Alec Ogletree confident a new deal is forthcoming

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-alec-ogletree-20170728-story.html

In regard to Rams contract situations, most of the focus during the offseason was on defensive tackle Aaron Donald and cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

Meanwhile, linebacker Alec Ogletree patiently waits.

“I still don’t have a deal yet, but it’s in the works,” Ogletree said Friday upon his arrival at training camp at UC Irvine. “When it happens it happens.”

Ogletree is due to earn about $8.4 million this season, his fifth with the Rams since they drafted him in the first round in 2013.

He remains confident that a new contract is forthcoming.

“It will get done eventually, one way or another,” he said. “So all I can do is show up here and do what I need to do. I’m still under contract. I’m still here to abide by that so I’m going to keep doing what I need to do to help these guys win.”

Donald sat out organized team activities because he wants a new deal that would make him one of the NFL’s highest-paid defensive players. He apparently was not among the veterans that reported to training camp Friday morning.

Johnson and the Rams were unable to come to terms on a long-term contract. He will earn nearly $17 million this season on the franchise tag and become a free agent.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
losing Ogletree would hurt bad...aint gonna lie.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Now THAT is a pro. Way to be, Alec.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jenkins, Austin, Johnson, Quinn, Barron, Donald, and now Ogletree wants to get paid? Does it get any worse than this? And let's not even mention Pead, Robinson, Bailey, Quick, Barrett Jones, or the numerous other o-line picks that we are still waiting to develop.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Jenkins, Austin, Johnson, Quinn, Barron, Donald, and now Ogletree wants to get paid? Does it get any worse than this? And let's not even mention Pead, Robinson, Bailey, Quick, Barrett Jones, or the numerous other o-line picks that we are still waiting to develop.

Well he is going to get paid regardless his contract is almost up.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Silly ?? Your looking at the negatives .

Long , JL55 , Jared Cook ??

It's all about the salary cap. The The Rams have made mistakes for sure.
--Tru is the biggest though. Aaron Donald & his camp can sit out all they want. At the end of the day Aaron Donald wants to be the best . At the very least they have him tied up for 3 more seasons.

Team first Ogletree gets his as well. He is a vocal team leader , & quiet at the same time. All business. To look at mini camp when Tree was getting interviewed, the cameras turned to Donald throw a medicine ball against the wall.

The Rams need to keep there core players intact. Whatever Ram fans want to say it is Demoff who has to put the. Umber together. In fact I like the fact he is know hiding behind the scene.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-alec-ogletree-20170728-story.html

In regard to Rams contract situations, most of the focus during the offseason was on defensive tackle Aaron Donald and cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

Meanwhile, linebacker Alec Ogletree patiently waits.

“I still don’t have a deal yet, but it’s in the works,” Ogletree said Friday upon his arrival at training camp at UC Irvine. “When it happens it happens.”

Ogletree is due to earn about $8.4 million this season, his fifth with the Rams since they drafted him in the first round in 2013.

He remains confident that a new contract is forthcoming.

“It will get done eventually, one way or another,” he said. “So all I can do is show up here and do what I need to do. I’m still under contract. I’m still here to abide by that so I’m going to keep doing what I need to do to help these guys win.”

Donald sat out organized team activities because he wants a new deal that would make him one of the NFL’s highest-paid defensive players. He apparently was not among the veterans that reported to training camp Friday morning.

Johnson and the Rams were unable to come to terms on a long-term contract. He will earn nearly $17 million this season on the franchise tag and become a free agent.

Thanks for posting.

I loved Mike Singletary's mentoring of Ogletree last year and I'm eager to see him develop as the player and leader that he is.

To have Tree and Donald up the middle for the next several years would be very positive for the future.

Ram65

Legend
Hopefully, they get a deal done for Tree soon. It's hard going into the new defense and making new contract decisions. He will get a lot of money but, I don't if the position needs to be a high paying one.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

Wtf are you talking about? Is there a point here? Yes, contracts expire and people need new ones.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wtf are you talking about? Is there a point here? Yes, contracts expire and people need new ones.

