Adam Gase thoughts on Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nanotech

Rookie
The next 4 games are brutal. The delusional side of me (after smoking some of Snoop's finest) says, they will win them. The rational side of me says we aren't going to fare well, and the last two games of the season, against SF and AZ, will be for pride and building towards the off-season. I really hope I'm wrong. I think the only way to get into the playoffs is by winning the Division, so Seattle needs to fall off a cliff or get swept out to sea. I don't see them losing more than two of their remaining games. Oh well. Let's see what this weekend brings. Take it one step at a time.

So, So tired of building towards the off-season.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sorry while I do agree that Goff was calm, cool and collected under duress, IMO, he only threw once good pass that was on the run to Kendricks, every other throw was uneventful and not one pass down the seam, not one, now, some will blame Boras, however, IMO, let the kid throw. He's supposed to be a gunslinger, so unleash him. Goff won't learn anything if you don't let him air it out and throw in all areas of the field..If I see one more out pattern to the sideline I'm going regurgitate all over the place.

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Sorry while I do agree that Goff was calm, cool and collected under duress, IMO, he only threw once good pass that was on the run to Kendricks, every other throw was uneventful and not one pass down the seam, not one, now, some will blame Boras, however, IMO, let the kid throw. He's supposed to be a gunslinger, so unleash him. Goff won't learn anything if you don't let him air it out and throw in all areas of the field..If I see one more out pattern to the sideline I'm going regurgitate all over the place.

Fisher said that they were holding him back due to the rain.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Case would have been sacked 5 or 6 times with all of those blitzes. Goff has great feet I was impressed with that let's see what he does in the dome with no rain

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Fisher said that they were holding him back due to the rain.
upon-us-all-a-little-rain-must-fall.jpg

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Better question for you. Do you honestly think the way the offense was going under Case we were going anywhere this season?
The Cardinals lost so it would have been nice to win. What I saw on Sunday was a team that has a lot of problems but the QB position is not one of them.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Cardinals lost so it would have been nice to win. What I saw on Sunday was a team that has a lot of problems but the QB position is not one of them.
Heh that really isn't an answer to my question :D

We all want to win. Personally it didn't look like Case had any shot of doing that better than Goff.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Case plays the game I think we see a different gameplan... Does Case win the game? Hard to say, it would probably have been something similar, although you may have seen Fisher go for it on that 4th and 1, who knows.

Now if you were to run the exact same plays but have Case in at QB instead of Goff, I don't think you would have seen much of a difference. There were some throws that Case may have connected on that Goff didn't, but there were a lot of things out there that Goff did that Case can't do.

Like what.? Im only asking cause I didnt see Goff do anytjing that Case havent done for this team. Scramble for a first down, Case did that dont throw the ball more than 10 yards Case did that too. That was my whole problem with the Goff pick. Not the player but this Offense I saw this coming we already had Case and Mannion why waste premium picks when the offense does not require or want a talent like Goff especially when I felt like we already had a similar talent.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like what.? Im only asking cause I didnt see Goff do anytjing that Case havent done for this team. Scramble for a first down, Case did that dont throw the ball more than 10 yards Case did that too. That was my whole problem with the Goff pick. Not the player but this Offense I saw this coming we already had Case and Mannion why waste premium picks when the offense does not require or want a talent like Goff especially when I felt like we already had a similar talent.

Cause hopefully Fisher is outta here after this season and a real coach will be employed who will use the talents of all the players to their maximum.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like what.? Im only asking cause I didnt see Goff do anytjing that Case havent done for this team. Scramble for a first down, Case did that dont throw the ball more than 10 yards Case did that too.

I saw Goff do multiple things Case couldn't have done. Goff's command and movement in the pocket are far better than Case's.

That was my whole problem with the Goff pick. Not the player but this Offense I saw this coming we already had Case and Mannion why waste premium picks when the offense does not require or want a talent like Goff especially when I felt like we already had a similar talent.

We have no similar talent to Goff on this team. This offense does require a talent like Goff's. That's why we're currently ranked 32nd in the NFL. It was Goff's first game, and it was in pouring rain. We didn't draft Goff for one game. We didn't draft Goff for one season. We didn't draft Goff for one contract.

Goff's numbers from his first start are almost identical to Russell Wilson's numbers from his first start. I guess it's a bad thing that the Seahawks didn't make their determination and throw in the towel on him after one start. Especially considering that they went super conservative, like we did, with their offensive gameplan in that game.

Here's hoping we see something different against New Orleans.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw zip on the ball like I have not this year. From the first pass I said out load wow he gets that ball out fast. As many have said its one game and one game tells you nothing. Lets see where he is at on 1-1-17 and lets see if everyone still has the same opinion. Fishers "O" or not if he is good as we hope and as @jrry32 knows he is then he will shine. The key will to keep the "D" together and add a piece here and there for both sides of the ball.
I am again hopeful!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw Goff do multiple things Case couldn't have done. Goff's command and movement in the pocket are far better than Case's.

