"All teams deal with injuries"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RealRamsFan said:
So either disagree and say you too prefer a gunner over a explosive RB or agree and say Porter over Norwood isn't the best move for a struggling offense.

But to say its due to a hamstring is not totally true. Is he hurt now.....yea...but is that why he is inactive...no
You mean, like when I said this a page ago?

If Norwood had shown more than someone else, I'd like to think he'd be active in their place. All we can do is speculate. I'd rather see Norwood over Porter. I think everyone would like to see that.

That aside, how explosive do you think he is? He's coming off of season-ending surgery, showed zero in preseason, and has been sick and injuried so far this year. You're thinking of the Falcons Norwood who has the POTENTIAL to be explosive. I agree that it would be nice to throw him into the fire and see what happens. But, to be honest, I think Cadillac Williams has done way more than Norwood could ever hope to do in a backup RB capacity. Who knows, maybe he'll see the field soon. Can't do any worse than Porter. All I'm saying is, we don't know the whole story.

superfan24

Starter
9 CB's on IR. Just think about that for a second. Can't wait to watch this team next year with SPAGS at the helm.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Norwood is argubably the biggest individual disappointment this year. Perfect 3rd down back and can be a playmaker.

As for the rest of the year, IDK. I think they can beat Seattle @ least once, maybe a sweep. Def. Arizona. I can bet they'll back Jacked up meaning Steven Jacked up.

Cincy I thought was on the road, but no it's @ the Ed, so that's a tossup.

Pittsburgh is likely gonna be a loss, but who knows...they've been beat before.

That leaves SF. Beatable, sure. I think it'll be a split.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RealRamsFan said:
To have him inactive and have Porter active is poor personnel decisions.
Maybe. Maybe not. You have to be careful with statements like that. You're essentially giving yourself more credentials than the guys who actually make the decisions on an NFL team. We have no idea how one decision effects many. In today's conference, Spags said "hopefully we'll get him back (Norwood)." Maybe he'll be integrated into the game plan now (if he's healthy). Really, we have no idea why any of these decisions are being made, or what the rationale is. I just find it difficult to say to an established NFL coach, "Yeah, you're not making the right move there. My expertise in watching television tells me so." I mean, it sounds silly, doesn't it?

steferfootball

Starter
squeaky wheel said:
Angry Ram said:
I've done a complete 180 on this coaching staff. I looked back, saw who they played against, when the played against, and who were the players. They haven't done that bad.

Next year...man, next year....

Really? Browns couldn't score a TD and would have beaten our Rams with FGs if they didn't blow a chip shot FG with 2 min remaining. WTF is there to be proud about our coaching staff? Rams didn't force their will on the Browns. The Rams got stupid lucky. It's a W.....but it isn't progress.
Rams didn't score a TD and would have beaten the Cardinals with FGs if they didn't blow a FG with no time remaining.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ramhusker said:
bluecoconuts said:
If you check the injury report, Norwood has been listed as a hamstring injury for some time now. I think he originally tweaked it in the Giants game, but I might be wrong there..

The 49ers didn't really install a new offense, it's te same kind, and really it's very dialed back to help limit Smith's potential mistakes. He also has one of the better TE's in the game helping him out.

And Amendola started getting all the coverage last year. I think with a healthy Clayton, DX, and Lloyd on the team, Amendola would be getting a lot of passes thrown his way. Last week the Browns (who have a very good secondary, one of the best actually) had to cover Lloyd, and then kind of watch Gibson and keep Pettis contained. Only Lloyd was getting any type of separation on a consistent basis. Something Amendola is able to do, and Salas/Pettis is learning how. Clayton is healthy can do it, and Gibson... Well as much as I love him, I feel that what we see is what we'll get.

Amendola is a big part of this team, I expect Lloyd to resign, and I expect Clayton and Amendola and Salas and Pettis to start the year 100%. After that (DX, Gibson, etc) I don't know. Hell, maybe Clayton doesn't sign, but I won't be shocked to see him stick another year. I also expect the O-Line to play better, Kendricks and Uh-Oh to be healthy and ready to contribute, and the defense to get improved.

Needless to say, I expect the 2011 Rams to try hard, and play their best, and hopefully get a win anyway they can. I expect a healthy 2012 Rams team to light up defenses as Bradford throws for 300+ yards often, as they become a high flying, high scoring, hard hitting, stingy defensive team that people see on their schedule and go "Ah shyte, we have the Rams coming up..."

Agreed. Funny how we all used to think the WR position was a major weakness on this team.(Still is if we are talking staying healthy) Now, if the Rams are in a position to take Blackmon, do they pull that trigger? :uhh:

I think it depends on who's on the board. If there's someone like Matt Kalil, then he gets the call every time I think. If it's between Blackmon and a game changing DT, I might say go for the DT as well. It's going to depend on who is on the board and when we're drafting. It's so hard to say at this point, but I wouldn't be shocked to see the Rams try to build up that defense more with some youth.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Blackmon is the most overrated WR since Crabtree when stacked against other eligible prospects IMO. I dont want any part of him. Dude has serious ball control issues, OSU's top WR always puts up huge numbers, and quite frankly isnt that physically impressive(6-1 with a 40 in the 4.5 range) He will get way over drafted.

