About the AD contract impasse...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
IMO.

AD's contract should tell us a lot about Demoff.

Will it go the way of ED?

Or will he be a Ram forever.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Im hoping any concerns he has with the team are gone and he's just waiting for Mack to sign so he can sign for more.

I really hope Mack isn't waiting for AD because everyone loses in that game of chicken...

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im hoping any concerns he has with the team are gone and he's just waiting for Mack to sign so he can sign for more.

I really hope Mack isn't waiting for AD because everyone loses in that game of chicken...

Actually, I think both the Rams and their fans win in that game of chicken, Mac.

Think about it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Actually, I think both the Rams and their fans win in that game of chicken, Mac.

Think about it.

I don't want AD to hold out again. The D took a few games to adjust with him in the lineup and he missed a game.

Not sure how we win if that happens.

And when AD has another monster season, we're stuck with the Franchise Tag and at that point why shouldn't AD play for a year or two at the Tag and then test FA.

That's bad jujus....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't want AD to hold out again. The D took a few games to adjust with him in the lineup and he missed a game.

And when AD has another monster season, we're stuck with the Franchise Tag and at that point why shouldn't AD play for a year or two at the Tag and then test FA.

That's bad jujus....

Don’t know about the bad juju, but the Rams save money the longer AD drags this out. Even the eventual franchise tag is cheaper than they’re offering him. Win.

AD will still be motivated to play his best.

We fans get to enjoy watching his play. Win.

AD is the only one that would be better off extending. All other interested parties are winners in this self inflicted AD standoff.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

That's bad jujus....

Will see what happens. I think even if he does not play in the preseason it doesn’t hurt that much. Aaron Donald is a stud.
When he sat out last season other players got some good experience. SMART got some good reps in.

nighttrain

Legend

That's bad jujus....
AD is signed for next year, then could be tagged for two years, that's a lot less than 60 mil for those tthree years, and 20 mil a year is the number most talked about
train

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I am insanely conflicted.

Donald is clearly the best at his position. But, I have a REALLY hard time paying his position at the levels we are talking - even as good as he is.

He might be worth it, but the rest of the roster will have less to work with.

We can only afford so many big contracts. Is DT a place we can put one?

If someone wanted to package some serious premium picks for him, I’d have to listen.

:hiding:

Now... if we can front load his deal, to ensure space for later... I’d do that.
As tough as it may seem, this is certainly something to think about.
As much as we all love AD, cost can't be ignored. Drastically over paying for him is tempting.
The fair price for a talent like him on the d line? I'm not sure where you set the cap

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As tough as it may seem, this is certainly something to think about.
As much as we all love AD, cost can't be ignored. Drastically over paying for him is tempting.
The fair price for a talent like him on the d line? I'm not sure where you set the cap

Yeah any player, to include AD for that matter, can price themselves off a team. But you know at some point Demoff needs to pay SOMEONE. And hopefully it's going to be someone good, vs what recent history has been.

I mean what was the grand total on Tavon and Ogletree last year? They have to prioritize and pay players, that's a requirement to win. Key is paying the RIGHT players and minimizing cap hit on the JAGs. AD is one of the RIGHT guys to pay.

Demoff has just as much to prove here really soon as anyone else around the Rams organization; that he can get this stuff done. I don't blame the contracts he's gotten done on him, but when you start considering the guys who left, and the guys who might be leaving now, if you have a guy who can't get key difference makers inked you're going to be limited in how high your organization can rise.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
there is a cap amigo, and the more i think on it, giving AD 20 or more mil a year might not be the best course for the Rams, love AD, But i love the Rams more...
train

Yeah, I would love to see AD in horns for his whole career. But the fact is, there's only so much to go around with the cap. As good as he is, DT's can't impact the game like an quarterback can. Or even a running back for that matter.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yeah any player, to include AD for that matter, can price themselves off a team. But you know at some point Demoff needs to pay SOMEONE. And hopefully it's going to be someone good, vs what recent history has been.

I mean what was the grand total on Tavon and Ogletree last year? They have to prioritize and pay players, that's a requirement to win. Key is paying the RIGHT players and minimizing cap hit on the JAGs. AD is one of the RIGHT guys to pay.

