendorf too. Vince Newsome was also a good Safety, I would take any of them over AA.

Dennis Harrah has to be on the Oline list. There are more from that 80,s team but my memory doesn't work so good at 2 AM.

Flipper Anderson at WR Harold Jackson, Jack Snow.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I like your list. All great players.

I would probably try and slip good ol Pete Holohan in at TE. I always loved that guy.

On the OL the only modern player I would have is Pace at LT. All my other OL guys would come from the late 70's and 80's teams Mack, Harrah, Newberry, Pankey, Slater....

In the secondary I would have to think about Jerry Gray or Leroy Irvin at CB. Nolan Cromwell is another guy I might want back their and Toby Wright is another S I like.

I like your MLB picks. I would get Kevin Greene and Jack Reynolds in their too.

My KR is Ron Brown.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
At WR, I would go with the first five on your list, drop Hakim, add Harold Jackson, and reshuffle the roster to include Ricky Proehl. Anytime he came into a game, everyone knew the play was going to him and could do nothing to stop it.

At CB, Rod Perry and Pat Thomas were pretty effective in their day.

LT has to be Pace as the starter and I would back him up with Doug France.

My three QBs would be Warner, Waterfield, and Gabriel.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Great post man and hopefully this gets a lot of conversation. I like your list a lot but here's your debate; Faulk over Dickerson everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Boom.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
There are a number of guys I'd mention before Bartell and Fletcher... from the STL Days. Todd Lyght and Dexter McCLeon for sure. They had a very good secondary back in the day. Not the best safety the Rams ever had but I enjoyed watching Toby Wright.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0fLQ0qAz9k

Hard to believe that Todd Lyght only had one Pro Bowl.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
RICH SAUL at Center

rich-saul-death-.jpg

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
For Kicker I'm going to have to go with 3rd round pick, Steve McLaughlin.
Of all the terrible draft picks, I think that one irks me the most. He played half of one season and only made 50% of his kicks... he was perfect on PAT's though.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Having seen them all since 1951, I'll say you've done a very good job in your picks BUT...
QB: Kurt Warner.

Kurt is the unanimous #1 I think we can all agree, but some of you more "mature" folks who had the opportunity of watching the Rams in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s help me out. The other QBs I'm considering are Norm Van Brocklin, Bob Waterfield, Roman Gabriel, Vince Ferragamo, Jim Everett, and Marc Bulger. I've seen snippets of some of the older guys, but those of you who had the fortune of watching all or most would be able to shed better light with less bias on these QBs.
As far as the QB's go(from your selection) I'd put it Waterfield, Van Brocklin, Warner, Gabriel, Ferragamo, Everett, and Bulger ( I may have put someone else in the Bukger spot!) I'm sure we are missing some great old-timers in our posts!

MLB:

London Fletcher, James Laurinaitis
Jack (Hacksaw) Reynolds Hands down better than either one of them. No disrespect to LF or JL!

Isaiah Robertson was the best Linebacker in Rams history.
JMO, I would go with Reynolds before Robinson!

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah. He doesn't have great lateral speed but his straight line speed up the seams kills teams. I think Hill will be able to make more out of those opportunities than Davis
He is maddening to me because you can see the athletic ability....see the long TD vs. Arizona a week ago. But, he leaves plays on the field as well. For all of my bitching about Cook Id still rather him be on the team than not. When the passing O gets to the point teams have to pick their poison he will be dangerous.

fearsomefour

Legend
Like this 10 times if possible.
Pace/Harrah/Saul/Mack/Slater....forget about it. A line with 5 HOF level guys is tough to beat.
Bruce, Ellard, Holt, Snow with Faulk in the backfield behind that line?....would be something to behold.
Cromwell at a S spot.
Remember Pete Holohan at that TE/H back spot? He was a good receiver.
Good conversation.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I forgot about Saul. I remember when he passed (RIP) a few years back how so many fans/media alike recognized how great he was. A lot of people thought he was borderline HOF. That would be my pick.

No Henry Ellard?
He's on the list right behind Bruce and Torry

Like this 10 times if possible.
Pace/Harrah/Saul/Mack/Slater....forget about it. A line with 5 HOF level guys is tough to beat.
Bruce, Ellard, Holt, Snow with Faulk in the backfield behind that line?....would be something to behold.
Cromwell at a S spot.
Remember Pete Holohan at that TE/H back spot? He was a good receiver.
Good conversation.
Hard to argue with that OL. I agree there's 5 HOF caliber starters on there. I also admit, after plenty of you have reminded me, to put Nolan Cromwell on the list.