Alec Ogletree confident a new deal is forthcoming

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'd yell and scream, but this is clearly obvious to most

AO hasn't played ANYWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS AD.....

i lied....i wanted to yell and scream at someone....
I'm sorry. But at THIS point in time, the Rams cannot just throw all that cash at AD and keep other parts of the team .. .which would mean making the team better. And AD KNOWS that. He actually had NO leverage here that is going to help him or his team. Just throwing it all at him now would set them back even more, so I know he has "earned" the right for more $$ .. .he is just going to have to wait for it to come. Because it will. In the mean time, he can either be part of the solution or another part of the problem. I can assure you the rams have not been "low balling" him, or it would have gotten out by now. Negotiations would have been stopped. So blame the Rams all you want, but my intelligence tells me that AD is as much to blame in this as anyone.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I understand their contracts, but you really can't compare the two. First of all, Ogletree is not All-World. Second, he is not ridiculously underpaid, just due for an extension. Third, he got hurt in his third year, so no extension/discussion was warranted after three years. Even the Rams understand Donald is due THIS YEAR.

I don't want to lose Donald or Ogletree, and that's why I am PO'd that we are paying others way too much. I would just as soon cut Johnson and Austin to make room for Donald and Ogletree. Sorry for ranting. I'm out.
It's not about who is "all world". It's about the process of building a team the right way and staying within the confines of the business to do so. Teams that ignore that are teams that will not have long term success. I will admit ... the TA contract and TruJ tag were bad moves. But at this point it is what it is. AD holding out is not going to "fix" anything. It will do more harm to both parties in the end. His leverage grows as his yrs go on. He is getting bad advice from his rep's, IMHO

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Seriously, the Rams should just pay the man. Break the cap and be a terrible team for years, but they would have their ALL World player. That's exactly what the Putriots or Steelers would do....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd yell and scream, but this is clearly obvious to most

AO hasn't played ANYWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS AD.....

i lied....i wanted to yell and scream at someone....
And AD will be signed to an extension. The difference is AO is at the end of his 5 year rookie contract and is ready for his second deal. AD is in the 4th year of his 5 year deal. He'll get a new one too. Not sure what's hard to understand about that. Also AO handled it like a team captain and showed up each and every off season for OTA's and camp. AD chose another route.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
In the mean time, he can either be part of the solution or another part of the problem.
What?!
The "problem" appears to be Snead and Demoff...sorry Kev....you are dropping the ball here.

The difference is AO is at the end of his 5 year rookie contract and is ready for his second deal. AD is in the 4th year of his 5 year deal. He'll get a new one too. Not sure what's hard to understand about that.
Signing bonus....Front load the contract...something..if you can renegotiate TAVON...and Rob Quinn...you can come to the table early for a potential/future HOF'er....

The same thing we did with others...namely Eric Dickerson
AO handled it like a team captain and showed up each and every off season for OTA's and camp. AD chose another route.
I guess that's the difference between a consistent Pro Bowler....future HOF'er....and just a really good player...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree. I must admit... I am concerned about Donald. He needs to get paid... Ogletree needs to get paid... how are the Rams going to get through this?

Truth is they have to play by the rules.
K. Cousins & Tru Johnson have set the standard. They get paid by performance.
The Rams have to find a CB to replace Tru Johnson & sign Ogletree to a multi year contract.

I think Joyner you let walk & John Johnson I'd give every opportunity for him to win the spot.

The Rams have a lot of one year contracts this season. Keep building through the draft. The TE & WR spots are filled for a couple years. The O'lineman need to keep developing & keep signed moving forward. Saffold contract is in question.

The timing of signing Aaron Donald isn't right. There is no harm & no foul as Chick Hearn would say.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What?!
The "problem" appears to be Snead and Demoff...sorry Kev....you are dropping the ball here.

Signing bonus....Front load the contract...something..if you can renegotiate TAVON...and Rob Quinn...you can come to the table early for a potential/future HOF'er....

The same thing we did with others...namely Eric Dickerson
I guess that's the difference between a consistent Pro Bowler....future HOF'er....and just a really good player...

Fisher was apart of the Tavon thing. It is what it is. I think Tavon scores at least 10 TD's this year if healthy. You can hold me to that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jenkins, Austin, Johnson, Quinn, Barron, Donald, and now Ogletree wants to get paid? Does it get any worse than this? And let's not even mention Pead, Robinson, Bailey, Quick, Barrett Jones, or the numerous other o-line picks that we are still waiting to develop.
Ogletree is in his 5th year, so it's his time for a new contract!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The difference to have the intelligence to know you're going to get paid so show up and do your job so you don't get fined 40k a day?

Fisher's not in charge anymore quit holding his actions against McVay. AD will get a contract extension anybody who thinks he won't is well I'll be polite and just leave it without finishing the though. AD just decided he didn't want to learn the defense, get in shape and work with his team.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Johnson and the Rams were unable to come to terms on a long-term contract. He will earn nearly $17 million this season on the franchise tag and become a free agent.

I wonder how much he wanted, or where the talks broke down. I wish they hadn't tagged him, he's good but not 17MIL good.

Jenkins, Austin, Johnson, Quinn, Barron, Donald, and now Ogletree wants to get paid? Does it get any worse than this? And let's not even mention Pead, Robinson, Bailey, Quick, Barrett Jones, or the numerous other o-line picks that we are still waiting to develop.

This can happen when you select a handful of players in back to back years that you went to keep. It happens. As far as players not developing oh well, that happens too.

Really disappointed in Donald, you sign a contract and you honor it. Yes, you are the best at your position, but your extension will come at the appropriate time. And now is not the time especially for the organization.

It's bad timing and I understand he wants to get the $$$ he's worth but trying to get a new deal done this year is hard with the Rams having little cap space. After this year would be as you say the appropriate time but it looks like that ship has sailed.

AO should get his deal this summer and AD should get his next year, if not 2019.

Except now AD has forced the situation. Rather than spending this year working on a deal he is holding out. So unless the Rams and his agents are finishing up details on the contract he drew the line in the sand.

He is getting bad advice from his rep's, IMHO

I agree. In this situation telling a player to hold out is the worst thing. I'm amazed that they decided to pick a public fight like this, they aren't going to win either way. And if the Rams take the nuclear approach and trade him then he has to start all over trying to get a deal from a different team/GM.

if you can renegotiate TAVON...and Rob Quinn

I would like to see that happen for sure. Especially Quinn, I have a feeling he will never be what he was because of the back.

Fisher's not in charge anymore quit holding his actions against McVay.

McVay and Snead have nothing to do with contracts that's Demoff.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
If there's one person that can afford to miss time at camp, it's AD. Once he's back, he'll step in and not miss a beat. Everyone else needs to get their shit together.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If there's one person that can afford to miss time at camp, it's AD.
Asking for an injury IMO...

AD will get a contract extension anybody who thinks he won't is well I'll be polite and just leave it without finishing the though.
We shall see....but I've seen Shaq leave town....I've seen Eric Dickerson leave..Anyone can become disgusted with contract dealings and simply not feel appreciated. This could definitely end poorly.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Asking for an injury IMO...

We shall see....but I've seen Shaq leave town....I've seen Eric Dickerson leave..Anyone can become disgusted with contract dealings and simply not feel appreciated. This could definitely end poorly.
That's true. I'm optimistic that this holdout will not be extensive and that AD will be training on his own.