Demoff has just as much to prove here really soon as anyone else around the Rams organization; that he can get this stuff done. I don't blame the contracts he's gotten done on him, but when you start considering the guys who left, and the guys who might be leaving now, if you have a guy who can't get key difference makers inked you're going to be limited in how high your organization can rise.
I think we're all expecting around 20 mill a year. Which he reportedly turned down last year. (We don't know the exact numbers)
What if his asking price is above 25 mill?
I think at that point, we'd have to consider going in a different direction.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think we're all expecting around 20 mill a year. Which he reportedly turned down last year. (We don't know the exact numbers)
I want to hear the true details before I say Yes or No, But Donald does bring a lot to the Teams!! I want him as a Life-Long Ram, just like Merlin Olsen!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don’t know about the bad juju, but the Rams save money the longer AD drags this out. Even the eventual franchise tag is cheaper than they’re offering him. Win.

AD will still be motivated to play his best.

We fans get to enjoy watching his play. Win.

AD is the only one that would be better off extending. All other interested parties are winners in this self inflicted AD standoff.

Your forgetting Todd Gurley is a FA the following year.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I want AD to be a Ram for his entire career. That is all.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

If I'm the GM and he demands something over the top, I'd trade him yes. At that point you really don't have a choice as it's better to get return from an elite player before he hits the FA window and loses value. But hopefully he won't do that.

HellRam

Starter

That's what I'm worried about as well. It seems like something is holding up this whole deal. If Donald remains unsigned through free agency. I'm afraid he just might be asking too much. Hopefully that's not the case.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd like to see a happily paid AD the next 4-5 years.....hopefully he's at the top of his game for more than 3 of them. I'd pay him whatever the market dictates.....so that's about $20-22 a season.

Whether it’s fair or not, the Rams FO has significant incentive to let things stay as-is. Especially given the monster contracts coming up for Gurley and Goff, it must be awfully tempting to keep Donald for 3 years at an average of 13M per. Not saying it’s the “right” thing, but...
not inconceivable that AD gets stuck with being underpaid for 3 more years.
No fair...nor "right....and it could lead to problems....not only with Donald...but future players...
You can't treat your players like that if you want to win.
So true I put it in big print baby....turning into a money grubbing org. IMO...and to the players. You guys haven't seen how you need to buy personal seating lic. then have to actually pay for the tickets too?!? And yall skimping on AD....WTF?!?

point i was trying for was that despite SB and his salary, Vkes had q great defense without a Donald
Because they have top players on every level. Strong up the middle...great D-Line....excellent LB's....great Safety and shutdown corner....dude outta FSU is gonna get paid....so will Anthony Barr....

If we wanna stay competitive.....pay these guys that perform.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to see a happily paid AD the next 4-5 years.....hopefully he's at the top of his game for more than 3 of them. I'd pay him whatever the market dictates.....so that's about $20-22 a season.

No fair...nor "right....and it could lead to problems....not only with Donald...but future players...
So true I put it in big print baby....turning into a money grubbing org. IMO...and to the players. You guys haven't seen how you need to buy personal seating lic. then have to actually pay for the tickets too?!? And yall skimping on AD....WTF?!?

Because they have top players on every level. Strong up the middle...great D-Line....excellent LB's....great Safety and shutdown corner....dude outta FSU is gonna get paid....so will Anthony Barr....

Time for an 8 year contract, 22 million per year...
~LACHAMP46 and Me (screw blue font)

nighttrain

Legend

With our off season moves i'd bet with a new nose tackle and ILB or two we will rival the Vikes on D without Donald, with AD = the best D in the NFL. Does AD sign for 20 mil ok, does he want more, needs thinkin on
train

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
IDK train....you can't continue to lose clubhouse leaders....not paying players got us in trouble in the 90's.....Demoff is acting like Shaw and Georgia

Does AD sign for 20 mil ok, does he want more
Suh got $26 million a season. Donald is better than Suh. And I like Suh....wanted him over Sammy B. Hell, I'd take him now.