A number of Ram players have something to prove this year, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
In no particular order...

Todd Gurley. Which Gurley will show up this year? The '16 version or that 5 game only '15 version? Show us the money, Todd!

Tavon Austin. Might be the biggest prove it player this year. $10.5 million per needs to be justified by some serious production somewhere. Big challenge for Tavon and McVay early on. Otherwise, there's no shortage of eager players at WR and PR. We also have some interesting players in the wings at RB, don't you think?

Sully. Can he stay healthy? If he can, I like him at starting C. A lot. But if he can't stay healthy, Oh Boy! It might be scary, huh?

Rob Havenstein. Is he a quality RT, or what? Are we gonna see that rookie Hav again? Fingers crossed.

Jamon Brown. Big year for Jamon. I think it could go either way. This year will determine whether he can be a quality starter or is he destined to be a career backup. Kromer is gonna have his quality RG by '18, one way or another. Hope it's you, Jamon. Good luck.

Higbee. I know it's only his 2nd year, but this is a prove it situation nonetheless. Everett looks like the "starter" in the very near future, so Higs must prove that he deserves to be that 2nd deployed TE in sets for McVay. Hands and blocking need improvement over what we've seen so far this PS. Otherwise, McVay will find his 2nd TE elsewhere in '18. Hemingway should be healthy by '18, btw. Just sayin'. Cough, cough.

Barron. Does he fit well in this 3-4 Wade D? Apparently, Wade thinks so, but I think that Barron needs to really stand out there this year to justify his salary. Let's face it, there are some LB's already on this roster that seem likely to be ready to jump in there by '18 should Barron stumble. And Barron's salary is a biggie, sooooo...

TruJo. Don't laugh. I know that many assume that he's a goner after this year. But if he has a big year and loves playing in LA and for Wade, why not extend with the Rams? 'Course, unless he has a big year (probably a REALLY big year), why would the Rams be interested? All depends on what kind of year TruJo has, I think. Another that could go either way.

Webster. Finally gets his chance to be a starter, but will he be a quality starter? Wade wanted him pretty badly, so there is that. Needs a big year. Yet another one that could go either way.

Joyner. Is he gonna be a top FS, or what? Many have thought that FS is his best position, but Joyner hasn't exactly blown the doors off yet, has he? He needs to have a statement season if he hopes to be extended, that's for sure.

Alexander. I only include him because of his new position. Contract year plus new position at SS, by definition, means that he has something to prove. I'm fairly confident that he will justify his promise, but there's no substitute for seeing it on the field, is there?

Goff. I saved the biggest for last. Goff needn't be Brady like, but he does need to demonstrate substantial improvement this season. And improvement should continue to be seen steadily as this season progresses. Otherwise, McVay strikes me as a HC that might look in another direction for the '18 season. I'm serious.

There are other players that I've skipped over. In fact, every year is a prove it year for every player when one gets right down to it. But I thought the above were the ones most pivotal and pressing in this first season under McVay.

How did I do?

Please be gentle. Lol.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't disagree with a thing you stated. I think you could compile a list like this for most teams in the NFL. Rosters turn over faster and faster nowadays. Starters have to continue to prove themselves worthy, especially if they have signed for the big $. That is why depth at key positions is so important and why good teams tend to suffer less when they lose a starter via injury or FA. Watch how well Hogan will play for the Putriots this year now that Edelman is out. Next. Man. UP!!!!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I believe we'll have a very different roster by 2019....Only guys that probably stick are Gurley...and Webster.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Every single NFL player has to constantly prove their worth throughout their entire career. Someone is always trying to take your job.

It's a production business. If you don't produce... you don't have a job. Every player knows this.

I often think that players who have signed a big fat contract (one that can take care of them for life financially) don't play with the same commitment as they had to in order to get that contract. There are exceptions obviously... the guys who LOVE the game... but I see production drop offs all the time from players who have received big paydays. Those are the players that concern me the most, and they're the ones who I expect to have a decline production wise.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Excellent post and I would also add McVay onto that list. It's time people focus more on the quality of his job then his age

