Alex Smith

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
After watching last nights game it's clear to me why Harbaugh gave up on Alex,

Phillip River torched that Philly secondary with their prize FA cornerback Bradley Fletcher

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKSQBR RTG
P. Rivers 36/47 419 8.9 3 0 1-6 93.5 124.3

Smith ran around waiting for written invitations to throw the ball to someone,OK" ball security" yada yada, but there is no way Philly was doing THAT GOOD a job of covering the KC recs. It HAS to be frustrating for a wr. playing for Alex ,they ALWAYS think they are open anyway, but when you ARE and he repeatedly just won't throw it ,Bowe went till what the 4th quarter till he had a catch?OK maybe they were blanketing him but SHIT.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Smith is a game manager. He won't turn the ball over, so the opposition isn't getting easy scores off of him. KC relies on a solid D with some great players and Charles on offense. It will get them to the playoffs but thats about it.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
max said:
Smith is a game manager. He won't turn the ball over, so the opposition isn't getting easy scores off of him. KC relies on a solid D with some great players and Charles on offense. It will get them to the playoffs but thats about it.

Looking at their schedule ya nearly drool ,but that term you used "game manager" IMO elevates what he does cuz he DOES eventually get rid of the ball and often the throws are bad the maddening thing is he's got a damn good arm.

jap

Legend
Kaeperdick has a big arm, and he runs and makes plays. I can't blame Harbaugh for giving up on Alex.

Sam is not a run-option QB, but he can and will make plays with his legs if he has to. Plus, he has such an accurate arm, he really only needs a strong pass-blocking OL and decent receivers to strive successfully.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
jap said:
Kaeperdick has a big arm, and he runs and makes plays. I can't blame Harbaugh for giving up on Alex.

Sam is not a run-option QB, but he can and will make plays with his legs if he has to. Plus, he has such an accurate arm, he really only needs a strong pass-blocking OL and decent receivers to strive successfully.
Ya know Martz was his OC and he tried like hell to find alternatives to Alex and JMO but if Martz can't getcha to throw the rock, nobody can

Memphis Ram

Legend
Thordaddy said:

Phillip River torched that Philly secondary with their prize FA cornerback Bradley Fletcher

Actually, Fletcher was inactive in that game due to a concussion.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330919021" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330919021</a>
B. Fletcher
Total tackles 3
Solo Tackles 3
Pass defensed 1

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Memphis Ram said:
Thordaddy said:

Actually, Fletcher was inactive in that game due to a concussion.
I stand corrected on that detail and really I liked Fletcher but still Smith is too cautious and holds the ball until he has to make injudicious throws take a sack or whatever, I refuse to accept that the Philly secondary had that smothering a coverage even dropping 8.

V3

Hall of Fame
Thordaddy said:

Smith ran around waiting for written invitations to throw the ball to someone,OK" ball security" yada yada, but there is no way Philly was doing THAT GOOD a job of covering the KC recs. It HAS to be frustrating for a wr. playing for Alex ,they ALWAYS think they are open anyway, but when you ARE and he repeatedly just won't throw it ,Bowe went till what the 4th quarter till he had a catch?OK maybe they were blanketing him but shyte.

Have to agree with you. It was frustrating watching him play last night. He'd sit back there with very good protection (most of the time) and his feet would start dancing all over and his face looked like he was a deer in headlights. It took him forever to decided if he wanted to throw it. Many times he couldn't figure anything out so he'd just bail and start running even if his line was still holding up.

Perhaps he's been better in other games? Last night I thought he looked pretty bad. The only thing that saved him was the fact that he didn't turn the ball over and perhaps that's all they want him to do. But if that's the case, I'd argue that they spent WAY too much for him then.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
V3 said:
Thordaddy said:

Smith ran around waiting for written invitations to throw the ball to someone,OK" ball security" yada yada, but there is no way Philly was doing THAT GOOD a job of covering the KC recs. It HAS to be frustrating for a wr. playing for Alex ,they ALWAYS think they are open anyway, but when you ARE and he repeatedly just won't throw it ,Bowe went till what the 4th quarter till he had a catch?OK maybe they were blanketing him but shyte.

Have to agree with you. It was frustrating watching him play last night. He'd sit back there with very good protection (most of the time) and his feet would start dancing all over and his face looked like he was a deer in headlights. It took him forever to decided if he wanted to throw it. Many times he couldn't figure anything out so he'd just bail and start running even if his line was still holding up.

Perhaps he's been better in other games? Last night I thought he looked pretty bad. The only thing that saved him was the fact that he didn't turn the ball over and perhaps that's all they want him to do. But if that's the case, I'd argue that they spent WAY too much for him then.
As much as Reid like to throw the ball I have a difficult tie thinking Alex will fit his plans for long, unless he's planning to set a record for number of WC appearances in a row,cuz that won't ever get them a Div championship, Wild ass statement here but I'd as soon have Tebow :shock:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Alex Smith doesn't turn the ball over. And his team wins.

Michael Vick turns the ball over. And his team loses.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alex Smith is what he is at this point in his career. Gotta know what you're getting. He's going to put up some pretty numbers and his TD to int ratio is going to look good but he's not a guy that's anything more than an average to below average starting QB. He won't turn it over because he doesn't take chances. He's just ultra conservative. But that works for some teams...it's better than having a terrible QB like Cassel.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Angry Ram said:

And IF those were the choices , but Hairball had Collin the tattooed QB.

FWIW though if Smith can beat the Cowboys in their house...........I like Sams chances. :ww:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thordaddy said:
Angry Ram said:

FWIW though if Smith can beat the Cowboys in their house...........I like Sams chances. :ww:

The Chiefs won because they held Dallas to 16 points. Not sold the Rams can do that.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Kansas City won that game against Dallas because it was in Arrowhead. Kc offense only scored 7 points. Kc had 5 turnovers against Philly and thought they should of won game by more than score indicated.
:boing:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
jrry32 said:
Thordaddy said:
Angry Ram said:

The Chiefs won because they held Dallas to 16 points. Not sold the Rams can do that.
Actually irry they won because they scored 17 cuz 16 is more than enough points to beat zero and my point was that I'm thinkin we don't HAVE to hold them to 16 cuz they won't hold us to 17 ,just sayin'.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thordaddy said:
jrry32 said:
Thordaddy said:
Angry Ram said:

Actually irry they won because they scored 17 cuz 16 is more than enough points to beat zero and my point was that I'm thinkin we don't HAVE to hold them to 16 cuz they won't hold us to 17 ,just sayin'.

Thank you for the mathematics lesson. :ww:

My point is that the Rams defense has a lot to prove. Bradford, unlike Smith, will likely have to shoulder a much more significant burden against Dallas because he can't rely on the defense to shut them down.

Now, I hope to be wrong. I hope we return that 34-7 butt whooping they gave us last time we played...but...I just don't have a lot of confidence in our D right now.

iced

with the way our secondary and our defense has been playing , i have no faith in our defense being able to contain dez bryant like the giants did.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Thordaddy said:
Angry Ram said:

Who Alex Smith was started in tattooed QB's place his rookie year and went to NFC title game. Also Alex Smith started over tattooed QB his second year, until one Jo-Lonn Dunbar ended his SF career.