What I am talking about is the fact that we need to pay TWO very good players, when we are already paying out silly money to a lot of players that aren't living up to their contracts. Add in the disasters the Rams have drafted on offense, and it does not look good. Horrible management. I can understand a couple of mistakes, but Demoff or Snead or Fisher have really dug a hole for this organization.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
And this is why this guy should be captain over Donald. Lead by example and let your actions speak for themselves.

Really disappointed in Donald, you sign a contract and you honor it. Yes, you are the best at your position, but your extension will come at the appropriate time. And now is not the time especially for the organization.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Silly ?? Your looking at the negatives .

I agree. I must admit... I am concerned about Donald. He needs to get paid... Ogletree needs to get paid... how are the Rams going to get through this?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. I must admit... I am concerned about Donald. He needs to get paid... Ogletree needs to get paid... how are the Rams going to get through this?
AD really has no recourse here. He will either play under his current contract, or he will sit out and lose $. AO should get his deal this summer and AD should get his next year, if not 2019. The Rams cannot throw stupid, cap busting money around right now. They were a 4-12 team last year. Losing AD would suck, but this team needs to be very careful in the coming years or they will continue to live in suckage. It could be worse...imagine if we had talent on offense that needed signing also!!

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Dude is making 8 mill...and hasn't played nearly as good as AD....what's the point?
AO went thru the same process as AD did on this. His $8mil. comes from the 5th yr option...just like AD would get. How hard is that to figure out?

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude is making 8 mill...and hasn't played nearly as good as AD....what's the point?
What is YOUR point? Seriously. What is it? Anytime someone says something positive about a Rams player @LACHAMP46 be like...
140228_2750477_Debbie_Downer_s_Oscar_Jam_anvver_2.jpg

Oh, and that sig gif of yours is not annoying at ALL. LOVE IT!!

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
AO went thru the same process as AD did on this. His $8mil. comes from the 5th yr option...just like AD would get. How hard is that to figure out?

What is YOUR point? Seriously. What is it?
I'd yell and scream, but this is clearly obvious to most

AO hasn't played ANYWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS AD.....

i lied....i wanted to yell and scream at someone....

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I understand their contracts, but you really can't compare the two. First of all, Ogletree is not All-World. Second, he is not ridiculously underpaid, just due for an extension. Third, he got hurt in his third year, so no extension/discussion was warranted after three years. Even the Rams understand Donald is due THIS YEAR.

I don't want to lose Donald or Ogletree, and that's why I am PO'd that we are paying others way too much. I would just as soon cut Johnson and Austin to make room for Donald and Ogletree. Sorry for ranting. I'm out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I expect Tree to have a very big year in 2017. First he comes in here & starts 16 games as a rookie @ strong side outside LB'er then next season flips over to weak side OSLB'er starts 16 games (did I mention Tree led the team in tackles in his first two NFL seasons).

What about Tree having tied the NFL record for longest interception return by a linebacker, and the longest return by a rookie linebacker in league history..? In the last 4 seasons he has lined up & started in every game played when he did not have a broken leg...52 starts!

Last season he was assigned as the defensive Captain which requires making all defensive calls & insuring proper positioning in the new MLB'er post. Tree played in a defense that really feature him as the only bonified LB'er on the field. Tree play with a safety & a small dinky CB @ the other LB'ing posts beside him. So 52 starts playing in 3 different LB'ing roles in 4 seasonso_O. Maybe if Tree had been left in one posts since he arrived like other worshiped Rams his star may have burned just as bright :whistle:. Guess you would call me a true Tree Hugger.

The DL is very good & Tree is surrounded by veterans Barwin, Barron & Quinn! This Wade defense is perfect for Tree's talents & skills IMO. I have always liked his passion & play going back to his early SEC days. I know many here wants a big thump-er inside but the Tree's range & speed from sideline to sideline to cover for the usual blitzing outside Lb'ers is big ...very BIG. Same can be said for Mark Barron range. Wade has to be like...:sneaky::D every day of his Ram life.

I would suggest to the Ram Org. that they might want to get this new contract speed-ed up before the season gets underway while there's a lull in the AD matter..

Last edited: