After strong start, Rams defense appears to be wearing down/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
After strong start, Rams defense appears to be wearing down
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_05939265-9187-5892-baea-f95bb74a8c95.html

After a hard-fought overtime loss in Minnesota, the Rams nonetheless reached their apex defensively.

Despite that bitter 21-18 defeat, the Rams moved up to fifth in the NFL in total defense, looking every bit the snarling, physical unit envisioned when this season of great expectations began three months ago.

But then came Chicago, Baltimore, and Cincinnati. Three veteran, skilled quarterbacks in Jay Cutler, Joe Flacco, and Andy Dalton.

Minus Matt Forte and with a gimpy Alshon Jeffery, the Bears put 37 points and 397 yards on the Rams, including two touchdowns of 80 yards-plus.

Minus Steve Smith and with Justin Forsett out early with a broken arm, Baltimore put up 388 yards and wiped out a 10-point fourth-quarter deficit, winning 16-13 on a walk-off field goal.

Then came Cincy with 376 yards in a 31-7 shellacking of the Rams. Granted, seven of those points came on an interception return for touchdown, but the Bengals were in control offensively.

“For whatever reason, we haven’t held up our end of the bargain against Chicago and last week (vs. Cincinnati),” defensive captain James Laurinaitis said. “And like I said after the Baltimore game, we had a lead going into the fourth quarter — we gotta win that.”

And now, with the NFL’s top-ranked offense — Arizona — coming to town for Sunday’s noon kickoff at Edward Jones Dome, the Rams have fallen to the middle of the pack at No. 13 in total defense.

They have tumbled all the way to 21st in rushing defense, and given up seven touchdown passes in the past three weeks. By way of comparison, the Rams have scored only eight TD passes all season.

“We’ve been just self-reflecting in that defensive room,” Laurinaitis said. “How can we play better? Everyone individually has to do it.

“What am I doing to contribute to these losses? Am I part of the problem? Am I part of the solution? You hope that you have enough guys in there that want to be part of the solution and fix it.”

Yes, it’s come to this. The one thing the Rams could count on all season — a stout defense — seems to be wilting over the second half of the 2015 season. The players and coaches might never admit it, but the defensive unit has been carrying the burden of a struggling offense nearly all season.

The defense has been on the field for an average of 4½ minutes more per game. And nearly 80 plays more over the course of the first 11 games. Cumulatively, it’s as if they’ve played an extra game compared to the offense. As the injuries pile up, the strain may have finally caught up with defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ unit.

“We don’t ever, ever think that,” Williams said. “We really don’t. It doesn’t make a difference if we’ve gotta play 150 snaps; if we’ve gotta play 35 snaps. That doesn’t make any difference.

“When we’re mentally strong, we understand that our job is playing no matter what the situation is, no matter how many snaps we have to play. We have to keep on doing that. So we’ll never use that as an excuse at all. No, we’ve gotta play.”

The Rams were able to withstand the loss of linebacker and leading tackler Alec Ogletree two months ago when the team first played Arizona, thanks to the impressive conversion of Mark Barron from safety to weakside linebacker.

They weathered the storm when defensive end Chris Long suffered a fractured bone in a knee-to-knee collision with Green Bay’s David Bakhtiari and missed the next four games.

But the somewhat mysterious injury woes of defensive end Robert Quinn, a two-time Pro Bowler and one of the league’s elite pass rushers, simply might be too much to overcome.

While applauding the play of Eugene Sims in place of Quinn, coach Jeff Fisher said of Quinn, “We miss him. He’s a difference-maker. He’s one of those guys that can change the game at any point in the game.”

Over the past month and half, Quinn has been variously described as having knee, hip, and back injuries. He never was seen going down with an injury, and there was not an in-game injury announcement at any time. But he hasn’t been the same since the Green Bay game Oct. 11. He didn’t practice during the bye week, nor did several other Rams veterans. At the time, Fisher said some players were merely being rested but others were banged up. With no official injury report that week, there was no way to tell which was which.

During the Cleveland practice week coming out of the bye, Quinn first showed up on the injury report with a knee injury. His playing time against the Browns and San Francisco the following week was cut back to only 28 and 38 snaps respectively. Up to that point, he had been averaging more than 50 plays per game.

Sunday’s game will mark the fourth he has missed in the past five contests. He played a mere 14 defensive snaps against Chicago — his only appearance since the Nov. 1 San Francisco contest.

