A word to the wise among some "big name" Ram players...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Don't look now, but your job might depend on your on field production this year.

There are a lot of Ram players that need to really produce for McVay this year. Emphasis THIS year.

Goff
Gurley
Tavon
Higbee
Jamon Brown
Havenstein
Watkins (yes, Watkins)
Woods
Quinn
Barwin
Barron
Webster
Joyner
Alexander

On paper, there's quite a bit of talent listed above. But those players need to produce on the field this year if they expect to keep McVay happy.

Think some (or all) of those listed players are safe, at least as starters? Better think again. No more long leashes for players that are not impressing.

McVay has already demonstrated what he will do when he determines that a given player doesn't fit into his schemes. It's Sayonara, baby! And McVay doesn't exactly dither around before making his decisions, either. Just ask Britt, Quick, Kendricks, or Barnes.

Bottom line? I think that we will see players busting their butts to impress McVay this year. Some will, of course. But I predict that some won't.

Don't know about you, but I love that in a HC. Makes the tough personnel decisions, and quickly, that improve his chances of winning ballgames.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't look now, but your job might depend on your on field production this year.

There are a lot of Ram players that need to really produce for McVay this year. Emphasis THIS year.

Goff
Gurley
Tavon
Higbee
Jamon Brown
Havenstein
Watkins (yes, Watkins)
Woods
Quinn
Barwin
Barron
Webster
Joyner
Alexander

On paper, there's quite a bit of talent listed above. But those players need to produce on the field this year if they expect to keep McVay happy.

Think some (or all) of those listed players are safe, at least as starters? Better think again. No more long leashes for players that are not impressing.

McVay has already demonstrated what he will do when he determines that a given player doesn't fit into his schemes. It's Sayonara, baby! And McVay doesn't exactly dither around before making his decisions, either. Just ask Britt, Quick, Kendricks, or Barnes.

Bottom line? I think that we will see players busting their butts to impress McVay this year. Some will, of course. But I predict that some won't.

Don't know about you, but I love that in a HC. Makes the tough personnel decisions, and quickly, that improve his chances of winning ballgames.

Which player is not busting his butt ???

Have you been paying attention ?? That list is a joke . Most of the players on the list were brought in or kept because of there character. The guys listed that are gone , is for a reason Ram fans have seen for however long ??

Higbee need to develop.
McVay talks about liking Goff more than ever from working with him & the way he brushes doubters off.
Quinn has been held out of preseason but had like 20 sacks 3 years ago. The biggest question for him is his health.

The Kromers graded Brown & Havenstein higher than players coming out of the draft. (You forgot Greg Robinson)

--- Mo & Joyner are playing for a contract. Yes there is a reason The Rams are deep at that position.

Barwin is a team captain?? Really ??
He is on a one year contract as well & they drafted his replacement if need be ?

Yes Watkins ?? Why did The Rams trade for him ?? Yes ?? Just throw a 2nd rd draft pick away ?

Webster signed for how long & how good does Wade know him. ??

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I stopped reading at Gurely. (Job on the line??) As if wasn't bad enough the number one draft pick was first on your list.

Come on man.
o_O

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
not that many peoples jobs are on the line. Sometimes you stick with players because there's no one better out there. Otherwise everyone would be SB contenders.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I get where @Rams43 is coming from here. The bar in terms of expectations is much higher now. We're not going to see this regime pushing for extensions on players who aren't showing it on the field, it's going to be them getting squeezed out instead. No matter who they are.

Everyone is definitely playing for their jobs. Even the #1 QB we took last year. And that's how it should be IMO, and it's also why I am excited to see this team develop. Comfortable players do not produce consistently, game-in and game-out. But I suspect many of the young players on this team are going to do that now, and those who don't will see more competition added and that roster squeeze next year.

I love it.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think you will find that winning is contagious and that the more people perform more people will perform better.
Nobody wants to be the player that disappoints everybody else when they're winning.
Sort of the opposite of what was going on here around here with Fisher.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not ready for another rebuild . There is enough talent to win games and I think the players know it . Just do it

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Which player is not busting his butt ???

Have you been paying attention ?? That list is a joke . Most of the players on the list were brought in or kept because of there character. The guys listed that are gone , is for a reason Ram fans have seen for however long ??

Higbee need to develop.
McVay talks about liking Goff more than ever from working with him & the way he brushes doubters off.
Quinn has been held out of preseason but had like 20 sacks 3 years ago. The biggest question for him is his health.

The Kromers graded Brown & Havenstein higher than players coming out of the draft. (You forgot Greg Robinson)

--- Mo & Joyner are playing for a contract. Yes there is a reason The Rams are deep at that position.

Barwin is a team captain?? Really ??
He is on a one year contract as well & they drafted his replacement if need be ?

Yes Watkins ?? Why did The Rams trade for him ?? Yes ?? Just throw a 2nd rd draft pick away ?

Webster signed for how long & how good does Wade know him. ??

List is a joke, So Ram?

I'm gonna let that slide since you apparently missed my whole point of the post.

My point was that McVay will expect and demand good results on the field. Period.

Regardless of draft position (Goff) or trade cost (Tavon, Woods, Watkins).

It's put up or shut up time. And this year.

Some starters will exceed expectations. Some won't get there. The latter group will be hard pressed to retain their starting positions.

I think that that is just the way McVay rolls. And I love it.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
This team is in desperate need of being coached up. Proof will be when we start winning games. We also have to remember to be a little patient. McVay is a new coach, and a young coach. This isn't going to happen overnight.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
List is a joke, So Ram?

