Aaron Donald attends Rams Minicamp per Steve Wyche

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think he deserves it as long as he continues to perform at the levels he has so far. That includes getting his butt to the office and doing it all, including voluntary work outs. He has a contact, that he agreed to before he played a down in the league, just like everyone else. When you sign the dotted line that is your word and if you don't uphold your word you get no respect. Negotiating is fine but you still show up with or without the new deal, that is what you agreed to.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he deserves it as long as he continues to perform at the levels he has so far. That includes getting his butt to the office and doing it all, including voluntary work outs. He has a contact, that he agreed to before he played a down in the league, just like everyone else. When you sign the dotted line that is your word and if you don't uphold your word you get no respect. Negotiating is fine but you still show up with or without the new deal, that is what you agreed to.
Agreed.
Now I think he should be the highest paid defensive player in the league, and figure they will get it done, but the cat has made almost 9 mill so far in 3 seasons, so its not like he getting paid peanuts here.
But the Rams did set a precedent with TA who was re-signed prior to his 4th year in 2016, and IIRC, he didn't miss any workouts last year, so why Donald would behave differently is beyond me

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
On one end, he has an obligation to the team to uphold his contract. On another, he has to send a message to the FO.

I remember people losing their crap when Jackson held out for a new contract. In the end, these guys know they only have maybe two contracts in their NFL career, and risking your body (people get injured during OTAs all the time) for a voluntary workout isn't worth it.
Many have already elaborated on how he could go about this, without missing the install of a new defense. Just don't participate where other bodies are moving around.
He's a captain. This is an entirely new system, new coaches, and will be some new players in a very short time. As a captain, he needs to set the tone....and showing up is one of the ways to accomplish this.
Don't get hurt...hell, claim your hamstrings are tight...stay on the sidelines, but in front of every meeting.

But the Rams did set a precedent with TA who was re-signed prior to his 4th year in 2016, and IIRC, he didn't miss any workouts last year, so why Donald would behave differently is beyond me
Exactly...Quinn was given a new deal early too.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Shoulda went to the OTA's a few days ago then....Cause that WAS his character the last few weeks...Voluntary/Mandatory ...doesn't matter...Show up if you want that "C" on your chest.
Easy for you arm chair nfl players to be all talk. What motivation does a player in Ad's situation have to go to voluntary ota's and run the risk of being hurt if he doesn't have to.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Easy for you arm chair nfl players to be all talk. What motivation does a player in Ad's situation have to go to voluntary ota's and run the risk of being hurt if he doesn't have to.
Because 3 years ago he signed an effin contract...wants to be a leader or captain...and if he wants the team to negotiate in good faith, he's obligated to prove the game isn't all about the money really..he should show he just likes to play...
I'm not saying go all out and get injured either...stretch on the side..whatever...if this wasn't a new staff, I'd be there with you...but with this new, we not me...no "I" in team...plus he needs to learn Wade's new system.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
and if he wants the team to negotiate in good faith, he's obligated to prove the game isn't all about the money really..he should show he just likes to play...

I get this, Champ, but when your agent is telling you not to risk 80 million dollars, you do it. I would do what the other posters are saying... go to practice, hang out on the sidelines.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why does anyone?
If the entire team skipped OTA, would you feel the same way?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Because 3 years ago he signed an effin contract...wants to be a leader or captain...and if he wants the team to negotiate in good faith, he's obligated to prove the game isn't all about the money really..he should show he just likes to play...
I'm not saying go all out and get injured either...stretch on the side..whatever...if this wasn't a new staff, I'd be there with you...but with this new, we not me...no "I" in team...plus he needs to learn Wade's new system.
Again it's voluntary he's not obligated to do anything period. He's done more then enough on field to prove his talent. As for new staff he can deal with the new staff behind the scene. This he has to be there to be Leader/captain is horse shit.

Oh and to make the accusation that he is only in it for the money or that the team will only negotiate in good faith if he shows up to what the team/League says is voluntary is ridiculous.

These are mainly just your opinion not those reflected my the Rams. I mean ffs he needs to show up and prove himself and prove he's only kn the nfl because he like it jot the money come on man

Last edited:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Why does anyone?
If the entire team skipped OTA, would you feel the same way?
Look I'll break it down for you as I find this simple to understand.

It's voluntary otas if they want everything be there make it mandatory.

Voluntary otas are there for borderline players/rookies and those vets who want to be there nothing more.

Why you guys want to make arron a pariah /selfish player for staying out of voluntary is beyond me

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look I'll break it down for you as I find this simple to understand.

It's voluntary otas if they want everything be there make it mandatory.