Fisher, who’s hit-and-miss when it comes to disclosing injury information, said a knee injury initially was Quinn’s issue but the main problem now is a back issue.

Quinn has declined to provide any injury details and the situation may be reaching the point at which the team simply shuts down Quinn for the season. His absence has made it tougher on the pass rush, and tougher on defensive tackle Aaron Donald.

“Any time you lose a playmaker it’s gonna be tough,” Donald said. “He’s a guy that’s a leader, and a guy that makes a lot of plays for us. So other guys have got to step up and continue to do what we’ve been doing.”

Easier said than done, however, when it comes to replacing a player of Quinn’s caliber.

The Rams’ pass rush started the season with a bang, registering six sacks in a 34-31 overtime upset against Seattle in the season opener. Seven games into the season, the Rams were among the league leaders with 26 sacks.

But over the past four games, coinciding with the first game Quinn missed (Minnesota), the Rams have only four sacks. They went sackless last week in Cincinnati, snapping a 22-game streak with at least one sack dating back to last season.

Without a premier rusher on the edge to worry about, opposing teams have been able to concentrate their blocking and pass protection schemes on Donald in the middle. That has made double-teams the order of the day on Donald, the NFL’s defensive rookie of the year in 2014.

“Yeah, I’m getting a little more attention here,” Donald said.

Recently the secondary suffered a blow with the absence of cornerback Trumaine Johnson because of what’s been described as a thigh injury. Johnson was enjoying his most consistent season when he suffered the injury on an interception return against Baltimore.

Teams have picked on his replacement, Marcus Roberson, to a degree, and Johnson is expected to miss the Arizona game as well.

Tough as it’s been, everyone in the NFL copes with injuries. With five games left to play, the Rams must figure out a way to get their mojo back on defense.

“We’ve gotta find a way to get everybody on the same page, just go out there and play good football,” Laurinaitis said. “Not try to do too much. I think a lot of our problems have come from guys trying to make a play, maybe do a little too much.”

And in the NFL, trying to do too much frequently achieves too little.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The defense has been disappointing in recent weeks.

The injuries hurt, but every team is banged up.

FrankenRam

Starter
While it's discouraging overall, it's not really all that surprising is it.(?) I mean, how many 3 & outs has the O put up? Even if the O weren't scoring any more points, but were at least gaining more first downs, the D would have a little more time to do more than barely catch their breath.

Edit: To my point....the Rams O ranks 29th in '3 & out' efficiency...
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/three-and-out-percentage/2015/

Side note...hard to believe there are 3 teams even worse....with Denver being one of them.,

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
All teams have to either carry the offense or the defense at times and the Ram's offense isn't capable of carrying anything.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
While it's discouraging overall, it's not really all that surprising is it.(?) I mean, how many 3 & outs has the O put up? Even if the O weren't scoring any more points, but were at least gaining more first downs, the D would have a little more time to do more than barely catch their breath.

Edit: To my point....the Rams O ranks 29th in '3 & out' efficiency...
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/three-and-out-percentage/2015/

Side note...hard to believe there are 3 teams even worse....with Denver being one of them.,

I'm actually surprised the time of possession is not larger than 4.5 minutes. Makes me wonder if that stat is correct.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I understand that the name of the game is to limit scores. But, with all the expenditure on the defense (staff and players) I was really hoping for more of a "don't break defense" instead of a "bend but don't break" style of play.

Carolina this year. Seattle & 49ers of a couple years ago are examples.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
It's no surprise really. The offense can't sustain a drive that lasts 5 minutes, of course the defense is gassed by the 3rd quarter. We know teams are going to sell out to stop Gurley early. There's only one way to solve it, gotta put some yards up through the air.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I understand that the name of the game is to limit scores. But, with all the expenditure on the defense (staff and players) I was really hoping for more of a "don't break defense" instead of a "bend but don't break" style of play.

Carolina this year. Seattle & 49ers of a couple years ago are examples.

I agree. While the defense has been good... It's not exactly felt dominant. I think it's that bend-style you refer to. We just don't seem to generate the number of 3-and-outs the truly dominant defenses do.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Your offense has to have the ability to do something the Rams offense of late does nothing. The 85 Bears had Walter Payton and Jim McMahon and could make plays and the 2000 Raven defense had less on offense, but that offense could make plays when it mattered and just enough to keep that defense rested.

The Ram offense is the worst offense most of us have seen in a very long time and there are no indications that it will get any better. Hopefully, somehow, someway, in the future the offense will get better, but by the time that happens most likely the defense will need major repair and thus is the life of a Ram fan.

