All-Time Rams Team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A few questions for you folks. Hirsch, Fears, Snow. How close were they in talent level? Was one clearly better than the other 2? And in regards to DT I know Olsen played DT, but on wikipedia it has Lundy and Grier also listed as DTs. Is that right? That would make Jones the only DE on the 4 man line.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
C Rich Saul----Ken Iman
G Duane Putnam---Dennis Harrah
G Tom Mack---Tom Newberry
T Jackie Slater-----Irv Pankey
T Orlando Pace-----Charlie Cowan
TE-------we don't have an all-time great
QB Kurt Warner-------Roman Gabriel or Norm Van Brocklin
RB Dickerson----------Tamk Younger
RB Faulk--------------Deacon Towler
SE Tom Fears-------------Ellard
FL Crazy Legs Hirsch------Bruce

DE Deacon Jones---Lamar Lundy
DE Jack Youngblood---Leonard Little
DT Merlin Olsen---
DT Larry Brooks---D'Marco Farr
MLB Hacksaw Reynolds--JLau
OLB Kenin Greene----Jack Pardee
OLB Isiah Robertson--Roman Phifer
CB Rod Perry---Clancy Williams
CB Pat thomas--Todd Lyght
S Eddie Meador--Dave Elmendord
S Nolan Cromwell---Bill Simpson

K Mike Landsford
P

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Who would you roll with on your 53? Here's mine, but I'm very interested in a debate as I don't have extensive knowledge of Rams personnel outside the 90s.

OFFENSE

QB: Kurt Warner.

Kurt is the unanimous #1 I think we can all agree, but some of you more "mature" folks who had the opportunity of watching the Rams in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s help me out. The other QBs I'm considering are Norm Van Brocklin, Bob Waterfield, Roman Gabriel, Vince Ferragamo, Jim Everett, and Marc Bulger. I've seen snippets of some of the older guys, but those of you who had the fortune of watching all or most would be able to shed better light with less bias on these QBs.

RB: 1) Eric Dickerson, 2) Marshall Faulk, 3) Steven Jackson

Most if not all would agree with this top 3, however some may reorder it. ED is the home run hitter who gets the bulk of the 1st and 2nd down carries. Faulk backs up ED on 1st and 2nd downs and is the top 3rd down back on the depth chart. SJ backs up ED and Marshall and is 2nd string 3rd down back. SJ could possibly get in work at FB and carry on short distance and goal line situations. If additional backs make the team I'd consider "Deacon" Dan Towler, Lawrence McCutcheon, and Jerome Bettis. Robert Holcombe and Madison Hedgecock get consideration for TRUE FB.

WR: 1) Isaac Bruce, 2) Torry Holt, Henry Ellard, Elroy "Crazylegs" Hirsch, Tom Fears, Jack Snow, Az-Zahir Hakim

Those are my guys, however someone may have to be relegated to the practice squad :snicker:. I KNOW! Too much talent. Other considerations include Willie "Flipper" Anderson, Kevin Curtis, and Danny Amendola. All I know is I'm firm with my top 2. Ike and Biggame are flankers, but I'm unsure who I'd start in the slot.

TE: Jared Cook, Roland Williams, Ernie Conwell

This is really the one where I'm most open to suggestions. If you asked me I couldn't name a great Rams TE pre-dating the GSOT. But from the decent amount I do know about Rams history, it doesn't seem like its our strongest position historically. I'd go with the athleticism of Cookie; his straight-line speed up the seams kills. Imagine him in the GSOT. Williams and Conwell played significant roles in the GSOT. I'd even throw in Randy McMichael, Danny Fells, Lance Kendricks, and Brandon Manumaleuna as contenders. Kendricks and Manumaleuna would battle out for blocking TE.

OT: LT Orlando Pace, RT Jackie Slater, Greg Robinson (too soon?:snicker:)

There's no question who the top 2 tackles are, but I give Big O the slight edge to start at LT. Slater backs up Pace. Greg Robinson is the swing tackle, but who knows how soon he pushes Pace and Slater for playing time ;). Other wild cards are Rodger Saffold and Kyle Turley (2003).

OG: Tom Mack, Adam Timmerman, Tom Nutten, Rodger Saffold

This is another one where historical context may help from my elders ;). There's little doubt that HOFer Mack is a starter, but I couldn't even tell you if he started at LG or RG. Timmerman was very good in the GSOT as was Nutten.

C: Andy McCollum, Mike Gruttadauria, ???

Again, I need help guys. McCollum was pretty good in the early 2000s for us and was 1/2 of the doughnut bros. And don't say Jason Brown or Scott Wells.

3-4 DEFENSE:

DE: Deacon Jones, Jack Youngblood, Robert Quinn, Kevin Carter

I think most will agree with my top 4, but may reorder it. I'm running a 3-4 scheme so that we can get the maximum amount of pass rushing talent on the field. Some DEs may switch to OLB and some OLB may switch to DE, we may even alternate between 3-4 and 4-3.

OLB: Kevin Greene, Leonard Little, Chris Long, Will Witherspoon (first tour w/Rams), Pisa Tinoisamoa

We trot out Greene, LL, and Long as rush LBs in the 3-4 but all 3 have familiarity with standing up and have the athleticism to cover if needed. In a base 4-3 I like Spoon as one of my starters. Pisa is a candidate for the other spot. I'm also considering Todd Collins, Tommy Polley, and Alec Ogletree.

