A Tale of Three Gashes; The Los Angeles Rams Run Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Actually, if Bradford wasn't hurt, there would be. Had Bradford not hurt his knee, Keenum would be number 3. The only reason for him not being there is that he had surgery the week Bridgewater came back.

Still, were would the Rams be with their Number 2 QB and Gurley out?
Probably doing ok. But no one knows what Mannion is capable of. And Brown was running well before he went down. Our third Back did pretty well in late action last week so.....

Here's the thing, if Case starts playing poorly, they can always yank him an let Teddy play. Going to happen sooner or later.
Here’s the thing. Teddy hasn’t done anything in the NFL to strike fear into the hearts of defenses. He has almost as many INTs as TDS, and has those puny legs that are just waiting to get tweaked. Meanwhile Jared Goff has thrown for more TDs in 9 games than Teddy threw in his best season and will likely throw for a thousand more yards.

So go for it and put in Teddy. Yawn.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Ah yes, the check down short yardage myth. Here's little something I did on that a couple of year ago. Now, the first group is from prior to 2016, but their numbers really haven't changed. Bradfords is since he left the Rams and Goffs is his total to date. These are percentages of pass attempts that traveled the distance specified, through the air. NOT YAC. Now, keep one thing in mind. 4 percentage points means about 20 pass attempts during the year roughly 1.5 a game. The NFL QB average is about 69% BLOS to 10 yards, 28% 11-30 yards and 3% over 31 yards. And yes, while it looks like Bradford was checking down more than others, one has to remember that last year he had zero time to throw the ball behind a makeshift O-line.

One thing you gotta understand coming here and talkin Bradford is that many of us have been through the stages of fan grief with him. You know, belief, concern, anger, dismay. You're still in the belief stage and that's cool, I remember the days of making excuses for him. Enjoy it while it lasts.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
If that's what you want to call it. However, That's roughly 4% over the NFL standard. And 4% is roughly 20-22 passes year. So about 1.5 more shorter passes per game. Not a significant difference. So when someone says someone is dinking and dunking the only player I found that was really out of the norm was Brees. You also have to remember this is pass attempts, not completed passes. Some of those may be due to QB's throwing the ball away. Say a QB throws the ball away twice game to avoid sacks, that counts against him here.

Look, what this really shows is the myth of the dinking and dunking QB. 20-22 passes a year that are under 10 yards is not a significant difference to label a QB. Most QB's are right in that range, and most good ones maintain that over a period of years. Bradys' numbers remain relatively the same throughout his career. Does anyone consider him a dinkng and dunking QB?

Brees out of the norm? Not according that chart. Palmer in the other hand, way below his peers in passes <10 yards.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
One thing you gotta understand coming here and talkin Bradford is that many of us have been through the stages of fan grief with him. You know, belief, concern, anger, dismay. You're still in the belief stage and that's cool, I remember the days of making excuses for him. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Sorry, but he won't be back next year. To bad you can't separate him Playing for the Rams from him playing for other teams. Because after watching him I have to admit the Rams coaching staff did him no favors. And fortunately for you, Goff as new leaders. Because when you compare last years numbers to this years, that's not just from new people catching the ball from him. That's coaches making plays for him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sorry, but he won't be back next year. To bad you can't separate him Playing for the Rams from him playing for other teams. Because after watching him I have to admit the Rams coaching staff did him no favors. And fortunately for you, Goff as new leaders. Because when you compare last years numbers to this years, that's not just from new people catching the ball from him. That's coaches making plays for him.

Whatever you say man. Bradford will move on again, take money from another QB starved team, and that cycle will begin anew. Cheers and best of luck Sunday.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It’s called an actual offense. Our staff certainly did Bradford no favors but he was also fools gold in a lot of respects. He has talent but also takes a lot of unnecessary hits. If you watch the Gruden QB show with him, Gruden harped on that quite a bit before he ever played a game in the NFL.

James Otto

Starter

I didn't know that the coaches were on the field making plays. Come on man. Goff is changing 30% of the plays at the line. I've never seen Bradford make an audible in his life.