Voluntary otas are there for borderline players/rookies and those vets who want to be there nothing more.

Why you guys want to make arron a pariah /selfish player for staying out of voluntary is beyond me
So if nobody showed up for OTA you would be ok with it?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Again it's voluntary he's not obligated to do anything period. He's done more then enough on field to prove his talent. As for new staff he can deal with the new staff behind the scene. This he has to be there to be Leader/captain is horse crap.

Oh and to make the accusation that he is only in it for the money or that the team will only negotiate in good faith if he shows up to what the team/League says is voluntary is ridiculous.

These are mainly just your opinion not those reflected my the Rams. I mean ffs he needs to show up and prove himself and prove he's only kn the nfl because he like it jot the money come on man
Last week was OTA's....and those were in fact, voluntary....yet, he plays a game where we've looked terrible for some time and there is a NEW staff...New expectation...and our BEST PLAYER doesn't wanna come in because he's underpaid....is this what we wanna show our rookies? Our 2nd year players? His contract said for "X" amount of years, you'll get "X" amount of dollars....one of those years is 2017. So, he shouldn't honor this agreement? And should pressure the team to renegotiate??? And I'm with you....Aaron Donald deserves to be the highest player...if not the league, definitely OUR team. But again, what is the message?

-The mini-camp is different...a little longer...the coaches expect more...oh, and these are mandatory.....and they fine you if you don't show....and guess who showed up? Not about the $$$$???? Right??? That's what you insinuated up there...

This guys getting paid....he's gonna make north of 100 million.....large...He IS the captain....he's a leader....what he does reflects on this staff...they need to see he's all in...or if not....we have had too many "I" guys....pay me guys...and it probably has Donald wanting HIS money...I mean, if he's looking at TA....Tru....he's like, shoot....I come to work everyday....and they haven't came at me once correctly....Look what they did to Jenkins?

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFL makes the decisions about which organized activities are voluntary or not. Due to the lingering effects of concussions, and any type of injury to the players, I do not see more mandatory practices anytime soon.

The coaches want the players there, but they can't publicly display their disappointment from them being absent.

Nobody is a holdout for missing voluntary organized training activities. Donald knows he is asking for money before his contract is up and so does his agent.

Zodi

Hall of Fame

Exactly. He hasn't violated his contract at all. You even have the GM saying Donald is underpaid.

Plus, I hear this "well, he could've just watched from the sidelines and attended sessions in the classroom, blah blah." You don't know if he has been given the playbook, or had contact with Wade, or if he approached the team with that idea, etc. Assuming quite a bit.

Also, "if he wants to be a captain, he needs to blah blah." Pretty sure he was appointed Captain status by the previous staff, via team vote. So I don't think it's something Donald vetted for.

I just think it's kind of crazy how there's a witch hunt every time a player is unhappy with his contract and makes it known. A couple of months ago, negative talk towards Donald would've been considered heresy amongst Rams fans.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
So if nobody showed up for OTA you would be ok with it?

Did I say that? Cause I don't believe I did. What I said was voluntary ota camps are mainly for the edge of roster/rookie players in my opinion. As far as established vets no I would not be upset if they decided not to go to voluntarys.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did I say that? Cause I don't believe I did. What I said was voluntary ota camps are mainly for the edge of roster/rookie players in my opinion. As far as established vets no I would not be upset if they decided not to go to voluntarys.
But if its voluntary, then nobody needs to show up.
Keep in mind several of our rookies weren't even signed to contracts and they showed up. Talk about taking risk
If its ok for Donald to miss because its voluntary, then who is it not ok for?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
But if its voluntary, then nobody needs to show up.
Keep in mind several of our rookies weren't even signed to contracts and they showed up. Talk about taking risk
If its ok for Donald to miss because its voluntary, then who is it not ok for?
Quit putting words where I didn't put them. Of course rookies who hadn't signed a contract showed up. They need every opportunity to shine and prove themselves. As I stated already Donald HAS proven himself so has no need to be there if he doesn't want to.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quit putting words where I didn't put them. Of course rookies who hadn't signed a contract showed up. They need every opportunity to shine and prove themselves. As I stated already Donald HAS proven himself so has no need to be there if he doesn't want to.
I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm trying to understand your POV
IMO if voluntary works for one, then it fits for everyone.
And since its a team sport, not an individual sport, any missing member of the team impacts another.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm trying to understand your POV
IMO if voluntary works for one, then it fits for everyone.
And since its a team sport, not an individual sport, any missing member of the team impacts another.
Your right it does impact another. It allows the players behind him to get more of the coach's attention and time.
Donald isn't the 1st player to miss otas and won't be the last. Not sure why some see it as the end of the world