AD's contract may be in the works...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
THE rarest commodity right now in the NFL is a pass rushing 3T who can hold his own in the run game. Those guys are more rare than LTs, pass rushers, and CBs and have been for some time. I recall Polian discussing this in an interview at least a decade ago, where they were talking about team building. QB is of course the top priority, as is LT, in terms of translating to wins, but that interior pass rusher is the most difficult thing to find.

Also, in recent years with the trend towards quick passing games and horizontal spreading of defenses the interior pressure is more and more important and thus more coveted. Donald is exactly what every team wishes they had. Rams will pay the dude and build that defense around him, and with a little pressure coming more consistently from the edges teams will find it more and more difficult to do what they've been doing with constant double and even triple teams.

Great days ahead with this dude playing for Wade Phillips.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I'm sorry but you're insane if you don't think resigning AD is a must. The guy is a HOF talent and will arguably be a top 5 DT all-time when it's all said and done, if of course he stays healthy and continues on his havoc.

Also, Brady did not win the SB for the pats. The falcons choked and the pats made crucial plays and conversations with their backs to the wall. Brady=OVERRATED in the big game (and I'm not even a Brady hater).

Everything you just said lost all validity when you said Brady is overrated lol. I'm a pats and Tom Brady hater, but overrated? Come on man that's asinine. That's all I'm gonna say on that one.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like @Psycho_X says, pay the man now while the QB pay is minimal.
Hopefully by the time his contract is up winning is more important than $$ and he is reasonable. If he wants to cash in each time like Julius Peppers, and he has every right to, he may end up with as many SB trophies as Peppers too

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Everything you just said lost all validity when you said Brady is overrated lol. I'm a pats and Tom Brady hater, but overrated? Come on man that's asinine. That's all I'm gonna say on that one.

Buddy, read the context in which it is mentioned. Brady is arguably the best to do it, no doubt, but in the big game his numbers are not incredible. Take a look at his playoff numbers as the years have gone on and you will see numbers that show the truth. Yes, he is a tremendous talent with all the postseason records, but look at his performances in games that count most.

If Hightower doesn't make the big play each of the last two Super Bowls or Butler doesn't make that goal line pick, we are looking at Brady entirely different. TEAM effort helped cement his legacy. He again, is however a top 5 qb all time. As I mentioned I'm not a Brady hater, instead a Pats organization hater.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Definitely time to get a deal done and lock Donald up. What that takes and how the team sells it to him in order to keep everyone happy is why those FO guys get the big money. There isn't a player out there who doesn't want to get paid, but they all want to win too. Understanding the dynamics of the team and salary cap is something the guys like Demoff have to figure out and know the players to make the sell.

Is a DT worth $20mil a year? Not on every team or any team in the past but on this Rams team with this DT, yes.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't really know what you're saying here.

NFL has a hard cap - and every year in the NFL is a different, well, year. Moreso than other sports. Your fortunes can turn around in one year, so looking at a contract beyond what the player is making THAT year isn't what I'm talking about.

$12 million for Revis (at that time) was a bargain. If he was paid $12 million, that's not a bad deal. That's completely different from paying a defensive player $20+ million per year, which is what the Rams are facing. What the article shows is that even though QB salaries keep going up, the highest % of the salary cap for a QB was in 1994 - most starting QBs these days that are being signed to contracts are in that same % - Aaron Donald will be around that too - and I just think it could be a mistake to pay any one player that much money, unless they're Aaron Rodgers - but even then, the Packers haven't made the super bowl since he signed his mega contract.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale

Huh? What did he just say?

I kid @flv . Really a good explanation. I just need a spreadsheet to fully understand. Thanks.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Simple answer is yes. The Top paid defenders in the league like Miller and JJ Watt have plenty of expensive talent around them on both sides of the ball. The key is getting value by drafting well and resigning cornerstones and Donald is certainly a cornerstone player worth that value. If patriots had Aaron Donald and let him walk after his rookie deal it would be equivalent to letting Gronk walk after his rookie deal. You dont let transcendent talents like those guys get away.

See there in lies the difference, they never let Gronk get there. They have him at 8M per. That being said, they traded Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, let Hightower test the waters in FA, let Logan Ryan walk and franchised Malcolm Butler. If a player gets to a point like Donald and its crazy money, they let the player walk. I dont think they would pay Donald if he was a Patriot........it also explains why they were 60M under the cap heading into FA.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Aaron Donald potentially making more than our teams QB isn't going to make it so we can't win a super bowl. Plenty of teams have paid elite defenders on their roster higher than a WB or others on offense and won. A cap hit that high isn't going to be easy to manage but it's possible to manage.
200.webp

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Like I said on another thread, pay Donald seven years at whatever the fuck he wants. He's more than worth it. Hell, I'd call him the best defensive player in football. Don't let him go anywhere else.