You were the one combining Goff's DOA from last year and this year to make a point. You can forget last year happened for Goff. He's a better QB than Bradford was/is/will be after 16 games into his career. Bradford's mental clock is just a bit slow.

You still haven't addressed the fact that Goff is #1 in YPA despite being #26 in Comp%. That tells the big story. And don't forget - despite the low sack total, Goff is pressured more than any QB in league, over 29% of the time. His ability to navigate the pocket equates to a poor man's Aaron Rodgers at this point.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I didn't miss the point. I know exactly what he was trying to say. Fact is, you can't dismiss those plays. They are part of the run game against the Rams. "Yeah, my team is good, except for those 4 long TD passes we gave up that cost us the games. Without those we would be 6-2 not 2-6." Same concept.

I think in his case you can. This is a new defense for all but two players on the team. So for the Rams, they should be showing progress. This thread demonstrates it. Where the Vikings have had the same mealy mouthed coach for a few years, and the same defense, that he has had the time to tailor to his liking. So, in Minnesota's case it is not as significant a factor.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
I didn't know that the coaches were on the field making plays. Come on man. Goff is changing 30% of the plays at the line. I've never seen Bradford make an audible in his life.

You were the one combining Goff's DOA from last year and this year to make a point. You can forget last year happened for Goff. He's a better QB than Bradford was/is/will be after 16 games into his career. Bradford's mental clock is just a bit slow.

You still haven't addressed the fact that Goff is #1 in YPA despite being #26 in Comp%. That tells the big story. And don't forget - despite the low sack total, Goff is pressured more than any QB in league, over 29% of the time. His ability to navigate the pocket equates to a poor man's Aaron Rodgers at this point.
YPA. Which includes the YAC obtained by the player who catches the ball. So, if you throw the ball 10 yards and the WR runs 20 it's still a 30 yard pass and the QB gets credit for 30 yards, not 10. So, subtract the YAC and see what his numbers are.

BTW, Bradford was changing plays at the LOS all last year.

ausmurp

Starter
Ah yes, the check down short yardage myth. Here's little something I did on that a couple of year ago. Now, the first group is from prior to 2016, but their numbers really haven't changed. Bradfords is since he left the Rams and Goffs is his total to date. These are percentages of pass attempts that traveled the distance specified, through the air. NOT YAC. Now, keep one thing in mind. 4 percentage points means about 20 pass attempts during the year roughly 1.5 a game. The NFL QB average is about 69% BLOS to 10 yards, 28% 11-30 yards and 3% over 31 yards. And yes, while it looks like Bradford was checking down more than others, one has to remember that last year he had zero time to throw the ball behind a makeshift O-line.

Code:
               BLOS-10yards       11-30 yards           31-40 yards
Brady              73.6              23.5                 2.9
Rivers             71.5              25.1                 3.4
Bridgewater        69.9              26.6                 3.5
Brees              68.8              27.3                 3.9
Wilson             68.0              27.0                 5.0
Rodgers            66.4              30.0                 3.6
Carr               65.1              31.5                 3.4
Palmer             55.4              37.4                 7.2

Bradford           74.0              23.5                 2.5
Goff               69.1              27.7                 3.2

Eh you can't count Goffs season last yr that season was a wash. Regardless the better team won this game in the trenches. I love Pat Elf and think he is already a top C. He made several plays to destroy the Rams DL. With 2 starting CBs out too it was easy for Keenum. That screen TD was all theilen though Keenum managed the game very well but he still will not take you far. Hope to see y'all again in the playoffs! That stadium is loud for sure, struggled to make play changes at the line.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah. Throw out my theory of our steady improvement. Our run D is a problem. We have to face it, and fix it.

ausmurp

Starter
We just don't have the right players up front to run a 34 with good run D. It KILLED us that we had no pass rush though. Vikings OL was absolutely outstanding in this game.

So many one-off plays though that could've changed the outcome. That does show that we're a good team. That almost sack fumble then missed sack that Keenum turned into a 1st down was one (anyone else in disbelief on this play I mean come on it's Case Freaking Keenum wtf) Kupp obviously had some others. It was much closer than the score for sure.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Getting Dominique Easley back in full form next season would be a huge help to the DL.
He might be done though.