Alec Ogletree still looking for a new deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-report-20170824-story.html

Rams middle linebacker Alec Ogletree still looking for that new deal
Gary Klein/Contact Reporter

611x344

Jae C. Hong / Associated Press Photo

The season opener is about two weeks away and the Rams have yet to get a deal done with one of their top defensive players.

Aaron Donald?

That high-profile contract dispute continues to play out, but the Rams and middle linebacker Alec Ogletree also appear to be at a standstill.

Rams executives have said for more than a year that they wanted to extend young players that form their nucleus and have evolved into leaders.

If Ogletree does not sign a new contract, he is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent after the season. Essentially, he said, he is “on a one-year deal” unless an agreement is reached.

“Play this season, see how it goes,” he said, “and if we get a deal done before then great.

“If not, we’ll take it from there. I’m just focusing on one thing at time: getting ready for this season, Game 1, and the rest will take care of itself.”

Ogletree was named a second-team All-Pro last season after recording a career-high 136 tackles and two interceptions for the Rams. He’s set to earn $8.37 million in base salary this season.

Ogletree is calling signals for a defense that has been without several projected starters for the first two preseason games.

Donald is absent and linebackers Robert Quinn and Mark Barron and cornerback Kayvon Webster have not played because of injuries or what coach Sean McVay has characterized as preventive maintenance.

The Rams defense, Ogletree said, has “done a lot of good stuff, but we also had a couple mistakes here and there,” during preseason victories over the Dallas Cowboys and Oakland Raiders.

The unit will try to correct those mistakes and minimize others against the Chargers, with Ogletree leading the way.

“He’s obviously a great football player,” McVay said, “But I think what he represents in the locker room, in the meeting room and the way that he goes about his business every single day is what sets him apart.

“We’re fortunate to have a player like him.”

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have been a Tree fan since his UG yrs.....I would bet the unexpected hold out AD "matter" has stalled the Tree contract talks. AD>AO in terms of importance. Then if AD matter becomes unmanageable in less than 2 wks then Tree might end up as the beneficiary. I am looking @ this from an overview position Tree as good as he is is in a tight spot. Here what I see:

#1- From what I have come to know.....Wade Defense places a much higher priority of importance on other posts than his 2 inside LB'ers.
#2-Rams already have mega amounts of $$$ tied up in the other ISLB'er Mark Barron.
#3-Rams do have possible good younger econo models waiting in the wings....Littleton/ Hager/ Forrest/ McKinzy & Davis.
#4-Wade has a history of finding & utilizing Econo ISLB'ers in his past defense.
#5- With the 2 Edge Rushers @ LB'er (Quinn/Barwin) also in the discussion of 2018 contracts.

Tree is in a tight spot.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPImdMknAO4

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I have a feeling his domino falls shortly after the AD deal is announced.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
oh geez....who's idea was it to have all these guys contracts expire at the same time?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“Play this season, see how it goes,” he said, “and if we get a deal done before then great.

“If not, we’ll take it from there. I’m just focusing on one thing at time: getting ready for this season, Game 1, and the rest will take care of itself.”

Kind of sounds like the opposite of "still looking for a new deal"
Got to love the media...

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
wouldnt be surprised to see the Rams wait til the offseason to work out a deal, no matter how badly they want to sign him. So many people to sign and to potentially cut, seems best to see what cap space they will have before assigning cap numbers each year for Ogletree

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
at least AO is out there playing and he is on his last year of his deal. much respect to this guy

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
wouldnt be surprised to see the Rams wait til the offseason to work out a deal, no matter how badly they want to sign him. So many people to sign and to potentially cut, seems best to see what cap space they will have before assigning cap numbers each year for Ogletree

If they wait till the offseason, and they dick around with him until the FA signing period starts, they would probably lose him. They don't typically get into bidding wars. Even for their own players.

I hope they can get it done before that comes around. He's one of their core nucleus right now. I'd rate him behind Donald and ahead of Tru Johnson on the defense.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They have to keep this guy, it's been years since the Rams were strong in the middle and with AD and AO they have what they need.

