Aaron Donald at RDE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is another thing that gets discussed from time to time, and while many don't like the idea I think Williams is missing an opportunity to get more out of AD simply by not moving him around. He doesn't have the length you want at DE, but his power and speed, and change of direction ability would play very well at DE. The Rams' lack of blindside production, meanwhile, is a serious problem.

IMO moving Quinn out of the starting lineup would make this line better. Donald goes in at RDE, and you slide Easely in there as starter in his place. Depth rotation is there to support this too.

Barring that, simply move the dude around. Donald is a fearsome matchup problem for any OL who is not accustomed to blocking him. Moving him around, even just in passing game situations, would net them multiple additional QB pressures per game.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I don't like the idea of taking Quinn out of the game. Though Hayes, Brockers, Easley, Donald does sound nice.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One of our highest paid players with an average 14.3 mil a season cost with 41 mil guaranteed , RDE Rob Quinn full time starter has 4 sacks 10 tackles, yep he's been a force @ his post this season against the run too.

Dominique Easley our lowest paid DL 600K & our 4th reserve part time DT has 2 1/2 sacks & 24 tackles & 2 forced fumbles, yes it would be a bad mistake to let him have more playing time so Aaron Donald could get more one on ones on the outside.

Last edited:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
One of our highest paid players with an average 14.3 mil a season cost with 41 mil guaranteed , RDE Rob Quinn full time starter has 4 sacks 10 tackles, yep he's been a force @ his post this season against the run too.

Dominique Easley our lowest paid DL 600K & our 4th reserve part time DT has 2 1/2 sacks & 24 tackles & 2 forced fumbles, yes it would be a bad mistake to let him have more playing time so Aaron Donald could get more one on ones on the outside.

Judging DL on sacks and tackles is exactly the wrong way to go about that. Not saying Quinn has had a great year, but those numbers aren't indicative of a why he hasn't.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't like the idea of taking Quinn out of the game. Though Hayes, Brockers, Easley, Donald does sound nice.
I hate to say it but Quinn takes himself out of 90% of the game by running up field around the QB . Teams have figured him out .

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Our defense looks completely different without Quinn in the lineup. I'd try to trade Quinn this off-season because I worry about the injuries stacking up. However, Quinn's threat off the edge forces QBs to climb the pocket and makes it more difficult to just double Donald at all times.

Plus, Easley is very inconsistent, especially with his run fits.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Judging DL on sacks and tackles is exactly the wrong way to go about that. Not saying Quinn has had a great year, but those numbers aren't indicative of a why he hasn't.
I would ask what wrong way did I go? it's factual, & it certainly says a bunch.

What's the right way to go ? Can to show me since you seem to indicate you know exactly the way & direction to go?

I have yet to see a member try to post that Rob Quinn has had anything close..... to a good season. Quinn's play has been just about average at best I believe I am being very kind.

I no longer see this great threat off the edges being performed by Quinn this season. But I clearly see the lost containment on a regular basis on outside runs.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

What's the right way to go ? Can to show me since you seem to indicate you know exactly the way & direction to go?

I have yet to see a member try to post that Rob Quinn has had anything close..... to a good season. Quinn's play has been just about average at best I believe I am being very kind.

I no longer see this great threat off the edges being performed by Quinn this season. But I clearly see the lost containment on a regular basis on outside runs.

I'm just pointing out that tackles as a DL don't mean anything. It's not their job to get tackles. It's often their job to force the play to where the LB can make the play. Sacks also don't indicate pass rush ability. They just indicate ability to finish rushes. Hurries and hits are a much better indicator of pass rush ability and can have similar or greater impact.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying you're coming to a potentially right conclusion with the wrong logic.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I hate to say it but Quinn takes himself out of 90% of the game by running up field around the QB . Teams have figured him out .
If we had a decent LDE to balance things out, Quinn's numbers would skyrocket again!! JMO!

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Aaron Donald is the best defensive player in the NFL. Easily. There is no way I am moving him from his current position. Why risk rocking the boat? His current position is seeing his talents utilised amazingly well. I'm not sure we could top it. I do like the idea of playing Donald at DE just on the odd play keep things interesting and opposing offenses off balance. But the vast majority of his snaps need to be at DT.

