Aaron Donald Defensive Player of the Year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I mean these awards are cool and all, but hot damn that Kay Adams is a smoke show!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Congrats to my man AD! And congrats to TG as well, since we know the MVP will of course go to a QB once again!

Now get another great draft done and build around these dudes.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Way to go Aaron! Best player in the league?

I will be curious to see how many Rams make the top 100 this year.

I would place Rams as follows:

• 1. Aaron Donald
  • 7. Todd Gurley
  • 8. Johnny Hekker :sneaky:
  • 56. Andrew Whitworth
  • 78. Robert Woods
  • 80. Michael Brockers
  • 82. Roger Saffold
  • 85. Lamarcus Joyner

What do you think?

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Aaron-Donald-wins-2017-Defensive-Player-of-the-Year/d09a9680-99b1-4bcd-bc3c-f0eac6bbed53

Aaron Donald

Donald noted that he was feeling a bit emotional after receiving his first Defensive Player of the Year award.

“It’s just a dream come true,” Donald said. “Words can’t really express how I’m feeling right now. Trying to hold back the tears, trying to man up a little bit. But it’s truly a blessing.”

The former AP Defensive Rookie of the Year had a stellar 2017, despite playing just 14 games in the regular season. Donald tied a career high with 11.0 sacks and led the league with 91 quarterback pressures, according to Pro Football Focus. That performance made him the first interior lineman to win Defensive Player of the Year since Warren Sapp in 1999.

Donald said knowing that means, “Everything. That’s one of the best to ever do it. So, even for my name to be next to that guy’s name that’s beyond a blessing. My dad’s been telling me since I was 12 years old working out in my basement, trying to work to get to this point — hard work pays off. You put the body of work and it’s going to pay off for you. It’s just been paying off big.”

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...donald-named-nfl-defensive-player-of-the-year

Aaron Donald named NFL Defensive Player of the Year

• By Nick Shook NFL.com
  • Published: Feb. 3, 2018 at 06:24 p.m.

Aaron Donald didn't lead the NFL in sacks, tackles, or forced fumbles (almost). It doesn't matter.

Donald is the best defensive player in the NFL.

The Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle was officially crowned as such on Saturday when he was named 2017 NFL Defensive Player of the Year by the Associated Press at the seventh-annual NFL Honors in Minneapolis.

Donald plays a position that is one of the most difficult to rack up gaudy numbers, yet he impacts a game more than any other player. He routinely rushes right past opposing linemen, using incredible burst. Double teams struggle to contain him. He plays disciplined, powerful defense, engaging a defender and maintaining a neutral position with the ability to shoot either the A or B gaps, depending on where the ballcarrier heads in a technique called "two-gapping."

For those seeking numbers: 32 tackles, 11 sacks, five forced fumbles and one pass defensed (in 14 games). Per Next Gen Stats, he recorded 65 pressures. Pro Football Focus has Donald at 91 total pressures for the season (66 hurries) and rated him as the NFL's most-productive pass rusher. PFF also gave Donald a 99.7 grade -- the best grade for any player in the entire league.

"When I think about Aaron Donald, he's probably in my opinion, the best defensive player I've ever played against in terms of actually playing in a game against," Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson told reporters in December. "That's a pretty big statement; I've played against some really good guys. I think back to my rookie year and my second year when I played against guys like [Navarro] Bowman and [Patrick] Willis and all of those guys are in my head, the top guys I've ever played.

"I think about a guy like Aaron Donald, he's definitely there too as well, so I have tremendous respect for how he plays the game. He's really, really tough, he's really quick, and he's pretty special. You look forward to those matchups just because those are things that you'll remember and those are the things that you'll tell your kids one day 'I played against this guy,' and those are fun things. He's definitely one of those guys that will probably be a Hall of Famer no doubt."

For those seeking the tape, one can cue up his three-sack performance in a dominant win over division-rival Seattle. They can marvel at the quickness with which Donald moves from momentary hesitation to rushing past a Texans lineman on a sack of Tom Savage. But if they truly want to understand Donald's impact, a four-and-a-half-minute highlight of Donald's play in a playoff loss to Atlanta will do the trick:

Donald only recorded a half-sack in that game, and yet, the reel is almost five minutes long. He was constantly harassing Matt Ryan, frequently on the precipice of a quarterback takedown and almost always in the backfield. That game explained Donald in 60 minutes of action.

He even knocked the socks off veteran defensive genius Wade Phillips, who revamped Los Angeles' defense in his first season, switching from a 4-3 to 3-4 and in turn, teaching his personnel to play in a different style. Despite holding out until Sept. 9, Donald was a quick study.

"Aaron Donald, because he's better than everybody, and I didn't know he was better than everybody," Phillips said in December.