We have no similar talent to Goff on this team. This offense does require a talent like Goff's. That's why we're currently ranked 32nd in the NFL. It was Goff's first game, and it was in pouring rain. We didn't draft Goff for one game. We didn't draft Goff for one season. We didn't draft Goff for one contract.

Goff's numbers from his first start are almost identical to Russell Wilson's numbers from his first start. I guess it's a bad thing that the Seahawks didn't make their determination and throw in the towel on him after one start. Especially considering that they went super conservative, like we did, with their offensive gameplan in that game.

Here's hoping we see something different against New Orleans.

I wouldnt say his command of the huddle is better than case his pocket awareness and moving away from the blitz was better than Case's especially these last few games. But we will have to disagree on Mannion and likely we will never know but thats besides the point. Until Fisher trust his offense to do more than throw 4 yard routes he is a wasted pick. Maybe it changes but after 5 yrs im not holding my breath

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So do you think Case would have lost the game yesterday?

Definitely. He has not been good under pressure and he does not avoid the pressure as well as Goff. Plus Goff completed some passes into very tight windows while under duress.

That is mostly on the game plan, which made sense. Plus the few times Goff throw past ten yards his accuracy was not there. Is that because of the rain? Being uncomfortable in his first start? I don't know.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Early in the game I was sitting with my son and pointing out the many things that Goff was doing that Keenum can't, or hasn't. The avoiding pressure and still making a catchable pass was one. He was more decisive in everything he did too. You can really see the potential. I just wish he had more games under his belt already. Waiting for the schedule to get easy was senseless. If they wanted that he should have started right after the first three games.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me be Devils advocate real quick..

Its not hard to throw a pass in a "very"tight window when its only 4 yards. And he was very decisive because he was locking onto his first read and thats it. There was no progression in any of his throws besides the scramble pass to Kendricks. He does has a quick release but on some of those passes he threw them too quick and didnt let his receivers get deep enough in their route before the pressure came. And most of all his throws were ugly wobbly throws even short distance. In his first start nothing screamed out special to me. Hopefully week 2 it does.and to be honest i dont care about wins and losses anymore i just want this offense to open up so we can see what Talent Goff really has and for this team to be fun to watch again

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Yeah but did he outplay Case? That game was important for some of us that hadn't givin up on the season yet....well it's a done deal now. The fat lady sang all night long.
Playing better than Case? look at this way. you just saw his floor. Plus, you were delusional if you thought Case was getting you to the playoffs.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Goff's movement in the pocket is far and away better than Case and Sean. Goff has elite pocket mobility, the pocket movement and presence, the ability to slide away from pressure is something you usually see from the top tier veteran QB's.

Keenum can't extend plays like that, or move through the pocket, I haven't seen anything from Mannion to suggest he does either. The only thing that case has on Goff at this point is experience and a slightly better command of the offense (I don't know what type of command Goff has, he looked good but we'll need to see more games).... I don't think there is anything that Mannion has above Goff at this point .

Let me be Devils advocate real quick..

Its not hard to throw a pass in a "very"tight window when its only 4 yards. And he was very decisive because he was locking onto his first read and thats it. There was no progression in any of his throws besides the scramble pass to Kendricks. He does has a quick release but on some of those passes he threw them too quick and didnt let his receivers get deep enough in their route before the pressure came. And most of all his throws were ugly wobbly throws even short distance. In his first start nothing screamed out special to me. Hopefully week 2 it does.and to be honest i dont care about wins and losses anymore i just want this offense to open up so we can see what Talent Goff really has and for this team to be fun to watch again

It's very hard to throw into tight windows, especially at close range because the margin of error is so small, there isn't going to be much separation. Goff had some solid ball placement for the most part, but he does have plenty of room to improve there, which I would expect.

I strongly disagree about his throws being ugly and wobbly, and you can see on his second drop back he goes through progressions, slides in the pocket and then throws the ball away when he doesn't have anything.

He wasn't lights out (obviously) but he showed a lot of good things that should excite fans. He's on track to be a good one.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Case can definitely extend plays and we have seen that this year i definitely agree about Goff being better avoiding the rush the Keenum. Thats what I expected from him for being taller Keenum just couldnt see. I think Mannions ability to avoid the rush is better in the pocket then either of the others. In college and in Preseason we saw this. Goff is more dangerous outside the pocket extending plays like we saw this sunday. He threw some ducks out there no doubt about that. And on those tight throws its easier to throw in to tight windows the ball gets there a lot quicker especially when you throwing 4 yard slants all game. Im not putting the blame on Goff im just saying he played the game he was asked but all week we heard fisher saying they wasnt go scale back and they went all the way back. Heres looking forward to week 2 of Goff I want to see something special from the guy whether we win or lose. And i didnt see anything special about him in his first game.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Case would have been sacked 5 or 6 times with all of those blitzes. Goff has great feet I was impressed with that let's see what he does in the dome with no rain
That's what I was thinking. Case ran in to a couple sacks a game. Goff did it once, and made sure he didn't do it again...