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Might be the biggest prove it player this year. $10.5 million per needs to be justified by some serious production somewhere. Big challenge for Tavon and McVay early on. Otherwise, there's no shortage of eager players at WR and PR. We also have some interesting players in the wings at RB, don't you think?
McVay will be effective in showcasing TA in the backfield & short cleared out areas. Only thing stopping TA from being a shooting star is his hands & his showboating.
Sully. Can he stay healthy? If he can, I like him at starting C. A lot. But if he can't stay healthy, Oh Boy! It might be scary, huh?
I feel much better about John Sullivan I expect no concerns.Austin Blythe has proven to be a much better reserve than Demetrius Rhaney. Even UDFA interior OL'er Jake Eldrenkamp has shown he is a keeper. If JS goes down Kromer has this covered. @den-the-coach
Rob Havenstein. Is he a quality RT, or what? Are we gonna see that rookie Hav again? Fingers crossed.
Rob pass protection with smaller quicker ER's will remain an issue. McVay will need to get him some help from time to time chip chip chip I suggest Cory Harkey over Higbee. Bottom line: I expect a healthy Andrew Donnal to be our starting RT by the bye.
Jamon Brown. Big year for Jamon. I think it could go either way. This year will determine whether he can be a quality starter or is he destined to be a career backup. Kromer is gonna have his quality RG by '18, one way or another. Hope it's you, Jamon. Good luck.
Brown will be OK but if Andrew Donnal returns to health you may see Kromer insert Havenstein back in @ RG with Donnal starting @ RT.
Higbee. I know it's only his 2nd year, but this is a prove it situation nonetheless. Everett looks like the "starter" in the very near future, so Higs must prove that he deserves to be that 2nd deployed TE in sets for McVay. Hands and blocking need improvement over what we've seen so far this PS. Otherwise, McVay will find his 2nd TE elsewhere in '18. Hemingway should be healthy by '18, btw. Just sayin'. Cough, cough.
I expect very little in production from him. Better utilize Everett & Harkey instead.
Barron. Does he fit well in this 3-4 Wade D? Apparently, Wade thinks so, but I think that Barron needs to really stand out there this year to justify his salary. Let's face it, there are some LB's already on this roster that seem likely to be ready to jump in there by '18 should Barron stumble. And Barron's salary is a biggie, sooooo...
Barron will fit in perfectly between Quinn & Ogletree a perfect threesome. No worries here. Barron's back up is going to be real good Josh Forrest.
Joyner. Is he gonna be a top FS, or what? Many have thought that FS is his best position, but Joyner hasn't exactly blown the doors off yet, has he? He needs to have a statement season if he hopes to be extended, that's for sure.
LJ is proving me wrong up to this point in time. He is having issues..It would not surprise me if Cody Davis or Blake Countess beat him out of the FS post forcing him back to Nickle & Dime responsibilities.:(@LACHAMP46
Alexander. I only include him because of his new position. Contract year plus new position at SS, by definition, means that he has something to prove. I'm fairly confident that he will justify his promise, but there's no substitute for seeing it on the field, is there?
Hard to tell @ this point from pre season action there's little evidence out there in 2017 & what there is poor. SS Marqui Christian has been gaining on Mo IMO in pre season action.
How did I do?
:cheers:

Last edited:

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Great list.

I would add Sammy Watkins, Robert Quinn, and Roger Saffold to the list as well. Watkins has more leeway since the Rams traded a draft pick to get him but he will be a FA at the end of the season and he has to prove he is truly worth another big contract by staying on the field for a full season and being the big play man we hope/expect.

I love Quinn but he needs to prove he can stay healthy this year.

Safford also needs to have another healthy season to stick around IMO as I think the Rams will concentrate on the o-line next offseason.

Last edited:

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
LJ is proving me wrong up to this point in time. He is having issues..It would not surprise me if Cody Davis or Blake Countess beat him out of the FS post forcing him back to Nickle & Dime responsibilities.:(@LACHAMP46

I wonder if his starting spot is safe too. For me it was curious that LJ was one of the few starters on defense that played against SD.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Somewhat off topic, but I'm not sure what Alexander has accomplished to justify an 88 rating in Madden.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McVay will be effective in showcasing TA in the backfield & short cleared out areas. Only thing stopping TA from being a shooting star is his hands & his showboating.
I feel much better about John Sullivan I expect no concerns.Austin Blythe has proven to be a much better reserve than Demetrius Rhaney. Even UDFA interior OL'er Jake Eldrenkamp has shown he is a keeper. If JS goes down Kromer has this covered. @den-the-coach
Rob pass protection with smaller quicker ER's will remain an issue. McVay will need to get him some help from time to time chip chip chip I suggest Cory Harkey over Higbee. Bottom line: I expect a healthy Andrew Donnal to be our starting RT by the bye.
Brown will be OK but if Andrew Donnal returns to health you may see Kromer insert Havenstein back in @ RG with Donnal starting @ RT.
I expect very little in production from him. Better utilize Everett & Harkey instead.
Barron will fit in perfectly between Quinn & Ogletree a perfect threesome. No worries here. Barron's back up is going to be real good Josh Forrest.
Hard to tell @ this point from pre season action there's little evidence out there in 2017 & what there is poor. SS Marqui Christian has been gaining on Mo IMO in pre season action.

Very nice and detailed reply, Bonifay.

Just a word about Cody Davis as a starting FS if Joyner struggles.

Gulp...

Davis lacks instincts. He has great timed speed, but he always seems to arrive late. Not good for a FS.

SOMEBODY else better be able to step up if Joyner struggles. Surely Wade has a better Plan B?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watch how well Hogan will play for the Putriots this year now that Edelman is out. Next. Man. UP!!!!!
Hogan already found his place with the Pats, even with a healthy Edelman.
Watch them pick up Victor Cruz after the Bears discard him, then we will know they can truly turn shidt in to shanola!

