A word to the wise among some "big name" Ram players...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Every practice and game is a job interview. There's not a single player that can't be replaced if they don't perform.

f7FdEdG.jpg

FRO

Legend
Kurt Warner got the boot after I be bad injury riddled season and one game, so yes the list of people's jobs being on the line seem about right to me. Guys got to start producing and the team has to start winning. New coaches like to bring in their own players. If the existing players don't produce, they'll be gone.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
43, while I agree with your assumption for the most part, that underperforming players might have a short leash under McVay, some will have a longer leash than others. Goff, if he underperforms this season, will probably get another look next season as will Gurley.

One of the things that got Fisher fired was his penchant for letting players who underperformed keep playing, Finnegan, Quick, Lauranitus, Dahl. to name a few.

Hopefully, this all becomes moot when they all make the playoff and some mentioned here make the Pro Bowel
However it is yet to be seen how quick McVay is with the hook when players underperform.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No one is "safe". Or at least I hope not.

That being said.... IMO Cousins is not someone I would be pining over if I'm McV. He worked in that system with that team. I don't however view him as a top QB. I guess we'll see how he does this season but the Skins didn't offer him a long term contract for a reason. I feel we will see the reason this season.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
So we just throw away players who are learning a new playbook, learning a new defensive scheme, working with a new young qb, etc? Seems a little ridiculous. If that was our philosophy we would never have a stable team, bc it would be a constant revolving door.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
43, while I agree with your assumption for the most part, that underperforming players might have a short leash under McVay, some will have a longer leash than others. Goff, if he underperforms this season, will probably get another look next season as will Gurley.

One of the things that got Fisher fired was his penchant for letting players who underperformed keep playing, Finnegan, Quick, Lauranitus, Dahl. to name a few.

Hopefully, this all becomes moot when they all make the playoff and some mentioned here make the Pro Bowel
However it is yet to be seen how quick McVay is with the hook when players underperform.
I do not, and will never agree, that James Lauranitus was a " underperformer"!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
JL was a very LB, but his last season he was clearly not the same. Slow to the edge, not able to get off blocks and make tackles.. I admired JL for his play and work ethic. I mentioned JL because Fisher still ran JL out there even though he was not getting it done like he used to.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So we just throw away players who are learning a new playbook, learning a new defensive scheme, working with a new young qb, etc? Seems a little ridiculous. If that was our philosophy we would never have a stable team, bc it would be a constant revolving door.

That's a misleading oversimplification of my position, I like Rams.

Look, just for the sake of keeping this short, let's consider just Goff, Gurley, and Quinn, okay? Three so called "Untouchables?" But there are many other players that might be on thinner ice than they realize.

If Goff doesn't show significant improvement over his rookie season performance, McVay would be a fool not to start considering other options at QB. Goff needn't look like a Pro Bowler, but he does need to take a second year jump. A continuation of his 0-7 start (or anything close to it) would be completely unacceptable. Doesn't mean he would be released, just means that McVay would need to make other arrangements for a starting QB.

As to Gurley, this season will be his 3rd. RB's typically play well in their first seasons, and Gurley did for 4-5 games. But not since. If he fails to impress McVay this year then he should expect to see other RB's in camp in '18.

Robert Quinn? Everybody loves the Robert Quinn of '13 and '14, me included. But that was a long time ago. Quinn needs to regain at least some of his former dominance this year or McVay will be looking for a replacement for him, too.

Easy for we fans to fall in love with our players. But this is a "what have you done for me lately" league. I think that McVay understands that concept better than Fisher ever did, despite the difference in their HC experience.

That's why I'm so optimistic about the Ram '17 prospects for a winning season. McVay "gets it" and he puts winning above all else.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Coming into this Season I would say only 3 Players where "Safe" at their position, Hekker - Zuerlein and Aaron Donald! At this point in time only 2 of those would I say are still SAFE!
GO RAMS!!

View attachment 21397

Jake McQuaide is so freaking good dude !!! This guy in his snaps are one thing.
The way he gets down field and hits is another .

When he is in the LBer group he inspires with his technique & enthusiasm . He brings a great energy day in and day out.

Unless your not watching you would never know. I'm asking if anyone else saw what Inwas seeing during training camp & preseason games ?

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
That's a misleading oversimplification of my position, I like Rams.

Look, just for the sake of keeping this short, let's consider just Goff, Gurley, and Quinn, okay? Three so called "Untouchables?" But there are many other players that might be on thinner ice than they realize.

If Goff doesn't show significant improvement over his rookie season performance, McVay would be a fool not to start considering other options at QB. Goff needn't look like a Pro Bowler, but he does need to take a second year jump. A continuation of his 0-7 start (or anything close to it) would be completely unacceptable. Doesn't mean he would be released, just means that McVay would need to make other arrangements for a starting QB.

As to Gurley, this season will be his 3rd. RB's typically play well in their first seasons, and Gurley did for 4-5 games. But not since. If he fails to impress McVay this year then he should expect to see other RB's in camp in '18.

Robert Quinn? Everybody loves the Robert Quinn of '13 and '14, me included. But that was a long time ago. Quinn needs to regain at least some of his former dominance this year or McVay will be looking for a replacement for him, too.

Easy for we fans to fall in love with our players. But this is a "what have you done for me lately" league. I think that McVay understands that concept better than Fisher ever did, despite the difference in their HC experience.

That's why I'm so optimistic about the Ram '17 prospects for a winning season. McVay "gets it" and he puts winning above all else.

I get what you're saying. It was just a large list that could have multiple players affected if another one on that list falls flat. I also think its important to remember that McVay should also be on this list if you want to be fair. Lets not forget, this is his first head coaching job, and he came from a place where we are not 100% certain who had the most influence on how the offense was ran (McVay or Gruden). I just dont think its justified to say McVay "gets" everything when he has yet to prove anything, yet these players need to prove themselves, or else. Everything this season is a big question mark for me personally.