Alshon Jeffery and Micheal Floyd will be much better values.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
My 2 cents on our injury bug...

ALL teams in the NFL suffer due to injuries during every year. Injuries to vital positions like the colts are experiencing are more damaging than others,,, the same could be said when a team suffers a large number of injuries to any position during the same year. Overcoming the injury bug is the challenge that some do better than others.

Let's think about what Dick Vermeil had to say right after our prized FA QB Trent Green went down for the year during the pre-season... "We will put KW in there (the guy who was bagging groceries KW) AND WE WILL PLAY GOOD FOOTBALL". I know I didn't get the quote exactly right, but it's close enough. Coach Vermeil didn't say something like... Oh, this is really gonna be tough to overcome, or this makes things way more challenging now. He made no excuses, and clearly stated that the Rams would PLAY GOOD FOOTBALL. He demanded that in a sense.

Coach Parcells used to get reports from the trainers listing how much time each player spent in the training room. He would make it clear to his players during training camp that if he felt you were an injury prone player, or a player who may try and "milk" an injury,,, you were not going to last long on one of his teams. A caveman like way to motivate players is what I bet some of you are thinking,,, he's got SB jewelry last time I checked.

Bill B-Cheat hates even saying the word injury. The way he answers questions concerning injuries is brilliant if you ask me,,, he's been known to give totally inaccurate information on purpose concerning injuries (allegedly). His right hand man certainly isn't his trainer from listening to him avoid answers about player status.

All teams have injuries, and all teams have a certain acceptance level concerning them. I've mentioned this in another thread recently and I didn't see anyone respond to it, so I assume I may be completely alone in my thinking here, but I do not like the way Spags handles his injuries at any time during his time here with us. And I'm not saying that a HC shouldn't be concerned for his player's safety.

But...
I don't like how he gives way more details about a player's injury than you would her from most coaches (certainly way more than B-Cheat).

I don't like how he appears closer to the trainer Reggie than he does to some of his coaches. He definitely talks about how much time he spends with Reggie more than I hear him talking about time with coaches.

I believe he leaves the door open for lazy players to "milk" the injury system with his perceived public sensitivity to injuries. We've all been told that what you see in Spags when he is in front of the camera is the exact same Spags that exists behind the locker room doors. I'm not calling out any players (ala Martz vs Turley) here, but I'm speaking the truth when I say that some people are just fucking lazy, and will find the "easy" way to skate by because it's just in their fucking nature. From what I've seen from Spags, I have to believe that he is more susceptible to being taken advantage of by these kinds of players.

I get the impression that Spags is building up a case for him being given more time (another year) because of the injuries. I don't like that either.

Maybe I'm just archaic and loco in la cabeza in my thoughts here, but I feel better now that I got it out.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
libertadrocks said:
Blackmon is the most overrated WR since Crabtree when stacked against other eligible prospects IMO. I dont want any part of him. Dude has serious ball control issues, OSU's top WR always puts up huge numbers, and quite frankly isnt that physically impressive(6-1 with a 40 in the 4.5 range) He will get way over drafted.

Do you think Jeffery could fall a bit in the 1st round based on his decline in production this year? I dont think you can put that on him, I think it has to be a big issue with the QB play for SC, thats what I tend to see any time I watch them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
. We've all been told that what you see in Spags when he is in front of the camera is the exact same Spags that exists behind the locker room doors.

That's not what I heard. It really isn't. But that's just a minor point.

You're right that different injury situations affect teams differently. It should be widely accepted that a team that loses multiple starters, is going to have a difficult time recovering unless they have quality depth. This is the point I keep reiterating. The Rams don't have quality depth. They haven't been able to cultivate or sign quality depth since they got here. 2011 was the only time they could do it, really.

Should they be further along and playing better football? Sure. That's the goal for every team. I just can't point at one 'thing' and say, "Yeah, there it is. right there! THAT'S the problem." Some say it's coaching, some say it's the GM, some say it's the GM AND Coach, and some say it's the assistants, some say it's the OC.

Because there are so many theories (we had a poll about it), it's hard to say who's right and who's wrong. Bottom line, there are just different views on this. Some slanted, obviously, but still..... just theories.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
JdashSTL said:
libertadrocks said:

Do you think Jeffery could fall a bit in the 1st round based on his decline in production this year? I dont think you can put that on him, I think it has to be a big issue with the QB play for SC, thats what I tend to see any time I watch them.

I think he could fall a bit, not out of the first tho. If Floyd puts up a 40 time in the 4.5s or lower I expect him to leapfrog Jeffrey, so that would make him fall even further. Youre right tho, I think inconsistent QB play kills him.