DT: Merlin Olsen, D'Marco Farr, Rosie Grier, Ryan Pickett, Aaron Donald (too soon?:snicker:)

Merlin Olsen is unanimous but the other spot is a toss up. If we run a 3-4 I'm not sure if Olsen plays NT.

MLB:

London Fletcher, James Laurinaitis

One of the biggest front office mistakes in franchise history. In our perfect All-time Rams team, Fletcher doesn't get away. James is a very solid backup.

CB: 1) Dick "Night Train" Lane, 2) Aeneas Williams, Dre Bly, Ron Bartell, Bradley Fletcher

I'm open to suggestions at CB but 1 and 2 I feel are pretty firm. Aeneas played at a high enough level at CB before moving to FS to win the 2nd starting spot on the outside.

FS: Oshiomogho Atogwe

Idk who else to put in there, but OJ led the NFL for about 5 years in turnovers and had several double-digit turnover seasons. Ball hawk.

SS: TJ McDonald, Adam Archuleta

Idk on this one too, not many great SS since I started watching the Rams. Either that or my brain is fried after a long day. TJ could very well be the greatest if he continues what he's doing in GW's D.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K: Jeff "Money" Wilkins, Greg Zuerlein

If you need a money kick in crunch time, trot out Wilky. If you need distance: GZ. If you need to recover an onside kick WILKY. Man was he good at kicking onside kicks.

P: Johnny Hekker, Donnie Jones

Both are great punters who can boom it, but I'll take the punter who can throw TDs.

LS: Chris Massey, Jake McQuaide

From an article in 2010: "In 8½ seasons, Massey has clean snaps on 964 of 965 attempts (99.9 percent)." Dude was money. McQuaide, Massey's successor has been just as money, but has yet to reach Massey's longevity.

KR: Tony Horne

The GSOT was all about offensive TDs, Tony Horne scored 4 KR TDs from 1998-2000, including 2 in 1999 leading the NFL in return average (29.7).

PR: Dre Bly, Danny Amendola, Dante Hall

Toss up if you ask me.

That's my list. Fire away!

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
My upgrades:
Guard:
Kent Hill at 5 probowls (1979-1986); Dennis Harrah 6 probowls (7 all-pro) and TOm Newberry 2 pro bowls, would blow Adam Timmerman away I think.
FS: Bill Simpson or NOlan (All-world Cromwell.
Corner: Jerry Gray (4 pro bowls-1986 to 89), Pat Thomas, Rod Perry deserve merit.

I am sad for the lack of OLB's; we have 3 good ones in 40 years, the Steelers have 20...

Irish

Starter
Your offense is literally the 2001 GSOT and Dickerson spelling Marhsall Faulk.

The defense is where it gets really interesting

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Been blessed at Defensive End over the years....Quarterbacks, not so much! Really need to find one next year.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Been blessed at Defensive End over the years....Quarterbacks, not so much! Really need to find one next year.
Look at our LDE legacy. I cound Kevin Greene as a stong side pass rusher, a stand-up DE in a 3-4 and the Eagle we ran.
1961-72 Deacon Jones
1971-84 Jack Youngblood
1985-92 Kevin Greene
1995-00 Kevin Carter
1998-09 Leonard Little
2008-14 Chris Long

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I personally cant put Wilkins on any Greatest Rams lists. I dont mean to discredit what he did as a Ram, but I cant stomach that he was a 49er first

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Look at our LDE legacy. I cound Kevin Greene as a stong side pass rusher, a stand-up DE in a 3-4 and the Eagle we ran.
1961-72 Deacon Jones
1971-84 Jack Youngblood
1985-92 Kevin Greene
1995-00 Kevin Carter
1998-09 Leonard Little
2008-14 Chris Long

2011-.... Robert Quinn

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
2011-.... Robert Quinn
Yeah, but he's a RDE, our RDE legacy is good, but not as good as LDE

1959-68 Lamar Lundy
1968-72 Coy Bacon
1972-80 Fred Dryer
1978-89 reggie Doss
then some guys who were free agent guys, not part of Rams legacy
1998-2003 Grant Wistron
then a bunch of fair players
2011-2014 Robert quinn

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
C Rich Saul----Ken Iman

DT Merlin Olsen---

K Mike Landsford
P
A lotta old-school guys.

Yeah, but he's a RDE, our RDE legacy is good, but not as good as LDE

1959-68 Lamar Lundy
1968-72 Coy Bacon
1972-80 Fred Dryer
1978-89 reggie Doss
then some guys who were free agent guys, not part of Rams legacy
1998-2003 Grant Wistron
then a bunch of fair players
2011-2014 Robert quinn
My bad, I didn't see LDE, I just read DE. Yeah we have an incredible LDE legacy.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Its most appreciated and I'm not afraid of being educated!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
You gotta plug in Aneas Williams over Archuletta.

That's the big one I have, others I have are petty.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Aeneas didn't play strong though. He played free

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
C Rich Saul----Ken Iman

DT Merlin Olsen---

K Mike Landsford
P
Played in a charity golf tournament a few years back with Mike Lansford. Great guy.
He's had some knee issues from his playing days