After strong start, Rams defense appears to be wearing down/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand that the name of the game is to limit scores. But, with all the expenditure on the defense (staff and players) I was really hoping for more of a "don't break defense" instead of a "bend but don't break" style of play.

Carolina this year. Seattle & 49ers of a couple years ago are examples.
And they all have a offense that moves the ball and take time off the clock. We don't have that luxury, I don't blame this defense at all if the offense was better so would the defense and imagine how scary this D would look with a real offense

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
That Ravens offense might be a little better, but they were still pretty bad. Of course that 2000 defense had 28 INTs compared to the Rams 9 to date. And opponents completed only about 56% of their passes compared to a league worst 69.3% to date.

That said the Rams offense might rival the 1999 Bucs. But, the defense sure won't.:(
The Ravens offense was 14th in points scored, we're 31.

We got a long way to go before we can say our offense is only a little worse. That offense executed when they needed it, ours doesn't. Nobody can sufficiently put the blame on the D simply because it's impossible.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Ravens offense was 14th in points scored, we're 31.

We got a long way to go before we can say our offense is only a little worse. That offense executed when they needed it, ours doesn't. Nobody can sufficiently put the blame on the D simply because it's impossible.

I didn't think anyone had put the blame on the D. Plus the Ravens 20.8 points per game in 2000 would have them ranked about 26th today. And their offense also enjoyed a lot of short fields given to them by their don't break defense. Some via the 23 INTs and 26 fumble recoveries. To date the Rams have 9 INTs and 9 fumble recoveries playing bend but don't break. But, yes after today's egg, only a little worse is a stretch.

And they all have a offense that moves the ball and take time off the clock. We don't have that luxury, I don't blame this defense at all if the offense was better so would the defense and imagine how scary this D would look with a real offense

I've not absolved the role of the offense. I'm sure the defense would look better with better offensive play. But, either way, the Rams are playing bend but don't break no matter what the offense is doing. Shoot, going into today, QBs were completing around 70% of their passes even in the games when the offense would score (so long ago).

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I didn't think anyone had put the blame on the D. Plus the Ravens 20.8 points per game in 2000 would have them ranked about 26th today. And their offense also enjoyed a lot of short fields given to them by their don't break defense. Some via the 23 INTs and 26 fumble recoveries. Today the Rams have 9 INTs and 9 fumble recoveries. But, yes after today's egg, only a little worse is a stretch.
Yeah, that's today, but then that was all that was necessary, putting them at a very good offense. You've got to put it all in perspective, you can't judge them by today's standard to say they weren't all that great because, well today's standard didn't apply. They were good by their own standard which helped their defense out immensely. We are terrible by today's standard which hurts our D greatly.

We could also get into how offenses are more highly polished and effective and thus turnovers aren't at such a premium, but we can just leave it at that by 2000s standards the Ravens D and O were both playing at a good level.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Your offense has to have the ability to do something the Rams offense of late does nothing. The 85 Bears had Walter Payton and Jim McMahon and could make plays and the 2000 Raven defense had less on offense, but that offense could make plays when it mattered and just enough to keep that defense rested.

The Ram offense is the worst offense most of us have seen in a very long time and there are no indications that it will get any better. Hopefully, somehow, someway, in the future the offense will get better, but by the time that happens most likely the defense will need major repair and thus is the life of a Ram fan.

Thanks - most sensible post here.

There is simply no way you can blame the woes of this team on the defense. First of all, we've had a number of injuries - significant ones - that have severely impacted their ability. Losing Quinn and 'Tree for extended periods of time. That's two of our best three defensive players (Donald being another one in the top three). Those are guys that can make impact, game-changing plays. You can repeat the "next man up" cliche all you want, but the fact is those guys are elite, and part of the reason is because the next man up is never going to be able to do as good of a job as they do. If they were, they wouldn't be the "next" man up - they'd be in there already. Couple that with injuries to guys like TruJo, Long, and so forth, and there is no way you can expect the defense to perform at an elite level. The injuries hurt, and they are beyond the control of the players or coaches. Earlier in the season, when all those guys were healthy, they played some pretty good football. Only once in the first eight games did they give up more than two offensive TD's, In two of those games, they only gave up two TD's, in three more they only gave up one TD. And in two of those games, they only gave up a pair of field goals.

That being said, our defense in its current, injured state, still might not be that bad if we had anything resembling an NFL offense. Hell, if we even had a bad NFL offense they'd be better, but ours is so bad that they have not risen to the level of bad yet. Our offense is so inept that it couldn't score in a whorehouse with five $100 bills hanging out it's zipper. They can barely get a first down, and can't do so with anything remotely resembling consistency. Our rate of 3rd down conversions is historically bad. As such, our defense, already reduced in strength by injuries to some of its best players, spends more and more time on the field, game after game, and they are getting worn out. They get negligible support from the offense, including in today's game (and somehow, still held the Cardinals - the league's #1 offense - to only 10 points at the half).

This defense, players and defensive staff, have no control over the injuries that have impacted them on that side of the ball. Nor do they have any control over the extreme ineptness of an offense that gives them no meaningful support. To blame them for the current woes of the Rams is shortsighted at best, and in my opinion, just completely wrongheaded.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Thanks - most sensible post here.

There is simply no way you can blame the woes of this team on the defense. First of all, we've had a number of injuries - significant ones - that have severely impacted their ability. Losing Quinn and 'Tree for extended periods of time. That's two of our best three defensive players (Donald being another one in the top three). Those are guys that can make impact, game-changing plays. You can repeat the "next man up" cliche all you want, but the fact is those guys are elite, and part of the reason is because the next man up is never going to be able to do as good of a job as they do. If they were, they wouldn't be the "next" man up - they'd be in there already. Couple that with injuries to guys like TruJo, Long, and so forth, and there is no way you can expect the defense to perform at an elite level. The injuries hurt, and they are beyond the control of the players or coaches. Earlier in the season, when all those guys were healthy, they played some pretty good football. Only once in the first eight games did they give up more than two offensive TD's, In two of those games, they only gave up two TD's, in three more they only gave up one TD. And in two of those games, they only gave up a pair of field goals.

That being said, our defense in its current, injured state, still might not be that bad if we had anything resembling an NFL offense. Hell, if we even had a bad NFL offense they'd be better, but ours is so bad that they have not risen to the level of bad yet. Our offense is so inept that it couldn't score in a whorehouse with five $100 bills hanging out it's zipper. They can barely get a first down, and can't do so with anything remotely resembling consistency. Our rate of 3rd down conversions is historically bad. As such, our defense, already reduced in strength by injuries to some of its best players, spends more and more time on the field, game after game, and they are getting worn out. They get negligible support from the offense, including in today's game (and somehow, still held the Cardinals - the league's #1 offense - to only 10 points at the half).

This defense, players and defensive staff, have no control over the injuries that have impacted them on that side of the ball. Nor do they have any control over the extreme ineptness of an offense that gives them no meaningful support. To blame them for the current woes of the Rams is shortsighted at best, and in my opinion, just completely wrongheaded.

But no blamed the defense for the current woes of the team, did they?

That is, unless not simply offering praise constitutes blame.:thinking:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
But no blamed the defense for the current woes of the team, did they?

That is, unless not simply offering praise constitutes blame.:thinking:

It does seem that there is some disappointment in this thread and elsewhere that somehow the D isn't holding up their end of the bargain. And I saw some very negative comments regarding the D in today's game day thread. That baffles me when you consider that the Rams only gave up 10 points to the #1 offense in the first half despite the fact that our own offense seemed to be repelled by the first down marker, much less the end zone.