Re: Robert Quinn. Quinn hasn't been playing to his salary for a number of years now. That is mostly due to injuries IMO. But the point is he is living off reputation at this point. I wouldn't call him a game-changer anymore. With Donald's emergence he sees less double teams and attention than when he was going to the Pro Bowl... yet his effectiveness has went DOWN. He isn't the same. He's still a good DE and we're better with him in the lineup than without. Don't me wrong on that. But we need to start looking for his replacement. If he regains form, great. It will be a welcome surprise. Otherwise, at this rate, the Rams probably move on from Quinn in a few years.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

He did have back surgery last year, and I'm not sure he's been playing at 100% health this year. Couple that with a couple of missed games for assorted other injuries, and that might explain it.

Not to mention, nobody, including the present coaching staff, seems to care that he is blatantly held on almost every play and somehow the guilty OL of the other team never get called for it.

I'll agree he's having down year, but I don't want to jump to too many conclusions just yet.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
While I wouldn't make him a permanent DE it would be a great idea to move him around on passing downs. It would destroy protection coverages and put pressure from different angles.
Can leave Quinn in the game and move him around too. Stand him up and let him pick a gap. They've done that before.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
AD is not an DE his talent is getting under blocks and quickness. Playing against tackles they have time to react to his quickness and adjust. He won't be as successful on the outside.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Our defense looks completely different without Quinn in the lineup. I'd try to trade Quinn this off-season because I worry about the injuries stacking up. However, Quinn's threat off the edge forces QBs to climb the pocket and makes it more difficult to just double Donald at all times.

Plus, Easley is very inconsistent, especially with his run fits.

That used to be true but no longer. Quinn ain't what he used to be.

I hope he bounces back next year but meh. Not expecting it.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
If the refs would call holding ever. They strangle Quinn sometimes geez.

Debacled

Starter
That used to be true but no longer. Quinn ain't what he used to be.

I hope he bounces back next year but meh. Not expecting it.

People forget the guy is 26. 19 sacks don't happen by accident either. He is young and if he ever develops a couple more good moves (or has an offense that can convince the other team they may need to pass a lot to score enough to win) they will come along.

He has had a couple of down injury plagued years. Julius Peppers would be a good comparison I think (although he has been a whole lot healthier over his career). Any time the guy had a down season people would question his work ethic and love for the game, but bottom line here he is at age 36 in his 15th season as a huge threat off the edge.

He is a fantastic DE. He would benefit from being able to stay healthy and as I mentioned before and progressing his skill set (which is already great) as well as playing with a competent offense wearing his colors.

He makes decent money, but we aren't paying him out of our pockets and there are much larger holes on the team outside of him. The defense has taken a big step back this year, but its not due to DL play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He is a fantastic DE. He would benefit from being able to stay healthy and as I mentioned before and progressing his skill set (which is already great) as well as playing with a competent offense wearing his colors.

He makes decent money, but we aren't paying him out of our pockets and there are much larger holes on the team outside of him. The defense has taken a big step back this year, but its not due to DL play.

He might bounce back. I pray he does as a matter of fact.

Or he might not hit it hard until he hits his contract season, like so many players coddled by this regime...

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Penetration up the middle is better than the edge. Donald should stay inside.

Also Quinn was playing great at the beginning of the year before getting hurt. He's an All Pro, you don't take him off the field for an experiment. He's been a leader in FF since he's been playing, including the games he's missed.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
For the first time all season, Donald was anonymous on Sunday against the Pats which may or may not have had something to do with the fact that Quinn didn't play at all on Sunday.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Some might remember Leonard Little had a similar pass rushing trait and was regularly gashed by running backs. Quinn, whatever his current problems may be, is still playing fairly average as a pass rusher, and while not playing up to par as we were expecting, his biggest deficiency this season is actually in his run blocking. I agree with the OP that our DC could move Donald around a little more effectively, but on those more predictable rushing downs, perhaps get Longacre more snaps at RDE, as he's been superior in that area of run defense this season. Easley may be no Donald, but he is having a good year and getting plenty of snaps rotating for our quality interior starters, unfortunately Cam Thomas has been largely ineffective while garnering more snaps than Brockers for some reason, and both Sims and Westbrooks are also having let-down type seasons. Our once vaunted front 4 is really only a twosome now since Chris Long grew old and Quinn became a shell of his former self from injuries, ... with all our problems on offense, pretty bad timing to see our edge rushers slowing their role. jmo.