AD's contract may be in the works...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Can't wait to see AD locked down. Hopefully it happens this offseason.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
AD is gonna break the bank.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
He could get more than Von Miller but I think that's a good ball park. Dude has been a consistent top 5 defensive player pretty much from the moment he put horns on. I don't care what the deal is. Don't ever let him suit up in another teams uniform.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I absolutely love AD. Probably my favorite Ram since Marshall Faulk, so I can;t believe I am going to ask this.....but does paying a DT/DE 20+ mil/yr make sense? I guess it does if Goff pans out, since AD would essentially be getting the Franchise QB $ until Goff's second contract. Kinda hamstrings the Rams from signing any other TOP FAs I guess, but what do I know.....

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I absolutely love AD. Probably my favorite Ram since Marshall Faulk, so I can;t believe I am going to ask this.....but does paying a DT/DE 20+ mil/yr make sense? I guess it does if Goff pans out, since AD would essentially be getting the Franchise QB $ until Goff's second contract. Kinda hamstrings the Rams from signing any other TOP FAs I guess, but what do I know.....
I tend to agree with this sentiment. I understand Aaron Donald is an all world player, but he hasn't helped put numbers in the win column. New England won a Super Bowl because of their QB. Not their DT.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm sorry but you're insane if you don't think resigning AD is a must. The guy is a HOF talent and will arguably be a top 5 DT all-time when it's all said and done, if of course he stays healthy and continues on his havoc.

Also, Brady did not win the SB for the pats. The falcons choked and the pats made crucial plays and conversations with their backs to the wall. Brady=OVERRATED in the big game (and I'm not even a Brady hater).

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

Of course he's worth it. Front load his contract like a mother fucker in a year we won't need it elsewhere, and then after that, his cap hit going onward won't be difficult to get around at all.

I tend to agree with this sentiment. I understand Aaron Donald is an all world player, but he hasn't helped put numbers in the win column. New England won a Super Bowl because of their QB. Not their DT.

So it's the future first ballot hall of famers fault our offense was shit and we had the worst coaching staff in the league?

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
If Jared Goff is ever worth what Aaron Donald is, (and I hope he will be ), we will be Golden...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Of course he's worth it. Front load his contract like a mother freaker in a year we won't need it elsewhere, and then after that, his cap hit going onward won't be difficult to get around at all.

So it's the future first ballot hall of famers fault our offense was crap and we had the worst coaching staff in the league?
No, but I know you don't really believe a DT is more important then a QB. Trust me, I love AD and hope he stays a Ram forever. But in the history of great teams, 99% of them would have been great regardless of their DT. I just don't think it's that important. Denver and Seattle both had one of the best defenses of this generation and neither had an all world, all everything defensive tackle.

My point is, we don't need him to win a Super Bowl. We need Goff to be great.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And Denver won a super bowl because of their pass rusher not because of their QB. Also one player can't win games all alone. Just wait to see what Wade does with him, but don't wait too long. This season will drive the price up.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course he's worth it. Front load his contract like a mother freaker in a year we won't need it elsewhere, and then after that, his cap hit going onward won't be difficult to get around at all.

So it's the future first ballot hall of famers fault our offense was crap and we had the worst coaching staff in the league?

Not his fault at all - but that's the point.

Paying a guy $20 million (aside from elite QBs) just doesn't usually work out. He's the best DT in the game, and is on his way to a HOF career. The only reason this makes sense for us is because Goff is relatively cheap.

Having said that, Donald can be the best player in NFL history and if we don't have a decent offense, we go nowhere. If you had the opportunity to trade Donald for a package that would drastically improve other positions, it might be worth looking at.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And Denver won a super bowl because of their pass rusher not because of their QB. Also one player can't win games all alone. Just wait to see what Wade does with him, but don't wait too long. This season will drive the price up.

Yes but they won that with Miller before his mega contract. The number of teams that won a superbowl with an elite defender and poor QB can be counted on one hand, and none of those guys made $20 million per year.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

Simple answer is yes. The Top paid defenders in the league like Miller and JJ Watt have plenty of expensive talent around them on both sides of the ball. The key is getting value by drafting well and resigning cornerstones and Donald is certainly a cornerstone player worth that value. If patriots had Aaron Donald and let him walk after his rookie deal it would be equivalent to letting Gronk walk after his rookie deal. You dont let transcendent talents like those guys get away.

Ram65

Legend

Yes front load it like you say. Half way through a 6 year the contract it will look reasonable.

The only other option is to trade him for a boat load of picks. Wouldn't sit well with the fan base. They would have to trade him now.

What would they get on trade and extend contract deal?