I'm gonna let that slide since you apparently missed my whole point of the post.

My point was that McVay will expect and demand good results on the field. Period.

Regardless of draft position (Goff) or trade cost (Tavon, Woods, Watkins).

It's put up or shut up time. And this year.

Some starters will exceed expectations. Some won't get there. The latter group will be hard pressed to retain their starting positions.

I think that that is just the way McVay rolls. And I love it.

That's all good , but I think your making a big deal out of it than it is.

McVay builds relationships & treats players with respect & as real men.

He is trying to build a team & unity as in WE. He is not personally looking at it as individuals. Just trying to get better each day.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I get where @Rams43 is coming from here. The bar in terms of expectations is much higher now. We're not going to see this regime pushing for extensions on players who aren't showing it on the field, it's going to be them getting squeezed out instead. No matter who they are.

Everyone is definitely playing for their jobs. Even the #1 QB we took last year. And that's how it should be IMO, and it's also why I am excited to see this team develop. Comfortable players do not produce consistently, game-in and game-out. But I suspect many of the young players on this team are going to do that now, and those who don't will see more competition added and that roster squeeze next year.

I love it.
Coming into this Season I would say only 3 Players where "Safe" at their position, Hekker - Zuerlein and Aaron Donald! At this point in time only 2 of those would I say are still SAFE!
GO RAMS!!

-dancing-rams-2.gif

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler

Goff
Gurley
Tavon
Higbee
Jamon Brown
Havenstein
Watkins (yes, Watkins)
Woods
Quinn
Barwin
Barron
Webster
Joyner
Alexander

I would like to apologize for the tone of my first post. I drank Yukon Jack last night cerebrating the Pats loss and that crap always reeks havoc on my blood sugar levels. (So yeah I woke up grumpy spunky and mildly hungover.)

Although I know your post was meant to show respect to the new head coach, the truth of the matter is we don't know how hes going to handle diversity.

Like usual the Rams are fielding a crazy young team. There's going to be a lot of ups and downs and inconsistent play as well as mental mistakes.

McVay can not just bail on players the caliber of Goff, Gurely and whoever you listed just because they're not playing well.

Like Merlin said, the bar is higher, but these are the players hes going to have to ride with or it will be him losing his job.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Of course Goff is playing for a job. His salary isn't unruly and McVay has no ties to him. Do we really think if he struggles throughout the season that this FO wouldn't try to move him and bring in Cousins?

It's not an opinion rooted out of love or hate for the player, but out of a coach finding his best players. I hope it doesn't come to that, but you gotta realize the scenario is possible.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I would like to apologize for the tone of my first post. I drank Yukon Jack last night cerebrating the Pats loss and that crap always reeks havoc on my blood sugar levels. (So yeah I woke up grumpy spunky and mildly hungover.)

Although I know your post was meant to show respect to the new head coach, the truth of the matter is we don't know how hes going to handle diversity.

Like usual the Rams are fielding a crazy young team. There's going to be a lot of ups and downs and inconsistent play as well as mental mistakes.

McVay can not just bail on players the caliber of Goff, Gurely and whoever you listed just because they're not playing well.

Like Merlin said, the bar is higher, but these are the players hes going to have to ride with or it will be him losing his job.

Absolutely no problem, Afro.

Any Ram fan having a drink (or four) over a Patriot loss gets a 24 hour pass from me! Lol.

As to Goff and Gurley? The fact is that I strongly believe that McVay would be pursuing other options if either had a '16 type season again in '17.

McVay strikes me as a very pragmatic HC. He expects and demands production. Or else...

And he doesn't give a damn where a player was drafted. If Davis can outproduce Gurley, for example, he will soon be the starter. If Goff doesn't dramatically improve over his '16 performances, don't be at all surprised to see the Rams going after Cousins next offseason.

And so on and so forth...

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Absolutely no problem, Afro.

Any Ram fan having a drink (or four) over a Patriot loss gets a 24 hour pass from me! Lol.

As to Goff and Gurley? The fact is that I strongly believe that McVay would be pursuing other options if either had a '16 type season again in '17.

McVay strikes me as a very pragmatic HC. He expects and demands production. Or else...

And he doesn't give a damn where a player was drafted. If Davis can outproduce Gurley, for example, he will soon be the starter. If Goff doesn't dramatically improve over his '16 performances, don't be at all surprised to see the Rams going after Cousins next offseason.

And so on and so forth...

I agree with you. Just pure speculation, but if McVay was sure of Goff maybe AD would be signed by now, since a Goff payday is still at least 2-3 years down the road. But paying AD with large front loaded guarantees over the next couple of seasons might make it impossible to go after Cousins next offseason if they felt they needed to.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Every practice and game is a job interview. There's not a single player that can't be replaced if they don't perform.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I understand that you think players are going to be playing a more motivated style of football this season.

I don't agree that it's due to wanting to impress Mcvay.

I think it'll be more impart due to the fact that Mcvay understands how to teach, how to communicate, how to plan, and how to motivate.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I understand that you think players are going to be playing a more motivated style of football this season.

I don't agree that it's due to wanting to impress Mcvay.

I think it'll be more impart due to the fact that Mcvay understands how to teach, how to communicate, how to plan, and how to motivate.

I certainly agree with your entire last paragraph, A.J. Hicks.

But the bottom line is that the players must produce on the field. No matter how or why. Otherwise...

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
You're welcome to be impressed with McVay and are, it seems.

I'm reminded that he has yet to coach a real game.

We shall see.

I'm hopeful but not yet in formation.