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SOMEBODY else better be able to step up if Joyner struggles. Surely Wade has a better Plan B?

Nice write ups Rams43 and Bonifay! Re Joyner's struggles... I have wondered if Wade might move Barron back to SS, which is his natural position. Move Mo back to FS, where he played well last year. And move a bigger linebacker in to take Barron's place. I guess it all depends on Joyner. What do you guys think of this idea?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Nice write ups Rams43 and Bonifay! Re Joyner's struggles... I have wondered if Wade might move Barron back to SS, which is his natural position. Move Mo back to FS, where he played well last year. And move a bigger linebacker in to take Barron's place. I guess it all depends on Joyner. What do you guys think of this idea?
In truth Wade is in great shape with good FS prospects. There is no need to settle for below average play performance coming from that deep secondary post.

First name comes to my mind is Rookie 3rd round selection John Johnson to replace LJ or Cody or Blake when the time is right.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/john-johnson?id=2558183

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I believe we'll have a very different roster by 2019....Only guys that probably stick are Gurley...and Webster.
You can't turnover a roster that quickly. Also you don't see one single receiver? All our guys are young. We still have players from 2015. Lots of them. It won't happen.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tavon Austin. Might be the biggest prove it player this year. $10.5 million per needs to be justified by some serious production somewhere. Big challenge for Tavon and McVay early on. Otherwise, there's no shortage of eager players at WR and PR. We also have some interesting players in the wings at RB, don't you think?
I didn't really like the contract the Rams offered Tavon, but I sort of understood it. You're paying him for 4 positions. X, Z, RB2, PR. He's also a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Operative word being -- "threat". That threat was markedly diminished by not having any other weapons on the field to game-plan for. Nobody was afraid of Quick, or Britt, or Kendricks, or Cook, or Keenum, etc. Subsequently, coaches could game-plan for him and allocate resources to stopping him without fear of someone else killing them. I heard more than a few coaches yell "Eleven!" every time he came onto the field. That *could* all change this year now that they have a few extra guys on the field who command respect. Watkins, Woods, Kupp, a resurgent Gurley - hell, even Everett could emerge as the focal point of defensive coordinators. *IF* everything clicks, and teams are forced to just man-up on Tavon, then he could have a tremendous year.

Of course all of that is contingent upon the QB being - at a minimum - efficient.

fearsomefour

Legend
Nothing against Donnal but if he hasn't improved RT should be priority number one next off season.
I think Blake will see the field a fair amount, you can Countess on it.

fearsomefour

Legend
Great list.

I would add Sammy Watkins, Robert Quinn, and Roger Saffold to the list as well. Watkins has more leeway since the Rams traded a draft pick to get him but he will be a FA at the end of the season and he has to prove he is truly worth another big contract by staying on the field for a full season and being the big play man we hope/expect.

I love Quinn but he needs to prove he can stay healthy this year.

Safford also needs to have another healthy season to stick around IMO as I think the Rams will concentrate on the o-line next offseason.
I would think there is a real chance Quinn, Barwin, Saffold and Barron aren't on the roster next year. Would love all of them to perform and be retained of course. Money speaks though.

fearsomefour

Legend
I didn't really like the contract the Rams offered Tavon, but I sort of understood it. You're paying him for 4 positions. X, Z, RB2, PR. He's also a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Operative word being -- "threat". That threat was markedly diminished by not having any other weapons on the field to game-plan for. Nobody was afraid of Quick, or Britt, or Kendricks, or Cook, or Keenum, etc. Subsequently, coaches could game-plan for him and allocate resources to stopping him without fear of someone else killing them. I heard more than a few coaches yell "Eleven!" every time he came onto the field. That *could* all change this year now that they have a few extra guys on the field who command respect. Watkins, Woods, Kupp, a resurgent Gurley - hell, even Everett could emerge as the focal point of defensive coordinators. *IF* everything clicks, and teams are forced to just man-up on Tavon, then he could have a tremendous year.

Of course all of that is contingent upon the QB being - at a minimum - efficient.
Austin still accounted for just over 1,000 yards of offense last year, including punts.
I agree he could be a huge beneficiary of the improved talent on the O. I've said he doesn't need 20 touches a game, but, he does need to be used correctly. He average just over 8 yards a catch last year. I would expect to see that number jump this year....and not by running deep routes. Having solid receivers like Woods, Kupp and a threat like Watkins could really open up intermediate stuff for Austin. Bringing him in motion, creating mismatches with him could open things up.
If the running game works with Gurley another issue, getting everyone touches, may be a concern....who thought that could be the case.
I keep having a picture of Austin running that middle cross underneath Watkins and Everett.
I don't think Austin will ever be the 100 catch typical 1 WR, but, he could be a difference maker and score nearly a TD a game.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Williams. Donnal, Wichmann, Blythe and Eldecamp will all get signifigant playing time on the OL. I expect the Rams to draft an OL the first day of the draft next year too.