Alexander Not Fitting the Bill?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Makes you wonder because we just traded for a starting safety. I don't recall him ever stepping on the field for defense since PS.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Yeah, seems strange doesn't it. I mean he was injured for a lot of training camp so maybe he's still not really familiar with the scheme still? Or maybe he's just rubbish? Or maybe he's the next kam chancellor but he's missed a bunch of team meetings so we've got him cleaning the EJDome when the games are on? :)
Who knows? I give up trying to second guess what this regime does!
It's still way too early to judge him though

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know I saw Cody Davis on the field at KC. I think he injured his shoulder on an awkward hit. That's pretty telling.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'd like to see more 3 safety defenses using one of Barron, Mo, or TJ in a LB role. Gives us a lot of flexibility. We probably have the most athletic safety group in the league, since Barron, McDonald, Alexander are all crazy athletic and we can take advantage of that.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
And once he develops, where does he go? Are they going to play 3 S's or are they expecting Barron or McD to leave?

McD leaving never crossed my mind. I think he's a SS but a liability in coverage.

Greg Williams was a step behind against the Chiefs, too. It's not working out, Greg. But hey, it's asking a ton when the offense sucks on a hot day in an outdoor stadium. Need a QB and a crap ton of OL'men. Time was little did Davis was very little but the WR's WERE NOT getting open. Our problems are many.

Hats offs to the Chiefs, though. That team is a sleeper. Houston and Hali freaked us up.

V3

Hall of Fame
McD leaving never crossed my mind. I think he's a SS but a liability in coverage.

Greg Williams was a step behind against the Chiefs, too. It's not working out, Greg. But hey, it's asking a ton when the offense sucks on a hot day in an outdoor stadium. Need a QB and a crap ton of OL'men. Time was little did Davis was very little but the WR's WERE NOT getting open. Our problems are many.

Hats offs to the Chiefs, though. That team is a sleeper. Houston and Hali freaked us up.
I agree with you on McD which is why I don't get why they don't try and compensate for that by getting a guy who's good at pass coverage.

Hey, I know! Let's get TWO MORE guys that aren't good at pass coverage! That'll fix it!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see this as Fisher getting a guy they had really wanted two years ago at a bargain price - not a knock on Alexander at all. Of course, if Barron isn't all that in the new system then it's a waste, so we'll see.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Or it could be that Snead/Fisher just saw the Barron deal as a can't pass up.

A55VA6

Legend
Brian Quick situation, just not as high of a pick. It'll be a couple years most likely.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I see this as Fisher getting a guy they had really wanted two years ago at a bargain price - not a knock on Alexander at all. Of course, if Barron isn't all that in the new system then it's a waste, so we'll see.

I'm going with this, it's way more positive than what I'm thinking.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
We're 8 weeks into Alexander's rookie season, it's a bit early to call it over. He's a 4th rounder, developmental pick is right. He missed valuable time over the summer because of an injury, he came from a small school, and in addition to that he only played safety his last year in college. He's going to need time to show if he has NFL talent.

Alan

Legend
He was a 4th round pick for a reason. As I've said many times, I don't expect anything but a marginal starter at best below the third round.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Alexander is playing the same position, and is the same player as TJ McDonald. Not sure why people seem to still think they are going to end up being a tandem at Safety. Alexander was in catch up mode after missing most of Training Camp, was projected to be a developmental type pick in the first place, and now, after 8 weeks, some seem to think going out and getting a player who was highly thought of 2 years ago is somehow indicative of giving up on Alexander?

I think it speaks more to the timing, considering that BOTH of the Free Safeties on the roster were injured on Sunday, one reportedly may miss "a game or two" (McLeod), and the other undergoing the the concussion protocol with no immediate report as to how serious it may be.

I read a tweet from Wagoner that Barron has less than 25% of his total snaps as an "in the box" Safety, which tells me he is more of a FS than many seem to think he is. If, and this is a big IF, he plays with a little more discipline than McLeod, than this could be a very good, yet low risk move.

Alan

Legend
I have always considered Alexander to be a backup for McDonald. Neither one of them has the skills of a FS IMO. You hear that @RamFan503 ? :LOL: ;)

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We're 8 weeks into Alexander's rookie season, it's a bit early to call it over. He's a 4th rounder, developmental pick is right. He missed valuable time over the summer because of an injury, he came from a small school, and in addition to that he only played safety his last year in college. He's going to need time to show if he has NFL talent.

Maybe he can play LB'er. Just being in the right spot and wrapping up would be an upgrade.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Maybe he can play LB'er. Just being in the right spot and wrapping up would be an upgrade.

You know, I don't think that would be a bad idea. If Daren Bates can play linebacker, why can't Alexander?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I read a tweet from Wagoner that Barron has less than 25% of his total snaps as an "in the box" Safety, which tells me he is more of a FS than many seem to think he is. If, and this is a big IF, he plays with a little more discipline than McLeod, than this could be a very good, yet low risk move.

He's not an FS. Misuse does not mean he's not an in-the-box SS, because he obviously is. He's just been placed back there at FS to be a centerfielder because of Lovie's scheme and Goldson's presence. He legitimately is not good in coverage. Better than McDonald, but still below average. Man to man on TEs he can do, but that's it. He needs to be playing close to the LOS.