Aaron Donald Defensive Player of the Year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...donald-named-nfl-defensive-player-of-the-year

Aaron Donald named NFL Defensive Player of the Year

• By Nick Shook NFL.com
  • Published: Feb. 3, 2018 at 06:24 p.m.

Aaron Donald didn't lead the NFL in sacks, tackles, or forced fumbles (almost). It doesn't matter.

Donald is the best defensive player in the NFL.

The Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle was officially crowned as such on Saturday when he was named 2017 NFL Defensive Player of the Year by the Associated Press at the seventh-annual NFL Honors in Minneapolis.

Donald plays a position that is one of the most difficult to rack up gaudy numbers, yet he impacts a game more than any other player. He routinely rushes right past opposing linemen, using incredible burst. Double teams struggle to contain him. He plays disciplined, powerful defense, engaging a defender and maintaining a neutral position with the ability to shoot either the A or B gaps, depending on where the ballcarrier heads in a technique called "two-gapping."

For those seeking numbers: 32 tackles, 11 sacks, five forced fumbles and one pass defensed (in 14 games). Per Next Gen Stats, he recorded 65 pressures. Pro Football Focus has Donald at 91 total pressures for the season (66 hurries) and rated him as the NFL's most-productive pass rusher. PFF also gave Donald a 99.7 grade -- the best grade for any player in the entire league.

"When I think about Aaron Donald, he's probably in my opinion, the best defensive player I've ever played against in terms of actually playing in a game against," Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson told reporters in December. "That's a pretty big statement; I've played against some really good guys. I think back to my rookie year and my second year when I played against guys like [Navarro] Bowman and [Patrick] Willis and all of those guys are in my head, the top guys I've ever played.

"I think about a guy like Aaron Donald, he's definitely there too as well, so I have tremendous respect for how he plays the game. He's really, really tough, he's really quick, and he's pretty special. You look forward to those matchups just because those are things that you'll remember and those are the things that you'll tell your kids one day 'I played against this guy,' and those are fun things. He's definitely one of those guys that will probably be a Hall of Famer no doubt."

For those seeking the tape, one can cue up his three-sack performance in a dominant win over division-rival Seattle. They can marvel at the quickness with which Donald moves from momentary hesitation to rushing past a Texans lineman on a sack of Tom Savage. But if they truly want to understand Donald's impact, a four-and-a-half-minute highlight of Donald's play in a playoff loss to Atlanta will do the trick:

Donald only recorded a half-sack in that game, and yet, the reel is almost five minutes long. He was constantly harassing Matt Ryan, frequently on the precipice of a quarterback takedown and almost always in the backfield. That game explained Donald in 60 minutes of action.

He even knocked the socks off veteran defensive genius Wade Phillips, who revamped Los Angeles' defense in his first season, switching from a 4-3 to 3-4 and in turn, teaching his personnel to play in a different style. Despite holding out until Sept. 9, Donald was a quick study.

"Aaron Donald, because he's better than everybody, and I didn't know he was better than everybody," Phillips said in December.

He'll have to continue to battle for a major payday for one more offseason before he's finally freed from his rookie deal, but he's done enough to warrant it now. He is the best defender in the NFL.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
YES! Well deserved and about damn time.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
hopefully the Rams will get a couple more

offensive player of the year and coach of the year

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Awesome, well deserved.

Maybe this could be the awards thread. Kamara received the ROY

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Todd Gurley named NFL Offensive Player of the Year

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...gurley-named-nfl-offensive-player-of-the-year

• By Austin Knoblauch NFL.com
  • Published: Feb. 3, 2018 at 06:49 p.m.
  • Updated: Feb. 3, 2018 at 06:55 p.m.

It was the version of Todd Gurley the Rams' faithful knew they'd see again. The version that flashed brilliantly in St. Louis before dimming amid a challenging sophomore campaign.

Gurley's on-field renaissance for a resurgent Los Angeles Rams team was one of the most remarkable feats of the 2017 season -- a spectacular performance worthy of Gurley being named NFL Offensive Player of the Year by the Associated Press at NFL Honors on Saturday.

Gurley's memorable campaign played a decisive role in helping the Rams reach the playoffs for the first time since 2004. The third-year back churned out a league-best 2,093 scrimmage yards (accounting for 35 percent of team's offensive output) and finished second in league rushing with 1,305 yards. He became only the third player in NFL history to tally 2,000 scrimmage yards, 10 rushing TDs and six receiving TDs -- a feat replicated only by Hall of Famers Marshall Faulk and O.J. Simpson. His 19 total touchdowns were the most by a Rams player since Faulk's 21 in 2000.

In addition, Gurley had 788 receiving yards -- a big chunk of which came in a truly spectacular late-season showing against the Tennessee Titans (158 receiving, 118 rushing). His 152-yard, four-touchdown output against the Seattle Seahawks in a Week 15 cemented his offensive player of the year credentials. Over his final four games of the regular season, Gurley had 440 rushing yards and five touchdowns along with 22 catches for 302 receiving yards and three touchdowns en route to NFC Offensive Player of the Month honors.

The sustained excellence Gurley produced over the course of helping the Rams take their first divisional title since the Kurt Warner-Faulk era was a byproduct of the 23-year-old's superb natural talent coupled with Sean McVay's offense. In the midst of a frustrating 2016 season, Gurley famously described the Rams as running a "middle school offense." Under McVay, both Gurley and quarterback Jared Goff transformed into two of the NFL's most potent offensive weapons.

"Coach McVay he's just such an offensive-minded coach," Gurley said this week on FOX Sports. "And just, you know, how he changed the whole offense around. You know, obviously last year we were, you know, last in offense and this year we were number one."

For his part, McVay knew what he inherited when he took over the Rams' coaching job last year. He told reporters at the Annual League Meeting in March, he was confident Gurley was "going to be a great back year-in and year-out."

It can't be understated how much Gurley's emergence from his second-season slump not only helped push the Rams to an 11-5 record, but also established the franchise as a force to be reckoned with among the NFC's elite. If Gurley gets close to matching his 2017 output next season, a more experienced, balanced Rams offense could truly live up to its new "Greatest Show on Surf" moniker.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Absolutely deserved. Now, pay the man.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
This Rams team has really turned things around. Hope they can keep the core of this group together for a while.