Memphis Ram

Legend
That Ravens offense might be a little better, but they were still pretty bad. Of course that 2000 defense had 28 INTs compared to the Rams 9 to date. And opponents completed only about 56% of their passes compared to a league worst 69.3% to date.

That said the Rams offense might rival the 1999 Bucs. But, the defense sure won't.:(

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That said the Rams offense might rival the 1999 Bucs. But, the defense sure won't.:(

Good comparison you might be right defense has had a few injuries with Quinn (huge) and Johnson of late which has actually exposed Roberson. In the end though, if this offense could have shown anything the defense IMO would be better.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
There are only 11 starters on D.

And we've lost some key players since opening day.

Ogletree
Long (for a key stretch)
Quinn (for an even longer stretch)
TruJo
J Lau has played with a dislocated elbow.

That seems like a lot to overcome to me. We were kicking butt when healthy, weren't we?

And the problem has been compounded by the most pathetic O we've seen in a looooong time.

fearsomefour

Legend
It's no surprise really. The offense can't sustain a drive that lasts 5 minutes, of course the defense is gassed by the 3rd quarter. We know teams are going to sell out to stop Gurley early. There's only one way to solve it, gotta put some yards up through the air.
Very true.
It is amazing that things have gotten so bad that successes on O are being measured by picking up a first down or converting one third down conversion.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Don't forget the starting CB EJ Gaines loss. Overall this defense has disappointed me. Those big inside runs against the Brockers/Donald/Fairley/JL middle is an issue for me. Way too much talent & money investments being paid there to have that ongoing. Is it Gregg or the players?

With the season coming once again to a early close while other teams run on into the playoffs is there a real need to rush Alec Ogletree back ? Could Akeem Ayers, Alec Ogletree or Bryce Hagar be our future starting LBer?

Next season this defense will take some more hits in free agency. I am very sure many of these TEN UFA's will desire to land finally on a winning team. The optimism that I had early that this Ram Org. would retain some of the best Ram UFA's in my mind is now disappeared. Rams are on the hook with non producers owing Robinson 13 mil, Foles 9 mil & Saffold 6 mil.in 2016 they will remain. Three other Rams who contracts are way out of line with on field production are Chris Long's 14.25 mil for one more season, we can release JL & Cook in a few months & get back close to 31 million back into the cap bank.
UFA's
Nick Fairley DT
William Hayes DE
Eugene Sims DE
Mark Barron SS
Trumaine Johnson CB
Janoris Jenkins CB

Greg Zuerlein K
Tim Barnes C
Wes Welker WR
Brian Quick WR

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think the problem is we thought we had a dominant top five defense. We have a pretty good defense but its not top tier. Then the offense comes along and puts so much pressure on the defense it finally started to leak. I know we had injuries, most importantly to one of our best defensive players. But good teams overcome injuries with a good system and good coaching. We are not one of those teams. All it took was the grind of a long season and a few injuries and we became a bottom tier team.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thanks for the clarification as usual flv(y). With 5 of the 6 current UFA starters going into UFA ville..... Cap funds will get drained fast enough trying to retain this better starters ....to be eyeing some needed cap space funds.

Those Can't "un cut" players will get looked at earlier IMO. I disagree strongly on a somewhat healthy Saffold due to the deplorable current condition of our OL. For Saffold to be released IMO would indicate his shoulders are non working condition & he has lost massive amounts of Muscle Mass,then I will fully agree with you.

The Chris Long issue is sure to be a good discussion in the coming months while we are watching the playoffs & the Championship games. With the two future UFA's in a few months presently starting @ DE's (Hayes & Sims). Long has been hurt for much of this and last season & now the multiple nagging injuries to Quinn adds to the twist and turns upcoming to flavor the pot. Throw in the two youngsters DE's Longacre & Westbrook.

Last edited:

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
well let's see by odds alone if your defense is on the field twice as much as the offense they're gonna risk getting more injuries and will wear down faster. go figure.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

You will not get me to disagree with you on your analysis of Saffold play since 2013....I have posted your thoughts many times over this fall being in agreement with you here. Saffold is NOT worth what he is getting in salary. I think we have back ourselves into a rotten corner here with this OL. Mainly in major issues @ OLT and the overall YOUTH of this future 2016 OL. Those two issues play right into Saffold's good luck for his future millions earned in 2016.