Thats actually another points as to why Im not all that high on Blackmon's potential. I have heard talent evaluators say Weeden would be this years second best QB prospect if he wasnt already 28. Both Floyd and Jeffrey dont have the caliber of QB Blackmon has.

superfan24

Starter
X said:
. We've all been told that what you see in Spags when he is in front of the camera is the exact same Spags that exists behind the locker room doors.

You're right that different injury situations affect teams differently. It should be widely accepted that a team that loses multiple starters, is going to have a difficult time recovering unless they have quality depth. This is the point I keep reiterating. The Rams don't have quality depth. They haven't been able to cultivate or sign quality depth since they got here. 2011 was the only time they could do it, really.

Should they be further along and playing better football? Sure. That's the goal for every team. I just can't point at one 'thing' and say, "Yeah, there it is. right there! THAT'S the problem." Some say it's coaching, some say it's the GM, some say it's the GM AND Coach, and some say it's the assistants, some say it's the OC.

Because there are so many theories (we had a poll about it), it's hard to say who's right and who's wrong. Bottom line, there are just different views on this. Some slanted, obviously, but still..... just theories.

Not what I have heard either. I forget who has said it, but I thought they said Spags rips them behind closed doors and gets more fiery in there. Couple people said it I thought. I would prefer it that way if I played on a NFL team

superfan24

Starter
libertadrocks said:
JdashSTL said:
libertadrocks said:

I think he could fall a bit, not out of the first tho. If Floyd puts up a 40 time in the 4.5s or lower I expect him to leapfrog Jeffrey, so that would make him fall even further. Youre right tho, I think inconsistent QB play kills him.

Thats actually another points as to why Im not all that high on Blackmon's potential. I have heard talent evaluators say Weeden would be this years second best QB prospect if he wasnt already 28. Both Floyd and Jeffrey dont have the caliber of QB Blackmon has.

Yep would like Mike Floyd on the Rams next year. Hearing that he should be a mid to late 1st rounder.
He has really changed his whole lifestyle since training camp. Eating a lot better and watching a lot more film while becoming a leader on the team. He hasn't run the greatest routes simply cause he doesn't have too, but he hasn't had the best qb's throwin to him either. When the ball is just thrown up somewhat in his direction, we, nd fans assume he will come down with the ball and he has for the past year or so.

bluecoconuts

Legend
superfan24 said:
X said:

Not what I have heard either. I forget who has said it, but I thought they said Spags rips them behind closed doors and gets more fiery in there. Couple people said it I thought. I would prefer it that way if I played on a NFL team

I've heard that same thing, behind closed doors he rips into guys, swears, etc.. Out in public in front of the cameras, etc he's friendly.

I think HBO approached them last year about a possible Hard Knocks deal (nothing confirmed, I just heard they went to the Rams, Lions, and Bucs but were denied) but Spags said no.. Probably for that reason, he wants what he says behind closed doors to stay behind closed doors. Which, in my opinion, is probably why we don't really hear lots of drama and other bullshit about the locker room coming out. Spags leads by example, and I respect that.

superfan24

Starter
Btw it really sucks for Houston fans with the news of Schaub out for the year. I was kinda pulling for them out of the AFC cause I don't have another team I don't not like.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
superfan24 said:
Btw it really sucks for Houston fans with the news of Schaub out for the year. I was kinda pulling for them out of the AFC cause I don't have another team I don't not like.
C'mon man. The Bills! (or anyone in the AFC East besides the Pats).

superfan24

Starter
X said:
superfan24 said:
C'mon man. The Bills! (or anyone in the AFC East besides the Pats).

O of course the Bills, but they seem to be fading. I thought it was just assumed that we would all want anyone besides those cheating assholes :nice:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
superfan24 said:
X said:

That's why I asked Randy Karraker about Spags' demeanor behind closed doors on Shaky's E-Zine Q and A. I wanted to hear about this other side of Spags that is not revealed to the folks outside of the locker room. I too, remember hints of Spags having a different side behind closed doors... The Q and A was posted here, surprised you don't remember Randy's answer saying quite the contrary. He said that Spags is not any different behind closed doors- what you see is what you get in other words.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Selassie I said:
superfan24 said:
X said:

That's why I asked Randy Karraker about Spags' demeanor behind closed doors on Shaky's E-Zine Q and A. I wanted to hear about this other side of Spags that is not revealed to the folks outside of the locker room. I too, remember hints of Spags having a different side behind closed doors... The Q and A was posted here, surprised you don't remember Randy's answer saying quite the contrary. He said that Spags is not any different behind closed doors- what you see is what you get in other words.
Yeah, the difference being, Randy Karriker isn't behind closed doors. Spags answered this directly and he challenged the guys on the Fast Lane to talk to ANY player on the roster and ask THEM what he's like when there's no media around. I think it was confirmed by Brown too. I'll have to follow the trail and see if I can piece it together for you.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
superfan24 said:
X said:

One of the TV announcers said it during the Saints game.