He'll have to continue to battle for a major payday for one more offseason before he's finally freed from his rookie deal, but he's done enough to warrant it now. He is the best defender in the NFL.
:yay::yay: The 1st Time they got this award right in the Last 3 year!!(y):D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

• 1. Aaron Donald
  • 7. Todd Gurley
  • 56. Andrew Whitworth
  • 78. Robert Woods
  • 80. Michael Brockers
  • 82. Roger Saffold
  • 85. Lamarcus Joyner

What do you think?
Cooper Kupp deserves to be on this list too!!(y)

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
I read in this morning's LA Times that this is the first time in NFL history that one team won 1) Coach of the year
2) Offensive Player of the year 3) Defensive Player of the year. Now that is something all Ram fans can be proud of.
Next year at this time: Super Bowl!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I read in this morning's LA Times that this is the first time in NFL history that one team won 1) Coach of the year
2) Offensive Player of the year 3) Defensive Player of the year. Now that is something all Ram fans can be proud of.
Next year at this time: Super Bowl!

I was wondering.

jap

Legend
Next year it will be time for the Gurley Man or Field General Goff to take over the MVP honors legitimately. This awards show needs to evolve into a Horns fest!

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod

• 1. Aaron Donald
  • 7. Todd Gurley
  • 56. Andrew Whitworth
  • 78. Robert Woods
  • 80. Michael Brockers
  • 82. Roger Saffold
  • 85. Lamarcus Joyner

What do you think?

Fair list. Goff?

Todd59

Rookie
Should've worked out an extension last year, because the price just went up a few million bucks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here's what I saw in 2017 from Aaron Donald.

When you take a gander of just what happen in 2017 surrounding AD you can surly see that this Ram defense could be one of the best in NFL history with some of the key components securely in place now.

The hire of Wade caused more than a few to question the move of AD out of a standard 43 D to a specialized 34 Wade D. What does AD do? Well we just absorbed the marvel of the 2017 season. Early on Wade went with a trimmed down Micheal Brockers remained in his NT position. But it became clear that when Brockers came into camp down some 30 plus pounds :shocked:& was a masterpiece of perfection for the LDE post...the 6-6 300 pound Brockers lighter body was an instant problem for the opponents OL's. However this positive was also a negative too... who was going to be the starting NT:thinking:.

At first Wade gave a rookie Tanzel Smart who was selected in the 6th rd. under 6-1 290 lbs was a undersized mismatch from the beginning. As Tanzel Smart's time went on it was clear there needed to be a change ...so Smart was moved into a relief role behind AD @ DT post. Smart seemed to stop his progress & hit a wall. :( Hopefully Smart will get his mojo back.

Wtih the Brockers post change Ethan Westbrooks was out of a starting post. He was slated to be the LDE post early but Ethan had a bad 2017 off season involvement with LEO's. Things did get clear out & Ethan & his guns matter went away. With the loss of Dom Easley IR & the EW issues opened the LDE post for Brockers but those bad issues were overcame by both AD & MB outstanding play. EW came to the Rams as a UDFA who was known as for his raw pass rush he was under 260 lbs @ 6-4 perfect for the standard 43 D. EW was now in his 4th season & was the best of the rest of what Wade had so the 283 pound DL'er was our new starting NT.

EW started 9 games @ NT & generally did well playing out of position. EW is not a NT period, so here AD was playing with a standard 43 DE next to him @ NT...think on that for a moment. Yes Aaron is the man! The run defense was a big issue & blaming EW would be unfair IMO but in 2018 AD should not be labored with a issue playing next to him again.

AD had a big issue ongoing to his left he also had one ongoing to his right in the name of Rob Quinn. Want to see a polarizing event just mention the pro & cons of Rob Quinn 2017 performance & this forum erupts.I'll just say this Matt Longacre is a far more consistent right side ER in this 34 D than Quinn. Most will try to single out the point of sacks by Quinn...... I would point to the more important not seen by most fans is the constant loss of run containment & total inability to set any kind of an edge in run defense. AD has his hands full dealing with the on goings to his left @ NT & to his right @ the ER position. But still AD was a total beast!

If Snead & McVay can see the path here to a wining team deep into the playoffs then surround AD with some good help in skilled players playing in the right positions from 2018 Draft. A legit NFL 34 D Nose Tackle & ER'er would impact AD & MB greatly & then lets see our opponents offense try to contain the best defensive player in the NFL. I am sure AD would appreciate the help too.

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Congratulations to Mr. Donald - well deserved!!

(how 'bout a nice hometown discount???)
:bow:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

• 1. Aaron Donald
  • 7. Todd Gurley
  • 56. Andrew Whitworth
  • 78. Robert Woods
  • 80. Michael Brockers
  • 82. Roger Saffold
  • 85. Lamarcus Joyner

What do you think?

I don't know where all those guys would be ranked by their peers, but I would go so far as to say that the Rams now have at least 4 players who are the best at their position.
Donald
Gurley
Hekker
GZ