Man this is some risky stuff right now for the Rams.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
#3-Rams do have possible good younger econo models waiting in the wings....Littleton/ Hager/ Forrest/ McKinzy & Davis.
I don't see the Rams going with any of these^^ "Econo Class guy" if the have Ogletree! JMHO

fearsomefour

Legend
I have been a Tree fan since his UG yrs.....I would bet the unexpected hold out AD "matter" has stalled the Tree contract talks. AD>AO in terms of importance. Then if AD matter becomes unmanageable in less than 2 wks then Tree might end up as the beneficiary. I am looking @ this from an overview position Tree as good as he is is in a tight spot. Here what I see:

#1- From what I have come to know.....Wade Defense places a much higher priority of importance on other posts than his 2 inside LB'ers.
#2-Rams already have mega amounts of $$$ tied up in the other ISLB'er Mark Barron.
#4-Wade has a history of finding & utilizing Econo ISLB'ers in his past defense.
#5- With the 2 Edge Rushers @ LB'er (Quinn/Barwin) also in the discussion of 2018 contracts.

Tree is in a tight spot.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPImdMknAO4

I would think keeping Tree is a priority....supremely athletic, can play inside or out....Barron, don't know if he will be retained after this year. Same could be said for Quinn and Barwin. Depends how it goes for those two rushers.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see the Rams going with any of these^^ "Econo Class guy" if the have Ogletree! JMHO
Hard to tell, Wade Phillips made his 3-4 work for years with late round picks. The guys in Denvers top defense iirc were a 6th rounder and an udfa.

JRobinson

MiLB
They have to keep this guy, it's been years since the Rams were strong in the middle and with AD and AO they have what they need.

Man this is some risky stuff right now for the Rams.

They don't have to keep anybody. It would be nice to retain Alec but as someone else already mentioned, when you have a lot of picks early, this type of stuff happens. The Rams know their caps situation, they know what they want to do going forward, and they obviously know who they want to re-sign. Who knows, they might be going in a "wait-and-see "mode on Alec. We don't know. Alec has been hurt before, will he fit in this D? How much money does he want? You don't know and neither do I.

Sure, he's a solid player, and like you, I'd like to keep him. But he's not irreplaceable.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
If they wait till the offseason, and they dick around with him until the FA signing period starts, they would probably lose him. They don't typically get into bidding wars. Even for their own players.

I hope they can get it done before that comes around. He's one of their core nucleus right now. I'd rate him behind Donald and ahead of Tru Johnson on the defense.

doubt the pay would be much different if hes signed before or after the start of free agency, but either way thats not what I was saying. Theres time between the end of season and the start of FA, which I think will be important to the structuring of Ogletree's deal. Theres to many people they have decisions to make on this offseason and a full seasons worth of tape will help make those decisions, and once they are made the Rams can figure out how much space they have. Im a fan of Ogletree and think hes a great player, but as others have mentioned, wade phillips has had success with less talented MLBs so hes not the same type of priority as AD or someone like that which is why I think we see them wait a bit to extend him

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sure, he's a solid player, and like you, I'd like to keep him. But he's not irreplaceable.

I know he could be replaced but that doesn't mean it's smart to do that. Keeping AD and AO gives you two PB players in the middle of the defense. That's hard to replace.

Our defense will be in 4-3 a lot, keep in mind it's not only a 3-4 he adjusts depending on situations.

Here is an article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...4-scheme-may-not-be-a-big-adjustment-for-rams

JRobinson

MiLB
I know he could be replaced but that doesn't mean it's smart to do that. Keeping AD and AO gives you two PB players in the middle of the defense. That's hard to replace.

Yeah, I get that. But we only won 4 games last year with those two playing lol. Obviously our offense hurt the defense by not sustaining drives. But still, the scheme matters more to fit the player type than just the player himself and his abilities.

UtahRam

Rookie
I hope we resign Olgetree. I think he's a great RAM and hope he wears the horns for his career.