Alexander Not Fitting the Bill?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
He's not an FS. Misuse does not mean he's not an in-the-box SS, because he obviously is. He's just been placed back there at FS to be a centerfielder because of Lovie's scheme and Goldson's presence. He legitimately is not good in coverage. Man to man on TEs he can do, but that's it. He needs to be playing close to the LOS.

Which is why this pick has got me a bit confused, are we moving TJ to FS now? Are we playing with 3 safety's, SS FS and a LB/S hybrid?

lockdnram21

Legend
He's not an FS. Misuse does not mean he's not an in-the-box SS, because he obviously is. He's just been placed back there at FS to be a centerfielder because of Lovie's scheme and Goldson's presence. He legitimately is not good in coverage. Better than McDonald, but still below average. Man to man on TEs he can do, but that's it. He needs to be playing close to the LOS.
I still think he's the fs. Only thing that makes sense unless tj plays fs

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I still think he's the fs. Only thing that makes sense unless tj plays fs

Probably, I just think it's a bad move. Don't trade for a guy just to misuse him the same way the other team did. We'll see how it goes, obviously they have a plan.

Which is why this pick has got me a bit confused, are we moving TJ to FS now? Are we playing with 3 safety's, SS FS and a LB/S hybrid?

The 3 safety defense sounds best to me, it's versatility looks fantastic. Not sure if Williams will do that, but you seem to be able to do a lot out of that type of look and it uses both players to the best of their abilities.

Realistically they probably move either Barron or TJ to FS which I hate. Both players should be near the LOS.

lockdnram21

Legend
Probably, I just think it's a bad move. Don't trade for a guy just to misuse him the same way the other team did. We'll see how it goes, obviously they have a plan.

The 3 safety defense sounds best to me, it's versatility looks fantastic. Not sure if Williams will do that, but you seem to be able to do a lot out of that type of look and it uses both players to the best of their abilities.

Realistically they probably move either Barron or TJ to FS which I hate. Both players should be near the LOS.
Barron is 3rd in pass defended since he came in the league

lockdnram21

Legend

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

For a few reasons. That number is misleading.

The first reason is quantity of snaps. He plays in a division of heavy passing and he plays a lot of center field FS because of the way they use him. He racks up PBUs that way even though he's still allowing a ton of passes to go through.

The second reason is the manner of PBUs. A lot of his breakups (not all, but a lot) consist of him hitting a player as they're catching the ball, and since Barron is an extremely hard hitter this usually dislodges the ball from their hands and that counts as a PBU. He definitely can get his hands on balls and cause breakups and he's talented, but he's not a great coverage safety.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
For a few reasons. That number is misleading.

The first reason is quantity of snaps. He plays in a division of heavy passing and he plays a lot of center field FS because of the way they use him. He racks up PBUs that way even though he's still allowing a ton of passes to go through.

The second reason is the manner of PBUs. A lot of his breakups (not all, but a lot) consist of him hitting a player as they're catching the ball, and since Barron is an extremely hard hitter this usually dislodges the ball from their hands and that counts as a PBU. He definitely can get his hands on balls and cause breakups and he's talented, but he's not a great coverage safety.

IMO, this move is more about getting a guy who is more in line with what Fisher wants his Safeties to be, and that is interchangeable. When they committed to McLeod in this scheme they have almost been forced to keep McDonald in the box exclusively. If and when Barron gets up to speed, having them both on the field, will allow them to play more of a right/left side Safety and switch up the looks they give.

The other thing that might be influencing this sort of move, is the apparent step back Ogletree has made in coverage. He just seems to be overwhelmed with all the different things they are asking him to do this year, and this will free him up to be more concerned with playing the run, and not so much about covering TEs.

I also think it speaks to the injury concerns at the position. McLeod and Davis are more than likely to miss a game or two, which leaves them seriously thin back there. No guarantees that Jenkins AND Johnson will be ready this week. So that could keep Joyner locked in at the Nickel.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Yup, makes you wonder why we just traded two draft picks. Forget about moving up in the draft next year to get a player like Stacy or Joyner. 5 picks next draft, FIVE! and we'll probably be 2-14.

Alan

Legend
Amitar having trouble with math:
Yup, makes you wonder why we just traded two draft picks. Forget about moving up in the draft next year to get a player like Stacy or Joyner. 5 picks next draft, FIVE! and we'll probably be 2-14.
I look at it differently Amitar. We have 5 picks plus Barron which is potentially much better than 7 picks and no Barron. Good move IMO. As was mentioned in another article, the 2015 draft doesn't look good for picking a safety, FS or SS. Now all we need is for @RamFan503 to be right about McD's ability to be a FS and we're all set at both safety positions for the low low price of a 4th and a 6th. Doesn't get much better than that if it works.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
IMO, this move is more about getting a guy who is more in line with what Fisher wants his Safeties to be, and that is interchangeable. When they committed to McLeod in this scheme they have almost been forced to keep McDonald in the box exclusively. If and when Barron gets up to speed, having them both on the field, will allow them to play more of a right/left side Safety and switch up the looks they give.

The other thing that might be influencing this sort of move, is the apparent step back Ogletree has made in coverage. He just seems to be overwhelmed with all the different things they are asking him to do this year, and this will free him up to be more concerned with playing the run, and not so much about covering TEs.

I also think it speaks to the injury concerns at the position. McLeod and Davis are more than likely to miss a game or two, which leaves them seriously thin back there. No guarantees that Jenkins AND Johnson will be ready this week. So that could keep Joyner locked in at the Nickel.

I said something to this affect in another thread. Fisher liked Barron coming out of college. He obviously felt that Barron was what he was looking for in a Safety to fit his scheme. He considered him in round 1 but felt it was too high. Now he gets him for a 6th and 4th? That is a bargain. Plus Fisher has had a chance to see Barron in the NFL. You don't get that with draft picks so he obviously felt that this was a worthwhile trade.

As for Alexander. I think he is depth and he has missed enough football that he probably has a bit of developing to do. Overall he most likely is a better athlete than some of the backups the Rams have at safety so that is where he fits. No coincidence that Alexander, McDonald, and Barron share some traits.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
For those lamenting the draft picks. Remember that we have been in NFL roster Hell for years. We have come to love and cherish every pick the Rams get. However on very good teams the 4th and later picks often don't make an impact or stick on the roster at all. Hopefully, despite the Rams recent play, the quality on the roster has improved to this point and it is mostly just inexperience that is hurting the team.

The list of needs has gotten smaller over the years. Too bad QB is back on it though. That throws a wrench into the works. Otherwise the team is looking at LBer and Oline, which is not too tall of an order.

Since the Lber crop doesn't have any top half of the first round standouts, and Guards can be found later in round 1 or in two or three, maybe the Rams can find a partner to trade back, if they don't find a QB they want to hang their hat on. That could make up for the lost draft picks.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The second reason is the manner of PBUs. A lot of his breakups (not all, but a lot) consist of him hitting a player as they're catching the ball, and since Barron is an extremely hard hitter this usually dislodges the ball from their hands and that counts as a PBU. He definitely can get his hands on balls and cause breakups and he's talented
This^ sounds pretty good to me!:D