All this talk about Goldson & Whitner....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Is Brian Randolph a day 1 starter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Got me thinking...yeah I do that sometimes...I really like the players we have that can play FS. TJ, Bryant, maybe Mo...Maybe Cody Davis...
But I really like this UDFA Brian Randolph....5 years experience...killed his pro-day....I'd start him as a rookie and keep it pushing.

What'cha think? Who's ready to start...I said START Brian Randolph at FS to keep the continuity of players in their set positions (TJ @ SS)....it would also put Mo Alexander on the bench.....

DickersonGurley

Naga...nagunnaposthereanymore
Name
Faulk
Gotta take it one day at a time....gonna have to give it all he's got and good lord willing....he's just blessed to be here, wants to leave it all on the field....

Yeah I like Randolph too. Plays so physical, everyone assumed he was not fast enough to play FS, then he ran a 4.4

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Over the last 3 or 4 months I have moved into the position that Mo Alexander needs to continue in the same post that he started & play so well late last season. Thus I voted NO but would have voted this way IF it had read....
Champ, I'm putting Bryant, Davis, or even TJ McDonald at FS before some ROOKIE.

As we have discussed before I hold deep safety Cody Davis in much higher regard that you. He has sat behind the Iron Man Rodney McLeod for 3 straight seasons. Cody is by far our fastest DB we have. Cody has also shown for 3 straight Ram training camps that he is very good in coming up with interceptions something missing for years from our secondary. With 2 of the 4 starting DB for the last four season departed an Gregg Williams DB who is fully experienced with his unique defense will sure make Gregg less concerned. Finally, Fisher just signed Cody here until 2018. That may not mean much but Fisher has 3 of his better DB's heading into UFA'cy in less than a year.

Bottom Line here I see TJ McDonald & Cody Davis fighting it out for the open deep safety post. Followed by CB Bryant.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
He better get the McLeod treatment.
Earn his spot starting with special teams, then eventually climb up the ladder from there.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Though you do exceptional work on the bootie thread, I'm going with the experience over the rookie.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think it will be a totally open competition at FS, unless we sign a big name guy. We must have loved Tennessee's pro day. They had several players have big numbers. IMO, and I played CB, on defense, that Safety is one of the hardest positions to evaluate in the NFL. One of the reasons, is that almost every team, plays their safeties differently, or ask them to do something, differently.

We ask ours to play the definition of the position name. He is our last line of defense, and we don't want anyone to get behind him, and he has to make every game saving tackle. We don't really ask them to try to make INT's. We ask them to make sure we break up the play first.

Our whole secondary competition should be extremely interesting in camp. I don't see why he can't be in the mix, by his numbers, size, and production. He's a good open field tackler, he's played SS, and FS, as well as Nickel in his college career, and has good ball skills. He does have the skills to stick, and could be a really good teams player. He reminds me a little of Darian Stewart.

Ram65

Legend
I don't know. He looks like a Fisher DB with good ball skills while laying the wood. Seems like he could play either FS or SS. Going to be a great camp battle.

A55VA6

Legend
No, I don't think so. But I will say this - I do like his game. Good tackler, and plays very aggressive. He's definitely a guy I could see making the team, but I wouldn't go as far as starting.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So who do you have starting at the SS Position?

Mo Alexander is who I would start @ strong safety. Mo is fully healthy un blemished by the NFL. Mo finished 7 or 8 games @ SS there last season & started 5 for the injured TJ. Mo is entering his 3rd season now & was trending up nicely in his play with each & every start last yr. Like I have said before he is a thicker stronger explosive, punishing tackler. Mo played a lot of LB'er before he became a Ram. I saw the beginnings of a sure ferocious tackler without the big highlight reel fly by hits of TJ.

Mo is not going anywhere any time soon at least for the next few seasons unlike TJ's upcoming pending free agency. Lets get Mo a full season of action in the box & I think he will produce BIG.

Putting big Mo deep will expose his current weaknesses. Mo has no experience in deep coverage other than late last season & most of that was not good. What I saw in Mo when he was playing deeper in the secondary is ....Mo 's has limitations now in his man coverage abilities. When Mo got unlucky & matched up with a slot WR, Mo looked very slow & was a serious handicap in that back end& teams knew it. Did I mention he has bad small hands & seems slow to react when the ball in the air. Mo did manage to get himself into into position often to make plays, sadly most of the time Mo did not deliver. TJ McDonald is a whole lot better at this time in taking better angles in the secondary too.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So who do you have starting at the SS Position?
I'm assuming Boni likes this guy:
maurice-alexander-of-the-st-louis-rams-in-action-during-a-preseason-picture-id453659824

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams are rumored to be signing Whitner. Not sure if anyone heard that yet?