A question for the deeper thinkers on the board. (Just kidding)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
OL was and is the biggest issue on our ‘19 team in terms of making the playoffs THIS year, right?

Sooooo...

Isn’t it curious that the blockbuster trade involved bailing on Peters and trading for Ramsey midseason? Such emphasis on D while our OL is flailing about?

Question: So, are the Rams really pursuing “win in ‘19” with this move, or is this merely for the long term benefits? To leave the OL unfinished if they’re serious about winning this year seems so Un-Snead/McVay like, don’t you think?

OR is there another OL trade in the Rams near future? One that could return our OL to at least league average? I sure wouldn’t rule it out after yesterday’s moves. I have no clue how such a meaningful move would be affordable, but that’s another story.

Seems so strange to ignore the OL while spending immense resources on the D IF they are still committed to winning this year. Might be kinda like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic after hitting the iceberg.

Not a criticism of the Ramsey trade, btw. I get that. Just curious as to why they’ve left the OL dangling. So far, anyway.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think they are hell bent on developing these young OL. If they do, this all falls together beutifuly.

Cheap labor on the OL abd big name skill players.

Kromer is a critical piece right now. He had to get it done.

3 of these 7 need to become quality starters and a solid reserve or two would be nice as well.

Noteboom
Allen
Demby
Evans
Edwards
Corbett
Brewer

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
I think we may not be done making moves yet and we also had a big need on defense with all these injuries. I'm holding off to see exactly what is done and how things pan out to comment too much on how I feel about what happened yesterday

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
A lot of good quality O-line players come from the 2nd and 3rd rounds. They also take some time to adjust to the NFL. Very few College programs run O-lines as NFL offenses do. That's why there is such a shortage of good quality starters from the draft. If you have a couple of 2nd and 3rd rounders you have to give them 2-3 years to develop into quality NFL lineman. Just the way it is.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think you are always looking to improve. Les has probably been trying to get this deal done since Ramsey asked for a trade. He had to work it out with the Jags and find a suitor for Peters. In the meantime, the offense shit the bed. So - yeah, the line needs some work but that is no reason not to grab a probable hall of famer while the getting is good.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
OL was and is the biggest issue on our ‘19 team in terms of making the playoffs THIS year, right?

Sooooo...

Isn’t it curious that the blockbuster trade involved bailing on Peters and trading for Ramsey midseason? Such emphasis on D while our OL is flailing about?

Question: So, are the Rams really pursuing “win in ‘19” with this move, or is this merely for the long term benefits? To leave the OL unfinished if they’re serious about winning this year seems so Un-Snead/McVay like, don’t you think?

OR is there another OL trade in the Rams near future? One that could return our OL to at least league average? I sure wouldn’t rule it out after yesterday’s moves. I have no clue how such a meaningful move would be affordable, but that’s another story.

Seems so strange to ignore the OL while spending immense resources on the D IF they are still committed to winning this year. Might be kinda like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic after hitting the iceberg.

Not a criticism of the Ramsey trade, btw. I get that. Just curious as to why they’ve left the OL dangling. So far, anyway.

It's probably not all by choice, there may just be more quality young defensive players being made available by their teams. All 3 Rams acquisitions are 24 years old, so they were pretty specific in seeking out first contract veteran players with plenty of years ahead of them if they work out.
I commented yesterday that these trades may be more about 2020 than 2019, for the same reasons, that our OL depth is still a work in progress, especially following a serious injury. The Rams have now settled at least two positions which would have otherwise likely required 2020 draft picks, CB & ILB. Whether Corbett becomes a starter or another depth pick is yet undecided, but his cost is fairly small and a worthy gamble. The Rams can now, primarily, narrow their focus for our 2020 free agency and draft on both the O and D lines, perhaps also seek out a #3 TE, a #5 WR, and increased DB depth. jmo.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Only valuable OL available now is Williams and he is 31. Not to mention that OL is hardest spot to plug and play, as the 5 have to play as a unit.

Rams are in trouble if Kromer can't develop the young players.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Sooooo...

Good points.
However. 2 of our losses were due mostly, to poor defensive play.

The Oline is still bad, though.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Gonna come down to Evans and Edwards development. Need to hit on one of them at a minimum.

Turducken

Starter
I think these were long term moves that could also help position Rams for a late season run (but that wasn't the primary motivation).

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I think there is more to come, We just got LB insurance won't be surprised if we package someone from the existing LB group in a trade for O.L help.

If we don't make more moves I would be really surprised

bluecoconuts

Legend
If you have holes you can address you address them. Chances are there wasn’t much out there for the line, otherwise I think you’d have seen something there.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I think there are more trades up until the deadline, October 29th by the Rams. Brandon Cooks might get moved for an OL or pick(s).

The price for "Rams"ey is steep: two first rounders. I'd prefer Snead add Demby and some future sixth and seventh rounders to Shad Khan instead of a 2021 first.

I'm just thinking outside the box and long-term here.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
It's probably just timing and availabilty. Snead knows it's a weakness and Im sure he's been exploring all options. IMO, it's a combination of other teams not willing to give up quality OL talent (right away) and Ramsey being too good to pass up.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think you are always looking to improve. Les has probably been trying to get this deal done since Ramsey asked for a trade. He had to work it out with the Jags and find a suitor for Peters. In the meantime, the offense shit the bed. So - yeah, the line needs some work but that is no reason not to grab a probable hall of famer while the getting is good.

According to Snead in his PC, the trades were independent of one another. They apparently made the decision to move on from Peters a couple of weeks ago and it was about a good trade coming together.

They were prepared to trade away Peters and start Long and Hill if need be... so I'm thrilled they got us Ramsey.

Thrilled.

MachS

Hall of Fame
You get a HOF talent at any position when you can, so not mad at the trade.

However our o-line will keep holding us back this year. Like the Corbett trade but just dont know how this line competes at a high level against playoff caliber teams. Just not enough talent and Havenstein has fallen off a cliff this year. We still need to find a way to trade for another OL bad.

Our OL is currently ranked 32/32 teams and we're rolling out: Whitworth-Edwards-Allen-Blythe-Havenstein this week. :oops:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, part of me wonders if there isn't another trade coming. Maybe even one that shocks us.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Not sure what the Rams could trade for a starting OLineman. Couple of second rounders? Maybe a WR. But it would have to be for someone not getting paid much (unless Cooks was traded).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think they are hell bent on developing these young OL. If they do, this all falls together beutifuly.

Cheap labor on the OL abd big name skill players.

Kromer is a critical piece right now. He had to get it done.

3 of these 7 need to become quality starters and a solid reserve or two would be nice as well.

Noteboom
Allen
Demby
Evans
Edwards
Corbett
Brewer

Kromer said that he felt Noteboom was really starting to get its done said he did some nice things against the Niners. I hope so. I’d hate to whiff on both he and Allen.