Adrian Peterson Arrested.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
You impacted both boys. Just giving each a new set of events & behaviors to perceive changed the way their brains are wired and broke-down existing network structures. Instead of reinforcing their existing behavioral patters, you gave them new one. I don't see it as batting 500 at all. Both kids benefited, and you benefited from both of them as well.

Bottom line, if more people did what you did the world would be a much better place.
Thanks brotha.
I look forward to reading that book.

fearsomefour

Legend
I have been silent on this subject, but I just want to throw my opinion out there.

When I grew up, I got "discipline" a few times, but after that I knew how to act so it never was a consistent thing. And that lies in the line b/w discipline and abuse. People are still going to believe in the old school way of discipline, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. The intentions are not to be an abuser, but to get the message across: bad actions have consequences. Having said that, I do think physically striking a kid should be an absolute last resort, if at all.

Other people are gonna throw the word abuse around too much. Abuse, is IMO, something so terrible and disgusting that it endangers a child's life, causes fear to the kid, leaves much more than some temporary scars, and it occurs on a regular basis.

I work in a school system, albeit just a sub, I've worked with many 4-6 year olds. You know what the best way is to discipline a kid is? Stand your ground. Don't give in, and IMO that's what many parents do nowadays. A kid throws a tantrum the parent throws them that piece of candy, buy them something, give their phone back, whatever. Tantrums are what kids do. Let them have their tantrum and they'll get over it. They aren't gonna hold a grudge.

I think another problem is how a parent is a seen in public when their kids act up. On one hand, the public wants the kid to behave, but on the other if the parents take some sort of action (even so much as gripping the kid's arm firmly and dragging them out) it can be interpreted as abuse. Then you got instant communication so that can be reported. It's a very dicey situation.
Yeah, I agree with this.
People are very fast and apt to judge other now in relation to personal things. Perception is not always reality. Looking at stats the safest place a child will ever be is in school, the most dangerous is their home. That does not mean most homes are dangerous. I agree with your definition of abuse. The rest gets into a murky area. It is not a pleasant thing to think about it.
I do remember my son bringing home a form one or two years from elementary school for a parent to sign if their son was playing football. Kids would show up with bruises all over their bodies when football season was going on and the school got tired of having teachers bring it up. I could never decide who this made look bad....parents, the school or football.